Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mbree475:
passed general, tonight.

Now hunting season opens on IC-7200.

(limit one TWO! )
View Quote

You need one for the shack and one for portable ops.

> says the guy who only owns one Alinco
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats MBree!  

If you do only get one, it'll work better if it's green with handles!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Gonna hunt it down like a trophy buck.   Scout for a while  and when the time is right,PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Gonna hunt it down like a trophy buck.   Scout for a while  and when the time is right,PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!
View Quote

Guided hunt...no charge.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
but..but...but  its not green!

LOL.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]

LOL.
View Quote

Hey, easy there bud, nothing wrong with a flat black transceiver!  They don't always have to be OD green to meet ARFCOM code.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
In all likely hood, the extra cash for a paint job will end up going to a good ant tuner.  

But its nice to dream of a trophy "Buck" , Even if you just harvest a doe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I suppose I am in here. Guy at work talks about ham on and off all the time. Was thinking about it, then came across the UV-B5 thread in GD which seems like it linked to this thread or some thread in ham. Got the study guide for Tech in the 101 post, been testing at 90%+ for tech on the QRZ practice tests. Will probably start reading the General study guide this weekend and start taking the practice tests for it. Planning on taking test for Tech on 3/27, and being 2 weeks away should have time to be prepared for General as well. Really only started studying last weekend. I'm in Dallas, TX.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Chris94L:
I suppose I am in here. Guy at work talks about ham on and off all the time. Was thinking about it, then came across the UV-B5 thread in GD which seems like it linked to this thread or some thread in ham. Got the study guide for Tech in the 101 post, been testing at 90%+ for tech on the QRZ practice tests. Will probably start reading the General study guide this weekend and start taking the practice tests for it. Planning on taking test for Tech on 3/27, and being 2 weeks away should have time to be prepared for General as well. Really only started studying last weekend. I'm in Dallas, TX.
View Quote

Excellent, good luck Sir!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Just passed Tech and General with 100% on each.  Took the Extra for fun and even though I never even looked at the Extra material I still got 25 out of 50 right on it.

1) your background, if i may ask? Business Manager for over 30 years, but I have been a DIY'er in electronics since I was a boy.

2) how often/much did you study?  10-15 hours for the Tech.  I am the kind of guy who doesn't just want to know what time it is.  I want to know how to take apart and put together the watch and how it works too.  So I researched a lot of the Tech questions on line for further information.  About 10 Hours for the general, but over 9 days.  I didn't get to research as much as I wanted on it cause I was running out of time.

3) distance traveled to the exam site?  12 miles one way

4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc) Salvation Army meeting room

5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)?  Tech 15 minutes, General 15 minutes, Extra 30 minutes  I double checked all answers on the Tech and General

6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 3 weeks

Going back on April 19th for the Extra.

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]

JLE
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I passed my Tech last sat! Got my call sign on thurs. The club that was hosting the exam convinced me to try for the General.  I didnt study at all for it. Failed it. But now I know what to expect.

1) your background: Equipment operator/ tree trimmer
2) how often/much did you study? about 6 hours
3) distance traveled to the exam site?  9.5 miles
4) type of exam site? Church
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? 10 minutes
5b) total time to take the General exam? 20 minutes
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? about 4 months
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mispecial:
I passed my Tech last sat! Got my call sign on thurs. The club that was hosting the exam convinced me to try for the General.  I didnt study at all for it. Failed it. But now I know what to expect.

1) your background: Equipment operator/ tree trimmer
3) distance traveled to the exam site?  9.5 miles
4) type of exam site? Church
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? about 4 months
View Quote

Good deal!  I did the same when I took my tech... tried for the general but didn't pass.  I went home studied a little and re-tested about 6 months later and passed no problem.  Haven't been quite as motivated to try again for the extra but maybe some day I will hit the books again!  I only play HF once in a great while so extra for me is not a huge priority.

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I am beginning my foray into ham... Main purpose for now is simply for a safety standpoint. I live in a hurricane zone and would like to develop some basic working knowledge for if/when the big one hits. I have working understanding/ experience in marine radio coms but that is about the extent of my knowledge. I've got to sit down and read through all of the these and other threads, but will be back with questions I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a great thread. Why for isn't it stickified?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MongoCaver:
Just passed Tech and General with 100% on each.  Took the Extra for fun and even though I never even looked at the Extra material I still got 25 out of 50 right on it.

