• Base of tower for Mosley beam

• HF coax coming into shack

• VHF/UHF coax for vertical already mounted on eve of house

Array Solutions 8 terminal surge suppressor for rotor control cable

Hy-gain T2X rotor

Green Heron RT-21 Controller
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the permit today.  I wish I hadn't gone that route, but have a feelings insurance is going to want it.

I'll update more as we start to dig, pour and raise.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Any progress so far? How are you going to gig the hole for the antenna base? We used a 3 ft diameter auger attached to a bobcat. It only took about 1/2 hour to bore the base hole and 3 holes for the guy poles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm jealous DirtNasty!

In for the progress and pics...
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any progress so far? How are you going to gig the hole for the antenna base? We used a 3 ft diameter auger attached to a bobcat. It only took about 1/2 hour to bore the base hole and 3 holes for the guy poles.
View Quote

I've got a local grave digger coming to dig the foundation.  I'm hoping to use bust outs for the guy wires, but if not will have him dig them as well.

What did it cost to rent the bobcat/auger head?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've got a local grave digger coming to dig the foundation.  I'm hoping to use bust outs for the guy wires, but if not will have him dig them as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last one I did in West Texas, I hand dug a 3x3x3 base and concreted it. The guy posts were dug with a little man portable gas powered auger. Apparently that little 5 horse motor had more torque than my feet could resist…cause I was spinning when I hit the hard pack.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid a guy with a bobcat $150
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Check Craigslist - really good place to find people that are willing to do all sorts of landscaping/excavation work that might not necessarily have websites or a lot of other advertising.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check Craigslist - really good place to find people that are willing to do all sorts of landscaping/excavation work that might not necessarily have websites or a lot of other advertising.
View Quote

Or advertise in the "wanted' department. You never know what will turn up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I told you guys to bring your damn shovels and not a one of you has shown up.  Bunch of SOBs.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The anchor points were originally going to be bust out, but now it looks like its going to be concrete.  6ft deep with a box of concrete of 1'6" tall 4' long 4' wide.  That's hell of a lot of concrete (1.33 yds) per anchor point.  

I'm following Rohn specs and after asking its the only thing they would allow for liability.  Even if I follow the specs and it fell, I'm sure they would find something wrong with the installation either way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#12]
It all ends up with everyone pointing fingers at everyone else.

I am praying that I will not have to have a soil engineer come out. $$$$

My soil is very sandy here I haven't been down more than a foot yet but thinking of renting an auger and testing. Not worried so much about tower base as I am the guy anchors.

The spot I have picked out is far enough away that it will fall inside the property lines and out of reach of the house.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Well picked up a shitton of rebar today.

54' of #3
180' of #6
45' of #7
21' of #4

Will post pictures tomorrow or saturday once I get the cages built.  

This sumbitch should survive WWIII.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish you the best of luck once the tower is up. Hopefully you won't have to go through what one of the local hams to me did.

And yes, same man with two different houses in 8 years. Both towers have since been removed. One was due to a move, the other a divorce.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I wish you the best of luck once the tower is up. Hopefully you won't have to go through what one of the local hams to me did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC_EeWSKJII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0jKrXS__Q

And yes, same man with two different houses in 8 years. Both towers have since been removed. One was due to a move, the other a divorce.
View Quote

I changed the "https" to "http"

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]
So does federal law actually say you can put up an antenna - HOA be damned?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't believe that is the case - however I'm pretty sure local governments have to accommodate you to some degree.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't believe that is the case - however I'm pretty sure local governments have to accommodate you to some degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea all the info I've ever found is to the contrary when dealing with HOAs
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I have no HOA
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have no HOA
View Quote

Me neither but I'm trying to help a brother out
Also I've talked to my neighbors and they don't care
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#21]
It's going to be fairly difficult to see the tower/beam unless you are behind my house.  Which you are either in the woods, or about to be shot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]
If I shoot back you'll know its me, okay? That'll be our secret knock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Neither neighborhood had HOA's prohibiting communications antennas (TV antennas, yes). The city of Lubbock doesn't have any tower restrictions at residences though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Neither neighborhood had HOA's prohibiting communications antennas (TV antennas, yes). The city of Lubbock doesn't have any tower restrictions at residences though.
View Quote

I don't live in a city.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well picked up a shitton of rebar today.

