User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Is there a link to a current General practice exam?

View Quote

I used this one:

I also have free ham test apps on my Android phone and my iPad.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Keeping this towards the top. Someone make it sticky!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By eastonj:

Passed my Technician exam on 7/16/14. I'm ready for the General exam now, but work schedules aren't going to sync up with a good test date for another couple of weeks. Probably 9/30.
View Quote

1) your background: Physician

2) how often/much did you study? about 15 hours total. A little here and there on the iPad and Android phone whenever I had downtime.

3) distance traveled to the exam site? 30 miles

4) type of exam site? BYU Law school building

5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? 10 minutes

5b) total time to take the General exam? I took it at the urging of the VE's. I hadn't studied it at all. I got 23/36. So close.

6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 1 month, mostly because of clinic and call schedules.

My two brothers and I took it together (and all passed). 3rd brother already had his Tech. Just gotta get brother number 4 in on the party.

I got interested in getting a ham license because of the cheap Baofeng HT's out there. We do a lot of hiking in remote areas, and FMS/GMRS radios are terrible. Also, I'd like to do some FPV remote control airplane/drone stuff. Finally, we Mormons do like our preps, and ham fits in there very nicely. Our LDS stake (group of several congregations) has a regular radio check, and coordinates with the local cities and towns. A very nice overlap.

Easton

KG7NHG

Ok, it's silly to quote yourself, but I passed my General tonight.

1. Same

2. Same

3. 20 minutes

4. Salt Lake County Rec Center.

5. 10 minutes

6. 2 months since getting Technician.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Is there a link to a current General practice exam?

View Quote

I used the practice exams at QRZ.  There are also free practice test apps available in the play store if you have an android.  For the question pools, the NCVEC is where all the VEC's get their questions from.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: searchin4shacks] [#6]
My wife and I just passed the Technician test today (she was so nervous) and have already started studying for the General.  I wish I had studied for them both as many have suggested.  Anyway, the hunt is on for some equipment to get started, my head is spinning there is so much information out there!!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#7]
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
My wife and I just passed the Technician test today (she was so nervous) and have already started studying for the General.  I wish I had studied for them both as many have suggested.  Anyway, the hunt is on for some equipment to get started, my head is spinning there is so much information out there!!!!
View Quote

congrats, and welcome to the other BRD.

now take my quiz:  

1) your background, if i may ask?
2) how often/much did you study?
3) distance traveled to the exam site?
4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc)
5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)?
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

now take my quiz:  

1) your background, if i may ask?  Engineering / Building Construction
2) how often/much did you study?  An hour or so every other day for 1 or 2 weeks
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 5 miles
4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc)  Ham fest at the convention center
5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)? 10 minutes
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? About a month

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

now take my quiz:  

2) how often/much did you study?  An hour or so every other day for 1 or 2 weeks
4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc)  Ham fest at the convention center
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? About a month

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

Thanks for your contribution to this site, I've been doing a lot of reading............now the real studying begins; equipment, procedures.....etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Can finally post here

1) your background: Navy (GM so a little BE&E)
2) how often/much did you study? Found a .pdf study guide and took practice tests a couple hours each day for a week.
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 15 mi
4) type of exam site? Round Table Pizza, Portland OR
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? 10 minutes
5b) total time to take the General exam? About 15 min, I took it just to see what the questions were like. 19/35 way over my head.
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 1 week
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I made it! now to study for the general...

1) your background, if i may ask? Mechanical/Electrical Drafter

2) how often/much did you study? 4-5 hours recently, studied some for other tests over the years that I never got around to taking

3) distance traveled to the exam site? 1 hour, through the sticks, scenic route

4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc) EOC building of the county adjacent to mine

5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)? 15 minutes

6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? long story made short: 1 month, but I've been really close a couple other times all the way back to when I was 15.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:37:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: searchin4shacks] [#11]

Thanks for your contribution to this site, I've been doing a lot of reading............now the real studying begins; equipment, procedures.....etc.
View All Quotes

now take my quiz:  

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

UPDATE!!:

The wife and I both passed the General last night!!!  I'm proud of her for seeing this through.  Enough testing for a while, now it's time to get everything up and running.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]

UPDATE!!:

The wife and I both passed the General last night!!!  I'm proud of her for seeing this through.  Enough testing for a while, now it's time to get everything up and running.
View Quote

Congrats to the both of you. Now you have the license to spend money!

Don't sweat going for extra, it really only gains you a little more space on the bands, which are not as well used. With general you get 95% of HAM radio space.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dr_Dickie:

Don't sweat going for extra, it really only gains you a little more space on the bands, which are not as well used. With general you get 95% of HAM radio space.

View All Quotes

UPDATE!!:

You've got that right!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

UPDATE!!:

You think it is just the radio, but oh no!

The antenna and transmission line to the antenna (with lightening protection, connectors (OH THE CONNECTORS YOU WILL NEED)), the radio is almost an afterthought.  Once you get everything else in place the radio just plugs in and runs!

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, want to get my licence this winter (after Christmas).

