Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 11 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
I just ordered a Baofeng GT-3TP Mark III.

View Quote

Do the keypad buttons down the right side work as DTMF A, B, C, and D?  The pics I've been looking at it doesn't show them labeled as such.  In fact, I don't think any of the Chicom radios I've seen have ABCD labeled on the keypad.

Just wish they'd use a standard SMA connector for the antenna.  

Was looking at the UV-82 but this looks like a better unit.  Amazon has it for $46 with the 1800 mAh battery, and $59 with the 3800 mAh battery.  Don't see it listed on the MTC radio page.  Might have call and see if they are going to be selling this model.

Was also looking at the Alinco DJ-500T.  However, it costs twice as much and I haven't figured out if the Alinco has dual receive on it.  Plus I'd need yet another programming cable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By BroncoGlenn:
Do the keypad buttons down the right side work as DTMF A, B, C, and D?  The pics I've been looking at it doesn't show them labeled as such.  In fact, I don't think any of the Chicom radios I've seen have ABCD labeled on the keypad.

Was looking at the UV-82 but this looks like a better unit.  Amazon has it for $46 with the 1800 mAh battery, and $59 with the 3800 mAh battery.  Don't see it listed on the MTC radio page.  Might have call and see if they are going to be selling this model.

Was also looking at the Alinco DJ-500T.  However, it costs twice as much and I haven't figured out if the Alinco has dual receive on it.  Plus I'd need yet another programming cable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I just ordered a Baofeng GT-3TP Mark III.

As I understand it, the menu, <, >, and exit keys on the top row above the 1,2,3,* keys correspond to DTMF ABCD.

There are some eBay sellers for the GT-3TP but they are higher priced than Amazon. A couple had the "best offer" option, but their counter offers were still about even with or a little higher than Amazon, sans 2 day Prime shipping.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:16:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kinglou0] [#3]
Disregard.......

Just dug through the archives to get my answer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:There are some eBay sellers for the GT-3TP but they are higher priced than Amazon. A couple had the "best offer" option, but their counter offers were still about even with or a little higher than Amazon, sans 2 day Prime shipping.
View Quote

I've been seeing this more and more for many items on Ebay.  I was looking at picking up an HP 35S calculator and I see them on Ebay for considerably higher amounts than what Amazon (or Walmart) sells them for ($50).  While some have formulas for a PE exam loaded in them and sell for $200, most do not. Seen one trying to sell a plain used one for $180. Good luck with that amigo.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#5]
My GT-3TP showed up today. It is a neat little radio.  The vast majority of the menu options are identical to the UV-5R so operating it is intuitive for anyone already familiar with a UV-5R and CHIRP.

The LED does appear to be a higher lumen version. And the signal strength indicator does appear to be functional. I can get it to drop a bar or two while receiving a local repeater if I cover the antenna with my hands.

I also verified that the DTMF keys output the correct tones over the air, and the correct side tones, and they do.

The unit also receives just fine with the key beep muted.

The only historic Baofeng firmware bug I haven't checked is the one where the scan function doesn't stop on channels with some certain CTCSS tones.

Nagoya antenna bases are too fat to fit inside the raised plastic ring around the antenna connector on the receiver and need to have a shoulder turned on the plastic antenna base to make them fit into the radio.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just picked up 2 of the UV-5R radios off Amazon for 23 bucks each. I also bought a few spare batteries and a programming cable (the real one) and had both running within 30 minutes of opening the boxes.

Best bang for your buck thats for sure
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm still lost with mine.  I also bought the "real" cable.  I managed to get through all the preset changes, but got stuck after that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
A legitimate cable is important for those not familiar with tweaking driver versions in Windows.

