Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2012 2:38:38 PM EDT
I've resurrected my setup to continue pursing the goal of 1 million miles / watt.  I came pretty close in October of 2010, but never quite reached it. Now that I have more than one HF rig to play with, I can dedicate my QRP rig to give it another try and share the fun with some of the newer members who have asked about it.  Also, the propagation is much better now so it should help out in the quest.
ETA:  Success with 1,255,250 miles / watt on 2-28-12!

With the maximum power output of the IC-703 set to 1W, I further reduced this output to 800mW by reducing the TX knob on the Signalink USB so that the indicated Po reads "8" on the IC-703 display.

I then inject that 800mW into a 30dB attenuator, resulting in 800uW output. (800 micro watts)
800mW pIN = 29dBm - 30dB attenuator pad = -1 dBm = 800uW pOUT. That's 0.000800 watts!

Then it's just a matter of fishing for contacts that can hear this small output signal from you and report it back on WSPR!  Depending on the output power, convert it back to watts and your distance to the contact is your miles / watt.

Here's a previous example:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/636223__ARCHIVED_THREAD____WSPR_Will_Not_TX_on_IC_703_____PROBLEM_RESOLVED___.html&page=6#i10907323

*** I would like to warn anyone considering playing with attenuators like this to be careful.***   ar-jedi explained it better than I can...
Quoted:
i do want to make a cautionary note for others following this thread and considering employing an attenuator:

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE!

that is, double check your output power before keying up.

this is doubly important with a QRO rig, versus a QRP rig (like the thread author's 10W output Icom 703+).

an attenuator, aka "pad", is basically a two port power divider, but inside of having a second "user" port it dissipates the power internally. for example, with a 30dB attenuator (which is a "divide-by-thousand" in decimal-speak), 1/1000 of the input power is passed through to the output, and 999/1000 of the input power is dissipated internally as heat.

read that last sentence again, and concentrate on the last part.

EVERY attenuator has a maximum continuous power handling rating, usually marked on it and/or available via the data sheet. the Mini-Circuits model HAT 30+ (link) that BigDaddy is employing in this thread in an attempt to attract members of the opposite sex has a continuous (CW mode) power rating of 1W across the operating temperature of -40'C to 100'C and across the frequency range of DC to 2GHz(*).

if you inject more than the rated power into an attenuator, there are about 87 possible outcomes, all of them bad for the attenuator and some very bad for the attached transmitter. after being overdriven, the attenuator can fail short, open, or have a wildly different attenuation value than the label suggests. in the event that the attenuator fails short or open, the transmitter will not be happy. you will recall from your Technician and General class study guides that for best power transfer the source impedance and load impedance MUST match. in this case, both should be 50ohms. with a damaged attenuator, you may end up with a load impedance of 0 ohms (dead short), or infinite ohms (open), or something in between.

recall also that mismatched impedances (which manifest as a high SWR reading) will result in power reflected back from the load (attenuator) to the source (transmitter). what happens next falls right into the category called "anyone's guess". a shorted or open attenuator will reflect most all of the power back to radio; for a QRO rig set on high power (e.g. 100W) this will likely damage the output transistors. with the attenuator directly attached to the radio, there is absolutely no coax (much less an antenna) here to absorb some of the reflected power; all of it goes back into the radio.

Cliff Notes version:
double check your output power BEFORE transmitting into an attenuator which is rated for less power handling than the radio's maximum power output.

ar-jedi

(*)
the frequency range of an attenuator is a function of it's internal construction, and the connectors employed at the ports. it is of course not that difficult to design a 30dB attenuator from discrete resistors, and make it work at 10MHz. on the other hand, making an attenuator with ruler flat attenuation (+/- 0.25dB or so) from DC to 2GHz is an entirely different matter. the combination of parasitic capacitance and transmission path inductance starts to work against you by about 100MHz, and by 1GHz they are really having their way with you. that said, an attenuator designed for 0-500MHz is not necessarily a quarter of the price of an attenuator designed for 0-2GHz. the thin film resistor deposition manufacturing technique, followed by a precision laser trim, is incredibly inexpensive these days, and there is no/little cost premium when buying a usable-to-many-GHz attenuator.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
800mW I understand

but 800uW output is pushing it (or not I suppose )
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
WSPR sounds like it would be a lot of fun.  I've set it up so I can use it with my Yaesu FT-857D.  The problem is that I can't get it to transmit.  I can receive just fine.  Just can't transmit.
I have a CAT cable hooked up to com 4 on the PC and my Donner Digital interface in going to com 5.  When I use HRD, I can control the transceiver from the PC just fine.  This is really
beginning to bug the frak out of me.

