Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2011 1:10:11 PM EDT
Just 'shook hands' on a pre-owned Signalink USB with Kenwood Cables.  Will mail payment tomorrow.  I cruised over to the Tigertronics site and couldn't believe all the different programs associated with the Signalink.

I'm sure everyone has a favorite, and I'd like to know why!  I've no idea about any of this 'data' stuff, so I thought I'd ask....I do have HRD on my desktop, but I've never used (no cat control).

I plan to initially use with my Kenwood TS-50 (no cat control yet) and maybe the TM-231 on 2 meters......

OK-hit me with the news Isn't that a Gorky Park song?)
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a buttload of programs that run multiple digital modes. I use MixW, but there are free prorams out there. I hear FLDGI works for some folks and Digipan too. RMS Express is neat too. You'll just need to find one you like.

http://www.rv3apm.com/

PSK31, MT-63, and Olivia are common modes that work well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have no rig control capabilities then skip HRD.

Download Fldigi. It is one of the simplest but most powerful digital communication programs out there. Work with Fldigi for a while before trying anything more esoteric.

eta: and just jump right in with PSK31 as your first mode. It is very, very easy to work PSK31 stations and it will get you into the swing of things quickly.

google PSK31 for frequencies, etc.

Remember: macros are your friend, especially if you are a two finger typist!
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Signallink rocks.

I'm a big fldigi fan for HF use –– the price is right (free) and it's solid and capable.

Note that for rig control you'll still need a separate interface cable, signallink handles the audio path only.

I use linux, so for 2M packet the only option for that I know of is "soundmodem." I do APRS using that and Xastir.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I started playing with Digipan and PSK31, listening and trying to get a feel for it, Still need to get my antenna up but I was thinking about trying drum up an arfcom PSK31 net once I get it all sorted out. The nice thing about PSK31 is it's easy to interface a computer & sound card, it works when band conditions are crappy, and it's quiet to operate, no issues with the wife & kids & TV in the background, no headphones, wife not asking who you're talking to etc. There are a few demo & how to videos on youtube that help with the setup.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
the SignaLink was sent today.

Paul /

and I have downloaded/installed Fldigi.....I guess it will make sense once I get the Hardware on site? Hope so

QRV
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
While you are waiting put your radio speaker near your computer microphone and start receiving some signals. A headset plugged in and laid on the computer microphone can work well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
DM780, hands down. The *best* digital comms program there is. Supports every mode you've ever heard of plus about 50 more.

Very tight integration with rig control capabilities of Ham Radio Deluxe. I run a Flex-3000 which is controlled by PowerSDR. *Can* by controlled by HRD, but PowerSDR is much better. I still run DM780 for all digital communications.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
DM780 is my pick also.  Running Fldigi is just too DOS like for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I would not worry so much about the CAT control, I use DM780, JT65HF, and RMS Express for the various programs. Most of my logging is done through Ham radio deluxe. The cat control is only handy for logging, and for switching modes in a hurry. Very easy to run without it.

You will have fun on digital, trust me.

I tried Fldigi, and DIGIpan, of those 2 I liked digipan. It was very simple and worked good, but I kept going back to HRD because of the integrated logging system. Fldigi for some reason did not want to work (I tried for about 2 min) then I just gave up, since HRD seemed to work.

If you have not downloaded a copy of HRD do it now and save it, they are going commercial and it will soon cost money.

ETA: one of the other reasons I like HRD is that JT65HF will also do the PTT control trough HRD. It make the setup simple and easy, and since I have the HRD logging program open anyways it makes sense. And with the saved JT65 frequencies it is one click with the mouse to change frequencies.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Which would be better to install at this point in time,  HRD 4 or HRD 5?
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I downloaded both out of caution, but I run 5. The user interface on 5 is a little easier to navigate.

I am not beyond paying for a program, but the person who purchased it seems to have a software that under delivers and is overpriced, so time will tell.

HRD is bloated, and that is the biggest complaint. I would love to a an HRD Lite, with the logger, DM780, get rid of all of the other stuff.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Unit arrived late this afternoon!  all there including the spare Kenwood Cables he promised.  Software, manuals, etc...all mint!

Read instructions 3 times, then opened up-it was already jumped over to match my TS50

Maybe-maybe.....I'll get up there tomorrow and get it started.

