Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2013 2:09:38 PM EDT

BD
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still trying to just get my One antenna up

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
So do you play pool, or just use it to play antenna?
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
tagagge
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been watching too many YouTube videos of operators taking their gear out to the field and playing radio from scenic locations.  So, I decided to spend some of my hard earned cash on a few antennas that would be useful in that type of setting.  Small packages that would be easy to put in a backpack and drag to the neighborhood park, or to one of the SOTA's (Summits On The Air).  So, here are my initial candidates.

1. Mini Buddipole - Already started a thread on my initial impressions of this coil-loaded dipole and/or vertical erector set.

2. AlexLoop Walkham - Small Magnetic Loop.  Just received today and checked in to the OMISS 40m Net from my pool table with the IC-703 running 5w!  

3. LNR (PAR) End Fedz EF-10/20/40MKII - Simple, end fed half wave wire and matchbox.  Still in the box for now.

ETA:  I originally read about these three antennas together while surfing the other day when I came upon this blog discussing them for QRP portable use.

http://nefl-dstar.com/blog/2012/07/
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Buddipole rig with a lot of extras and I ordered an end-fed matchbox from Emergency Amateur Radio Club - Hawaii. So you only have one project more than me!
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So do you play pool, or just use it to play antenna?

I play pool sometimes, but it sure makes a good platform for laying out various types of toys.  At one time or another it's been used for everything from setting up AR's and AK's to wrapping Christmas presents for the kids!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a Buddipole rig with a lot of extras and I ordered an end-fed matchbox from Emergency Amateur Radio Club - Hawaii. So you only have one project more than me!

I saw your end fed antenna mentioned on another thread.  Just toss one end up in a tree and you're on the air.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw your end fed antenna mentioned on another thread.  Just toss one end up in a tree and you're on the air.  

I want to set it up permanently.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been watching too many YouTube videos of operators taking their gear out to the field and playing radio from scenic locations.

Are you also going to get a couple of goats?
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been watching too many YouTube videos of operators taking their gear out to the field and playing radio from scenic locations.

wait, is it sad that i know what you're talking about?
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
to bad that loop is only 20w PEP and 10w continuous. that thing would be perfect for me but charlie dont do QRP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
to bad that loop is only 20w PEP and 10w continuous. that thing would be perfect for me but charlie dont do QRP.

Build your own, the limiting factor on power is probably just the tuning capacitor.  MFJ sells a small loop for 10-30MHz rated for 150W.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May have to use the existing kids and dog for the pack animals.  

wait, is it sad that i know what you're talking about?

Those videos are great!  The goats just follow him up the mountains.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#14]
you would need boiled peanuts if you got goats. have to watch your ground wires though. LOL.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build your own, the limiting factor on power is probably just the tuning capacitor.  MFJ sells a small loop for 10-30MHz rated for 150W.

another limiting factor is the cost of a vacuum variable
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
you would need boiled peanuts if you got goats.

If you're going to bring boiled peanuts, I might carry it for you.  

Yes, I'm from the South.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The MFJ loop tuners use butterfly capacitors.

MFJ-19
MFJ-23
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MFJ loop tuners use butterfly capacitors.

MFJ-19
MFJ-23

Yeah but if I remember right they're only rated at 200 watts.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you would need boiled peanuts if you got goats.

If you're going to bring boiled peanuts, I might carry it for you.  

Yes, I'm from the South.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah but if I remember right they're only rated at 200 watts.

Keep in mind, the MFJ loop tuners are typically located very close to the operator.  

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/antennatalk6.php
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those videos are great!  The goats just follow him up the mountains.  

I love his callsign (WG0AT)!
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#22]
BD any updates with the project?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope, a perfect storm of increased workload at the real job, plus wave after wave of spring storm fronts, and a little bit of procrastination have slowed the project down a scousch.  Working what will probably be another 15+ hour day today.  :-(

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
iPhone Double Tap.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I just received the LNR trail friendly 10/20/40 yesterday, and a WolphiLink for my Galaxy S4, looking forward to testing it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, a perfect storm of increased workload at the real job, plus wave after wave of spring storm fronts, and a little bit of procrastination have slowed the project down a scousch.  Working what will probably be another 15+ hour day today.  :-(

Well, that does beat being unemployed.    Still, 15+ work days do tend to tire one self out.

