Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:27:43 AM EDT
I'm looking at this HT and am wondering what people suggest for upgrades and nice to have accessories.  Any pair it with a super tier 1 case?

My search-fu had been weak lately, and didn't find much on the yahoo group.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I made sure to get one with the 3800 MAh battery.

I also, based on recommendation from here, got the NA-701 antenna.

I use an open top, universal style molle case if I'm on outdoors activity.

Haven't gotten anything else (besides program cable) due to HT1250 aquisition, and now, NRA Life Membership.

Funds are gone!!

eta: the Baofeng software started locking up on me after I installed the Motorola CPS on my laptop.  I downloaded Chirp, and haven't looked back!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still tryin' to get the @#$#$%%^&*(+_!! programming cable to work...

(not sure whether it is a counterfeit chip problem or user error)

Oh well...

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm still tryin' to get the @#$#$%%^&*(+_!! programming cable to work...

(not sure whether it is a counterfeit chip problem or user error)

Oh well...

I had the same problem with my programming cable.  Thanks to harleyrkc, he pointed me to this site.  
It explains what causes the problem and has a link to the proper drivers.  All I can say is that after downloading and installing the driver my programming cable
works like a charm!

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I made sure to get one with the 3800 MAh battery.

I also, based on recommendation from here, got the NA-701 antenna.

I use an open top, universal style molle case if I'm on outdoors activity.

Haven't gotten anything else (besides program cable) due to HT1250 aquisition, and now, NRA Life Membership.

Funds are gone!!

eta: the Baofeng software started locking up on me after I installed the Motorola CPS on my laptop.  I downloaded Chirp, and haven't looked back!!

Checking on amazon and I am seeing two, one for the 3R and one for the 5R, any difference between the two?

edit: I see the one for the 3R is male.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Baofeng UV-5R and recommended list of accessories:
1.Baofeng UV-5R radio:
This radio comes with a battery, charging base, wall plug, ear piece, and rubber duck antenna. (Amazon.com for $40-$50)

2.Spare battery is the most important.
Having either a 1800mAh or an extended 3600 / 3800mAh battery fully charged on hand to drop in if your current battery dies is in valuable.
(These batteries can be easily found on Amazon.com OR 409shop.com)

3.Spare battery that uses 6 AAA batteries.
Your battery and a spare will only last so long. You will not waltz into your local Wal-Mart and find a UV-5R battery on the shelf however AAA batteries are VERY plentiful! Rechargeable AAA batteries might even be a good route to go paired with a wall charger or a solar battery charger.
(I’ve only found this spare battery at 409shop.com. Solar battery chargers can be found at patriotpreppers.com or Amazon.com. Rechargeable batteries can be found almost anywhere.)

4.Aftermarket antenna.
I installed a Diamond SRJ77CA on mine and immediately started getting better reception. It’s not a must have but highly recommended. The model I chose is a bit long but shorter ones can be found on Amazon.com and 409shop.com. Almost any aftermarket antenna will perform better than the stock antenna. (I purchased my antenna at Ham Radio Outlet)

5. External Hand Mic.
Good tool to have in your radio toolbox. A hand mic makes your radio much more versatile. To communicate you don’t have to remove and reattach your entire radio from your belt, you can simply reach down; key your mic and talk. Cheaper models only do transmit and receive, more expensive models like the Kenwood SMC-34 allow volume adjustment and have a 2.5mm connector to attach an ear piece for even more privacy or stealth.
(Cheaper Wouxon style mics can be found on Amazon.com for $15-$20, I found the Kenwood mic in stock at HRO for $34)

6.SMA-F (female) to SO-239 adapter. (pigtail)
This adapter will allow you to connect your hand held radio to an external antenna.
(These cables can be found at RadioShack for $18, I found mine at 2wayelectronix.com for $10)

7.External antenna: Slim Jim Antenna.
This antenna coupled with the antenna adapter cable will allow you to talk and receive from MUCH further! Tie some 550 cord to a rock, tie the other end to this antenna, hoist it up in a tree and talk ever further. This antenna can also be easily rolled up and thrown in your radio / bug out style bag. (This antenna can be found at 2wayelectronix.com for $27 with an extra 16’ of RG8X coax cable to get from your antenna in the tree to your hand held. GREAT DEAL, I have 3!)