Just want to get setup for emergency comms, not needing a hobby. Here we go

getting about 60% on practice exams with no study. loose it with terms and what band does what.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

View Quote

getting about 60% on practice exams with no study. loose it with terms and what band does what.
Get both the tech and General at the same time.  They will not charge you to take both, and the overlap in questions is great, so it is easy to get both. With general, you get HF.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#18]
What is HF?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]

What is HF?
View Quote
High Frequency.

Everything above 6 meters.  You can talk regionally and around the world.  For emergency comms, I consider it must have, as most UHF/VHF is local, and with electricity out, they will be down.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#20]
What is HF?
View Quote

see first post in tacked "Ham Radio 101" thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604477_Ham_Radio_101.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#21]
High Frequency.
Everything above 6 meters.  You can talk regionally and around the world.  For emergency comms, I consider it must have, as most UHF/VHF is local, and with electricity out, they will be down.

View All Quotes
What is HF?
High Frequency.

coffee?  

with electricity out, UHF/VHF will be down?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Dr_Dicki

Get both the tech and General at the same time.  They will not charge you to take both, and the overlap in questions is great, so it is easy to get both. With general, you get HF.

View Quote
  This is a very good idea. It will only cost you some extra study time. Even if you are not interested in HF at this time you may be in the future, it has happened to many of us.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I know things change, so what is currently the best book to study from, preferably a kindle version.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#24]

coffee?  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes

What is HF?
High Frequency.

coffee?  

ar-jedi

Yeah, well you know what i meant!

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I know things change, so what is currently the best book to study from, preferably a kindle version.
View Quote

I dunno, but here are some links:
2 ARRL

YMMV. I used the ARRL book (and inc CD) for Tech, Used Ham Test Online for General.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Took my Tech and General tests today. If I had not been so busy I would have studied a little more and took the Extra exam also. As it was I got there a couple minutes late due to work and took two tests so I was the last one testing so I didn't want to keep the examiners there for nothing.

Time to go radio shopping I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Congrats wwace!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#28]

now take my quiz:  

6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

View All Quotes

now take my quiz:  

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

1 contractor

2 several hours daily for a week

3 about 10 miles

4 community non profit offices

5 30 minutes for tech & general

6 less then 2 weeks

I scored 90% on both tests combined. If I had some time to refresh my mind in the three days before taking the tests I think I would have hit 95%. I thought abouut the Extra also but had only gone over several chapters of the subject matter. As it was I believe I could have came close to passing if I got snowball questions on the exam. By this I mean ones where the answers could be deduced through math or logic and not actual experience with the question. Both exams I just took were not cheesepuff questions. They had a large amount of questions that I had only seen once or twice in study and wording seemed unique to the exam.

I would like to thank you guys for the motivation to do this, I have been intrigued since my Freshman year Biology class in 1974 where the old guy teaching the class had a Ham setup in his classroom. We never had a chance to see it in action but the equipment was fascinating. Old guy had tons of index cards with his contacts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Constantly getting 90-100% on practice exams for tech class.

Since we are bugged in with the flu being so bad, probably won't be until spring until I go take the test.

Gives me time to practice up for general I guess!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm interested in getting my Tech license, I just ordered one of the Baofang UV-R5 Radios and programming cable/Software on Ebay today. Need some help and direction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jeremyc482:
I'm interested in getting my Tech license, I just ordered one of the Baofang UV-R5 Radios and programming cable/Software on Ebay today. Need some help and direction.
View Quote

1) congrats on getting started!
2) download one of the many Technician Class PDF study guides /or/ obtain a book via the pay-it-forward program.
3) use the guide and the automated practice test websites to learn the material and up your practice exam scores.
4) locate a test location and date.
5) succeed.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
My problem is I have a hard time understanding all the frequency stuff and electrical theory. Any study guides for that dumb down this stuff
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#33]
Thanks for this thread ar-jedi. I'm going Sunday to take the Tech and General tests. I took some practice tests, and passed the Tech on my own, and got through the General with an 82% with help from my buddy on a few questions that I had no clue on (He's an Extra). Prior to taking those, I had studied nothing but Ohm's law.

Thanks to this thread, I have some studying materials.

Wish me luck!

p.s. My buddy shared this page with me on Ohm's law, which made it a LOT easier to remember the formulas: http://www.noard.com/education1.htm

ETA: I passed the Technician test, did not take the General. I'm going to study up some more and take the General at a later date. Tech gives me all I need for now.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Jeremyc482:

My problem is I have a hard time understanding all the frequency stuff and electrical theory. Any study guides for that dumb down this stuff
View Quote
If you going for your Extra, then I can recommend the ARRL study guide--it covers everything with an explanation of why and what for.

For General, just memorize the answers.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been gifted a small handheld radio (UV-5R+) for my birthday.  I know that lots of people use these stricly for emergency purposes.  While that's all well and good, not knowing how to use it for jack shit doesn't do me any good in an emergency situation, so I started some research which led me here.  All that said, looks like I'll be getting a start on the studying for the technician license.  Here's hoping it'll be a quick and painless process!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Recently got my callsign. Just tech for now, but I'm studying for general - hopefully pick that up before the question pool changes.

