Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2014 7:48:38 PM EDT
So I've been searching for a higher gain antenna for my Baofeng UV B5 and the name that comes up most is Nagoya.  Any feedback on this manufacturer?

I'll be carrying my HT with me on hikes, road trips, camping, etc and would like to improve rx/tx with an aftermarket stick.  Has anyone upgraded the stock antenna for the UV B5?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Nagoya NA-701 for mine. I noticed a difference immediately. Seems like a solid antenna for as cheap as they are. Haven't had any troubles.

I don't have it on the radio right now, but here's a pic of it to compare it's size.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Unlike with some of the other Baofeng models, the original flexible antenna shipped with the B5 is downright respectable.

Unless you're replacing it with something that's physically much bigger, you probably aren't going to see any improvement.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unlike with some of the other Baofeng models, the original flexible antenna shipped with the B5 is downright respectable.

Unless you're replacing it with something that's physically much bigger, you probably aren't going to see any improvement.
View Quote

I don't have a license, so I can't speak for it's effectiveness in transmitting, but I can tell you this. When I bought the radio I had the stock antenna
on it, and I couldn't pick up a couple freq's. that I wanted to hear, but after I put the Nagoya in the picture on I could pick up all of them with no problem.
FWIW the repeater I was listening to is 14 miles away from my house, and transmits I believe at 50 watts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Nagoya NA-701 seems to work a little better then stock antenna. It's dirt cheap on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't have a license, so I can't speak for it's effectiveness in transmitting, but I can tell you this. When I bought the radio I had the stock antenna
on it, and I couldn't pick up a couple freq's. that I wanted to hear, but after I put the Nagoya in the picture on I could pick up all of them with no problem.
FWIW the repeater I was listening to is 14 miles away from my house, and transmits I believe at 50 watts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeh, but you've got a Baofeng model that comes with a crappy original antenna.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not very well versed in radio communications by any means. I literally feel like a dumbass just reading some of the posts here. So with that being said
would putting an antenna that cost more than the radio itself make much of a difference? Is there an antenna other than one on a tower or roof or something
that would do any better than say the Nagoya I have on mine?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
would putting an antenna that cost more than the radio itself make much of a difference? Is there an antenna other than one on a tower or roof or something
that would do any better than say the Nagoya I have on mine?
View Quote

You bet!

Even if you can't put anything up outdoors, an attic antenna would still be a huge improvement over any radio-mounted antenna.

A couple of suggestions:

N9TAX's Slim-Jim
Arrow Antennas Open-Stub J-Pole
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  The B5 works well in stock form IME.

The 5R stock antenna though is pathetic.  Just another reason why I generally suggest the B5 model instead of the 5R.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
My B5 easily hits repeaters 20-25 miles away with the stock rubber duck.

Edit 30-35 miles.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
So, I've been bitten by this particular variety of the BRD and am scheduled to take my exams at the end of the month.  In preparation for that, I've ordered up a B5 that should show up tomorrow.

I will get a Slim Jim in the near future as I'm a little out of town and I expect it will help to hit the repeaters in downtown San Antonio.

My question for the hive is which version of the antenna/lead/connector is best to get?

Should I get the model with the long lead and the specific connector for the B5 or should I get the antenna with a short lead and N-male connector so that it is more "universal" and get an adapter cable to mate the antenna to this particular radio?

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated!

PropellerHead
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Should I get the model with the long lead and the specific connector for the B5 or should I get the antenna with a short lead and N-male connector so that it is more "universal" and get an adapter cable to mate the antenna to this particular radio?
View Quote

As long as you don't anticipate (1.) mounting the antenna somewhere that'll still require an extension cable, or (2.) also using the antenna with another radio that has a different connector type, the long-lead Slim Jim version with specific connector for the B5 is probably the way to go - No other stuff required.

Later on, you can still install a connector adapter and/or extension cable, if you ever need them.

Good luck with your exam!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The Smiley 270A is pretty slick:

The BNC and SMA male version can be ordered through their website.  I understand an SMA female version can be ordered by phone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
telescoping antenna is a really good way of toasting an HT, and they break easily.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This.  The B5 works well in stock form IME.

The 5R stock antenna though is pathetic.  Just another reason why I generally suggest the B5 model instead of the 5R.
View Quote

In that case, is there any reason the antenna that comes with the B5 wouldn't work as an upgrade to the 5R?

And what do you mean by "toast an HT"?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

"Toast" would refer to destroying the final RF amplifier transistors (often referred to as "finals") usually do to extremely high SWR.  In the case of the telescoping antenna, failing to extend it to the proper length to match the selected transmit frequency could cause enough of mis-match to destroy the finals.

Hopes this helps.