Here's a quick rundown for those not familiar: The USB serial port chip made by prolific has been counterfeited by Chinese makers. Prolific's response was to update the drivers such that the counterfeit chips would not work. While their original response was a driver that would brick the counterfeit chip, the current drivers simply prevent the device from being operated. Prior versions of the drivers work ok, however, if Windows is allowed to automatically update its drivers you may be routinely rolling back the drivers to allow it work again. It's a dance that I've become accustomed to, but, if I was to do it again I'd spend the extra for the bonfide cable to avoid any problems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's keep this out of the archives.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:44:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yorknoken] [#10]
My UV-5R has developed "scratchy" and dull receive audio, it sounds like the brush in the volume pot. has developed some corrosion. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a resolution or should I just pitch it and replace?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]

A legitimate cable is important for those not familiar with tweaking driver versions in Windows.

Here's a quick rundown for those not familiar: The USB serial port chip made by prolific has been counterfeited by Chinese makers. Prolific's response was to update the drivers such that the counterfeit chips would not work. While their original response was a driver that would brick the counterfeit chip, the current drivers simply prevent the device from being operated. Prior versions of the drivers work ok, however, if Windows is allowed to automatically update its drivers you may be routinely rolling back the drivers to allow it work again. It's a dance that I've become accustomed to, but, if I was to do it again I'd spend the extra for the bonfide cable to avoid any problems.
View Quote

Here is the full dirt for anyone interested.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jester_MP] [#13]
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php#cable

miklor website

Above is a simple work around if your driver doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Good info
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have too many HT's.  Sold off 4 of them at a club meeting.  My pile didn't shrink. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#16]
eBay is having some incredible sales on these radios if you search.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone tried out a UV-5X3?  Thinking about pulling the trigger on that and the BTech UV-5001 to try out
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

How do you know if you are ordering a legitimate cable?  Where is best place to order to get good price and still be certain you are getting a programming cable that will work?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By supercrew:

How do you know if you are ordering a legitimate cable?  Where is best place to order to get good price and still be certain you are getting a programming cable that will work?
View Quote

Looks for listings that state that the chipset is a genuine chipset.  Amazon has some claiming to be genuine FTDI chipset with no driver issues.  If that's true or they just have a better counterfeit version I don't know.  However, Amazon has a good return policy so if it is anything other than what it claims, you are covered.  And if you use their locker service it doesn't cost anything to return ship it.  Paypal also offers counterfeit protection through their purchases as well. Expect to pay around $20 for a legit cable from what I've been seeing.

My understanding is that they use the same two-prong programming cable that Kenwood uses so a legit Kenwood cable could be a way to go, although they tend to be a few bucks more. Someone who has experience with using Kenwood cables can better comment.

Another option is to get a standalone USB to DB9 serial port adaptor (assuming PC doesn't have a serial port) and then run a cable that uses a serial port and avoid having a USB to serial adaptor built into the cable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#20]
"Another option is to get a standalone USB to DB9 serial port adaptor (assuming PC doesn't have a serial port) and then run a cable that uses a serial port and avoid having a USB to serial adaptor built into the cable. "

This is the best way to make sure.  A programming cable that works for the 2-pin Kenwoods will work for the UV-5R and variants.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone try the new BAOFENG GT-3WP? They are also labeled as BAOFENG BF-A58 and I don't seem to remember the others? They seem like sturdy radios from what I've read and seen. I was going to try out the UV-82HP since I have a UV-5R V2+. I'm trying to find a HT that's realistically affordable, bigger than the standard UV-5R (prefer extended battery over all sized radios) and that can with stand some abuse.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Bump for us newbies to the UV-5R to avoid thread going Archive.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jupiter7200:
Older radios you had to press the band button to enter VHF or UHF, and enter the frequency manually (VFO).  If you had it in VHF and tried to enter 445.000, as you
pressed the last digit it would beep and not take the frequency.  Ditto trying to enter 146.52 while in UHF band.  Later radios did not do this, you entered whatever
frequency and it went to the correct band.

That's it.  If you don't have a band button then {Forrest Gump} Well, that's just one less thing to worry about. {/Forrest Gump}
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:
Thanks for all this info in one thread!  I ordered an F8+ along with a programming cable and handmic for $40 shipped on amazon.  Using your guide I installed chirp and my cable's drivers and got my radio filled.