Advice for anyone trying to get licensed:

Android (maybe iOS as well? Not sure) app "Ham Test Prep." If you take the tests enough, you could literally forgo studying altogether (not suggested).

Find a friend to get licensed/study with. A coworker asked if I might be interested, not knowing I've gone through fits and spurts of studying for a few years. The few concepts I was still struggling to wrap my head around became shockingly simple just by having a conversation with another person about them. Easy 100% on the test.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:52:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#37]
A pair of Uv-B5's are on the way.
Started studying for the tech last week and am already in the 90's on the practice exams.
Pleasantly surprised as technology is not a strong suit.

I don't need help for the exam, but could use a mentor if someone is receptive to an email or IM.

I just want to share the short term goals and make sure I have a solid approach to achieve them.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Keib:
A pair of Uv-B5's are on the way.
Started studying for the tech last week and am already in the 90's on the practice exams.
Pleasantly surprised as technology is not a strong suit.

I don't need help for the exam, but could use a mentor if someone is receptive to an email or IM.

I just want to share the short term goals and make sure I have a solid approach to achieve them.

View Quote

you picked a good little radio!  hit me up if you need to

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:46:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I passed my technician exam today thanks to the help from this group! Now it's time to get a home and mobile setup put together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Passed the tech this morning.
On a whim, I took the general. The examiner thought he was using the wrong answer key.

Background - lawyer;
Study - sporadic reading over the past few weeks. Probably 5-6 hours total.
Travel - I traveled 1 county North, but only because the local examiner was taking his time securing a date;
Red Cross
About a month

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Keib:
Passed the tech this morning.
On a whim, I took the general. The examiner thought he was using the wrong answer key.

Background - lawyer;
Study - sporadic reading over the past few weeks. Probably 5-6 hours total.
Travel - I traveled 1 county North, but only because the local examiner was taking his time securing a date;
Red Cross
About a month

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Happy Anniversary!!

ar-jedi started this thread on Posted: 5/3/2011 6:41:35 PM EDT.
And has been more successful than he could have envisioned.
As one of the new hams I (and Universal Radio/RandL/HRO/...) thank and salute you.
Three cheers

WITH NO REMORSE WHATSOEVER, I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT IT'S BEEN ALL BUT
IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP TRACK OF ALL OF THE ARFCOM'ERS WHO HAVE GOTTEN
LICENSED WITHIN THIS THREAD.  THE TOTAL OF NEW LICENSEES IS EASILY
OVER 200.  THERE ARE ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER OF SUCCESSFUL LICENSE
UPGRADES AS WELL.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=646357&page=8#11023103
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GrinningWolf:
Happy Anniversary!!

As one of the new hams I (and Universal Radio/RandL/HRO/...) thank and salute you.
Three cheers

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrinningWolf:
Happy Anniversary!!

Three cheers

WITH NO REMORSE WHATSOEVER, I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT IT'S BEEN ALL BUT
IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP TRACK OF ALL OF THE ARFCOM'ERS WHO HAVE GOTTEN
LICENSED WITHIN THIS THREAD.  THE TOTAL OF NEW LICENSEES IS EASILY
OVER 200.  THERE ARE ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER OF SUCCESSFUL LICENSE
UPGRADES AS WELL.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=646357&page=8#11023103

now take my quiz:  

ar-jedi

ps

OH WAIT..
.    lol.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#45]

all joking aside, it's really incredible the number of motivated people in this thread, from all walks of life and with different reasons for wanting to get involved in amateur radio.  moreover, i don't take credit for much here; the participants in the amateur radio forum on ARFCOM are truly unique -- the result is very different from every other ham radio forum on the internet, and to me ARFCOM's ham forum is a better environment for learning and discussion than every other ham radio forum on the internet.  i can't put my finger on EXACTLY why that is, but it is what it is and who am i to question *why* it works, so i'll just observe *that* it works!

to new folks: welcome and ALWAYS remember that ORANGE IS THE NEW GREEN.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Okay, time to get off my ass and get serious about getting this done.  Transitioning into a new job and things will only get busier from here.

Flagged the forum into my favorites, and have the other threads opened from the OP, so time to start reading.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By D_J:
Okay, time to get off my ass and get serious about getting this done.  Transitioning into a new job and things will only get busier from here.

Flagged the forum into my favorites, and have the other threads opened from the OP, so time to start reading.
View Quote

Welcome to the sickness!
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I decided to go ahead and give this a try.  I just want to be able to use it for when SHTF.  I have downloaded the most recent question list and got flash cards made.  I Will also be reading through the literature in the forum.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By delicious_bass:
I decided to go ahead and give this a try. I just want to be able to use it for when SHTF. I have downloaded the most recent question list and got flash cards made.  I Will also be reading through the literature in the forum.
View Quote

You will hear this again....

If you aren't using your equipment and skills on some level during normal times, when SHTF you will be lost. I don't want to sound doomy-gloomy, but most of this stuff is a llittle more complex than bubble pack FRS radios. It's not hard, you just don't remember how to do things you need to do. You'll understand when you get through some of the questions.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top