Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 68
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
ALKVA  I thougt you were AL from Virginia but your call sign comes up david from TN?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I could hear net control as he was closing the net, but could not raise anyone...Can hear some conversation now, but there is a lot of noise....I better throw some fertilizer on the tree so that my antenna will grow...maybe next week.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I could hear net control as he was closing the net, but could not raise anyone...Can hear some conversation now, but there is a lot of noise....I better throw some fertilizer on the tree so that my antenna will grow...maybe next week.

Cheers

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe we should add an 80M digital net to follow at 2230 Eastern time?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I may not make in next week.  may not be home from the radio club meeting in time.   Someone else want to pick it up?
We can spread net control around so it gives different areas of the country a chance.
Someone just offer to take it next week.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe we should add an 80M digital net to follow at 2230 Eastern time?

I organized this one.  someone set up a digital net.  There are enough different modes and frequencies that there is a lot to try.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I may not make in next week.  may not be home from the radio club meeting in time.   Someone else want to pick it up?
We can spread net control around so it gives different areas of the country a chance.
Someone just offer to take it next week.

I will take the net next week, same time same station!
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Im not sure how a digital net would work?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's round robin, same as voice. Just a lot more typing

I'll think about organizing it next week. Got to think about what mode a bit...
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good!
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be great to have some postings on how to set up digital.   I am just getting the SSB to work half way decent based on what I learned on arfcom and would like to expand into digital.  What do I need to buy and how do I set it up?

Many thanks !
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's round robin, same as voice. Just a lot more typing

I'll think about organizing it next week. Got to think about what mode a bit...

I've been on Olivia nets, they work great as it does not take a lot of power to get through.. They are alsogood for us slow typers
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
haha, I know I can at least listen to that freq range, I've done it before.  I may as well put on some pants and get my antenna up.

You know, Bill, that radio works indoors, too.  It's a lot more comfy inside in your underwear than outside in 40*F freezing your nurples off!  

Like an idiot I didn't think about coax and had to buy 25 feet at radioshack because I blew my trip to AES already.  I have to sit like 30 feet in the middle of my backyard

I am going to get some longer coax next weekend I think.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been monitoring 3.898.0 since the end of the net and there are a few people talking about how our net "isn't going to work". They have several people that come in out out on there from around 6pm till after midnight. We may run into problems...just thought I would let you all know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I was able to listen, but my antenna was not going to work, imagine my surprise a 40 meter antenna not working on 80.  I heard net control and all the first check ins.  Then I switched between 40 and 80.

I am gonna try and get some 80 meter antenna figured out, sounded like a good net.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
haha, I know I can at least listen to that freq range, I've done it before.  I may as well put on some pants and get my antenna up.

You know, Bill, that radio works indoors, too.  It's a lot more comfy inside in your underwear than outside in 40*F freezing your nurples off!  

Like an idiot I didn't think about coax and had to buy 25 feet at radioshack because I blew my trip to AES already.  I have to sit like 30 feet in the middle of my backyard

Ha!  I'm just giving you a hard time!    I need to put up a better antenna for 80m so I can use my new 7200.  Researched all day at work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  I'm just giving you a hard time!    I need to put up a better antenna for 80m so I can use my new 7200.  Researched all day at work.

I spent the early evening looking about, I think I am going to have to buy a tuner and get something like a g5rv.  I just cannot figure out how to shove 136 feet of wire into my 1/4 acre lot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been monitoring 3.898.0 since the end of the net and there are a few people talking about how our net "isn't going to work". They have several people that come in out out on there from around 6pm till after midnight. We may run into problems...just thought I would let you all know.

Maybe they'd give us some problems if we were Needle Point lovers, but AR15 enthusiasts?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they'd give us some problems if we were Needle Point lovers, but AR15 enthusiasts?

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This may sound dumb, but is a 40 meter dipole workable on 80 meters without a tuner?  a half-wave dipole would be a quarter wave on 80 right?  Or am I totally off base?

No, it's not workable.  

A halfwave dipole IS a quarter wave with a quarter wave counterpoise.

It just won't tune, even with a tuner.  Or if it does, it puts a lot of load on the tuner.

Or at least that's been my experience trying to tune an 80 m dipole on 160 meters.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Give it time, and keep trying.

When's the next net night?  I'll "put some fire in the wire" if need be.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Same time next week.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Fudge! I was working on some 9913 I'm going to (hopefully) be running in the attic tomorrow and just looked at the time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ALKVA  I thougt you were AL from Virginia but your call sign comes up david from TN?

OOps had 1 too many A's in your call sign. Now I GOT IT RIGHT

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just cannot figure out how to shove 136 feet of wire into my 1/4 acre lot.

Just stretch out as much of the 136 feet as you can.  If you have 10-20 feet on each end that won't fit, bend them one way or the other, or even down.  As for the tuner you should get one anyway.  A halfway decent manual tuner is a relatively inexpensive piece of gear that can improve the adaptability/flexibility of your station tremendously and it will last darn near forever.  The MFJ 941E is very popular.  It is not the best tuner you can buy but in one box you get a tuner that'll get you a decent match to darn near anything, a cross needle SWR meter, a 3 pos. coax switch plus a balanced line output that'll do in a pinch.  Sort of like a Swiss Army Knife.

Regarding the G5RV, I'll just say there are options and let someone else address them in more detail.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#26]
A 6 meter thru 80 meter G5RV is only 102 ft.  long  and only $53. for a high quality antenna with a lifetime replacement guarantee

check out.... http://www.antennasmore.com/g5rv.htm                

I have two (a102 ft and a 204ft)and the are indestructible
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]

I'll start a thread on setting up for digital comms in the next day or two. I got busy doing some consulting work this evening and missed the net. Sorry.