My only question is about the "band" button.  Some of the UV-5Rs have a band button, but my F8+ doesn't have it.  What does this button do exactly?  It looks like on the F8+ software I can change bands by just typing in a new frequency.
Older radios you had to press the band button to enter VHF or UHF, and enter the frequency manually (VFO).  If you had it in VHF and tried to enter 445.000, as you
pressed the last digit it would beep and not take the frequency.  Ditto trying to enter 146.52 while in UHF band.  Later radios did not do this, you entered whatever
frequency and it went to the correct band.

That's it.  If you don't have a band button then {Forrest Gump} Well, that's just one less thing to worry about. {/Forrest Gump}
If the F8+ is similar to the GT-3TP, it probably actually does have the band button on the board, just no hole in the case or silicone keypad. They both use the same firmware.

If you want the button really bad, just buy someone's dead UV5R and put the F8+ guts in the case. But since you don't need it, it probably isn't worth the effort.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#24]
SOMETHING TO ADD ABOUT HEADPHONE / MIC JACK

The jacks are rather delicate and many have had problems with them opening and not
having speaker sound or mic not working after unplugging.  

It is not practical nor cost effective to change the jacks.  A kit of 1 large, 1 small jack
may be purchased but they are designated for one of the Puxing radios.  Don't waste
the time as it is almost impossible to remove the bad jacks without damaging surface
mount components around those jacks.  In that case, just toss the radio and buy
another.  Your time is more valuable than fooling with this.  Just like discarding a
Bic pen when it runs out of ink.

Knowing what I know now, I avoid external speaker-mics.  It's just a cheap radio that  
actually works quite well as a handi-talkie.  If you need a tactical radio for your SWAT
team buy something else.
View Quote
I have had the same experience. The speaker/mic jack on these radios has a very limited number of plug-unplug cycles before failure. It's best to save the jack for use with a programming cable. The radio's built in speaker and mic work well enough. And I also agree that if you need a radio for some high speed application that requires an external mic, just spend a little bit more and get a "real" radio.

I have several Baofengs and after losing one to the speaker jack failing and reading of others with the same problem I just decided that until they upgrade to better quality parts I will just use the ones I have like any other walkie talkies. So far that has worked very well for checking in to repeater nets.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Just thought I would add a bit of i to for those considering g the GT-3TP. The included car charger is a pass through adapter. It passes the full voltage from your car's cigar lighter socket with no voltage regulation. The charging base is designed to work with a 10V input. Some users have reported burning up their charging bases using the included car adapter. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#26]

I have had the same experience. The speaker/mic jack on these radios has a very limited number of plug-unplug cycles before failure. It's best to save the jack for use with a programming cable. The radio's built in speaker and mic work well enough. And I also agree that if you need a radio for some high speed application that requires an external mic, just spend a little bit more and get a "real" radio.

I have several Baofengs and after losing one to the speaker jack failing and reading of others with the same problem I just decided that until they upgrade to better quality parts I will just use the ones I have like any other walkie talkies. So far that has worked very well for checking in to repeater nets.
View Quote
I haven't had an issue with any of the 6 UV series radios I've got on hand.  Or the 4 BF-888 radios I've got either.  Knock on wood now they will probably all fail.  And a few of them regularly get either the handmics or motorcycle bluetooth adapters connected or disconnected.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Well,

I fo'd on a BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen).
Amazon Prime Day buy for $45.00
Got the computer cable for programming and Nagoya antenna for it too; $28.00 extra for those.

My 4 year old loves listening to the county dispatch on my phone.
Figured this would be more fun for us.

Stumbled onto this thread a while back and figured what the hell.

Now I'm studying up for tomorrow's delivery.