1) your background, if i may ask? Business Manager for over 30 years, but I have been a DIY'er in electronics since I was a boy.
2) how often/much did you study?  10-15 hours for the Tech.  I am the kind of guy who doesn't just want to know what time it is.  I want to know how to take apart and put together the watch and how it works too.  So I researched a lot of the Tech questions on line for further information.  About 10 Hours for the general, but over 9 days.  I didn't get to research as much as I wanted on it cause I was running out of time.
4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc) Salvation Army meeting room
5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)?  Tech 15 minutes, General 15 minutes, Extra 30 minutes  I double checked all answers on the Tech and General
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 3 weeks

View Quote

i these posts!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris94L] [#17]
Well as promised earlier in this thread I went in for testing tonight. Passed Technician with a 33/35, didn't try for General as I didn't study as much for it as I had planned on. Picked up a Baofeng UV-B5 a week or so ago and have been listening some here and there. Planning on still studying and eventually going for General and Extra.

what is your technical background, if any, if i may ask?  AutoBody Tech. Always been into tinkering with computers, electronics, and cars though.
how long did it take from the time you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your license assigned?  I guess about 3 weeks from when I started studying to passing. Could have taken test sooner but this testing location was the closest.
how many hours would you say you spent reviewing material and taking practice exams?  Read through the Technician Study Guide PDF and then took a few tests a day for a week or two.
how long did you spend in the actual exam session?  About an hour and a half, Got there a bit early though, paperwork took the longest time.
at any time were you subject any weird cult-like rituals which caused you to blade at 45 degrees?  Nothing pertaining to the test, but we did have an amberlamps show up I guess something happened to one of the guy's daughter that came in, not sure what exactly though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chris94L:
Well as promised earlier in this thread I went in for testing tonight. Passed Technician with a 33/35, didn't try for General as I didn't study as much for it as I had planned on. Picked up a Baofeng UV-B5 a week or so ago and have been listening some here and there. Planning on still studying and eventually going for General and Extra.

what is your technical background, if any, if i may ask?  AutoBody Tech. Always been into tinkering with computers, electronics, and cars though.
how long did it take from the time you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your license assigned?  I guess about 3 weeks from when I started studying to passing. Could have taken test sooner but this testing location was the closest.
how many hours would you say you spent reviewing material and taking practice exams?  Read through the Technician Study Guide PDF and then took a few tests a day for a week or two.
how long did you spend in the actual exam session?  About an hour and a half, Got there a bit early though, paperwork took the longest time.
at any time were you subject any weird cult-like rituals which caused you to blade at 45 degrees?  Nothing pertaining to the test, but we did have an amberlamps show up I guess something happened to one of the guy's daughter that came in, not sure what exactly though.
View Quote

Congrats!  

Hope whatever the Amber thing was turned out okay too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in. Hoping to take Tech and General Exams on 4/12. Was going to test tomorrow but local club isn't having an exam session this month. I'll have to drive further on 4/12 but don't want to wait until May to test.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
To MongoCaver, mispecial, Chris94L, a big congrats!

Natron, best of luck and 73 to you!

So much success here!  

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Hey, easy there bud, nothing wrong with a flat black transceiver!  They don't always have to be OD green to meet ARFCOM code.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

LOL.

Maybe not green, but if it is an IC-7200 you need the tactical handles / brush guards to have Arfcom's approval.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Tacticool handles are a must,  Wouldn't want to risk my team membership here by not having those!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in! Took some practice test to quiz my knowledge on the technician exam and I nailed half of the questions just using my background knowledge. Now I'm studying to take the technician and general exam in the near future!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Passed Tech and General yesterday. I got 100% on Tech and missed 2 on General.

what is your technical background, if any, if i may ask? Civil Engineer, have used cb in the past
how long did it take from the time you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your license assigned? 12 days
how many hours would you say you spent reviewing material and taking practice exams? probably about 40 hours
how long did you spend in the actual exam session? almost 3 hours but only about 15 minutes taking exams. There was a large group and they gave everyone the club pitch and walked everyone through filling everything out. For seom reason, I was next to last to get my results even though I finished testing in the middle of the pack

at any time were you subject any weird cult-like rituals which caused you to blade at 45 degrees? No. But I did feel like I needed a strong dose of Geritol when I left due to the average age of the club members