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that does beat being unemployed.    Still, 15+ work days do tend to tire one self out.

Vulcan94

The test stand at work had an issue and called it off early (really regular time) and I got home in time to mow the dandelions.
Wife is going to the movies with girlfriends, so now it's Dad duty.
And look what's circling in from the east...

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice line up BD. I have thought of each of those for a companion to my TJ4a. I am pulling for the alex loop if you do a shoot out.

But the bigger issue in this thread is bcauz3y lurks the Ham forum!

Quoted:
tagagge

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#29]
That same storm system dump a bunch of hail North of Charlotte today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]

rooster and peanut would have gone despite the storm.

ain't no goat 'fraid of rain.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

rooster and peanut would have gone despite the storm.

ain't no goat 'fraid of rain.

ar-jedi

I don't presume to be on the same level as "The Goat Hiker", Rooster & Peanut, but they sure look like they have a great time, don't they?
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I set up the AlexLoop Walkham on a vertical piece of 1" schedule 40 conduit supported by a steel yard marker stake.  This gets it above my seated head height while still making it accessible for tuning.  I don't have a lot of on air time with it yet, but have check in to a couple of nets with good signal reports.  The setup for this antenna doesn't get much easier.  You don't have to have any trees or masts at all.  It can be all hand held.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
These are the accessories I bought in addition to the complete Mini Buddipole package.  The idea here was to create a very light weight setup that can be packed into the same backpack with the IC-703+, and still have the complete Mini Buddipole package to use with my IC-7200.

• Additional VersaTee

• Mini Coil for 10-20m

• Rigid Shock-cord Adjustable Whip, Model 4/22 Length collapsed: 22" (56cm) Extended: 121" (307cm).  4-Section + Base + Stinger

• Shockcord Mast, 8', (not shown)

• Wire Assembly

• Custom Guying Kit

• Custom table top tripod made from old spotting scope

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Fast forward to the Memorial Day Weekend.  Nice weather and a welcome rest after a busy last few weeks at work.  Set up in the back yard again with the Buddipole in the vertical config.  IC-703+ @ 10w on battery power.  Tried 20m first, but ran in to wall-to-wall CW contestors.  Was recommended 30m by aa777888-2.
Required changing coils from the mini I was originally using, to one of the regular size ones.  Checked SWR with my little Autek and quickly dialed it in by adjusting  the coil tap and counterpoise length.  First digital contact honors for the Buddipole Vertical and for 30m goes to aa777888-2.  Thanks again for the help and QSO!  

I modified the shock-cord mast.  Originally it is 8' tall (there's a longer model also) when assembled.  That's too high for easily adjusting the coil taps, so I removed the end cap on the bottom piece exposing the shockcord.  It has one knot a lttle up from the bottom end of the cord.  Untied the knot and removed (2) sections of the mast.  Re-tied the knot and tucked the excess length back into the bottom piece and replaced the end cap.  Since I did not cut the shock cord, this mod is totally able to return to normal 8' config.  With the (2) sections removed, the coil heigth is about 5'6", approx face level for me.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#35]
The heck with the radio--dog + Cheetos make those photos full of win!
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Is there a reason not to use the large coil to start with? Will it not tune up to 20m?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is there a reason not to use the large coil to start with? Will it not tune up to 20m?

The idea with the mini coil is mainly to reduce size and weight to a minimum for backpack operation.  Buddipoles website says this about the mini coil:
From Buddipole Site:
Our new mini-coil was designed for the lightweight/compact crowd who primarily operate on 10m - 20m. Great for backpackers, travelers, SOTA enthusiasts, or anyone who is interested in minimizing the size and weight of their kit.

So, yes, the regular size coil will tune 20m also.  The mini coil will not tune 30m, at least my first try to do so was unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Time to try out the LNR (PAR) ENDFEDZ EF-10/20/40 MK II antenna.
Hung antenna in a sloper configuration with the Matchbox end about seven feet off the ground and the other end up in the trees about 25-30 feet.
Checked SWR at 14.067.500 MHz (ARFCOM Digital Guard Channel) and it was 1.1:1.  

