Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2014 11:08:58 AM EDT
Anyone have any good ones or good ideas?  I see that K5FBO and K9ARF are already taken which is what I originally wanted...  a good ham friend of mine just moved to a 1x3 and I feel a little left behind with my old 2x3.... I only have a general class license so that means I can't apply for the really slick extra class only ones though.

It looks like the numeral is no longer region restricted when you apply for a vanity, so I could always get something with a number that doesn't correspond to my location at all.  That just seems strange to me though....

Lets hear some current good call signs or ideas for a new one!

73s
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Vanity Call Help

Its best to check the available calls. That will dictate your selection & give you some ideas.

HS
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I got varying replies from folks here and elsewhere in regards to region, but I decided that, as a new ham, I was already going to piss off enough people that I had a 1x3 call as opposed to the 2x3 monsters of today.  So, I picked a region correct call with my initials.  W and K were available (N was not) and I like the sound of K more than W so, that's where I went.

Note that the 'find vanity call sign' sites (like www.radioqth.net) won't find the 1x3 calls, but ae7q.com will.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm an extra with a 1x3.  I'll apply for my original 2x3 novice call if I move back to the ancestral homeland someday.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
W0FSA is available.
I looked for N0FSA but it was taken
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, N0BHO and N0NSA are also taken....
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive had my application in for over 2 weeks and no word on my vanity call sign from the fcc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive had my application in for over 2 weeks and no word on my vanity call sign from the fcc.
View Quote

I takes 18 days to make the determination, but only 1 day to find out what the dispensation is likely to be.

Try this URL : http://www.ae7q.com/list/AppByReceipt.php?DATE=2014-02-01  (adjust date as necessary)
Search the resulting page for your call - thank me later
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you get an SK's call sign?

It's also still active (till 2016)
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I takes 18 days to make the determination, but only 1 day to find out what the dispensation is likely to be.

Try this URL : http://www.ae7q.com/list/AppByReceipt.php?DATE=2014-02-01  (adjust date as necessary)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats pretty neat link.  I see somebody applied for AD0RK recently  thats a pretty funny one.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you get an SK's call sign?

It's also still active (till 2016)
View Quote

On the ULS system there seems to be an option if you are of close relation to the deceased when you apply for a new call sign.  How you prove that relation I am unsure of though.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmmm

His total four are the last four (of my five)

Close enough relation?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm

His total four are the last four (of my five)

Close enough relation?
View Quote

that would be a nice upgrade.  I still may just chop my 6 down to 5 in the same manner.  And eventually go for chopping it down to 4. You might be out of luck for a while, if it expires in 2016 it won't be available again until 2018.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Somebody here mentioned they saw WE1RDO pop up a few times. I saw it myself on JT9 or 65 a few weeks ago.

I need to check if he qsl's my mail & try to catch him.

HS
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
There's an N1 call that could be considered very offensive by people who are only allowed to apply the label to each other . . . and it's actually taken.  I'd love to know what made him claim it.

My old call was a fun one.  The current 2x2 call was my über-elmer's and one of my most prized possessions.  And the sequence of events that led to me getting it make it even more special to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
this website answered a lot of questions!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

My pleasure!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top