Where would I find frequencies and what sort of whatever form of 'packet' they're running on them....

Y'all gonna prolly have to hold my hand on this one

QRV

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Digital Master 780 (bundled with HRD) is great.  I have tried Digipan, fldigi, many of the others, and keep coming back to DM780.  But as stated above, HRD is bloated.

I don't want the logging program, the antenna turner, the satellite tracker, heck, I don't even want HRD.  Why do I need "computer control"?  I just do not get it.   I can turn my own knobs all by myself... the radio is right here in front of me.  

In fact, DM780 is the ONLY thing I like out of the whole HRD thing.  But it is very good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Signalink.  DM780 is a good program since it works so well with HRD but... I still love Digipan for the extremely simple interface and up to 26 lines of decoding.  DRM780 is just too complicated.

Have fun with PSK31!
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
well here i am transmitting but not really doin nuthin? anyone wanna help?

ETA: after giving up and coming back down to the house....I was receiving 'stuff' that looked gibberish on the display....

bad stomach just hit , I'm offline, will try again soon

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
....I was receiving 'stuff' that looked gibberish on the display....

This all sounds very familiar.  Check this out...

Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004 in archived post 3/21/2010 7:02:56 PM EDT:
Rig control aside, I do seem to be hearing and seeing psk31 QSO's. But I'm supposed to be decoding english, correct?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I notice you don't have enough audio coming into DM780. Turn up your Signalink and check your Windoze sound control panel (switch to USB Codec, adjust all sliders to max., return to normal sound device, close control panel). You need at least 20% for optimum operation. Use the jumper inside the Signalink that jacks up the receive audio level if you are already max'd on the front panel and Windoze adjustments.

That must be why the decoded text appears to be nonsense words. Every once in awhile, when a really strong signal came across, the text was readable english.

Thanks for the advice, aa777888-2.

Turned sliders all the way up in Windows and Rx all the way up on Signalink. Still low on audio input. Then made the jumper switch in Signalink and now have enough audio input for good copy. Thanks again aa777888-2.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Digital Master 780 (bundled with HRD) is great.  I have tried Digipan, fldigi, many of the others, and keep coming back to DM780.  But as stated above, HRD is bloated.

I don't want the logging program, the antenna turner, the satellite tracker, heck, I don't even want HRD.  Why do I need "computer control"?  I just do not get it.   I can turn my own knobs all by myself... the radio is right here in front of me.  

In fact, DM780 is the ONLY thing I like out of the whole HRD thing.  But it is very good.

The thing I like about rig control is the ability to save certain frequency's in the program and tune to them with the click of a button. I have memories in my 706 but not that quick to navigate them. Not a necessary item by any means, but I do like it when running digital none the less.

Also in DM780 I can just pull the drop down box, and change the band for any mode I want to run.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]
No rig control yet-have to buy interface for $83-not top of list :)

did find this site:

getting started with PSK31

spending time there now.

list of PSK Freq as listed on above site:

FREQUENCIES
Of course, PSK31 operation is legal anywhere on the bands that narrow bandwidth digital modes are allowed, but you will typically find PSK31 operation to be highly concentrated on the "normal" accepted PSK31 Frequencies:

COMMON PSK31 FREQUENCIES:
160 Meters      1838
80 Meters 3580
40 Meters 7070
30 Meters 10140
20 Meters 14070
17 Meters 18100
15 Meters 21070
12 Meters 24920
10 Meters 28120
6 Meters  50290

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
on the site listed above is a link to a video by K7AGE-link

in it he shows how to listen to and decode PSK31 with a simple microphone (primitive version of the Cuban Cigar AFM as recently posted on).

So, since I have DigiPan installed, I pay extra special attention, then follow the prompts to monitor (as shown) the 20 min segment of PSK31 he's also posted-link

and by-george, it worked...well at least it worked once I chose BPSK31 (not sure what that means).  So no I believe I can go up to the barn (that means lug the Laptop too) and tune to one of the above listed frequencies and get this thing rolling....

For posterity sake (the reason I continue the post here) an Elmer would be a BIG help when it comes to this 'digital' stuff.  Or doing some online searching and learning about PSK31 before you jump off with both feet
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Signalink (and general digital mode) hints/tips:

1. Always leave the "delay" setting on minimum.

2. Turn all built-in radio DSP functions OFF. That means noise blankers, speech compression, noise reduction, all off it OFF!!! This cannot be stressed enough.

