Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
We have a Kenwood TS-570 D from an SK donated to the club.  I checked it out yesterday, and all seems good.  Not just on the air, but connected
the Daiwa CNW-702b SWR-Power meter to it.  It is putting out.  This one has a built in tuner, too.

The good?  The bad?  The ugly?

Something good for HF for a new ham?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is the hidden secret of used rigs. It was my first and did an awesome job.

Controls are right inline with the TS2000 and now TS590.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd make room for it beside my 850!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]

I went back and reviewed the specs and it's not a bad rig for it's day. I wouldn't drive the TX too hard as the worst case IMD was around -28 dBc on 17M I believe. It only has room for one filter, IIRC the 270 Hz filter rang so I'd recommend the 500 Hz cw filter. There were several versions with and with out 6M and an improved Audio DSP filter that came along a bit later.
Rob
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 570S version and really like it.  Don't have any complaints, but then again, I don't need bells and whistles on a rig.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure it has 6 m or not.  It does have a second SO-239, but I think that's for a second antenna.

But it looks to be in good condition.  A fair price for it?  It was given to the club (with other gear) to be sold to help
defray our expenses.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Check and see if it has 6M all you have to do is step through the bands. gl hth 73, Rob
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Coincident,  a member of our club was just given a TS570 and 6 other items from the wife of a SK.  

The member spoke with the family and they agreed to let him give them away to club members if he kept something for himself.  He kept the TS570

They gave away the Yaesu 2m mobile last meeting, still have another complete Kenwood HF station, a HF amp, beam, rotor and tower and a couple more 'lots' to go.

Good stations!

JLE
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
There are four wires on the power cord.  Only the outside two wires go to + and - on the power supply.  What are the other two wires for?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#9]
As a new ham, I really like it.  There is not much it won't due.  Mine does not have the 6 meter, so I use my TS-480 for that.

Have not tried to do digital with it.

The menus are alright.  I don't change much on mine I use the set it and forget it, until something comes up.

The tuner works good, of course if the antenna is out more than 3 it will not tune it.  Am working on hooking up external tuner for that.

So for a new ham I think it would be great.

I've hit New Zealand with it and a cushcraft r7000 vertical on the roof of the house.           If the antenna work as good as the radio I've have no complaints about my station.

For me it is a very good radio and I don't see anything else for a radio in my future, but I do see a new antenna.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you, 77!  So, for a new ham needing a rig, we can recommend this model.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#11]
The 570 was my first hf rig. It is a great radio. I will not sell mine. The layout is very simple and does digital well. The dsp is first generation so it will not perform as well as the new rigs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one but did not care much about it. Sold it after 6 month in favor of an Icom 756 pro3. The Icom was a much much better radio but cost more too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top