I hope to see my name in the database this week and will follow up with my call sign.
Thank you to ar-jedi and the other "elmers" here for the help and encouragement. Had it not been for the threads on here, I would not have tried for General.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By natron:
Passed Tech and General yesterday. I got 100% on Tech and missed 2 on General.

what is your technical background, if any, if i may ask? Civil Engineer, have used cb in the past
how long did it take from the time you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your license assigned? 12 days
how many hours would you say you spent reviewing material and taking practice exams? probably about 40 hours
how long did you spend in the actual exam session? almost 3 hours but only about 15 minutes taking exams. There was a large group and they gave everyone the club pitch and walked everyone through filling everything out. For seom reason, I was next to last to get my results even though I finished testing in the middle of the pack

at any time were you subject any weird cult-like rituals which caused you to blade at 45 degrees? No. But I did feel like I needed a strong dose of Geritol when I left due to the average age of the club members

I hope to see my name in the database this week and will follow up with my call sign.
Thank you to ar-jedi and the other "elmers" here for the help and encouragement. Had it not been for the threads on here, I would not have tried for General.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbree475] [#26]
congrats  

(edit)  First on page 40
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dogman83] [#27]
Passed my Tech 2 weeks ago and shooting for general at next test session which is mid may.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Wife and I got hit by a drunk driver on March 28 which resulted in her having to stay in the hospital for a few weeks.  Surfing GD while sitting with her and found the "Got 45 Bucks?" thread on April 10 and started reading. Transitioned to "Can't fail" and the related threads and started studying for tech on April 11.  Passed tech on April 12 and tried for general at the urging of the club administering the test but on got 13 correct.  Studying now for general as HF/EMCOMM/Long Range is my main area of interest.  

1) your background: LEO
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 2 miles
4) type of exam site? Hospital (not same one wife was in)
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? +/- 36 hours
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SurvivingAZ] [#29]

I'm in!! Took my test this morning at 0800 and passed just fine!

1) your background, if i may ask?

LEO-ish, S&R, took a basic electronic class in High School.

2) how often/much did you study?

One week, twenty minutes or so a day.

3) distance traveled to the exam site?

Four miles round trip.

4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc)

Farmers Market, outside.

5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)?

About 5  (tech)

6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

One week.

Really wished I would have studied for the general also. But I didn't even glance at it. I used the iphone app "ham tech"

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:
i http://www.hancockwildlife.org/smiley/smiley/heartbeating.gif these posts!

ar-jedi

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Originally Posted By MongoCaver:

i http://www.hancockwildlife.org/smiley/smiley/heartbeating.gif these posts!

ar-jedi

Took the Extra today, like I said above.  Same place as last time.  Looks like it is was a Hat Trick, got 100% again...

I have been studying about 5 hours a week for the last month, so about 20 hours total.  The Extra is a lot tougher than the other two.  Lots of vary hard math in it, it is best just to remember the answers to those questions instead of trying to do the math again.  You can always look up the proper formula later if you need it...

Thanks for the information and idea to take the tests guys.  I enjoyed the challenge.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I blame this thread for having passed the tech exam today :)
BS in computer science, which included a few low level EE classes so circuit diagrams were old hat
Took a bunch of tech practice tests off qrz.com over three days until I'd answered all the questions correctly at least once.  Then just took a practice test once every couple days until the next nearby testing location day came a few weeks later.
15 miles round trip.
Salvation army meeting location
~5 minutes actual test time (tech only), but there were ~20 people testing so took ~90 minutes
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?
3 weeks, mostly spent waiting for the test date.

If I get hooked I definitely see the value in having an actual study book for the next two levels.  There's a lot of depth that isn't covered by just memorizing the test answers, P=IV, V=IR, and 300=Mfreq*wavelength.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Congrats to all you guys!

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#33]
1) your background: construction

2) how often/much did you study? about 30 minutes every day for a month

3) distance traveled to the exam site? 4 miles

4) type of exam site? Hospital

5b) total time to take the General exam?