ETA:  Something I haven't seen before:  I still had the radio turned on and tuned to the 20m ARFCOM Digital Guard Channel, but with the antenna disconnected from the radio.  As I was checking the SWR on the analyzer, I heard some noise coming from the radio speaker that got louder the closer the analyzer tuned to the same freq.  That was the resonant freq of the antenna, I assume.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Spent the day setting up all three antennas and connecting to my patch panel so I could switch between them for comparison.
Band conditions were horrible today, not QRP friendly, so will have to try again another time.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#40]

tag.

i really need to be able to find this thread if anyone ever accuses *me* of OCD.  

ps

B-D,
one might flirt with an avocation, and to a degree that is all most of us can ever achieve due to the ever-present Other Stuff Going On in life.  to truly understand the essence of any field requires a continual mode of enthusiastic curiosity and an appreciation for the nuances that can only be acquired by direct hands-on experience.  and by definition this means exploration of techniques and approaches outside one's own domain of understanding; in fact, it's the trip into the unknown -- beyond mental boundaries -- that allows one to holistically circle back and make more complete the grasp of the finer points.  this applies equally to practicing high energy physics, learning Italian, preparing gourmet food, and of course studying the sometimes black magic behavior of RF.  doing any of this successfully requires a stepwise, methodical and at times intellectually adventuresome approach to learning the art, and appreciating the art.  there is no "end" to it -- the reward is the journey of discovery itself.  this is not easy to explain to someone else; when pressed "why do you do that?" often the answer is massaged to fit the listener, rather than expressed accurately, because it's somewhat difficult to articulate "why you do that".  but again, the reward is internal -- a better understanding of an ever-widening window into the behavior of one's surrounding world.

i'm talking about you above.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

tag.

i really need to be able to find this thread if anyone ever accuses *me* of OCD.    

ps

B-D,
one might flirt with an avocation, and to a degree that is all most of us can ever achieve due to the ever-present Other Stuff Going On in life.  to truly understand the essence of any field requires a continual mode of enthusiastic curiosity and an appreciation for the nuances that can only be acquired by direct hands-on experience.  and by definition this means exploration of techniques and approaches outside one's own domain of understanding; in fact, it's the trip into the unknown -- beyond mental boundaries -- that allows one to holistically circle back and make more complete the grasp of the finer points.  this applies equally to practicing high energy physics, learning Italian, preparing gourmet food, and of course studying the sometimes black magic behavior of RF.  doing any of this successfully requires a stepwise, methodical and at times intellectually adventuresome approach to learning the art, and appreciating the art.  there is no "end" to it -- the reward is the journey of discovery itself.  this is not easy to explain to someone else; when pressed "why do you do that?" often the answer is massaged to fit the listener, rather than expressed accurately, because it's somewhat difficult to articulate "why you do that".  but again, the reward is internal -- a better understanding of an ever-widening window into the behavior of one's surrounding world.

i'm talking about you above.

ar-jedi

Thanks, ar-jedi-san

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Started sending 5w signal on 20m using WSPR to see how propagation is this morning.  Using Endfedz antenna 1st.  Other 2 antennas to follow.

Anyone hearing my WSPR signal on 20m?  

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#43]
WSPR screenshot using Endfedz antenna.  1230~1345Z

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Will keep an eye out, though we're pretty close together...

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#45]
WSPR screenshot using AlexLoop antenna. 1345-1500Z

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will keep an eye out, though we're pretty close together...

Thanks, 'Slice.  

Looks like the AlexLoop "hears" better than the Endfedz, but doesn't TX as far.
Maybe that's what seek2 was referring to by saying loops take a big hit in TX power output.  Seek2?

ETA:  I hear you on WSPR with the Buddipole, 'Slice.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#47]
WSPR screenshot using Buddipole antenna. 1500-1600Z

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Slightly off topic, but is that a generated shed that you incorporated into the play structure?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Slightly off topic, but is that a generated shed that you incorporated into the play structure?

Yep!   ARCHIVED THREAD - DIY Generator Power Cables & Install  

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top