Radiolax

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Toast" would refer to destroying the final RF amplifier transistors (often referred to as "finals") usually do to extremely high SWR.  In the case of the telescoping antenna, failing to extend it to the proper length to match the selected transmit frequency could cause enough of mis-match to destroy the finals.
Hopes this helps.
Radiolax
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopes this helps.
Radiolax

Yeah that.

The B5 stock antenna works fine on the 5R, they're on ebay for under $4 delivered last I looked.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been searching in vain for a thread discussing this "problem" with the Smiley 270A (other than right here)...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've been searching in vain for a thread discussing this "problem" with the Smiley 270A (other than right here)...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any telescoping type antenna is in the same situation when used with a transmitter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any telescoping type antenna is in the same situation when used with a transmitter.
View Quote

Suppose the antenna is fully extended for 2m and you accidentally transmit on 70cm.  Ill effects are highly unlikely because of the harmonic relationship between the 2m and 70cm bands.

Now suppose the antenna is fully collapsed for 70cm and you accidentally transmit on 2m.  I agree that bad things *could* happen in this situation, but I haven't seen any reports of damage.

An HT that blew its finals after a short transmission into a 1/12 wavelength antenna wouldn't last long on the market.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I should also mention the Smiley 2m halfwave antenna.  Next best thing to a Slim Jim for a 2m HT.

I was working an event here in the Piney Woods of east Texas one time when net control asked me to ask another ham standing nearby to give net control a call.  So he gave net control a call, but neither party could hear each other.  I handed the other ham my speaker mike and they easily completed their exchange.  The other ham was using a rubber duck and I was using a Smiley halfwave.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By wdlsguy

An HT that blew its finals after a short transmission into a 1/12 wavelength antenna wouldn't last long on the market.
View Quote

You're absolutely right.  Theory is one thing, reality another.  Be it rugged finals or self-protection circuitry, HT's don't have a habit of self-destructing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a couple of these for my UV82's...

Retech RHA-701

They do work better than the antennas that came with the radios, as I can hear things that I could not hear before.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I got one of N9TAX's dual band slim jims and have it hanging from a hook in the ceiling in the corner of a room (not the best place since it's within 3 or 4 inches of the drywall.) I have no problems hitting repeaters almost 40 miles away (on a UV-5R+).

I went with a standard SMA connector and got a SMA-F to SMA-F adapter for using it with the Baofeng. I use both a UV-5R+ and VX-6R.

I believe the latest UV-5R models do have the same antenna as the UV-B5. I have a BFS311 firmware model and a coworker who has an earlier model said my antenna looks much different. In photos it looks the same as the one on the UV-B5. I did pick up a Diamond SRJ77CA antenna but I think I wasted my money on that. I can't notice much difference on receive between it and the stock antenna. I haven't tested SWR or had them analyzed yet though. I need to pick up an adapter so I can have a friend test them out on his RigExpert antenna analyzer. I think I'll check HRO while I'm there today.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone know what the difference between the 701 and the 771 is?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#25]
BTW a rubber o ring fills the gap nicely when using an aftermarket antenna

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

One is about twice the length of the other.  Off hand I think the 701 is the short one at about 7 1/2", and the 771 is about 15".
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Glockster. It also appears from the pics I was looking at that maybe the 701 is rubberized or coated and the 771 is more wire whip type. I could be mistaken from the photos but that's what it appears to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Mr Harry what size o-ring have you found to work best?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mr Harry what size o-ring have you found to work best?
View Quote

The one I had in my parts drawer

Looks to be 9/16

I would just take your radio to the HW store and look for one that fits it well.

When I tighten down the antenna it compresses the o ring a little
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

8"

The 701 is about 8" long.  The 771 is about 16" long.  The 771 is a little better, in actual tests I did driving down the highway, testing at various distances from the repeater.  There is a big difference between the 701 and the stock UV-5R antenna.

So, choice between the 701 and 771 is, do you want a pretty good signal with an 8" antenna, or do you want just a little better signall with a 16" antenna.  To me, 16" ceases to be "handy".
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks Glockster. It also appears from the pics I was looking at that maybe the 701 is rubberized or coated and the 771 is more wire whip type. I could be mistaken from the photos but that's what it appears to me.
View Quote

No, both are similar in construction.  The 771 is about twice the length of the 701.  In photos on the web, in order to get the full antenna in the photos, the longer 771 will appear to be skinnier.  They are both about the same diameter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Very good thanks Jupiter!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Even cheaper, but about the same performance as the 701 (the 701 has a little edge over it) the Puxing J0125A.  This is the famous "$3.79" antenna.  It is higher now.

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/the-3-79-antenna-review/   Here is a review.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181026286509

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top