6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? about a month

I got my call sign 7 days after taking the test.  Only missed one.  The baofeng threads and how cheap they are helped me decide to do it.  And getting pointed in the right direction for studying from you guys.  Thanks for the new addiction.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#34]

folks, congrats on your licenses/upgrades!  and thanks for continued attention to my little quiz.  

as i wrote a long time ago,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/646491_the_CAN_T_FAIL_thread_for_getting_a_ham_radio_license_and_learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations.html&page=9#i11042593

guys –– thanks for the info above.

these questions are designed to dispel some preconceived notions that non-amateur readers of this thread may have regarding ham radio in general, and also specifically regarding the logistics for licensing.

if i read one more time over in ARFCOM SF something along the lines of "i'm not a 'techie' so i can't get a ham license, plus it seems like a pain in the butt to have to find someplace to take a test!" my head is going to explode. well not really, but you get the idea.

as we have seen from the responses to my impromptu questionnaire, folks from all walks of life are getting licensed with minimal outlay of time and at a minimum distance from their homes. we have seen RN's, dispatchers, network admins, biologists, tradesmen, and others go from from "interested" to "licensed" in less than a month, with no more than 20 hours invested and a total round trip commute to the test location averaging about 15 miles.

good stuff!
View Quote

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#35]
HAT TRICK.  Passed all three.

1) your background: Navy Nuke.
2) how often/much did you study? about 1 hour/day
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 25 miles
4) type of exam site? Library  
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? 15 mins
5c) total time to take the Amateur Extra exam? 30 minutes
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?:  Early March to May 3rd.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I plan on taking the Tech. on Sat. and I should have no problem since I'm scoring in the 90's consistently on the practice exams. I want to try Gen. as well but only have two nights to study before the test.  If successful I will have done this all in about 4 days. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I used your 101 thread to study for the tech and general test, I passed both on Tuesday. Thanks for putting this information in one easy to find place!

1) Your background: Navy AE / Flight Engineer, Power Engineer, Diesel / Generator Mechanic
2) How often/much did you study? About 4 hours every day for a week
3) Distance traveled to the exam site? 20 miles
4) Type of exam site? Police Station
5) Total time it took you to complete Tech exam? 10 minutes
5b) Total time to take the General exam? 15 minutes
6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 2 weeks
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't think I've joined this party yet, so here is my info...

1) your background, if i may ask?  Software developer (no electronic engineering training)
2) how often/much did you study? Every day during my lunch hour, watched/listened to The Ham Wisperer for about 2 months(Tech + General), used iPhone apps to review and take practice tests each morning.
3) distance traveled to the exam site? < 5 miles
4) type of exam site? Library
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam?  <10 min
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? about 2 months due to testing schedule

Thank you ar-jedi for starting this "movement".  Without it I probably would never have put in the effort to get my licenses.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Passed Tech and General today!

1) Your background: LEO
2) How often/much did you study? About 4 days
3) Distance traveled to the exam site? 11.5 miles
4) Type of exam site? Library
5b) Total time to take the General exam? 10 minutes
6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 4 days
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:

Passed Tech and General today!

1) Your background: LEO

2) How often/much did you study? About 4 days

3) Distance traveled to the exam site? 11.5 miles

4) Type of exam site? Library

6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 4 days
View Quote
Great job!!

Congrats to all, and hope to meet you on the air!

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#41]
1) Your background: USMC 6017 turned software engineer
2) How often/much did you study? Took the practice test on eham.net about 10 times.
4) Type of exam site? Parks & Recs "Adult Activities Center"
5b) Total time to take the General exam? Was too late to test for it.
6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? About 2 months. Been ready to test for a while but scheduling just never worked.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Got my Tech on Saturday. I got talked in to taking the General cold with out ever looking at the material by the VE and missed it by two questions.

1) your background: Telecom employee with electronics background
2) how often/much did you study? About 30 minutes a day off and on for a month.
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 30 miles.
4) type of exam site? Emergency Management facility.
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? Less than 10 minutes.
5b) total time to take the General exam? About 15 minutes.
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? One month.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#43]
One more new ticket logging in.  Passed both Tech and General today, and got a 50% with no studying on the Extra.  As I see is customary, the answers to the questions:

1) Your background: Computer programmer (Comp Sci major)
2) How often/much did you study? About 4-5 days (total for both)
3) Distance traveled to the exam site? 5 miles
4) Type of exam site? Police Station
6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 2 weeks

Has anyone mentioned, they hate waiting for their call sign to post.  I want to TX damnit! ;)
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JofoShootin:
1) Your background: USMC 6017 turned software engineer
2) How often/much did you study? Took the practice test on eham.net about 10 times.
4) Type of exam site? Parks & Recs "Adult Activities Center"
5b) Total time to take the General exam? Was too late to test for it.
6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? About 2 months. Been ready to test for a while but scheduling just never worked.
View Quote

Just upgraded to General today. Used a free iphone app to study about 4 hours since taking the tech. Scored 33 out of 35.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanL] [#45]
Bump for a good thread.
Passed tech and general today at a field day exercise.