8.External Antenna: Magnet mount Antenna.
Your vehicle is actually shielding the radio waves trying to get in and out so using a magnet mount antenna on your vehicle will help you hear and talk farther.  You can go high end and spend a lot of money or go low end and still get the job done. I spent $40 on a Comet M-40 and it works great! I do plan to upgrade and spend $85 and I’ll report back on the results. (The Comet M-40 can be found in stock at HRO. Note the adapter cable will be needed)

9.12V Battery Eliminator:
Not necessary but a nice addition to your “all inclusive radio toolbox”. This attachment connects your radio directly to your car’s electrical system saving your battery’s life while you are using your battery in your car. Please note that this attachment will NOT recharge spent batteries. (This item can be found on Amazon.com or 409shop.com)

10.UV-5R USB Programming cable:
Good accessory to have to be able to program your radio however without the proper software or technical “know how” this cable is useless.

11.12V adapter for use with the charging base.
Currently untested and only sold from China in lots of 10. I plan to buy 10 to try them out. Will report back with results.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Good call on the Diamond SRJ77CA.

I've heard even the "name brand" Chinese antennas can have problems, factory seconds presented as new, etc.

Diamond has a solid reputation, and that model is priced well

Adding one to the "buy" list...
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
the uv5r radios are great. As already stated above--the extended battery's are well done. Antenna upgrade helps. the programming via cable is nice but not essential.

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two UV-5R's both with extended batteries.  I've been keeping both radios on with different antenna's on them to see if ones better then the other.  So far I've tried the Nagoya 701 and 771 with no noticeable difference.  Last week I got a Comet SMA-24J and that one will pick up transmissions the other two don't catch.  Though all of them are better then what they came with.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have two UV-5R's both with extended batteries.  I've been keeping both radios on with different antenna's on them to see if ones better then the other.  So far I've tried the Nagoya 701 and 771 with no noticeable difference.  Last week I got a Comet SMA-24J and that one will pick up transmissions the other two don't catch.  Though all of them are better then what they came with.

How big of an improvement was the 701 over the stock antenna?
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big of an improvement was the 701 over the stock antenna?

All the antenna's are drastically better then the stock ones.  But for the price difference Id recommend the Comet since it was only about $5 more than the other two.  I'll probly try a Diamond before its over also, but I found another report where someone else was testing the Comet and the Diamond based on repeater signals and they got a better report from the Comet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi guys, I'm also interested in getting into ham radio. Been reading here a lot but this is my 1st post in this sub forum.
Just got this thru an e-mail:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097252UK/ref=pe_194510_28015240_pe_epc_dt4

BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest Version)

I'm thinking this is a newer version? The write up reads like a 12 year old's work, but is this a decent beginner's unit?
My plan is to buy a HT and just listen in for the time being while I read and study for my licence.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought the same one for my "entry" into HAM unit.  Got the programming cable, spare battery and the radio for $70ish shipped.  I figure I can cut my teeth on this and upgrade later if I want to.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard that new shipments were on hold while the factory worked out the narrow band requirement.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Baofeng UV-5R and recommended list of accessories:
1.Baofeng UV-5R radio:
This radio comes with a battery, charging base, wall plug, ear piece, and rubber duck antenna. (Amazon.com for $40-$50)

2.Spare battery is the most important.
Having either a 1800mAh or an extended 3600 / 3800mAh battery fully charged on hand to drop in if your current battery dies is in valuable.
(These batteries can be easily found on Amazon.com OR 409shop.com)

3.Spare battery that uses 6 AAA batteries.
Your battery and a spare will only last so long. You will not waltz into your local Wal-Mart and find a UV-5R battery on the shelf however AAA batteries are VERY plentiful! Rechargeable AAA batteries might even be a good route to go paired with a wall charger or a solar battery charger.
(I’ve only found this spare battery at 409shop.com. Solar battery chargers can be found at patriotpreppers.com or Amazon.com. Rechargeable batteries can be found almost anywhere.)