3. Set your AGC to slow.

4. All digital mode operations are on USB regardless of band.

5. Make sure you have your receive audio level set high enough to get good, reliable decode. Don't be afraid to twist that knob on the front of the Signalink and see how the performance changes with too much, too little and "just right" audio levels. These settings are mode, band and software dependent, i.e. change any of those things and you need to change the Signalink for optimum performance.

6. To set your transmit drive level properly: set your rig to max power, set the transmit level on the Signalink to get 60% power readings if you have a average power meter or 80% if you have a peak power meter. Don't worry about ALC. If you don't have a power meter (external or in the radio), set it for little to no ALC reading.

7. Watch out for Windows sound control panel level settings getting screwed up. The only way to see what they are for the Signalink is to go into the control panel and select the Signalink as your system sound device, then push all the level controls for recording and playback to maximum. Check this periodically as Windows has an annoying habit of changing them on you for no reason. Then make sure to switch back to your normal computer sound interface as the system sound device.

8. If you are not getting enough audio level in or out see number 7, however you may need to make some internal jumper changes in the Signalink as well.

9. When operating digital modes MACROS are your friend. Even if you want to have a digital rag chew QSO they help immensely with the "xxxx DE yyyy" kind of stuff. Good use of macros makes your digital QSOs smooth and professional.

10. Study up on your prosigns. They are the same as for CW. E.g."K" is over, "KN" is over only to the station being worked, "SK" is out, etc.

11. An hour or so of monitoring PSK (also known as BPSK31) QSOs will show you that most follow a definite, easy to understand patter: CQ, answering the CQ, exchange of signal reports, exchange of name/QTH, maybe an exchange of a station "brag" macro, then 73's and sign off.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. Digital is addicting. No straining to copy a signal through noise. No noise at all if you leave the volume turned down! I hope to "see you on the waterfall" soon!

ETA to fix typo in bullet #8...
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#23]
good post aa-....... thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#24]
K7AGE has a few other videos on transmitter setup and interface setup that informative.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#26]
So how is the PSK-31 going?

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#27]
vuuury slow

Yesterday I had the chance to get to the barn-unhindered-for about 1 hour.  I was setting up and tuning down to 20 when I hear "CQ CQ CQ" on 17.  20 min later I was signing off with a nice gent from England.

Finally made it to 20m and the calling freq.  Got all lined up and could see  plain english text.  Tried to respond to a call of CQ, but not really sure how to know I'm responding back to that particular area that my red-diamond is sitting on....

I'm also aware of my very little knowledge of the prosigns which is as intimidating as jumping into PSK31 right now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
vuuury slow

Yesterday I had the chance to get to the barn-unhindered-for about 1 hour.  I was setting up and tuning down to 20 when I hear "CQ CQ CQ" on 17.  20 min later I was signing off with a nice gent from England.

Finally made it to 20m and the calling freq.  Got all lined up and could see  plain english text.  Tried to respond to a call of CQ, but not really sure how to know I'm responding back to that particular area that my red-diamond is sitting on....

I'm also aware of my very little knowledge of the prosigns which is as intimidating as jumping into PSK31 right now.

Use the macro's, it will help and you will get use to how the QSO will flow. Here is a typical exchange

CQ CQ
X  CQDX  de VY2/VE1CDD VY2/VE1CDD VY2/VE1CDD
PSE K

VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH N6DLH
VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH N6DLH pse kn

N6DLH de VY2/VE1CDD  
Thanks for the call / answer David
Good Morning
My Name is John John John
QTH is Wood Island,PEI .=.. "ood Island,PEI NA-Ø29  NA-Ø29
Locator is FN85px FN85px FN85px
Operating from a RV / caravan at a campground
Your RST is 599 599 599
BTU David
N6DLH De VY2/VE1CDD
KN

VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH
Thanks for the call.. Name here is dave, dave
Report : 599 599
qth    : Hampton VA USA Hampton VA USA
loc    : FM17ta FM17ta

How copy? BTU  VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH pse kn

N6DLH de VY2/VE1CDD  
1ØØ% copy Dave
Nice to meet you! Dave
My station is FT-897D on the Buddipole setup as a vertical 3m (12 ft) in length  
The Laptop is Aspire 892Ø Dual processor 2Ghz  OS: Window 7 (64 bit) 4G RAM
Software is Digital Master 78Ø  o s ta bsild 2893  
BTU Dave
N6DLH De VY2/VE1CDD
KN

VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH

John Goodwin, my station
 Radio    : Icom 7Ø6,
 Power    : 3ØW,
 Imterface:Homebrew
 Software : HRD
 Antenna  : Hamstick

My QSL is OK via eQSL.cc or via LOTW.

