Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2014 11:47:20 AM EDT
9 Dec 14 update.

I have learned so much over the last 18 months. When I first came here I had only operated SSB phone on my boatanchor TS-530. Since then I've learned almost all digital modes, some CW, how to make an antenna resonant, got involved with MARS and plan to upgrade to Extra and get my VEC certification to bring more into our hobby.

If I get asked where to go as a ham in an online community to feel welcome to have questions answered I will certainly send them here, not only the best rifle community board, but the best ham forum as well. Thank you guys for your support and assistance during my deployment, it's been a learning experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since my unit displaced and moved location, I have been having a near impossible task of finding a new "shack". Unlike my last location where I could operate from my room, that is an impossibility where I live now.

I do have permission, under the pretext of my MARS obligations, to operate from atop the U.S. HQ and the Australian rec center, problem is, there is no electrical power and my laptop will currently run about 0 seconds on battery. Until I get a new battery for my laptop, I decided to try running some Psk31 tests with my ipad and the PSKer app. I prepared for some likely downtime while waiting on the ANA to take the opportunity to do some mobile ops.

I wasn't able to operate for very long, maybe a half hour, but it did prove the concept for me and identified some configuration changes I need to make to make it work more efficiently, and I did get a couple QSO's.

Getting set up atop an Afghan office at one of our work locations.

Not much needed to be effective with the KX3 & ipad. It is quite a bit slower typing on the ipad and not having a rig control like HRD.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
very cool.

I don't see a counterpoise for the buddistick.

What whip is that?

Was that set for 10m?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
What sling you running on your M4, Chief?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice setup, elcope!
That looks just like the original heatsink on your KX3.  
Stay safe,
BD
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I was wondering where his PPE is
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The spine crusher?  Only wore mine when I was bicycling.  

He's in an Afghan compound, so it's probably in the truck.  Chiefs are gonna chief.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.

I like that fence, looks like it was welded by a couple of goat herders with a car battery though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
very cool.

I don't see a counterpoise for the buddistick.

What whip is that?

Was that set for 10m?
View Quote

No counterpoise, I just grounded it to the fence, worked well enough.

Whip is the Lightweight Shock-cord Whip Antenna 5 section from buddipole, works real well.

Was getting the best signals on 20M.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll have to check, I can't remember at the moment.

ETA: It's a Giles Wilderness 3 point sling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice setup, elcope!
That looks just like the original heatsink on your KX3.  
Stay safe,
BD
View Quote

I'm waiting on some definitive test results before I add on.

Hint, hint.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He's in an Afghan compound, so it's probably in the truck.  Chiefs are gonna chief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was in the truck and within compliance, of our units TTP's.

Advising is fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool.

I like that fence, looks like it was welded by a couple of goat herders with a car battery though.
View Quote

More popcorn than a movie theater.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have a shorter coax cable? I'm not sure that coil of coax is helping anything.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
You can run PSK directly from an iPad into the KX3? That is a great mobile digital setup!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't see Piccolo in the Pic?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool pictures!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... problem is, there is no electrical power and my laptop will currently run about 0 seconds on battery. Until I get a new battery for my laptop ...
View Quote

can you provide the make and model number of your laptop, or better yet the P/N on the battery itself?   i also need your address.

thanks,
ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

can you provide the make and model number of your laptop, or better yet the P/N on the battery itself?   i also need your address.

thanks,
ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... problem is, there is no electrical power and my laptop will currently run about 0 seconds on battery. Until I get a new battery for my laptop ...

thanks,
ar-jedi

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you give me a rundown of all the equipment in use here? I would LOVE to duplicate your setup.

KX3,...obviously.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatcha need is a hand or foot generator of some sort.

"Private, do you know how to ride a bicycle?"

Good show, Elcope. Guerrilla portable can be fun!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Two thumbs up!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whatcha need is a hand or foot generator of some sort.

"Private, do you know how to ride a bicycle?"

Good show, Elcope. Guerrilla portable can be fun!
View Quote

How about a rubbing alcohol generator?  Probably can't get the full 900W out of it, but should get 500W or so.  This is exactly the situation PARover butchered a generator for:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1551220_backbencher_s_dilemma___Modifying_a_HF__89_gen_to_run_on_ethanol_PX_supplies__1_27_2014_final_update.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks,
ar-jedi

Thank You, I just bought a battery, it's en-route to the house, just need to have the Wife send it once I find out how long I'm staying here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you give me a rundown of all the equipment in use here? I would LOVE to duplicate your setup.

KX3,...obviously.
View Quote

KX3 with cable accessories, just need the cable from headphone output to mic input. Ipad with the "PSKer" app. Buddistick with longer shockcord whip vs shorter collapsable whip. Cool "tactical" pouch that holds the KX3 and accessories that I bought at the German PX.

That's it.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool stuff man.  I have spent a lot of time over where you are in a big metal tube with wings.  Fooled around on the HF a bit.  Didn't TX on the ham bands, but there is some interesting stuff out there to listen to.  Really fun to hear all those rare DX countries (from the states) loud and clear.  Have done a little hamming out over international waters though.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

KX3 with cable accessories, just need the cable from headphone output to mic input. Ipad with the "PSKer" app. Buddistick with longer shockcord whip vs shorter collapsable whip. Cool "tactical" pouch that holds the KX3 and accessories that I bought at the German PX.

