Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2012 9:26:52 AM EDT
I'm driving to Orlando from Pencacola and will try the VHF calling channel Freq just to see if I can raise anyone while in route.

Just because....
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lake City ...contact
Ocala.....contact
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I drove 1300 miles from NC to OK and talked to 2 people along the way (one I met on a repeater) I was very let down. In Arkansas I passed a guy from Texas with a screwdriver and a couple vhf antennas. He was running APRS. I slowed down, waved and held my mic up so he could see it and he just kept driving.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have luck.  I had a qso with 4 people at the same time near Freeport.  They were between there and Destin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I drove 1300 miles from NC to OK and talked to 2 people along the way (one I met on a repeater) I was very let down. In Arkansas I passed a guy from Texas with a screwdriver and a couple vhf antennas. He was running APRS. I slowed down, waved and held my mic up so he could see it and he just kept driving.

I bet that he thought you were a Cb'er.    

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Drove from Seattle to DC and only made contact on 52 in St Louis
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
40m mobile is the best place to be. 2m is a wasteland.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Few people listening, even fewer calling.

I decided to call every couple of miles while rolling down a rural Illinois interstate once.  Had a nice QSO after calling for about half an hour.

Is it considered bad form to call CQ on 52?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why is 40m Mobile best?  Is there a mobil net freq?  Just wondering cause its much easier to get a good mobile antenna on 20 and up.  I may try 40 mobile again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Midcars, Southcars and Ecars nets all come to mind. 40m is a very active band during the daylight hours and there is lots of activity from 7.125 to 7.300 if you have a rig and antenna that will allow you to operate. The three nets are mobile radio oriented and would be a good starting point for working 40m.  

If you are traveling at night 40m will give you some coast to coast coverage and some DX.  Line of sight to 300 miles depending on band conditions during the day. Perfect to keep you company while on the road. Ham sticks are cheap too....so getting on 40m is no problem.

Google is you friend, so look up the three nets I mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lake City ...contact
Ocala.....contact

And

Orlando...contact.

Thats all the places I found to raise CQ.

To the other poster, Freeport may have been to far South from I-10 but I did try.  On the return trip Thrusday I will try again.

Just because....hey its a new QSO contest. It is hard to log the call-signs driving though.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I drove from Phoenix to San Francisco and back, there were only a handful of spots where I didn't hear or couldn't raise someone.

In Phoenix, 146.52 is crazy busy –– I think it's just some regions are less active than others.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]

When you got his attention, you should have held up your hand and alternated five fingers and two fingers. If he couldn't figure that out, then he was either a d**kh**d or in a borrowed car.

RS
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Midcars, Southcars and Ecars nets all come to mind. 40m is a very active band during the daylight hours and there is lots of activity from 7.125 to 7.300 if you have a rig and antenna that will allow you to operate. The three nets are mobile radio oriented and would be a good starting point for working 40m.  

If you are traveling at night 40m will give you some coast to coast coverage and some DX.  Line of sight to 300 miles depending on band conditions during the day. Perfect to keep you company while on the road. Ham sticks are cheap too....so getting on 40m is no problem.

Google is you friend, so look up the three nets I mentioned.

I've worked 45+ states + Canada multiple times during daylight hours in the last 2 ILL QSO party. The first year was close and far at the same time. Never heard 40 open like that before. I was operating portable both times with a dipole at 12-15 feet.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]
My company frequently sends me to Florida, and while there I usually drive several times between Orlando and Tampa. I always bring an Icom 2m V82 with me and run an antenna on a window mount. I've always found someone to talk to, and if you get lost they fall over themselves to help

The hams in FL seem to be pretty friendly, and not mystified with my accent like they are in VA.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My company frequently sends me to Florida, and while there I usually drive several times between Orlando and Tampa. I always bring an Icom 2m V82 with me and run an antenna on a window mount. I've always found someone to talk to, and if you get lost they fall over themselves to help

The hams in FL seem to be pretty friendly, and not mystified with my accent like they are in VA.

Fl = Old retired
Old retired = ham
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I call on 146.52 fairly regularly. I qso on it 2 or 3 times a month.

Why have a calling frequency and not use it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#17]
not much activity on our local repeater never mind 52... but there was this one time driving to work we had a 4 person round the table qso on 52... Band must have opened up for a short time.  I was in upstate ny just north of Lake George, another was in Vermont, another was in Mass and the last was south of me in upstate NY.  Only happened that once, maybe I need to throw my call out on 52 more often.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#18]
maybe I need to throw my call out on 52 more often.

A device that automatically sent a prerecorded message every couple of minutes would come in handy during road trips.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lake City ...contact
Ocala.....contact

And

Orlando...contact.

Thats all the places I found to raise CQ.

To the other poster, Freeport may have been to far South from I-10 but I did try.  On the return trip Thrusday I will try again.

Just because....hey its a new QSO contest. It is hard to log the call-signs driving though.

On the return trip not one contact. Tried about 15 times alone the route back home.

One thing I will do is monitor it myself while I am on the air from now on. added it to my scan list in the truck and in the house for those that do call and need something.

Sails
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
It is in my scan list as well as a priority channel.
Also is always the second freq on the HTs dual watch when I am just listening to the local repeater.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top