I think I'm just going to go to bed.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my last 24 hours of 30m WSPR at a power output of 800uW.  The WSPR program indicates 1mW (0.001W) because that's the lowest value it supports.

The distance to this contact was 463.7 miles.  So multiply x 1000 to convert 0.001 (1mW) to 1 watt and you get 463,700 miles / watt.
But at my reduced power output, I multiply by 1250 to convert 0.000800 (800uW) to 1 watt which results in 579,625 miles / watt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
crappy prop numbers tonight but I'm on WSPR and know you've heard me in the past hour

I'm not hearing you though... I'm going to kick mine down to .5w my next TX

.5w (power scale is 30w max - 100 = 10w and 10=1w)

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
crappy prop numbers tonight but I'm on WSPR and know you've heard me in the past hour

I'm not hearing you though... I'm going to kick mine down to .5w my next TX

NUCdt04,
I have indeed received your TX(s), but the one above is the only guy so far that's heard my low signal.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
BD, that's nuts!  I hope you can do it!

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've resurrected my setup to continue pursing the goal of 1 million miles / watt.

all of us are unworthy.  

ar-jedi

ps:
what sort of antenna are you using for this noble cause?

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted::

what sort of antenna are you using for this noble cause?

African or European Swallow?  

I'm trying it out with my newest antenna, the S9V43' vertical.  The simple inverted V on the crappie pole in the other thread worked out really well last time around, but I thought I'd get better coverage with an omni directional this time.  We'll see how it turns out.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Switched to 20m @ 1157z.  Same 800uW Pout.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm trying it out with my newest antenna, the S9V43' vertical.  The simple inverted V on the crappie pole in the other thread worked out really well last time around, but I thought I'd get better coverage with an omni directional this time.  We'll see how it turns out.

ok, good luck and keep at it.

ar-jedi

ps: all the stuff in your emcomm box is mounted upside down.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#11]
up on 20 - booming to Europe!

listening for you
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wondering but what is the max pwr to use with WSPR? Is it like PSK where you will wipe the waterfall? Also what kinda duty cycle is it? Can you leave it run for a couple hours?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just wondering but what is the max pwr to use with WSPR? Is it like PSK where you will wipe the waterfall? Also what kinda duty cycle is it? Can you leave it run for a couple hours?

Max power is the lowest you can run - I think 5w is frowned upon....

duty cycle varies - you can set it in the program (I have mine to TX 10% of every hour - that is 10% of the time groups per hour are me TXing) the program changes where you actually TX to deal with duping
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok thanks. Im downloading the software now to see what its like. I just saw a couple of VHF spots there too.

I can see it now....

The wife walks into the shack, you sitting on your hands with your nose two inches from the screen. There is not a sound in the shack no static, no faint vocies that sound like Donald Duck, and no tick tick of CW being typed out.. Just quiet. Then some rare DXer spots your call and you jump out of your seat and give a soild NJ fist pump. When you turn to tell her that you just made contact with someone in XXX with less power then your kids remote controled Air Hogs controller you get the all to common eye roll, then back to quiet and looking into the screen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Big Goddamned deal. 1,000, 000 miles to the watt.

Call me back when you can figure out how to get my pickup to get 150 miles to the gallon of gas and THEN I will be impressed.

Seriously, it sounds like an interesting project.Well, maybe not interesting enough to get you a job selling beer on TV but interesting enough so I want you to keep me posted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No one heard my 20m TX at this level with the S9v43 vertical antenna during the day.
Switching back to 30m @ 2240z, but using the 130' fence-top NVIS antenna.  Same 800uW Pout.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess I don't get it.  I have my radio hooked up and am receiving (finally, this WSPR is hard to wrap my head around).  I see green on the waterfall, but there's nothing decoded.  Am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 2:57:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I guess I don't get it.  I have my radio hooked up and am receiving (finally, this WSPR is hard to wrap my head around).  I see green on the waterfall, but there's nothing decoded.  Am I doing something wrong?

make sure your computer's clock is sync'd

if you don't have a program that does it- use this:

make sure you run it as admin on a Win7 machine
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the capability to sync your PC with an external NTP time server has been built into every version of Windows from XP on.  there is no additional, ancillary program needed.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the capability to sync your PC with an external NTP time server has been built into every version of Windows from XP on.  there is no additional, ancillary program needed.  

ar-jedi

at least on mine it wasn't near accurate enough

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

I've used D4 on my desktop and netbook, both Windows XP machines,  since I started playing with WSPR a year and a half ago.  I read about it in the WSPR literature somewhere and blindly followed directions.  IDK if it's really needed, like ar-jedi mentioned.  I have not had any time-drift issues.  Since it's a free program for Non-commercial users, seems like cheap insurance.    
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
if you don't have a program that does it- use this:
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
I use it and recommend it. Very quietly and competently keeps your computer clock synced to one of the standard clocks available around the country.

Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

That's what I found. The WinDoze clock sync app doesn't update often enough and you don't know how much the clock was adjusted. With D4 you can configure an update once a minute if you want or have to and you can see the amount of adjustment at each update. I use it to have more control over the clock which is critical in WSPR and JT65 modes.

Been getting back into JT65-HF lately. Just stunning what you can do with 20w and less. Finally got an Asiatic Russia QSL using the mode. 20w and vertical on his end, 20w and dipole on my end with plenty of signal strength to spare. Could have done it on 10w.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The WinDoze clock sync app doesn't update often enough and you don't know how much the clock was adjusted.

http://dossy.org/2007/02/make-winxps-ntp-client-poll-more-frequently/

etc for Win7.
http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html

ETA:
btw, if you install a third-party application to set the system clock, be sure to disable the windows native application.  two chiefs are not better than one.

ETA2:
in general, the system clock should never be "adjusted" such that it goes backward or forward.  the way NTP is supposed to work(*) is that if the system clock is ahead of the reference clock, the system clock is "slowed" until the two are in alignment.  the system clock is not "set" backwards.  if this were to occur, tasks could be run twice.  similarly, if the system clock is behind the reference clock, the system clock is "sped up" until the two are in alignment.  the system clock is not "set" forward, otherwise scheduled tasks can be missed.  the term used here in synchronization is "monotonically increasing" –– the clock ALWAYS proceeds forward in a stepwise fashion.  some of the steps may be a *tiny* bit shorter or longer, but there are always steps and they are always forward.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotonic_function

(*) this doesn't mean that it works this way in Windows.  in Unix/Linux, system time (epoch time) is definitely monotonic.  it is left to the reader to determine how daylight savings time transitions are handled.  it will be useful first to understand that DST is a "user presentation" aspect, and not a system time aspect.  the system time is independent of DST.  

GACK!!!!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939322

The W32Time service uses the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) in Microsoft Windows 2000. The W32Time service uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) in Microsoft Windows Server 2003, in Windows Server 2003 R2, in Windows Server 2008, and in Windows Server 2008 R2.

We do not guarantee and we do not support the accuracy of the W32Time service between nodes on a network. The W32Time service is not a full-featured NTP solution that meets time-sensitive application needs. The W32Time service is primarily designed to do the following:

Make the Kerberos version 5 authentication protocol work.
   Provide loose sync time for client computers.

The W32Time service cannot reliably maintain sync time to the range of 1 to 2 seconds. Such tolerances are outside the design specification of the W32Time service.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one heard my 20m TX at this level with the S9v43 vertical antenna during the day.
Switching back to 30m @ 2240z, but using the 130' fence-top NVIS antenna.  Same 800uW Pout.

No joy on the NVIS antenna for anyone receiving my 800uW Pout TX.  I am receiving fine on all three antennas, though.
Settling in for using the S9v43' vertical on 30m for an extended time period.  Patience...It's like fishing when the fish aren't biting.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Had another nibble at the little piece of bait I cast out...  

WSPR contact on 30m @ 800uW (0.0008 watts) Pout.
0.0008 watts x 1250 = 1W
551.2 miles x 1250 = 689,000 miles / watt.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
aww shit

I'll set mine up for rx only when I go out tonight..... hope to hear you
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
aww shit

I'll set mine up for rx only when I go out tonight..... hope to hear you

Thanks NUCdt04!
Looks like the contact was in your direction from me, in Binghamton, NY.  Now up to (5) contacts in that direction from 2126z to 2300z, so around the grey line or dusk in that area.  Another in Charlottesville, VA.  Earlier in the thread the contact was in Manassas, VA. at almost the same time.  I'm seeing a 30m pattern emerging...
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Getting closer... Concord, MA contact

WSPR contact on 30m @ 800uW (0.0008 watts) Pout.
0.0008 watts x 1250 = 1W
778.0 miles x 1250 = 972,500 miles / watt.  My #2 All Time Highest.    

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
That's pretty impressive there BigDaddy.

I'm not too familiar with that mode but I suspect your success will depend on the receiving location's antenna and noise level.

W8JI has systems that can
hear signals transmitted in the microwatt range at 1000 miles on 160 meters
, and I'm pretty sure he's talking about CW.

http://www.w8ji.com/noise.htm
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks, KwaiChangCaine!  Fun with radios and numbers...  Anyone can do this stuff.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
972,500 miles / watt.

we have this saying at work:

the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time.  the last 10% of the project takes another 90%.

ar-jedi

ps:  
AND NOW, FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT: ...

out of nowhere, A FRESHLY TILED SHOWER!!!