Structural steel designer, draftsman, tape measure holder

About 3 weeks total. Hame Radio Test online totaled my study and practice exam time at 22 hours

30 miles one way, if it hadn't been field day about 5 miles

Community recreation center

10 minutes of taking and grading, lot more BS time

3-1/2 weeks

I was the only test taker. There were approximately 15ish people sitting up gear for field day while I took my exam. Came home afterward and studied Extra for about 2 hours, maybe next month or the next.

Edit, passed extra. Almost 1 month to the day I passed tech and general. So right at 2 months from starting to study to having extra.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I passed my tech license test yesterday.

1) your background: IT Technician
2) how often/much did you study? about 8 hours total
3) distance traveled to the exam site? Next door to office  
4) type of exam site? Private corp employee center (where local ham club meets)
5b) total time to take the General exam? Not yet…
6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 4 days
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yammerschooner] [#47]
Passed Tech and General about 40 minutes ago.  My wife went also and passed her tech.

1) Your background: me- education /her- programming
2) How often/much did you study? me- 10 hours or so /her- 6 hours or so
3) Distance traveled to the exam site? 12 miles
4) Type of exam site? Private business
5) Total time it took you to complete Tech exam? me - 15 minutes / her - 20 minutes
5b) Total time to take the General exam? 20 minutes
6) Total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? @ 2 weeks, mainly spent waiting for wife to take time to study and the next upcoming exam date.

It sounds like we will have consecutive call signs, which is kind of neat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Gotta love that harmonic licensing.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Passed my Technician exam on 7/16/14. I'm ready for the General exam now, but work schedules aren't going to sync up with a good test date for another couple of weeks. Probably 9/30.

1) your background: Physician

2) how often/much did you study? about 15 hours total. A little here and there on the iPad and Android phone whenever I had downtime.

3) distance traveled to the exam site? 30 miles

4) type of exam site? BYU Law school building

5b) total time to take the General exam? I took it at the urging of the VE's. I hadn't studied it at all. I got 23/36. So close.

6) total duration from when you said "I'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 1 month, mostly because of clinic and call schedules.

My two brothers and I took it together (and all passed). 3rd brother already had his Tech. Just gotta get brother number 4 in on the party.

I got interested in getting a ham license because of the cheap Baofeng HT's out there. We do a lot of hiking in remote areas, and FMS/GMRS radios are terrible. Also, I'd like to do some FPV remote control airplane/drone stuff. Finally, we Mormons do like our preps, and ham fits in there very nicely. Our LDS stake (group of several congregations) has a regular radio check, and coordinates with the local cities and towns. A very nice overlap.

Easton

KG7NHG

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:02:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: verticalgain] [#50]
Got my Tech and General on 9/3/14.  Started another thread back then, came here to answer AR-Jedi's questions.

I was an Artillery battery mechanic, and spent a lot of my free time doing the commo guy's job so he could rack out for some sleep.  He also would do what he could to fix things on the guns and trucks when it was my turn to sleep.

I read the ARRL tech and general paperbacks once, then took the practice tests until I'd seen every question in the pool at least 3 times.

Three hour drive.  There were closer places at later dates.  They were also at like 9am.  F that.  I work nights, took my test at 5:30pm.

Senior center, a very large hall with chairs for waiting.  The testing was done in a side room with tables and chairs. 3-4 guys were handling paperwork and running the testing materials around, there were 5 people sitting at a table perpendicular to the testing area watching us take the tests.  This was a little nerve wracking.  They didn't move or speak until the testing was over, at which point they all smiled and congratulated me.  

About 15 minutes of actual test taking for each of the two tests.  Plus around 5 minutes sign in time and 20 minutes of various grading/paperwork/explanation time.  All together it was 50 minutes from walking in the door to leaving.

Around 30 days.  They were encouraging me to try for extra because I did so well but math is my weakest suit and I hadn't taken the practice tests enough to rely on memory so I had to decline.  I will be going back for it though, and am currently studying for it.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top