Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2012 6:38:20 AM EDT
Compliments of Barry

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. The Federal Government must have the ability to communicate at all times and under all circumstances to carry out its most critical and time sensitive missions. Survivable, resilient, enduring, and effective communications, both domestic and international, are essential to enable the executive branch to communicate within itself and with: the legislative and judicial branches; State, local, territorial, and tribal governments; private sector entities; and the public, allies, and other nations. Such communications must be possible under all circumstances to ensure national security, effectively manage emergencies, and improve national resilience. The views of all levels of government, the private and nonprofit sectors, and the public must inform the development of national security and emergency preparedness (NS/EP) communications policies, programs, and capabilities.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
So, did we not have this capability before 7/6?
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]
This replaces the one put in by Reagan that sounded an awful lot like this one does.

FWIW
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
All your hams are belong to us.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
"We are sorry but all circuits are busy have been rerouted to emergency service workers"

Or

Hey Mr. HOA man the .gov NEEDS me!

Not sure how I feel yet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah sitting on the rail on this one. Could be used to fight HOAs against antenna restrictions but also to take away spectrum.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Commercial wireless providers are looking at bands 928mhz and higher for exclusive or primary access.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw this while settling in to Sunday School this morning.   Didn't like the sound of it.  Showed the wife and told her that we needed that radio I kept telling her about.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure exactly what it means but it basically looks like a free pass to do as they please.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
What bothers me the most is Section 5.2 sub-section (e). If I read that correctly, DHS can either force you to help them on the air, or confinscate all your equipment for their use.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What bothers me the most is Section 5.2 sub-section (e). If I read that correctly, DHS can either force you to help them on the air, or confinscate all your equipment for their use.

Molon labe!
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molon labe!

e) satisfy priority communications requirements through the use of commercial, Government, and privately owned communications resources, when appropriate;

I think that would entail utilization of MARS, ARES, RACES and other volunteers. Do not worry, if DHS or FEMA comes to force you into indentured servitude, just point out you do not have ICS-200 or any of the NIMS courses and they will run from you like you have the plague!
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
What if you do have ICS100,200,700?
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

say you lost them in a boating accident.  
i read about this strategy on a website once.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Crap I have those as well.

CAP?

That's where I did mine.

Each of them were the standard Government test, and a complete waste of time except to complete the requirement.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
FMCDH - applies to ALL of my property, including black radios.

Several years ago the gungho whacker types in the county where I used to live in Oregon were putting on another of their stoopid tsunami drills, and as usual routed their traffic through my privately owned infrastructure without aking for permission.   It was the last straw and in the middle the exercise I cut the power, let the gear cool off and packed it all in boxes where it stayed for 9 years.

I WILL NOT EVER hold any formal agreement, attachment, or membership with any government sanctioned EMCOMM groups.    The whole drawing under the DHS umbrella thing troubles me, and I don't believe the state of the Amateur Radio Service benefits from it in any way.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Molon labe!

e) satisfy priority communications requirements through the use of commercial, Government, and privately owned communications resources, when appropriate;

I think that would entail utilization of MARS, ARES, RACES and other volunteers. Do not worry,if DHS or FEMA comes to force you into indentured servitude, just point out you do not have ICS-200 or any of the NIMS courses and they will run from you like you have the plague!

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FMCDH - applies to ALL of my property, including black radios.

Several years ago the gungho whacker types in the county where I used to live in Oregon were putting on another of their stoopid tsunami drills, and as usual routed their traffic through my privately owned infrastructure without aking for permission.   It was the last straw and in the middle the exercise I cut the power, let the gear cool off and packed it all in boxes where it stayed for 9 years.

I WILL NOT EVER hold any formal agreement, attachment, or membership with any government sanctioned EMCOMM groups.    The whole drawing under the DHS umbrella thing troubles me, and I don't believe the state of the Amateur Radio Service benefits from it in any way.