BTU VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH k

N6DLH de VY2/VE1CDD  
rrr On the antenna howhave you set up your
-
hamsticks? I used to use a set as a dipole when portable butnow use the buddipole
BTU Dave
N6DLH De VY2/VE1CDD
KN

VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH
I am in an apartment, I have a clamp mount on my 3rd story balcony and use 2 small wires as a counterpoise. works well for 2Øm,
BTU VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH N6DLH

N6DLH de VY2/VE1CDD  
FYI you are the stronges signal in my waterfall so your set is certainly working very strong and clean signal
BTU Dave
N6DLH De VY2/VE1CDD
KN

VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH
Thank you for the report and the info on the signal, it is much appreciated... I will not hold you up from more DX, thanks for the QSO and wish you well john, thanks again and 73's VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH s

N6DLH de VY2/VE1CDD  
rr well hope I see you from the home QTH some d  t
tThanks for the BPSK-31 QSO Dave
My best to you and your loved ones.
Good Dxing ... cu agn ..
QSL info at QRZ.COM or http:\\www.ve1cdd.net (ONLY PAPER +SL)
N6DLH De VY2/VE1CDD
73 Dave
SK  

Most of that exchange was macro's, for the exception of when we were talking about antenna's. Many of the programs will have generic macro's setup once you add your station info in, and these will be sufficient until you get the hang of it, and you will likely want to change them. When you are ready we can always try a PSK-31 QSO.

Here is a quick breakdown

CQ CQ
X  CQDX  de VY2/VE1CDD VY2/VE1CDD VY2/VE1CDD
PSE K

"CQ CQ
X  CQDX  From VY2/VE1CDD VY2/VE1CDD VY2/VE1CDD
Please Respond Over"

VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH N6DLH
VY2/VE1CDD de N6DLH N6DLH pse kn

And of course BTU is Back To You.

"VY2/VE1CDD From N6DLH N6DLH
VY2/VE1CDD From N6DLH N6DLH please respond over"

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Her is the way it will work sometimes also, because of poor or changing conditions.

nm  CQ de G3TDH G3TDH
CQ CQ de G3TDH G3yt H
PSE K

G3TDH de N6DLH N6DLH
G3TDH de N6DLH N6DLH pse kn

6DLH ?  de G3TDH G3TDH pse ago pse agn qrz k

G3TDH de N6DLH N6DLH
G3TDH de N6DLH N6DLH pse kn

de G3TCH G3TDH
Hello David?^ - o ap pleased to meet you on 2Øm I  ~ e I hace call OK
úày 599 599
Name   : Reg Reg
QTH:  Nr. Manchester Nr. Manchester
LOC:  IO83WI [46.6° 5,814.5km] IO83WI
  EPC #8595
eoo BTU om,
N6DLH de G3TDH k

G3TDH de N6DLH
Thanks for the call.. Name here is dave, dave
Report : 599 599
qth    : Hampton VA USA Hampton VA USA
loc    : FM17ta FM17ta

How copy? BTU  G3TDH de N6DLH pse kn

N6DLH de G3T:H G3T rre
All M' Dave, great signal in clear with just a little QuB sht So Dave many thanks for QSO,
I hope to me
e    via eQSL, LOTW, Bureau or Direct, (SWL al )e ew and 7 otl in Hampton VA!
N6DLH &¯3i Dtt k

G3TDH de N6DLH 73 Reg Stevens and thanks for PSK31 QSO on 2Øm.
G3TDH de N6DLH sk

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I have tried Digipan, FLDigi, MixW, and a bunch of others.  I keep coming back to HRD's Digital Master 780.

As much as I dislike all the rest of the bloatware in HRD, I really like DM780.

AFM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top