Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2013 6:19:26 AM EDT
Spurred on by the efforts of EC1CW (his blog here) and W7KI (http://www.interceptradio.com/wiki/index.php/W7KI_Manpack_Radio), and being too cheap to actually buy a surplus military green radio, I decided to build my own.

So, scrounging around the pile o' Ham crap, I found:

Radio, FT-857d, Yaesu, qty 1
Tuner, FC-40, Yaesu, qty 1
Battery, 12v/7ah, qty 1

and some other antenna mounts, cables, and assorted odds/ends.

As a side note, anyone who asks why you never throw away the extra bits left over after a project, this is why--other than the materials for the frame, I had all this stuff just laying around.

So, using some aluminum stock from HD (that's Home Depot, a.k.a. the big orange crack house full of tools and other manly stuff), I fabbed together a frame to support the radio and the tuner. Of course, I made specific measurements to make sure everything fit as it should and I drew very complicated drawings showing the precise alignment of all the parts. Ok... little white lie time: I eyeballed it and made a few notes on a Post-It.

I've had to order a few things (shorter cables, new battery, etc) but as it sits right now, it works! I checked in on 14.300 using a 15m Hamstick (all I had laying around) while walking around my yard last night.

Here's some pictures, without further adieu. I'll have the remainder of the parts in this week, so look for me, pedestrian mobile on my lunch break from IOTA NA-143, Galveston Island.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great!  

Very cool project. Might be time for a SOTA expedition. What is the total weight?
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks great!  

Very cool project. Might be time for a SOTA expedition. What is the total weight?

I don't know yet. I was planning on carrying it in an Eagle AIII Molle pack but... the damn thing is about two inches too long to fit, so I'll need to find another pack.

If I had to guess, right now, maybe 12-14ish--battery is 5ish, radio is 4-ish, tuner is 2-ish, frame is 2ish.

I've got to get together a couple of reels of lightweight wire for counterpoises and random wire antennas. I've order a NMO-to-SO239 adapter so that I can string up a dual band twin-lead Jpole when operated from a fixed position for the FM repeaters, and use an arrow dual-band Yagi for satellites and SSB.

So I figure it'll all be around 20-25ish pounds once all the extra wires and accessories are added in.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool

I'd dremel off the 90* sharp edges and cut the COAX to fit, soldering on new PL-259's

I'd also put a spring on the hamstack, before a low branch makes YOU the spring
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool

I'd dremel off the 90* sharp edges and cut the COAX to fit, soldering on new PL-259's

I'd also put a spring on the hamstack, before a low branch makes YOU the spring

Agreed on all counts. Once I get everything arranged the way I like, the frame is going to get cleaned up and painted. I didn't have any of the reducers for RG-58 coax but I've ordered them so it'll get a trim once they arrive.

I have a military AT-271 whip inbound from the devil's playground (eBay) and I believe it is coming with the spring-whip-adapter-thingy. One thing I noticed from all the manpack videos on Youtube--they always seem to be shot in a public part, free from overhead obstructions, mostly just pacing around in a circle. This is a clue that walking through a wooded area with an extended HF antenna is difficult....

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
JC_Conn, I just wanted to mention that I don't know you and now I am starting to dis-like you also

Let me count why:
1) Top on my project list is a portable/field day setup, but no funds.
2) You post a Kick-A$$ setup that includes an 857D
3) I have a habit of buying Derek45's equipment
4) Derek just posted a 857D for sale

Just fess up now, you are either Derek's evil twin or you have a nice 480 for Derek45 that I have been voted in as the patsy most likely to fund his purchase.
(I have to go to lunch just to make sure my wallet stays closed)

JLE
PS.  Keep a hold of those post-it notes, I may be needing to borrow a copy from you if my will power doesn't hold

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#6]
how long do you get on that battery?

that's freaking awesome - what kind of pack are you putting it in?
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In a word, I don't know. That SLA was only showing ~11.9V on a "full" charge so I figure that it's not likely to survive long. Running at 20w, with my Fluke meter inline, I was seeing voltage drops down as low as 11.3V so I figure that it's not a good representation.

From looking around online, I see that the 857d, with the right power save options set, idles at Rx at about 600ma with the backlight off. What I don't know is how much current the FC-40 tuner requires, as it doesn't use locking relays so they have to be energized to keep the tuning solution, but it draws it's power via the control cable to the 857d.

