Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2011 5:49:14 PM EDT
Gander Mountain has the
Standard Horizon HX370S on sale for $109.99 right now and if you use coupon code GMG20 you will get $20 off of orders over $100.

It looks they are throwing in free shipping as well so, with tax, a
Standard Horizon HX370S would cost me $95.39 shipped.
The code expires June 30, 2011 and I don't know how long the radio will be on sale or free shipping will be offered.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=92489&pdesc=Standard_Horizon_HX370S_Handheld_VHF_Radio
Hint: Only order one radio at a time if you are buying more than one. You can apply the coupon code to each order and save $20 per radio.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you program them?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Scroll down this page a bit

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477&page=2

and find the section titled:

using commercial, FCC type-accepted radios

for transmitting on amateur bands

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone point me towards how marine freqs are used by recreational boaters?

We were voluntarily inspected by a Coast Guard Reserve (retiree) a few weeks ago at a lake. One of the things they checked for was a radio or cell phone on board. I just happened to have my wouxun on-board that day and we had cell phones, so we were covered and got our little safety sticker. Now my Dad's talking about getting a radio to keep in the boat.

Other than monitoring 16 and 22 for emergencies and warnings, what else could we legally use it for?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We were voluntarily inspected by a Coast Guard Reserve (retiree) a few weeks ago at a lake. One of the things they checked for was a radio or cell phone on board. I just happened to have my wouxun on-board that day and we had cell phones, so we were covered and got our little safety sticker. Now my Dad's talking about getting a radio to keep in the boat.

Other than monitoring 16 and 22 for emergencies and warnings, what else could we legally use it for?

the guys around here use them to just chit chat about the days catch, where they were catching and what time everyone is headed in. the HX370 can be programmed for amateur band freq's as well as things like MURS. the disadvantage with it is you cant change the freq on the fly like a normal amateur radio. you program in the freq's and once set they can only be changed via computer so you have to pick your freq's carefully. i have a VX-800 that i use for work, amateur, and MURS and it has 200 ch's so i have plenty of room so i also use it as a scanner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Scroll down this page a bit

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477&page=2

and find the section titled:
using commercial, FCC type-accepted radios
for transmitting on amateur bands
Saw the part about the cable but what software is used?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You need CE-68 software.  The easiest place to get it is from here
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/radio.htm

http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/0/55C2AC6DE56618898525735500740A6E
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have to pick your freq's carefully. i have a VX-800 that i use for work, amateur, and MURS and it has 200 ch's so i have plenty of room so i also use it as a scanner.

I've had my FT60 for little over 3 years, and only added freqs once to it, when i went to northern MN for a weekend,  this shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the heads-up and the link, order placed!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Thx for the links. Yeah, this may be a better option for my Dad since, he'd take it on the boat and get it wet. Then I could program some local 2 meter repeaters on some lesser used channels for him, so he could keep abreast of the weather or call for help if he's fishing alone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Heck with it, grabbed one too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I've just started reading up on radios and I've got a couple questions. First, this can be programed for FRS/GMRS frequencies, right? So I could talk with my hunting buddies? But you're limited to 40 programed channels by computer. Compared to the VX 170 that has 200 programmed channels done on the handheld unit? Second, would I get more range than the standard store bought FRS/GMRS radios?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Sweet deal, thanks OP.  I've been loking to pick up one of these to try out just to have something that's (possible incorrect attempt at sounding like I have a clue) part 90 certified.  Just never know when it could come in handy for emcomm work.  Considering the AA battery tray and charging cradle on my VX-7R were 2/3rds the price of this whole radio setup, it's a steal!

Now I just have to hope like hell I read everything else right in being able to use the CE68 software with my existing programming cable.  Otherwise it's off to cable-shopping land as well...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Guess I need to start looking for a cable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sweet deal, thanks OP.  I've been loking to pick up one of these to try out just to have something that's (possible incorrect attempt at sounding like I have a clue) part 90 certified.  Just never know when it could come in handy for emcomm work.  Considering the AA battery tray and charging cradle on my VX-7R were 2/3rds the price of this whole radio setup, it's a steal!

Now I just have to hope like hell I read everything else right in being able to use the CE68 software with my existing programming cable.  Otherwise it's off to cable-shopping land as well...

