Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:33:14 AM EDT
Wouxun KG-UV2D

How is this HT for a newbie first radio?  I just ordered one in the 2m/70cm flavor, going to order a slim jim for it as soon as I get it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wouxun KG-UV2D

How is this HT for a newbie first radio?  I just ordered one in the 2m/70cm flavor, going to order a slim jim for it as soon as I get it.

Good Choice!  well at least I think so..for less than $120 it really has no equal. I really dig mine, and thinking about ordering a 220 version as well.

Search around here for Wouxun for a few threads with some good info and links.

did you order the programming cable?-hope so
Go ahead and order the SlimJim so you'll have it.  You will need an antenna adapter to go to Male SMA into the radio.

I currently have no mobile in the trucks and use the Wouxun there (a small mag 1/4 wave antenna will work nicely) and at home as a Base with the SlimJim.  A shoulder mic is a nice addition.  Microphones made for Kenwood HT radios work with the Wouxun.

It's not the end all/be all...but it will get you talking!
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouxun KG-UV2D

Good Choice!  well at least I think so..for less than $120 it really has no equal. I really dig mine, and thinking about ordering a 220 version as well.

Search around here for Wouxun for a few threads with some good info and links.

did you order the programming cable?-hope so
Go ahead and order the SlimJim so you'll have it.  You will need an antenna adapter to go to Male SMA into the radio.

I currently have no mobile in the trucks and use the Wouxun there (a small mag 1/4 wave antenna will work nicely) and at home as a Base with the SlimJim.  A shoulder mic is a nice addition.  Microphones made for Kenwood HT radios work with the Wouxun.

It's not the end all/be all...but it will get you talking!

Yep, ordered the programming cable as well. Was waiting to order the slim jim until I was sure what adapter I needed....so SMA male to so-239 female is what I need?  I can get the patch cable from 2wayelectronix with the slim jim.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
well, it depends on the end you order for your antenna.  I ordered it with a Male BNC... and use a Female BNC to SMA Male adapter

They are avail at most online retailers.  

photo from the Slim Jim Thread
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it, Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the kv-uvd1 group on yahoo.

The biggest complaint is making the USB connection with the programming cable.

Be patient, it works, you may have to fiddle with it a bit.

The second biggest complaint is folks complaining about other folks complaining so much about the programming cable.

Other than that, I like it. Just keep in mind it's an HT and not a mobile.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wouxun KG-UV2D

Is it possible to receive on 2 channels at once?

As in working on 1 freq, and monitor another freq?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I like mine if you don't need to change frequencies too often. PC programming makes it easy and I carry it with me on trips with the laptop.  IT is a bit quirky, but for the price, I'm pleased.  I wanted another HT, and I bought it in Huntsville ham fest last year.  The price with all accessories I could want was still within the starting price of a name brand.  Someday, I'm going to get a group I know in my town that has them and learn how to program manually.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wouxun KG-UV2D

Yes, according to what I read on the yahoo group.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wouxun KG-UV2D

Yes, same band or other band or the FM Tuner...
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, but it locks up on one until there is a break, then it will swap to the other freq. I've seen it described as "dual watch" rather than "duel receive".
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info, guys.

I bit the bullet and ordered one Sunday night.

8:15 am Monday, I received shipping info from the vendor.

Express Mail - the tracking # says that it will be delivered Thursday.

So far, I'm VERY impressed. Time will tell............

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI,  He sells the SMA to BNC adapter too, didn't see it before.
Link
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]
At less than 9 bucks, the AA cell battery pack is a steal - Gives you the ability to use alkaline or 1.5 volt lithium AA cells, and also works fine with NiMH cells.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Received my radio yesterday, ordered on Sun. night - shipped Mon AM delivered Wed am.

Great packaging, fast delivery, batteries charged GTG

Now I just gotta figure out how to use teh suka !!!!!!!

Very Impressive so far. Of course, talking and listening is important, too....................

It's gonna get a workout this weekend.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Received my radio yesterday, ordered on Sun. night - shipped Mon AM delivered Wed am.

Great packaging, fast delivery, batteries charged GTG

Now I just gotta figure out how to use teh suka !!!!!!!

Very Impressive so far. Of course, talking and listening is important, too....................