Once I get a proper good battery delivered (later this week), I'll try to do some time testing and see... but I figure, in a SWAG:

0.6A (est) for RX * .75 (for 45 minutes of receive per hour) = 0.45A
6.0A (est) for TX (20 watts) * .25 (for 15 minutes of transmit per hour) = 1.5A
Total current requirement for 1 hour operation = 1.95A/h

So, a 9Ah 12v battery would last 9Ah/1.95Ah, or 4.6 hours, maybe?

There is a battery sense wire on the power cord that when connected to ground automatically limits output to 20w on HF+6+2m, and 10w on 440. According to Internet rumor, this will also turn off the internal fan for cooling since it is not needed at lower power settings. This might represent another smaller current saving.

ETA: What pack? Whichever one I can find that fits and has some pockets. The Eagle AIII molle that I intended to use is not quite deep enough to hold the whole thing--damn my finely calibrated eyeball for failing me.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#8]
That's really slick.   Good job!

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
JC_Conn, I just wanted to mention that I don't know you and now I am starting to dis-like you also

Let me count why:

Just fess up now, you are either Derek's evil twin or you have a nice 480 for Derek45 that I have been voted in as the patsy most likely to fund his purchase.

JLE
PS.  Keep a hold of those post-it notes, I may be needing to borrow a copy from you if my will power doesn't hold

LOL

I'm just an innocent bystander.

My 857 is getting boxed up, waiting payment from a Colorado ham who bought it from QTH classifieds.
( usually it's the ARFCOM ad that sells my gear...and often to racsan, LOL )

as soon as that deal is complete, I'm buying the 200 watt version of the TS-480 for my new truck.

the FT-857 is a neat radio, very capable, but I like the Kenwood ergonomics better.

also, my days of carrying a pack are long gone.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Very cool project!

From what I understand, for getting maximum number of discharge/charge cycles out of a battery, you should only use half of its capacity before you recharge it.

Last time I was at EPO they had some small surplus solar panels that put out about a quarter amp.  Attached to your backpack, it wouldn't keep up with your battery usage but it would extend your operating time with very small weight addition.  You wouldn't need a regulator for this panel because it is low output in comparison to  your size battery.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me count why:

JLE

LOL

I'm just an innocent bystander.

My 857 is getting boxed up, waiting payment from a Colorado ham who bought it from QTH classifieds.
( usually it's the ARFCOM ad that sells my gear...and often to racsan, LOL )

as soon as that deal is complete, I'm buying the 200 watt version of the TS-480 for my new truck.

the FT-857 is a neat radio, very capable, but I like the Kenwood ergonomics better.

also, my days of carrying a pack are long gone.

Face it......you are just an old dude!

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With a solar panel he's GTG indefinitely. I ran a 5 day Special Event station on solar alone.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
OP's rig, very nice!
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
What kind of Loser puts a perfectly good radio in a pack? J/K...Nice Job!

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Radio in Pack.jpg

That high dollar paint job on your Icom is looking a bit worn on the handles????

OD Krylon for the win!
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That high dollar paint job on your Icom is looking a bit worn on the handles????

OD Krylon for the win!

That's where the Sherpa and goats banged into the radio on the last trip to Mt Everest... either that or where the Big Gulp Slurpee usually hits the radio.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OD Krylon for the win!

That's where the Sherpa and goats banged into the radio on the last trip to Mt Everest... either that or where the Big Gulp Slurpee usually hits the radio.  

Well you were way ahead of the curve with your OD radio.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Radio in Pack.jpg

OD Krylon for the win!

green radios are SUPPOSED to get the thrown down the driveway look

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a good portable counterpoise and a long bobbin of wire and you'll be GTG.

Oh, yeah. A slingshot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
REALLY nice...nicer than my Shack!!! grabbed one of those ALICE packs with shelves for something down the road. I'll toss the link up on the EMCOMM Box thread-for posterity sake
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Made some modifications today.

I wasn't happy with how far apart the radio and the tuner were mounted. I was envisioning a slimmer profile. A little aluminum, a few bends done by eyeball, and a little cursing later, I had a new set of mounting struts made. I turned the tuner over so that it mounts inside the struts now and there is about a 1/2" gap between the tuner and radio for airflow, and to allow audio from the radio speaker.

Another issue I had was that the whole unit wouldn't stand up on its own, as it was definitely weighted toward the tuner. Once again, some eyeball measurements and a little freehand bending, and I had a base/stand for the whole unit. I integrated the battery tie downs into the new base/stand, a neat little feature I'm quite proud of. Except for the two rivets on the back, there are no other fasteners holding the base/stand to the frame. I wanted it to have a little springy-give to it to accomodate uneven ground conditions.

