Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 39
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The bugs seem to be working them selves out as the night goes on.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Logged in and monitoring DFC-ARC on my iPhone.  1st time using EchoLink...pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Tonight was the first time I used a friends IRLP node. Worked a lot better for me than echolink. I hope my friend didn't mind me hijacking the node. :)
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tonight was the first time I used a friends IRLP node. Worked a lot better for me than echolink. I hope my friend didn't mind me hijacking the node. :)
View Quote

Was it a local node? Or an area repeater?
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
local 2m simplex node.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Great net tonight guys. I had a couple of issues on the link radio not picking up the tone from my handheld. I got that fixed and then the link went down for some reason. I think the power supply is not that great for the Raspberry Pi, I have a new 3 amp supply I am going to put on it. I got the server up and running and I lost the audio again, well this time the battery on the link radio died.

Once I fix all of that I should be good to go. I need to get a battery eliminator for the UV-5r and hook it all to dedicated power supply's.

There were occasions where the audio was dropping, but after the first couple of minutes it was much better.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
outstanding net - good to talk to everyone

Thanks again for setting  it up, hopefully we can keep this going as well, it was good to have some of the new hams in there.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]

10 check-in's for a 2hr net! Got off to a rocky start but turned out pretty damn good. Thanks for you guys that checked in. Hopefully, next week, Echolink wont blow up on me 30sec into the start of the net.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was on he I phone app and it didn't have the ride side of the window.  That Makes sense now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By CaptainSkulletNo it was more the 3/200 or whatever the conference can hold.  I didn't see a clean way to see who the "3" were.  Might be a dumb question but its all I've got right now.

Were we planning on giving this a shot tonight?

The "3" would be the number of people logged into the conference. That number will go up and down and the call signs are listed in the right side of the echolink window.

I was on he I phone app and it didn't have the ride side of the window.  That Makes sense now.

Oh, now I get what your were asking. Im sorry, I was talking about on the computer. On your phone, the call sign list should show on the main screen when your not transmitting. If you want to see the chat box, tap the "text" tab to toggle over to it.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]

I know nothing about Echomac, but I found this. Maybe it will help.

http://echomac.sourceforge.net/routers.html

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone using EchoMac?  Do I need to allow incoming network connections?
View Quote

I am just using Echolink under wine, shouldn't be much different for a mac
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I was on early talking to GCW and then Scooter. I did get back on after 9pm but didn't bother "checking in." I was listening and reading stuff.

I am glad it went as well as it did. This definitely gives the guys who don't have thousands of feet of wire strung up behind their house the ability to do the same things as the other ARFCOM nets.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Logged in and monitoring DFC-ARC on my iPhone.  1st time using EchoLink...pretty cool.  
View Quote

Hey ScooterInVegas,
Did I understand correctly that you're using an FT-8800 when you were running the net yesterday?  if so, how are you doing this, please?
Thanks,  BD.

ETA:  Schooling up on IRLP.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Good to see this pop up again.  Maybe spark some interest in some mobile IRLP setups :)

Or you could go the cheap way and use echolink on your droid....
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried to get in but the android app kept crashing

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought I was having problems with Echolink on my droid, but It was probably actually scooters problems. When I got home and ran echolink on the desk, same issues as the net started, audio cutting out, getting LONG breaks in receive audio. At that point I switched to IRLP. I may try echolink next time.

Also on the drive home, I did not have my cable to connect the smartphone to the stereo so I couldn't really hear anyway.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#18]
In most cases, using one of the public proxy's on echolink results in better connections.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#19]
reading with interest!

waiting on my New AT&T MiFi to arrive to prevent screwy connections and only have to figure out proxy settings once
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

reading with interest!

waiting on my New AT&T MiFi to arrive to prevent screwy connections and only have to figure out proxy settings once
View Quote

I have one of those via ATT. Let me connect to it and load up echolink to see what it does....I'll post an :ETA: update in here.

ETA: installed it, put my UN/PW in there and it worked without touching a single setting.

DROID.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hey ScooterInVegas,

Did I understand correctly that you're using an FT-8800 when you were running the net yesterday?  if so, how are you doing this, please?

Thanks,  BD.

ETA:  Schooling up on IRLP.
View Quote

The Echolink conference was linked into the Western Reflector on channel 7. (9257) I started out on echolink but ran into local internet problems, which are common in my neighbor da HOOD. I was using RF as a back up. I listened to the feed with head phones and the IRLP node I was on sounded like shit, but oh well, I was stuck with it.

First round and a half no one wanted to talk, but quickly changed and the last 4½ rounds went pretty good. A few questions asked, a few answers given. Awesome.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Scooter

I am interested in joining the net this coming Friday.
Since it seems you made changes along the way, it might be a good idea to edit your OP to include the specific day/time/Echolink node/IRLP node that are being used so that there is no confusion, and its easy to find.

Look forward to chatting and learning

T
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm down for this coming Friday(11/15).

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Scooter

I am interested in joining the net this coming Friday.

Since it seems you made changes along the way, it might be a good idea to edit your OP to include the specific day/time/Echolink node/IRLP node that are being used so that there is no confusion, and its easy to find.