If it works with your VX7, it will be compatible with the HX370.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]
*cheer*

Very good to know =)

Trying to control myself and NOT run up the credit card with more duplicate orders....
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
W00T!!!

Just pulled the trigger on one. 96 bucks with tax.

Anyone got a copy of the software I can use for a day?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
W00T!!!

Just pulled the trigger on one. 96 bucks with tax.

Anyone got a copy of the software I can use for a day?

see the link referenced above for CE68...free for download if you join the yahoo group...don't forget you need a programming cable too, which is not included with the radio
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Right Click - Save As

CE68_V101.zip

For a limited time only.........
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right Click - Save As

CE68_V101.zip

Thanks, but it is giving me a "Error 404" "cannot connect to server."
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right Click - Save As

CE68_V101.zip

Thanks, but it is giving me a "Error 404" "cannot connect to server."

ETA: It should work now.

CE68_V101.zip
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Works perfect, thanks very much.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
If you email them and ask nice they(Standard Horizon) will email the software to you for free.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
What can i pick up with the 40 programable channels. I need a marine radio and was thinking about this one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
The radio comes pre-programmed with the marine channels or you can program 40 channels with any 2 meter, MURS, marine freq's or any combination of these.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The radio comes pre-programmed with the marine channels OR AND you can program 40 channels with any 2 meter, MURS, marine freq's or any combination of these.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The radio comes pre-programmed with the marine channels OR AND you can program 40 channels with any 2 meter, MURS, marine freq's or any combination of these.

Thanks for clarifying. I downloaded the software and need to order the cable. Come to find out my brother has 2 of these also.

I'm thinking I should be a little clearer with my original question though. I'm getting this for when I'm out in the bay on my boat so that's going to be its main use.

I liked the fact you can program some additional frequencies in to it but I'm not familiar with whats on them. Are they used a lot or is it just dead air?

Thanks  

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I would guess that it depends on where you are.  Where I live, in the middle of nowhere, I have not heard anyone else on a MURS channel yet in about 5 hours of scanning all of them.  I think in an urban area there would likely be much more traffic on them.

I bought my cable off of ebay.  It came with a software driver which converts your usb port to serial port configuration, but the original software did not work, and I had to download one from ?Pacific Drivers?.  I spent several frustrating hours trying to program them until I found out about this online.  

I am new to all this, but if you run into problems, I can try to help.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clarifying. I downloaded the software and need to order the cable. Come to find out my brother has 2 of these also.
I'm thinking I should be a little clearer with my original question though. I'm getting this for when I'm out in the bay on my boat so that's going to be its main use.
I liked the fact you can program some additional frequencies in to it but I'm not familiar with whats on them. Are they used a lot or is it just dead air?
Thanks      

If you are not sure whats on what frequencies I suggest this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604477_Ham_Radio_101.html
Other wise what is being refered to are different band plans...
MURS= multi use radio service.
marine frequences= self explanatory.
2m= is a vhf frequency spread... example: 2m vhf amateur frequencies=144-148. along with public safety and more etc...

A lot of frequencies can be found here... just don't transmit unless your authorized to... oh and to legally do so your equipment has to be type accepted for whatever fcc part regulates whatever frequency your on.
http://www.radioreference.com/
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would guess that it depends on where you are.  Where I live, in the middle of nowhere, I have not heard anyone else on a MURS channel yet in about 5 hours of scanning all of them.  I think in an urban area there would likely be much more traffic on them.

You need a cable to program them.  I bought one off of ebay.  It came with a software driver which converts your usb port to serial port configuration, but the original software did not work, and I had to download one from ?Pacific Drivers?.  I spent several frustrating hours trying to program them until I found out about this online.  

I am new to all this, but if you run into problems, I can try to help.

Good luck.

Any walmarts near by?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[div]Thanks      

Be advised, MURS (5 frequencies, 2 watts) is the only general-use service you can legally use unlicensed.

You will need, at a minimum, an amateur radio technician's permit and callsign to transmit 144-148mhz.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the info everybody. I ordered the cable so I should be good to go. I don't plan on transmitting without a license but maybe this will be the motivation to schedule for my technician license.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well son of a.......

I just learned something new!