54' of #3
180' of #6
45' of #7
21' of #4

Will post pictures tomorrow or saturday once I get the cages built.  

This sumbitch should survive WWIII.
View Quote

It will survive a nuke blast 100 yards away. LOL. It's a small antenna for that 50 ft. tower.
BTW. Some concrete companies have special trucks that can mix on a jobsite. It's a lot cleaner this way and you pay for what you actually end up needing. You probably need 4000 PSI concrete as per Rohn specs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC_EeWSKJII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0jKrXS__Q

View Quote

Darn Communist Homeowners Associations.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Long day.  Will hopefully post pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The federal law only applies to TVRO dishes.  Too bad they didn't include hams.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Put a dish on the tower... Done.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I learned one thing today.  This will be my last tower.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Build it right it will last 20 years
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Over the weekend I was able to get the holes dug, concrete preforms built and the rebar cages for the guy wire anchor points.  Will be working over the week to get the holes cleaned up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#33]
How big is your guy anchors?

Also if you use the ties with a loop in each end and the swivel tie tool it goes alot easier.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How big is your guy anchors?

Also if you use the ties with a loop in each end and the swivel tie tool it goes alot easier.  
View Quote

3/4" @ 9' long
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry should have asked how large are your concrete guy anchors?

That looks huge. I don't remember what Rohn's specs are.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Also, I cut rebar with a cutoff disc in an angle grinder. Wear eye-pro and it is a piece of cake.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like you are making some good progress.  I think you will be happy with the end result!

For a little more speed,  rent one of these.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry should have asked how large are your concrete guy anchors?

That looks huge. I don't remember what Rohn's specs are.
View Quote

6' x 4' x 1' 6"

It is huge.  They have the same specs for the 160' tower as well.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Looks like you are making some good progress.  I think you will be happy with the end result!

View Quote

That video makes me sick after all the work this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there is ever a next time, get the pre-cut ties with the loop in the ends that SandHillsHillbilly mentioned and one of these. They are less than $6 at Home Depot. While not as fast as the power tool, they make tying rebar very quick and easy:

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Need to break out the tamp, but they are dug.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If there is ever a next time, get the pre-cut ties with the loop in the ends that SandHillsHillbilly mentioned and one of these. They are less than $6 at Home Depot. While not as fast as the power tool, they make tying rebar very quick and easy:

http://i.imgur.com/FyvLqXE.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/FyvLqXE.jpg

I used that tool with the looped-end wires when I worked at Economy Forms back in the late 1980's!  Used it in the shipping department to close burlap bags of heavy steel nuts, etc. and many other uses.  It is super fast and strong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Need to break out the tamp, but they are dug.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/1zfsy1u.jpg
View Quote

Hope you bought enough lime to cover the bodies with.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I did google it.  Thanks.  That was interesting.  Okay, I also found the 1 hour episode on cement & concrete interesting on Modern Marvels as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

Also, I cut rebar with a cutoff disc in an angle grinder. Wear eye-pro and it is a piece of cake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

How many discs would you go through cutting through #6 and #7?  I had to make 40+ cuts.  Was able to use a rebar bender/cutter for the smaller stuff luckily.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How many discs would you go through cutting through #6 and #7?  I had to make 40+ cuts.  Was able to use a rebar bender/cutter for the smaller stuff luckily.
View Quote

I have never kept track but not that many. The discs are cheap and I buy a bunch at a time. Anything too big gets the chop-saw.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have never kept track but not that many. The discs are cheap and I buy a bunch at a time. Anything too big gets the chop-saw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hams are resourceful so don't ask what I used.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Well so much for the sharp blades on the cable cutter and what are these huge nicks in the blades.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow!

Didn't know there was such a thing...

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:33:07 AM EDT
[#50]
For the guy wires, its hard to beat the hammer in cable anchors. They look like arrow heads on the heads of cables and install by inserting the tip into a tube. They hold very big loads with a very easy install.  We held down helicopters in the army with them and they needed a 10k rating for that job, far more than enough for a tower wire.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top