Here's some new pictures:

I'm still waiting on a few small pieces, then I have to put together the ancillary pack of coax, counterpoises, etc.

I'm thinking this might be something neat to go along with this setup:

H250 handset rewired for FT-857d
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
REALLY nice...nicer than my Shack!!! grabbed one of those ALICE packs with shelves for something down the road. I'll toss the link up on the EMCOMM Box thread-for posterity sake

Go right ahead, I'm honored. :)

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Just did some quick testing with the Greenlee meter on current consumption for the FT-857d.

0.57A/570mA, Radio on, Rx, no display backlight
0.62A/620mA, Radio on, Rx, backlight on
0.80A/800mA, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Rx,no display backlight
0.85A/850mA, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Rx, backlight on
0.93A/930mA, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Rx, backlight on, Max AF Gain
~3.1A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Tx, 5W, AM mode key down, 20m
~3.8A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Tx, 10W, AM mode key down, 20m
~4.4A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Tx, 20W, AM mode key down, 20m
5.3A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, auto-tune sequence initiated

I'm not sure how accurate the voltage meter in the FT-857d is--I tested a 7Ah SLA that I supposed was failing, due to the voltage reading from the FT-857d showing 11.6v, dropping to ~11.2v or lower on Tx (I actually saw it ~10.6v during a tuning cycle). According to the Greenlee, the same battery measures ~12.6v at idle and ~12.0v under 20w load.

Conclusion--Don't trust your radio's built-in volt meter. It lies to you. It doesn't respect you.

Link Posted: 5/22/2013 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I like both.those frames. If I get a new radio for the Bronco, I may build one of these for my FT-100D.

Think I would go with the pre-made frame.

Let's talk antennas.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone have the feet/flip up stand from an FT857 that I can purchase? I just realized that mine (bought 2nd hand) doesn't have them installed. Based on the way I have the radio mounted, the flip up stand would be helpful when operating from a picnic table or flat spot.

If not, I'll just have to build something (oh drat!)
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get a good portable counterpoise and a long bobbin of wire and you'll be GTG.

Oh, yeah. A slingshot.

Link Posted: 5/24/2013 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#30]
JC_Conn: The 857 has  a removable face plate. The wire that connects the faceplate to the radio is a (iirc) 6-wire telephone jack.

Your next challenge is to build a sort of vambrace to hold the face plate on your left arm so you can control the radio with your right hand, while wearing the pack!
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
JC_Conn: The 857 has  a removable face plate. The wire that connects the faceplate to the radio is a (iirc) 6-wire telephone jack.

Your next challenge is to build a sort of vambrace to hold the face plate on your left arm so you can control the radio with your right hand, while wearing the pack!

+1.  Kind of like this one I use for my IC-703+.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2013 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just did some quick testing with the Greenlee meter on current consumption for the FT-857d.

0.57A/570mA, Radio on, Rx, no display backlight
0.62A/620mA, Radio on, Rx, backlight on
0.80A/800mA, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Rx,no display backlight
0.85A/850mA, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Rx, backlight on
0.93A/930mA, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Rx, backlight on, Max AF Gain
~3.1A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Tx, 5W, AM mode key down, 20m
~3.8A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Tx, 10W, AM mode key down, 20m
~4.4A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, Tx, 20W, AM mode key down, 20m
5.3A, Radio on, FC-40 tuner connected, auto-tune sequence initiated

I'm not sure how accurate the voltage meter in the FT-857d is--I tested a 7Ah SLA that I supposed was failing, due to the voltage reading from the FT-857d showing 11.6v, dropping to ~11.2v or lower on Tx (I actually saw it ~10.6v during a tuning cycle). According to the Greenlee, the same battery measures ~12.6v at idle and ~12.0v under 20w load.

Conclusion--Don't trust your radio's built-in volt meter. It lies to you. It doesn't respect you.

Found out today that you can calibrate the internal FT857 volt meter by entering the service menu.

Press and hold A + B + C, then Power on. Go to Menu 017 and change to match readout on volt meter. In my case, I measured my battery at 12.6 so I changed to setting "126".

I would advise against messing with anything else in the service menu, unless you know what you're doing. Which I don't. So I didn't.