It's gonna get a workout this weekend.

Same here, ordered sunday, received wed. Works great! There is software available to unlock the radio to expand freq. range, I installed it last night and can now tx from 136 up to 520 mhz.
Look here
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
A friend of mine told me yesterday that his has battery draw when the power is off.  He said it was a design flaw and not unique to his unit.  For what that's worth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A friend of mine told me yesterday that his has battery draw when the power is off.  He said it was a design flaw and not unique to his unit.  For what that's worth.

I've heard that from one or two other people. I'd send it back under warranty.

I've used mine for 3 days in a row without charging.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine has drain while the unit is off.  I have to remember to slap it on the charger if i haven't used it in a while.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]
If I don't use it for a week or so it will drain the battery.
Charges pretty quickly, though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#21]
After using my radio for a few days, just weekends, I am very happy with it.

Got one of these as well,

It works fine, but has NO sound insulation from the outside world.

Does anybody know of a good, reasonably priced headset with good insulating qualities,

for use in a noisy environment?

I have borrowed a couple, but they have different plug spacing on the connector.

My bad, did not know there was different plug formats in use.

Any and all info appreciated.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Headphone/Mic:  Had that very same conversation on the repeater yesterday...all that had an opinion voted for the Heil brand...

cool to see some new Wouxun Accessories on the web!

I used this yesterday-for the first time-worked well in a bind!

Link
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is that with the battery installed on the radio, or just sitting by itself?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
If you get one of these quick programming guides, you can figure out how to program it pretty easily.  It is time consuming and tedious, but it walks you through it and makes it as painless as it could likely be.  Wouxun.us has free shipping, so it is the best place to get this without paying an extra $5-$10 for shipping.

Here is the same thing from powerwerks, with a picture of it.  However, they wanted about $6 to ship it to me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:05:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wouxun KG-UV2D

Yes, same band or other band or the FM Tuner...

actually NO.  you can monitor 2 but tx/rx on one will mute the secondary channel. this is a dual monitor radio but (not) a true dual radio.

what he said
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I prolly should jump back in here to attest to the almost 'greatness' of this little radio.  I've had a ticket since April, and have used this unit solely as my Mobile, Base, and HT.

When mobile in the truck I use a Mobile Antenna.  I began with a little 14" mag mount that did a commendable job hitting the repeater from the farm (25 miles).  Since then I've replaced it with a true mobile antenna mounted on the front fender of my P/U.  I consistently get excellent signal reports while mobile, even getting into other local 2m repeaters, and have heard local hams comment that they have decided to buy or have bought a Wouxun since hearing mine work so well for such a small investment.  It's even surprised me at times-a very well spent $100.

At home I started with the slim-jim roll up antenna.  I'd hang it out on the eve of the house when I wanted to talk.  I did have some issues getting to the machine during some extremely strong storms a time or two, but that was it.  It's generally worked great for me in this configuration.

Recently I added the Arrow J-pole, mounted on the chimney.  In this manner, I can talk and hear just about anywhere I'd hope or expect to go with a 5 watt HT.  Miraculous some would say?

In all the above situ I utilize the Shoulder/lapel mic as supplied by Wouxun.us .

I have used the unit as a foot-mobile HT very few times, more of a tag along 'scanner' than for Ham Ops.  I've also enjoyed the FM Radio, and the LED flash-light.  I'll likely grab one or 2 more in the near future-farm use, MURS Dakota monitor, and deer hunting this fall.

I know some discourage a newb from jumping on an HT to begin with-pointing them towards a simple 2m base.  While I almost totally agree that is the best idea-don't discount the little Wouxun HT-minimal investment to get on the air, and as I can attest-with the right antenna, a definitive good little talker!

ETC: SC Grammar
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that with the battery installed on the radio, or just sitting by itself?

reports i have seen have been the bat on the radio. i have not had this issue at all with my 1p.

Same here... Mine works great...  I even ordered a second one for a spare.
I have had great luck with cheapham.com
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw on a Wouxun web site that they had new pgm software.

Anyone know anything abt it?

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the wouxun software, but have not used it.  This software is very easy to use, and unlocks the frequencies readily.  I have read online that it is easier to use than the wouxun software.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top