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Is it possible to make a cable with Radio Shack bits and cables that might be lying around?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is it possible to make a cable with Radio Shack bits and cables that might be lying around?

Any cable can be made... But they are not that expensive, same cable for the HX370 as the yaesu VX radios I do believe... You should be able to find one in the $25 range or less online.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any cable can be made... But they are not that expensive, same cable for the HX370 as the yaesu VX radios I do believe... You should be able to find one in the $25 range or less online.

Yes, any screw-in yaesu cable will work with the HX370. They can be found at around $9 shipped on ebay.

Again, be sure to get the screw-in cable. The press fit cable will not work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, any screw-in yaesu cable will work with the HX370. They can be found at around $9 shipped on ebay.

Again, be sure to get the screw-in cable. The press fit cable will not work.

Thanks.

Just to be sure, is this what I need?

E-bay cable

It seems this one is just the cable without software

other link
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#40]
That VX-8 cable doesn't look right.
The description doesn't say what other radios it's compatible with.
I know the 370s and VX-7 are compatible.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It is the VX7R cable. I got mine from Kawamall and other than I have to torque the shit out of it to get it to connect it worked great. There seems to be some QC issues with these Chinese cables, imagine that, other member have cables that won't work if screwed in tight.

I was about to give up when I tried it screwed in very tight. I was trying different depths of instalation as suggested in the other HX370 thread when I found the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the VX7R cable. I got mine from Kawamall and other than I have to torque the shit out of it to get it to connect it worked great. There seems to be some QC issues with these Chinese cables, imagine that, other member have cables that won't work if screwed in tight.

I was about to give up when I tried it screwed in very tight. I was trying different depths of instalation as suggested in the other HX370 thread when I found the sweet spot.

When I google VX7R programming cable all I get is the plug-in type of cable, not the screw in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#43]
20 bucks off the HX370s

Use coupon code GEM0825, good through Friday.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Source

Look carefully at the pic there is a section right in front of the insulation that is threaded.

ETA: I like my HX370s, but as it is watertight the mic needs Driven. You need to put a bit of punch in your speech.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Gander Mountain has their discount code for $20 off $100 again but the radio isn't on sell but you can still pick it up for $99 + tax.

Code is GME0825 and good until midnight 08/27.

Code is also good for $50 off $250 if you want to pick up a couple plus some other things.

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://www.kawamall.com/mobile/prod_images_blowup/VX7RUSBCBL_A1a.jpg
Source

Look carefully at the pic there is a section right in front of the insulation that is threaded.

ETA: I like my HX370s, but as it is watertight the mic needs Driven. You need to put a bit of punch in your speech.

All Yaesu submersibles seem to be like that. My solution was to add a non-submersible speaker mic. Audio reports were much better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I recently bought a pair of hx370S radios for use in a SHTF scenario. Living
in New Orleans we see our fair share of communications breakdowns and it
would be nice to add these radios to mine and my gf's b.o.backpack in our
cars. I received the units and also got the programming cable and have
looked through the pdf file and software for programming them but I am at
a loss in terms of actually changing the frequencies to ones that I can
use while not violating the law. I saw your links and info earlier and
also your cheat sheet for frequencies but not sure how I find viable
frequencies for my use here in New Orleans. Maybe i'm just a tad bit
retarded but my brain hurts sometimes from all the frequencies. I'm
looking for a HAM club down here also so that I won't be such a newb.
Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am at a loss in terms of actually changing the frequencies to ones that I can use while not violating the law. I saw your links and info earlier and also your cheat sheet for frequencies but not sure how I find viable frequencies for my use here in New Orleans.

If you do not have a license of any kind, you need to use the MURS frequencies which do not require a license.  There are 5 frequencies, as follows:
The last two are heavily used for common functions like fast food drive though headsets and the like.  Probably a good idea to program all 5, maybe with a couple different squelch codes.  The first three must be used in "narrowband" FM mode.  All are limited to 2 watts TX power, so program the radio for lower power output.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#50]
And this came in the email yesterday.
http://www.aaradio.com/cartfile/misc%20html/Email_Promos/UV3R/UV3R_email.html
$60 for a 2w HT.

Personally I won't be buying one. It's made in China. I have my reasons.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top