And yes, listening only.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#28]
So looking at eBay and wondering what's the new top dog Baofeng out right now ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 19Cohiba75:
So looking at eBay and wondering what's the new top dog Baofeng out right now ?
View Quote
The cheapest one you can get...  
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I ordered the UV-B5 and the 2018 BF-UVB3 Plus 8w. They will be my first radios. I also ordered the Genuine 771 antennas. We will see how they turn out. They should be here in a week or two.
If these radios are solid I may get the UV-XR 10w New Version waterproof. If I would have seen it I would have picked it up over the others.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
My Baofeng works for shit with my Nagoya whip. Original stubby? Much better than the Nagoya (and I'm pretty sure that the Amazon whip isn't a knock off, but who knows).
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Does your stubby have the "dome" top or the regular antenna looking top?  The dome top antennas are typically crap but the newer ones moved away from that antenna to a more standard looking one and they are pretty good antennas.  By whip are you talking the 701 or 771?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jeepinbanditrider:
Does your stubby have the "dome" top or the regular antenna looking top?  The dome top antennas are typically crap but the newer ones moved away from that antenna to a more standard looking one and they are pretty good antennas.  By whip are you talking the 701 or 771?
View Quote
My stubby has the regular antenna.

The Nagoya is a 771
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I've not noticed a big difference in performance when using the longer antennas unless I had the radio body mounted like on my warbelt or Plate carrier.  In those instances the longer antennas did seem to make a difference but in regular daily use just using the HT on it's own I didn't notice much difference without going to an external antenna.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a UV-5R when they first came out, it died within 4 days.
Sent back, 2nd one arrived.
Failed to turn on at 4 days again-

Took that one to the range and used it as an AR target at 200M.
It worked fine for that.
(Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, I am an idiot)

So, bought a UV-82.
This one is going on 3 years with no issue.
But, the use is sporadic if I have another ham visiting with no radio.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I bougth a coup Fedaxian FD-160 and couple batteries abought 8 years ago. Used them a ton. Had a Slim Jim made out of 1/2 copper pipe on the roof. 100 ft of RG8x. I let it run down the roof and used it out at the picnic table. I would stand in the pool ang get on the 2 meter net a couple time a week.

No problem hitting our repeater in St Louis which has a huge foot print on 5 watts. Well maybe 2 or so after the loss.

I also had a 50 watt Motorola amp I put up in the attic about 3 foot away from another antenna inside. With anothe 100 foot of RG8x. I could walk all around the basement. Used it for storms or the net or even simplex which is big around here. I could make 60-70 miles in parts of Missouri

There incredibley tough. I have lost count haw many times I  drop it on concrete a bunch. Son has one same thing no problems.

I bought a FD-460 for 440.

The batteries are just about shot but there like 8 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
I bougth a coup Fedaxian FD-160 and couple batteries abought 8 years ago. Used them a ton. Had a Slim Jim made out of 1/2 copper pipe on the roof. 100 ft of RG8x. I let it run down the roof and used it out at the picnic table. I would stand in the pool ang get on the 2 meter net a couple time a week.

No problem hitting our repeater in St Louis which has a huge foot print on 5 watts. Well maybe 2 or so after the loss.

I also had a 50 watt Motorola amp I put up in the attic about 3 foot away from another antenna inside. With anothe 100 foot of RG8x. I could walk all around the basement. Used it for storms or the net or even simplex which is big around here. I could make 60-70 miles in parts of Missouri

There incredibley tough. I have lost count haw many times I  drop it on concrete a bunch. Son has one same thing no problems.

I bought a FD-460 for 440.

The batteries are just about shot but there like 8 bucks.
View Quote
I had a couple each of the 160s and 460s.  Probably bought them around the same time you did.  They were very solidly built but after I picked up a UV-5R I stopped using them because there were monoband and I felt like the 5R was a better all around radio.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I have always wanted to get one of these but never figured it was worth a $40 investment.

I happened across a UV-5RV2+ at a pawn shop and picked it up for $20.

I am pretty impressed with it.