It won't benefit Amateur Radio, but it may benefit ARRL.

This sounds like taxpayer money will flow freely as they shore up CERT etc.

And of course departments, municipalities, etc will need new equipment.

As mentioned earlier, positions will have to be created to coordinate, facilitate, monitor, report, et al.

Kind of like a transfer of wealth.  But who doesn't want that in the name of security, for the children, future generations........
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It won't benefit Amateur Radio, but it may benefit ARRL.

Yup.    But ARRL's position is that of useful idiots, in on the game, or likely both!

We have the FCC already, and one division of one cabinet department ought to be enough to regulate any one thing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Govt agency ensuring they can do anything they want by Executive Order.  Obama will sign anything put in front of him.  He doesn't know what a Mhz is.

Don't forget, ham radio was shutdown during WWI and WWII.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Govt agency ensuring they can do anything they want by Executive Order.  Obama will sign anything put in front of him.  He doesn't know what a Mhz is.

Don't forget, ham radio was shutdown during WWI and WWII.

Yes, it was.  And after WWI, the Secretary of the Navy tried to seize ALL SPECTRUM for military use ONLY.  No broadcast AM, FM, TV, WiFI, amateur radio, nothing...  Of course, during both of those wars, amateurs joined up to operate radio equipment in the field and on ships because they were qualified to do so...  I think it was the amateur community that helped lead to the creation of the FCC.

I understand everyone getting up in arms, but there is a price we pay for our spectrum, and this is it.  It's not that this benefits the amateur community, it's how does the amateur community benefit the government...  If you consider how much spectrum that is owned by you and me (i.e., ALL OF IT) that's been auctioned off, I think it's a miracle that we're given anything at all.  It's probably the most limited resource we have, and it is governed by the laws of physics.

I'm not saying I'm happy with this, I'm not saying I'm OK with this.  I'm just saying that this is the price we pay to keep our spectrum most likely...

Can someone post a link to the Reagan version mentioned above?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Find it here?

"Stroke of the pen. Law of the Land. Kinda cool."
Paul Begala, former Clinton advisor, The New York Times, July 5, 1998

"We've switched the rules of the game. We're not trying to do anything legislatively."
Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt, The Washington Times, June 14, 1999

Executive Orders (EOs) are legally binding orders given by the President, acting as the head of the Executive Branch, to Federal Administrative Agencies. Executive Orders are generally used to direct federal agencies and officials in their execution of congressionally established laws or policies. However, in many instances they have been used to guide agencies in directions contrary to congressional intent.

Not all EOs are created equal. Proclamations, for example, are a special type of Executive Order that are generally ceremonial or symbolic, such as when the President declares National Take Your Child To Work Day. Another subset of Executive Orders are those concerned with national security or defense issues. These have generally been known as National Security Directives. Under the Clinton Administration, they have been termed "Presidential Decision Directives."

Executive Orders do not require Congressional approval to take effect but they have the same legal weight as laws passed by Congress. The President's source of authority to issue Executive Orders can be found in the Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution which grants to the President the "executive Power." Section 3 of Article II further directs the President to "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed." To implement or execute the laws of the land, Presidents give direction and guidance to Executive Branch agencies and departments, often in the form of Executive Orders.

Controversy

Executive Orders are controversial because they allow the President to make major decisions, even law, without the consent of Congress. This, of course, runs against the general logic of the Constitution –– that no one should have power to act unilaterally. Nevertheless, Congress often gives the President considerable leeway in implementing and administering federal law and programs. Sometimes, Congress cannot agree exactly how to implement a law or program. In effect, this leaves the decision to the federal agencies involved and the President that stands at their head. When Congress fails to spell out in detail how a law is to be executed, it leaves the door open for the President to provide those details in the form of Executive Orders.

From Here

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Executive Order Poses No Threat to the Amateur Radio Service

Are they full of it or are they speaking the truth?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top