Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2013 6:04:26 PM EDT
Just need to run a few grounds & string up an antenna. Got off a little early & jumped on the project tonight.

Box Front

Box Back

The aluminum anodizing on the PowerWerx power supply reminds me of the purple Bushmasters of long ago.

Take care all,
HS
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I gotta say. That is pretty slick. I am building up my shack and hope to do something like this in the future
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you use the Signalink for?  The Kenwood has a built in sound card.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I already had the SignaLink USB for packet & APRS on VHF, so I figured I would just keep it for the V71A radio. It was scratched up some as I bought it used. I removed case hit it with black satin Krylon.

There is another small speaker behind the Kenwood speaker & left of the SignaLink. Have it mounted on an angle. It is for the V71A.

HS
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok.....I thought that might be the case.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, it is not green or orange.  I am confused.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait, it is not green or orange.  I am confused.  
View Quote

Black is the new orange
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks awesome!  Do you also use this as your base station and then take it with you when you need to or do you have sepperate radios for your shack?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks awesome!  Do you also use this as your base station and then take it with you when you need to or do you have sepperate radios for your shack?
View Quote

thx,

This is my only station now. I will be used in the shack or I can take it with me if needed. I like to operate from the garage at times. I can work on projects & have rigs handy. Mostly it will just be used on my shack desk, near the PC. It ended up a little heavier than I planned. The 590 is 16lbs alone. But I wanted the 590 since it will be used at home 99% of the time. For an Ecomm portable unit, I would downsize everything. Smaller box & radios.  Possibly one rig that covered HF & VHF. Maybe a future project for me.

Take care,

HS
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Is each item fixed to the case so it doesn't shift around in transportation?  

What's the total weight?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, every item is hard mounted with the exception of the SignaLink. It is stuck on with industrial strength Velcro. The Signalink is small & light so it doen't take much to anchor. I made a bracket for the tuner & the 140mm case fan, everything else came with mounting brackets, or was drilled for mounting. I had to buy the mounting kit for the TS590, & the Pwerwerx supply. You can set it on its side, upside down, etc, & nothing will shift. As for weight, I haven't had a chance to check.

HS
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#11]
very nice!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats really cool...I've been trying to figure out the best method of building my own 'go kit' on the cheap.  I really like that light set up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Added to EMCOMM Box Thread: HogSniper Brings Home the Bacon

Build Thread? detail pics of mounting equip? pics, lotsa pics!

Looks Great BTW! Go Kenwood!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
needs more TNC

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes some details would be great! Very nice box by the way.

I have been looking at rebuilding mine with a rack case, one day I will get around to doing that. I was also looking at a Rack Rider, very slick idea.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL, Love that heading SCWolverine! May need to change that to brings home bologna. Can't aford bacon after building box. I didn't snap any pics during the build, sorry. Here are some details:

Gator 6RU Box
2 Half Racks
RIGrunner 4004 USB
Mounting bracket for Powerwerx supply
Powerwerx 30 AMP Power Supply
Gooseneck light panel
Small speaker for VHF/UHF radio
140mm Case Fan
Coax to store in box
Small storage bags
HF Radio
UHF/VHF Radio
LDG KT-100 auto tuner
SignalLink USB
TS-590S mobile bracket - crazy expensive for what it is!
Speaker for HF radio

I made a small bracket from an aluminum strip for the tuner. I also added a small 12v switch with LED to the middle of the light bar for the rear fan control. The rear fan is very quiet & moves plenty of air thru the box. All items on top rack have small bolt or screw heads facing up, with nuts & washers on top to secure them. That gave me more clearance on bottom. Prevents from scratching the HF rig when you rack it. The light panel runs off USB & has LED heads on goosenecks. Very handy & puts out quite a bit of light for their small size. The LED lights use very little power. The Rigrunner model has 2 USB ports. There is enough room in the bottom to store some cable & a few emergency items. I haven't weighed unit yet. I used the back cover to make a small ground plane for a VHF mag mount antenna. I used a 22 gauge steel sheet & cut it to fit inside lid. Also the usual misc. items: Anderson Powepoles, wires, cable ties, shrink tubing, & various connectors. Just have a small grounding bar to mount in the rear, connect ground straps & I'll be finished. Small canvas zip bags to store in the back are good for fuses, cables,microphones, adapters, etc. You can use a little Velcro on bottom of box & canvas storage bags. That will keep them secure & handy. I was inspired by another ham that did a similar box.

HS

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#17]
All I can say is damn.    That's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet Setup. Welcome to the EmComm Box Club.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a very clean looking set up.  The lights are a great idea!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn!  That's a lot of cash layout!  
Did you buy everything at once, or slowly build up stock and assembled it as you purchased things?

Bill
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I had the V71A radio, & the Signalink for a while. Once I had saved & set aside my milk money to buy the HF radio I wanted, I began gathering the rest slowly. Took me about 5 months to complete. I dipped into my rig money a few times, but kicked in high gear once I passed my General exam. Last purchase was the 590, tuner & Kenwood speaker. Worked a bunch of OT for this box, but I can honestly say it was well worth the effort. It was fun to assemble.

Take care,
HS
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome box!  It's funny because I put a Yaesu FT-450 in my Gator 6 box because I didn't think a 590 would fit nicely!

Great job!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#23]
That's a good idea for those lights.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top