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Those look like ground radials in the bottom of the shower!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was thinking the black and white tiles look like a digital mode.  I'm trying to decode it now...
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

listen, you keep talking about ham radio stuff while my radios (and everything ham-related) are in boxes and i'm going to ... i'm going to ... well ... i'm going to go back to painting walls, trim, and stuff, i guess

shit.  

ar-jedi  
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the black and white tiles look like a digital mode.  I'm trying to decode it now...

I was thinking the same thing, KwaiChangCaine, but you beat me to it!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is a message from my wife to all of you.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#37]
OK...now they're just teasing me.  What are the odds of (2) separate contacts receiving my 800uW TX that are in opposite azimuths at exactly the same distance from my QTH?  WTFO?  

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What are the odds

my plan is working!

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#39]
ETA:  fixed dupe.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

listen, you keep talking about ham radio stuff while my radios (and everything ham-related) are in boxes and i'm going to ... i'm going to ... well ... i'm going to go back to painting walls, trim, and stuff, i guess

shit.  

ar-jedi  

All my radios are boxed up 7500 miles away. I really wish I'd set up my Flex at my parents house before I left!

Now I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those tiny USB radios (Softrock IIRC) so I can at least receive while I'm here. Although the only place I could put up an antenna is inside a metal building... or I could use the (grounded) building as an antenna with the computer and receiver isolated, with a couple of isolated counterpoise wires as the "ground"...
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All my radios are boxed up 7500 miles away. I really wish I'd set up my Flex at my parents house before I left!

Now I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those tiny USB radios (Softrock IIRC) so I can at least receive while I'm here.

Hey Phurba,
Since you have internet access, why not use one of the web SDRs?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those tiny USB radios (Softrock IIRC) so I can at least receive while I'm here.

Hey Phurba,

I do, but it would be cool to receive from here. I'm sure I'd hear things I wouldn't receive in the US. Also I really like listening to shortwave and none of the Web SDRs I've found will go out of the ham bands.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I hear NUCdt04's 0.5w TX on 30m.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
972,500 miles / watt.

we have this saying at work:

the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time.  the last 10% of the project takes another 90%.

ar-jedi

ps:  
AND NOW, FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT: ...

out of nowhere, A FRESHLY TILED SHOWER!!!

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/34108-1/DSCN7566.JPG

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/34219-1/DSCN7595.JPG

I don't envy you at all. I am doing nearly my entire house. Kitchen, dining, living, hallway, bathroom, and most importantly the radio room in tile. About half way done and I am so sick of the tile saw...
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Phurba,

I do, but it would be cool to receive from here. I'm sure I'd hear things I wouldn't receive in the US. Also I really like listening to shortwave and none of the Web SDRs I've found will go out of the ham bands.

I ordered my VR5000 when I was in Iraq - pretty cool to have over there....

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Phurba,

What's that?

Iraq has a ham radio service so it was possible to operate there.. it was technically outlawed here in the 1970s although I heard of one station recently getting on the air. I'm pretty certain that if I attempted to get a station up it would be met with a resounding "Hell no" so I haven't even bothered

However I do occasionally dream of pileups on 40 meters.... and then ragchewing with people to make the DXers irritated.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 3:02:36 AM EDT
[#48]
...AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!  

WSPR contact with W5xxx in LONE TREE, CO on 30m using 800uW (0.0008 W)!
Distance 1004.2 mi (1616.1 km)
0.0008 x 1250 = 1W
1004.2 miles x 1250 = 1,255,250 miles / watt !!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!  

WSPR contact with W5xxx in LONE TREE, CO on 30m using 800uW (0.0008 W)!
Distance 1004.2 mi (1616.1 km)
0.0008 x 1250 = 1W
1004.2 miles x 1250 = 1,255,250 miles / watt !!!

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/WSPR 30m Spot Database 2012-02-28 SUCCESS.jpg

Now you'll have to fight the girls off with a stick
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 4:09:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Phurba,

What's that?

Iraq has a ham radio service so it was possible to operate there.. it was technically outlawed here in the 1970s although I heard of one station recently getting on the air. I'm pretty certain that if I attempted to get a station up it would be met with a resounding "Hell no" so I haven't even bothered

However I do occasionally dream of pileups on 40 meters.... and then ragchewing with people to make the DXers irritated.

DC to daylight receiver

I do know there is a station operating from A'stan - I looked into it when I was planning on going over as a contractor -

take a look here:

bigdaddy - congrats! awesome work
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top