Look forward to chatting and learning

T
View Quote

Thanks, I didn't realize the node/conference info wasn't in the OP, I knew it was in the video. I added it.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#25]
OP,  hopefully with all of us we can make this an active event.  Don't remember exactly but it was '98-00 when I first got my technicians ticket, and for last 10 years I just got out of it.  I'm ready to get back into the game and purchased one of the baofeng uv-5r+ HT, and I'm already looking at trying to advance to a general ticket.  

Anywho looking forward to talking to you on Friday, take care!
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have one of those via ATT. Let me connect to it and load up echolink to see what it does....I'll post an :ETA: update in here.

ETA: installed it, put my UN/PW in there and it worked without touching a single setting.

DROID.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
reading with interest!

DROID.

thx bro, it should be here today...and I'm awaiting Validation from EL to proceed

ETA:

The authentication information you provided for SCWolverine has been received and verified.

This callsign is now validated for EchoLink.  Enjoy the program!

EchoLink Support
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
thx bro, it should be here today...and I'm awaiting Validation from EL to proceed

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

reading with interest!

DROID.

ETA:

The authentication information you provided for SCWolverine has been received and verified.

This callsign is now validated for EchoLink.  Enjoy the program!

EchoLink Support

Good deal.  The EL program pretty much works out of the box.  Though I suggest using the test server first to adjust your audio settings.  And get right up on the mic on the phone.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Hopefully the mifi doesn't incur any firewall issues. If they filter traffic at all, it could be a problem.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

OP,  hopefully with all of us we can make this an active event.  Don't remember exactly but it was '98-00 when I first got my technicians ticket, and for last 10 years I just got out of it.  I'm ready to get back into the game and purchased one of the baofeng uv-5r+ HT, and I'm already looking at trying to advance to a general ticket.  

View Quote

You got an IRLP node to use?

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok newb here lol.  I'm set up on Echolink and verified.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hopefully the mifi doesn't incur any firewall issues. If they filter traffic at all, it could be a problem.
View Quote

They don't.  Mine worked fine.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mine is timing out, will work on that tomorrow....have disabled the Windoze firewalls....

ETA: Argh, the Echolink gods hate me....not to puke on the thread but I'm giving up for a few days...
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
mine is timing out, will work on that tomorrow....have disabled the Windoze firewalls....

ETA: Argh, the Echolink gods hate me....not to puke on the thread but I'm giving up for a few days...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have to tried it on your phone? Your already signed up, all you have to do is install it and go.  Just make sure to use your 3g / 4g and not the router your having problems with. This might help tell you get your router issue fixed/figured out.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#34]
no smart phone-but loving the new MiFi-it's much faster!

have alloted all settings as set forth in EL help/faq still no dice....story of my Life in regards to my PC's
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
no smart phone-but loving the new MiFi-it's much faster!

have alloted all settings as set forth in EL help/faq still no dice....story of my Life in regards to my PC's
View Quote

Bust out that dell with Linux on it
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#36]
What time does this conference start tomorrow?(CST)??
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go Zulu or go home
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]
aww cut him some slack I can't never get it right either....my G-shock only does 1 time zone

add 5 or subtract 5....it always eludes me

Clock
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#39]
In!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

5:30 Pacific

7:30 Central

01:30 GMT / ZULU

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I am soo in for this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
aww cut him some slack I can't never get it right either....my G-shock only does 1 time zone

add 5 or subtract 5....it always eludes me

Clock
View Quote

Greenwich , England is East of you.  Sun rises in the East, which means that it comes up for them before it comes up for you.  The are 5 hours ahead of you (add 5 to your time) and you are 5 hrs behind them (subtract 5 from GMT).  Recognize your time zone as GMT -5 rather than EST/EDT.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I am very new at this so bear with me. I just got a node number from Echolink.
What do I do with it or what does it do?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I am very new at this so bear with me. I just got a node number from Echolink.

What do I do with it or what does it do?
View Quote

I'm not an Echolink expert, in fact I know little about it.
But, the node number is not needed for basic use on your computer / smart phone. Others can use DTMF to connect to you through another node set up a "Link" or "Repeater" radio. You or others can use a radio to connect to a computer to make a simplex (L) or semi duplex (R) repeater set up at home, others would use the node number with the DTMF keys on a radio to connect/disconnect to your node. .
I'm sure there is a good use maybe without using a L or R call, I just don't what they are. I've been using Echolink for a while and have no idea what my node number is.
I am looking at getting a Kenwood radio and hooking it up to my computer to have my own Echolink simplex node at home so I can talk through echolink to get to IRLP on my HT.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I didn't ask for it. It came on it's own some time after I got the verification.
I hope this doesn't involve imitation crab meat.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I didn't ask for it. It came on it's own some time after I got the verification.
I hope this doesn't involve imitation crab meat.
View Quote

Everyone gets a node number. If you click on your station lD in the users list, it shows your status and node number. You dont need it right now.

Did you watch the video on how to get to the net? Click "node types", then "conferences" then scroll down to and double click "DCF-ARC". Screen will change, click "add to favorites" first the "connect". Done, your there.  

Next time you want to connect, just tap "favorites" then "DCF-ARC".

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks, that was very helpful.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Going to try to get on from my iPhone tonight. On kid duty while the wife is working, so not sure how it'll work out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#49]
anyone else getting a connection failed?

EDIT TO ADD Keyboard to chair interface problem.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
anyone else getting a connection failed?

EDIT TO ADD Keyboard to chair interface problem.
View Quote

Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top