Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2013 11:53:14 AM EDT

So, all set to take my tech and general licenses next month. Hope I get both in one go, as its a 65 mile trip each way for the test.

My interest is primarily a mobile rig first. Can't do too much from the house as we are renting and neighborhood has a strict no antennas policy. Woo.

So, here is a picture of a blazer similar to mine. (Same make and model.)

What I'm considering doing, is removing the center console, from the dash to the rear, and chopping it right behind the floor shifter (assuming electronics and wiring inside allow me to do so) then custom fab or find a COTS console to drop in. (A 12 or 13" should fit. Might have to make a customer interface plate to grab existing holes.) Add a flip down armrest that would be above the console surface. Add a switch box to control the high idle module, and any worklight LED bars I decide to add.

HF Antenna would be mounted to the rear tire mount somehow (definately worried about ground plane) and not sure on the optimal placement of the VHF/UHF antennas on the roof to minimize crosstalk between them.

Here is my current radio list of what I want to get:

Radio: ICOM IC-7000 HF/VHF/UHF Transceiver

VHF/UHF Antenna: Larsen NMO 2/70B

Mount: ?

HF Antenna: Little Tarheel II

Controller: N2VZ Turbo Tuner

Antenna QD: Hi-Q-Antennas GQD (Giant Quick Disconnect)

HF Antenna Mount: ?

Radio: IC-F2821D (P25 enabled) (Public Safety UHF)

Antenna: ?

Radio: IC-F1821D (P25 enabled) (Public Safety VHF)

Antenna: Larsen NMOQ B

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're on the right track. I have a Yaesu FT-857D and a Tarheel II in my 4 Runner and love it. About the only change I'd make is the turbo tuner. Skip it. I bought one and it was nothing but trouble for me and I ended up returning it. Learn to love the rocker switch.

I take it that P25 compatability is a big deal for you?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like you're on the right track. I have a Yaesu FT-857D and a Tarheel II in my 4 Runner and love it. About the only change I'd make is the turbo tuner. Skip it. I bought one and it was nothing but trouble for me and I ended up returning it. Learn to love the rocker switch.

I take it that P25 compatability is a big deal for you?
View Quote

My county is going to be moving to P25 later this year, and several of the surrounding agencies have already gone to P25. (I'm a SAR volunteer with the sheriff's office, and live very close to where the majority of our missions take place, so oftentimes, I'm the first on scene.)

Several people have converted their blazers to floor shift from column shift - I'm considering doing the reverse and just dropping a full Gamber Johnson radio console in. I'm not going full retard though - I'll only be installing a few LED work/white light bars. (I have found a need from time to time to turn night into day.)

I got a Kenwood DNX750HD for my birthday...so I found out my 2002 Blazer only has a 1.5U High DIN opening. In the process of getting a 2003 dash bezel with the double din opening so I can install it. One perk is that it has multiple video inputs, so I can plug the IC-7k into it so I don't have to look down to tune.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
is there a reason you NEED P25 radios instead of just a scanner?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. See above.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes. See above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. See above.

i saw that, i meant do you need a mobile? a HT is going to be a much better option than something hard mounted.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i saw that, i meant do you need a mobile? a HT is going to be a much better option than something hard mounted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. See above.

i have an ht, only issue is range in the mountains while mounted.

Link Posted: 8/9/2013 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i have an ht, only issue is range in the mountains while mounted.

View Quote

external antenna with the correct adapter for your HT's. even a mag mount would get it done. unless you get radios with remote mount heads you are going to be taking up a LOT of space with 3 mobile radios.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top