Also, I did some trimming and re-arranging on the frame today and removed about 4 inches of length. This removed a lot of empty unused space and made for a much more compact package. Since I had to rebend a couple of portions of the frame, it's not the tidiest job, which has me thinking that I'll call this one K0JCC Manpack Mk.1 and build another as Mk.2. I do have a spare Icom 706 laying around... he he he.

Pictures of the shortened frame forthcoming.

Link Posted: 5/24/2013 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#33]

An overall shot showing the new shorter frame. Barely enough space between battery and radio for wiring. I've replaced the factory connectors with PowerPoles, even the brown battery sense wire that puts the radio in 20w output mode.

Thin, free standing, and now fits into the backpack I wanted to use!

Some cable management--using a short RG-58 patch cord to feed the tuner, and a newly-arrived 8-pin mini-DIN serial cable to control the tuner. I had to use the sanding station and grind down the plastic surround on the mini-DIN plug, as the control cable socket is deep-set on the back of the radio.

I'll replace all the cable ties and bungee cords with velcro strapping when I can get some from the office.

I have the reducers for the RG-58 coax in hand, so I'm going to finish up the NMO mount/cable for the VHF/UHF antenna.

I also have a couple of other small parts in hand--a microphone holder/hanger, an NMO-to-UHF adapter for using a roll up slim jim hanging from a tree, and about 150' of speaker wire that will become counterpoise and antenna elements.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]
That is an excellent job, JC_Conn!  Very, very nice work!  I like the shorter profile much better.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#35]
The Chinese have stolen your idea already.....

Linky
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Chinese have stolen your idea already.....

Linky

Yeah, I know... I linked to that in a previous post. :)
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#37]
So are there going to be pictures of this in the pack?  How much room is left over?  How do you stableize it in the pack?  How does it ride on yo back?
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I never could understand why they don't just make a rig like that to begin with. Why don't they throw an 857's guts, Z11 type tuner and LiIon batteries in a nice waterproof case with front mount RF options and be done with it? People would by them in droves. I bet they couldn't meet the demand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I never could understand why they don't just make a rig like that to begin with. Why don't they throw an 857's guts, Z11 type tuner and LiIon batteries in a nice waterproof case with front mount RF options and be done with it? People would by them in droves. I bet they couldn't meet the demand.

Vertex made one, it was discontinued.  

VX-1210
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So are there going to be pictures of this in the pack?  How much room is left over?  How do you stableize it in the pack?  How does it ride on yo back?

I've been getting the ancillaries together (counterpoise, whip antenna, etc) and I'm mostly finished with that.

I did a test fit last night with the Eagle AIII MOLLE I'm planning on using and with the compression straps adjusted, it was a pretty secure fit. There was quite a bit of unused space, however, and I have been looking around for packs that have a better tie-down arrangement on the interior for the radio, and MOLLE on the outside for adding pouches.

I'll try to have some pics up tonight of the radio/pack together.

I also need to work on the cables for the remote faceplate/microphone/speaker arrangement, and a swivel mount for the HF whip antenna so that it can be operated from a flat surface, laying horizontally.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Ive been thinking about welding together something light as possible for my 857d for an hfpack... I am concerned though about the heat dissipation of an 857D in a backpack, as my 857D heats up way more than any other rig I own.  Anyone used an 857 in a pack before and have any issues with this?

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ive been thinking about welding together something light as possible for my 857d for an hfpack... I am concerned though about the heat dissipation of an 857D in a backpack, as my 857D heats up way more than any other rig I own.  Anyone used an 857 in a pack before and have any issues with this?

I was worried about that too; however, keeping the power levels low enough to give a useable battery life, you shouldn't have a heat build-up issue.

In fact, grounding the brown battery sense wire in the power cable reduces power output to 20w (or 25w) and turns off the fan in the radio, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was worried about that too; however, keeping the power levels low enough to give a useable battery life, you shouldn't have a heat build-up issue.

In fact, grounding the brown battery sense wire in the power cable reduces power output to 20w (or 25w) and turns off the fan in the radio, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know what kind of heat is acceptable for the 857d, but I left mine on for 4-5 hours listening to a Reds game on AM broadcast and noticed it was warm to touch on recieve only... and that was sitting on the bench in my basement which is 65 degrees.    Not sure what kind of heat it would generate on our hot and humid summer days inside a backpack if transmitting even at 20 watts...

I have a ton of backpacks and am thinking about using one of my old school ones with an external aluminum frame, those ones can easily keep air flowing around the radio in the main pocket... I could also dedidicate one of the packs to it and tack weld the radio enclosure to the frame for uber-strength and keep it from shifting it at all...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top