4.Aftermarket antenna.
I installed a Diamond SRJ77CA on mine and immediately started getting better reception. It’s not a must have but highly recommended. The model I chose is a bit long but shorter ones can be found on Amazon.com and 409shop.com. Almost any aftermarket antenna will perform better than the stock antenna. (I purchased my antenna at Ham Radio Outlet)

5. External Hand Mic.
Good tool to have in your radio toolbox. A hand mic makes your radio much more versatile. To communicate you don’t have to remove and reattach your entire radio from your belt, you can simply reach down; key your mic and talk. Cheaper models only do transmit and receive, more expensive models like the Kenwood SMC-34 allow volume adjustment and have a 2.5mm connector to attach an ear piece for even more privacy or stealth.
(Cheaper Wouxon style mics can be found on Amazon.com for $15-$20, I found the Kenwood mic in stock at HRO for $34)

6.SMA-F (female) to SO-239 adapter. (pigtail)
This adapter will allow you to connect your hand held radio to an external antenna.
(These cables can be found at RadioShack for $18, I found mine at 2wayelectronix.com for $10)

7.External antenna: Slim Jim Antenna.
This antenna coupled with the antenna adapter cable will allow you to talk and receive from MUCH further! Tie some 550 cord to a rock, tie the other end to this antenna, hoist it up in a tree and talk ever further. This antenna can also be easily rolled up and thrown in your radio / bug out style bag. (This antenna can be found at 2wayelectronix.com for $27 with an extra 16’ of RG8X coax cable to get from your antenna in the tree to your hand held. GREAT DEAL, I have 3!)

8.External Antenna: Magnet mount Antenna.
Your vehicle is actually shielding the radio waves trying to get in and out so using a magnet mount antenna on your vehicle will help you hear and talk farther.  You can go high end and spend a lot of money or go low end and still get the job done. I spent $40 on a Comet M-40 and it works great! I do plan to upgrade and spend $85 and I’ll report back on the results. (The Comet M-40 can be found in stock at HRO. Note the adapter cable will be needed)

9.12V Battery Eliminator:
Not necessary but a nice addition to your “all inclusive radio toolbox”. This attachment connects your radio directly to your car’s electrical system saving your battery’s life while you are using your battery in your car. Please note that this attachment will NOT recharge spent batteries. (This item can be found on Amazon.com or 409shop.com)

10.UV-5R USB Programming cable:
Good accessory to have to be able to program your radio however without the proper software or technical “know how” this cable is useless.

11.12V adapter for use with the charging base.
Currently untested and only sold from China in lots of 10. I plan to buy 10 to try them out. Will report back with results.

Thanks for all the information.  I've been on the fence about whether to get a Wouxon or a Baofeng UV-5R.  I went ahead and ordered the Baofeng and will be getting the SRJ77CA antenna, plus the other things you mentioned.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
So,

I've got some accessories already listed...so I'll skip that...

But look at this...

Link

Is like the old Moto speaker mic wih remote antenna...

Thoughts
Bret
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I heard that new shipments were on hold while the factory worked out the narrow band requirement.

there is no "narrow band" requirement for an amateur radio, plus its already NB compliant.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there is no "narrow band" requirement for an amateur radio, plus its already NB compliant.

Yes, and yes

These uv-5r radios are typ accepted radios...part 90 I think...but they do work on the ham band...

They are readily available. I just got 8 last week.

Radios

If you can't find them...the above is a link to a Chinese store...they ship fast and haven't had any issues...

Bret
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I see some of the UV-5R's with a frequency range of 400-480 MHz, and others with a range of 400-520 MHz.  Anyone know why there's a difference in them and is the added frequency range up to 520 MHz of any value?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok,

These are commercial radios and some people that may be a big deal...

The only differance is the firmware...

And after I think BFB291 you can open up the radio to 520mhz...

If you use chirp...it gives you options for the upper limit and lower limit of each band...

I wouldn't think too many need the extra coverage...

Bret
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and yes

These uv-5r radios are typ accepted radios...part 90 I think...but they do work on the ham band...

Radios

If you can't find them...the above is a link to a Chinese store...they ship fast and haven't had any issues...

Bret

Yeah, that's the issue, they're sold/licensed as business class radios, so they have to meet spec. I heard it from MTC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and yes

Radios

Bret

Yeah, that's the issue, they're sold/licensed as business class radios, so they have to meet spec. I heard it from MTC.