Also, tag.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Just bought one, gets delivered today. Glad I found this thread......
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Got the whole set up sitting on a shelf, still haven't programmed it yet.
Going on a year

Zero confidence in my skills in dealing with the damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By stinkypol:
Got the whole set up sitting on a shelf, still haven't programmed it yet.
Going on a year

Zero confidence in my skills in dealing with the damn thing.
View Quote
Get a good USB programming cable, download chirp, and figure out what local repeaters and personal simplex frequencies you want to use.  Just spend some time with the software and you'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#43]
These radios aren’t that bad to program. U can use a cheap program cable if u know how to update the drivers. New cables eliminate that problem. Chirp is easy to set memories for repeaters and simplex. A few YouTube videos should get u going. You can manually program repeaters and simplex quickly if you learn the menu numbers. The key is learning what you need and filtering out what all you don’t. You should be able to program a repeater with the freq, then only three menu settings. It takes me about 15 seconds total to program a repeater on vfo. Jus play with it and watch some YouTube videos. They really aren’t that complicated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

Get a good USB programming cable, download chirp, and figure out what local repeaters and personal simplex frequencies you want to use.  Just spend some time with the software and you'll figure it out.
View Quote
Originally Posted By Eastridge1213:
These radios aren’t that bad to program. U can use a cheap program cable if u know how to update the drivers. New cables eliminate that problem. Chirp is easy to set memories for repeaters and simplex. A few YouTube videos should get u going. You can manually program repeaters and simplex quickly if you learn the menu numbers. The key is learning what you need and filtering out what all you don’t. You should be able to program a repeater with the freq, then only three menu settings. It takes me about 15 seconds total to program a repeater on vfo. Jus play with it and watch some YouTube videos. They really aren’t that complicated.
View Quote
Repeaters and Simplex,

Youtube it is then.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DallasLooterShooter] [#45]

Repeaters and Simplex,

Youtube it is then.

Thanks
View Quote
Simplex:  means you talk to the person/people on the other radio(s) on the same frequency (this is how most regular wlamart radios work).

Repeater:  a radio device, typically mounted high on  structure in a somewhat populated area that receives your transmission on one (input) frequency and retransmits it simultaneously on a second (output) frequency with much more wattage, effectively increasing your communication range.  Your radio will need to be programmed to listen on the output freq, and transmit on the input freq.

Here are a couple of links that may help set you off in the direction of it all making sense.

ARRL band plan site

HAM radio for dummies
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Back to the possible speaker jack / mic jack problem... should that happen, rather than try to change the jacks, or discarding the
radio, I would suggest finding which pads have opened, and solder across them to make the connection.  You won't be able to
use a programming cable, but the radio will be usable for a while longer, and it costs nothing to do this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Simplex:  means you talk to the person/people on the other radio(s) on the same frequency (this is how most regular wlamart radios work).

Repeater:  a radio device, typically mounted high on  structure in a somewhat populated area that receives your transmission on one (input) frequency and retransmits it simultaneously on a second (output) frequency with much more wattage, effectively increasing your communication range.  Your radio will need to be programmed to listen on the output freq, and transmit on the input freq.

Here are a couple of links that may help set you off in the direction of it all making sense.

ARRL band plan site

HAM radio for dummies
View All Quotes

Repeaters and Simplex,

Youtube it is then.

Thanks

ARRL band plan site

HAM radio for dummies
Thank you.

I'll visit those.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:32:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eastridge1213] [#48]
Back to the possible speaker jack / mic jack problem... should that happen, rather than try to change the jacks, or discarding the
radio, I would suggest finding which pads have opened, and solder across them to make the connection.  You won't be able to
use a programming cable, but the radio will be usable for a while longer, and it costs nothing to do this.
View Quote
Wouldn’t you just be able to leave the speaker mic in and use it that way?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Question for all with the uv-b5/b6. Does your battery sit completely flush. Mine has a slight gap in it. Seems from the pressure from the connections. It’s slight but it’s there. If someone else can chime in on how there is it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#50]
My B5 batteries fit flush.
Page / 16
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 11 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top