That's it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KX3,...obviously.

That's it.  

That's very nice, will it key the rig via VOX? Or do you key manually?
I may need to get a KX3...if it's that easy to run portable digital then that could be my justification that I've been looking for!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I may need to get a KX3...if it's that easy to run portable digital then that could be my justification that I've been looking for!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KX3,...obviously.

That's it.  

I'm sure it will key VOX when I get the right configuration settings, so I did have to key it manually.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#27]

I was able to make up a Y cable that uses the mic input on the Ipad and the speaker output so you can avoid using the external speaker or mic on the ipad and everything is connectorized.

It's a pretty simple cable I can photoshop up a schematic if you like.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was able to make up a Y cable that uses the mic input on the Ipad and the speaker output so you can avoid using the external speaker or mic on the ipad and everything is connectorized.

View Quote

Yes I would, but I don't think my ipad has a mic jack, just an integral embedded mic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes I would, but I don't think my ipad has a mic jack, just an integral embedded mic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the sneaky part.
Your Ipad has a mic jack, but you need a 4-ring connector to access it *and* in order to fool the stupid ipad into using that mic instead of the outboard one you need a resistor in the mix in the cable.

You can buy the splitter cables online that split the 4-ring out to two 3-ring females, one for mic and one for headphones, but I don't think any of them include the resistor and so unless you actually use a mic with them they don't work.  The radios output does not look like a mic, which is why you have to add the resistor to fool it.

Stupid Apple couldn't just use a regular press open jack connector...oh no.

Some relevant information that got me moving in the right direction with this.

You will still need your VOX and volume set up and adjusted properly.  And watch out because the ipad will occasionally drop the overall volume to almost nil for some unknown reason when plugging/unplugging the cables.  But in the end you are wind-proof and not bugging anyone with all that 'alien-talk'.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Oh cool...so they are available with an appropriate resistor in the feed.

Still...$37 with shipping.  I think I have about $2 invested in mine, minus the research and soldering time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's the sneaky part.
Your Ipad has a mic jack, but you need a 4-ring connector to access it *and* in order to fool the stupid ipad into using that mic instead of the outboard one you need a resistor in the mix in the cable.

You can buy the splitter cables online that split the 4-ring out to two 3-ring females, one for mic and one for headphones, but I don't think any of them include the resistor and so unless you actually use a mic with them they don't work.  The radios output does not look like a mic, which is why you have to add the resistor to fool it.

Stupid Apple couldn't just use a regular press open jack connector...oh no.

Some relevant information that got me moving in the right direction with this.

You will still need your VOX and volume set up and adjusted properly.  And watch out because the ipad will occasionally drop the overall volume to almost nil for some unknown reason when plugging/unplugging the cables.  But in the end you are wind-proof and not bugging anyone with all that 'alien-talk'.
View Quote

Very interesting, I did not know that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like this thread is getting attention in some circles.

http://sparks31.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/guerrilla-style-portable-in-afghanistan/
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks like this thread is getting attention in some circles.

http://sparks31.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/guerrilla-style-portable-in-afghanistan/
View Quote

Thanks for the link. I just picked up another manual to read. Glad to see you are some attention in the right places.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anything else you need out there?
View Quote

^^^ This from me too!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#38]
You outta PHX?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

^^^ This from me too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything else you need out there?

^^^ This from me too!

Thank You both, I'm doing well and want for (almost) nothing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You outta PHX?
View Quote

Been at KAIA for the last couple months.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Are by any chance at the same base the USACE G6 is on?

You can PM me if you want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are by any chance at the same base the USACE G6 is on?

You can PM me if you want.
View Quote

I think they are at NKC, not here at KAIA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Got a chance to get out again and operate off some rooftops, but wasn't able to get any pics.  Made QSO with one of my MARS buddies and listened to a lot of PSK31 but couldn't QSO with anyone, they just couldn't hear my 5W.

Pic of how compact a setup can be. KX3 in the Condor deployment bag, antenna bag with Buddistick and accessories plus the extended shockcord whip and the iPad with PSKer. That's all it takes.

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#44]
That is very cool , stay safe
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#45]
A few more watts would sure help.
I'm getting spots over there running 25-30 watts on jt65.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll have my amp back in 10 days or so, so I should be able to solve some technical issues with the application of more power.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll have my amp back in 10 days or so, so I should be able to solve some technical issues with the application of more power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost time for me to stay up late (or get up early?) to see if I make it over there again.  

Not getting my hopes up but I'll certainly give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#48]
A couple more days and I will relocate my antenna and that should let me push out more watts.

(I have my ultimax duct taped to a lighting pole that just happens to be metal. I know dumb but I wanted to see if height would help. It did. The height helped, not the pole being metal)

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its funny that 20-30 watts is the sweet spot for commo aint it...
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for some digital it is. Normal nights lately I need 25 watts on 20 to be seen in europe. Bagged a ZL the other night on 17 meters with 30 watts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top