Yes sold as type 90 business radio...but ham band no issues...

I actually have business radios and use them quite often...so I ordered these for that end first...

As for ham...same rules apply...these are of a couple classes spec higher than ham...meet the part 97 specs easily...

And I'm sure every ham has used part 90 radios many times...most repeaters are built off of part 90 business gear...everything from Motorola through newer vertex gear...is used everyday for ham radio use.

See, the wording that allows this is must meet specs of part 97 which are much looser specs than part 90 ... same goes for part 95 etc...

Not to mention there are tons of kids and what not going on the frs and gmrs bands...

You buy the radios at any box store and go to chatting...

Anyhow, I would not worry about running a uv-5r on the gmrs or frs frequencies...the FCC has much more to do than to kick in your door and ask to see yout gmrs radio...not to mention how would they know...?

If I wasn't in to running business gear I'd still like this radio...both for gmrs and frs and ham uses its a decent radio...and at 40 bucks...wow!

They are a little quirky as being a business radio and usually programmed from a computer...and not easily done from the front panel...

Like Ive said other threads I have 8 brand new ones that I haven't even given the shake down to yet...

Ymmv

Bret

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
So how worth it is the Nagoya antenna? I like the fact that its only 8" instead of the comets 17, but if its not much better than the stock antenna its not worth the 13$

does the antenna upgrade help with the crappy squelch?
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hi guys, I'm also interested in getting into ham radio. Been reading here a lot but this is my 1st post in this sub forum.

BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest Version)

I'm thinking this is a newer version? The write up reads like a 12 year old's work, but is this a decent beginner's unit?
My plan is to buy a HT and just listen in for the time being while I read and study for my licence.

Just received mine from Amazon yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So how worth it is the Nagoya antenna? I like the fact that its only 8" instead of the comets 17, but if its not much better than the stock antenna its not worth the 13$

does the antenna upgrade help with the crappy squelch?

The Comet antenna can easily be rolled up with no damage at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just received mine from Amazon yesterday.

Got mine today.  It's labeled "UV-5RA".  I'm not an electronics nerd so I have no idea how to really use it yet.

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok,

I've got several uv-5r of various versions...

They are easily separated into groups...

Uv-5r and and designator beyond that is just cosmetic with the exception of the +, more on that later.

So to check your version of radio hold down the 3 button and turn it on...

You will see the firmware version...

BFB297 is the most recent version...and is now supported in chirp daily builds...still working on some features but if you need these email me...

I wouldn't want anything before BFB291...that was a big change in software...

Now the + version...just says it comes with the larger battery...

Best extra goodies...a few radios...seriously having a few is a huge benefit for various reasons...

Extra extra goodies, a small mag mount antenna with the proper connector...

Extra extra extra goodies, spare batteries...and either an inear or speaker mic...

I've been a ham radio operator right about 20 years...so, I've had many different radios and toys over the years...

My idea is to have everything to supply a full time crew of about 12-15 on hand...

Radios are getting over to these uv-5r's...I have 12 ht's 6-7 mobile rigs...a couple base all Mode rigs as well...

If your on a limited budget...first off have enough radios to get one to every person in your family...

Then, get the nice to haves, like like better antennas, mag mount antenna...or one mounted in your bov...

Then, get the cool to haves, like speaker mics, ear tubes, etc...

Like I say, I've been a ham for quite some time...only really needed them a few times...I know my speaker mics and headsets haven't been used more than twice.

Now, I started a thread about waterproofing radios...and in reference to these radios...if I'm planning on running in wet conditions Ive always run a ziplock closed over the whole thing and just plugged in the speaker mic or headset through the bag...

At the cost of these they are disposable...

Now I don't have endless money and I'm sure most of you don't either..

Spend your money wisely..

eBay for these radios from china direct, and the speaker mics or batteries as well...

It will take 1-2 weeks to get them but you'll save a bunch...

My current stable of uv-5r  accessories, couple large batteries, 6 speaker mics, 12+ in ear speaker mics...haven't tried the throught ones yet.

Bret

P.s. Radios, accessories

That guy has been good with special requests and such, he's on vacation for a week, but has been super reliable and fair on prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top