You guys will really dig digital. You can get through the noise and send/recieve even when you can't hardly hear the other station's signal. MT-63 and Olivia do really well through the noise. They work much better than psk31.

Come SHTF digital also goes covert pretty easily.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

km,

Are you located in xxxxxn, IN, your address starts with 2, and your email address ends with 7?

I'm in indiana but my address doesn't start with 2 and my email doesn't have a 7 in it

I thought I was able to copy your call, but I guess not.  Any 9 station check in with a 2x3 that ends with PS?

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll start a thread on setting up for digital comms in the next day or two. I got busy doing some consulting work this evening and missed the net. Sorry.

You guys will really dig digital. You can get through the noise and send/recieve even when you can't hardly hear the other station's signal. MT-63 and Olivia do really well through the noise. They work much better than psk31.

That would be fantastic!

Cheers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
km,

Are you located in xxxxxn, IN, your address starts with 2, and your email address ends with 7?

I'm in indiana but my address doesn't start with 2 and my email doesn't have a 7 in it

I thought I was able to copy your call, but I guess not.  Any 9 station check in with a 2x3 that ends with PS?

you probably heard xx9PFx   he did pretty good with his 5 watts.    I know my antenna doesn't do bad,   but it is definitely directional E-W.  South is my weakest direction.
the New Carolina Windom is strung with the long end to the north at 60 ft  the south end is in a blue spruce tree at 25 ft.
the antenna is slightly NW-SE with the house about straight south of the balun and vertical radiator.  House has a steel roof and is about 25 ft high.  That about totally blocks the vertical portion of the antenna to the south.
I loaned my lift out so it wasn't here when I installed the antenna.   Since it is home I want to move the south end up to about 40 ft so the antenna is in the clear above the roof of the house.
In the 2 1/2 weeks that this antenna has been up I am very pleased with it but there is always room for improvement.  Do I need to hook up the TS-430S/SB-200 and run 600 watts for the net?
That rig is stored for now.  not enough room on the desk.  Also need to run a new AC line here to drive the amp before using that rig.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#31]
The weak area of my antenna goes over Indianapolis, Nashville and on down into AL around Birmingham.  If you are in that area I will have trouble with your signal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The weak area of my antenna goes over Indianapolis, Nashville and on down into AL around Birmingham.  If you are in that area I will have trouble with your signal.

KM, I had a really good copy on you the whole time, on the far east side of Indy.  ( xx9PFx )  
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

KM, I had a really good copy on you the whole time, on the far east side of Indy.  

We are close,   I had a fair copy on you.  Your 5 watts isn't doing bad.  I only had a S3 noise level when we started.  At times it jumped to S9 (manmade)  I think some of that was intentional.  You were about S9 so depending on the noise the copy could be good or bad.  The problem I had was a few of the stations checking in were very slightly off of my frequency and I had switched to a very narrow SSB filter and DSP to cut out the manmade noise.   IF they were even slightly off frequency I couldn't copy them.  Often they were done transmitting before I tuned them with the RIT.  The 1.7 khz filter was doing it's job.  I wish I could have used a wide filter for net control.  That is one problem with an antenna that hears good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yep, I love digital modes, Contestia, DominoEx, Feld Hell, MFSK-16, Throb and Thor are others that I have tried. JT-65 is probably my favorite for working through a lot of noise, I have worked stations not only sub audible but also nearly invisible on the waterfall.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#35]
So who could copy me (KB1xxx) besides KA9xxx?
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Faintly. KC9XXX, in WI. I heard you read back your screen name. Well.. I heard you mention AA, and a bunch of 7's and 8's.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I heard you in Fort Lauderdale , but no one could hear me

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might have been close enough to  be the only who had a chance of copy'g me.....   ended  "Alpha Mike Alpha"   ??  

Pretty sure I heard you...

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might have been close enough to  be the only who had a chance of copy'g me.....   ended  "Alpha Mike Alpha"   ??  

Pretty sure I heard you...

Yes, I heard you down in the noise.   My call is KJ4xxx
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I heard you in Indy.  Lot of static, but readable.  ( xx9PFx )
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I heard you in Milwaukee WI pretty clearly.  However, you were pretty quiet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I spent the early evening looking about, I think I am going to have to buy a tuner and get something like a g5rv.  I just cannot figure out how to shove 136 feet of wire into my 1/4 acre lot.

Go to http://www.hamuniverse.com/ae5jufielddayantenna.html

That antenna, with a tuner, will work 75 m, 40 m, 20 m, 17 m, 15 m, and 10 m.

Without tuner, it will work the upper end of 75 m, all of 40 and 20 meters.

17, 15, and 10 meters are in the 3-3.5:1 SWR range, and a tuner easily handles it with almost no loss.

You an also just copy the 75 m portion for a separate antenna.

It works.  Field Day we used two, one on 20 and 15 m, the other on 40 m.  I worked, from the LA gulf coast, NC, SC, FL, GA, AL, MS, all over TX, AR, OH, TN, and more.

But I was also able to work all over my state, stations as close as 60 miles, so the NVIS capability is there.

The other operator worked NY on 15 m, and San Diego, CA on 20 m, and generally, all over the USA.

AFM

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Tuesday's @ 21:30 EST on 3.898?  I'd like to join in next week if y'all don't mind...

-Slice

xx9x

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Ugh another reason to hurry up and get my HF rig
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the signal reports, gentlemen. Yeah, I was quiet at the beginning because I forgot to turn on my speech compressor. Turned it on for my last TX. Conditions seem so fade a bit at the end, too, except for net control who was always booming at my location.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for the signal reports, gentlemen. Yeah, I was quiet at the beginning because I forgot to turn on my speech compressor. Turned it on for my last TX. Conditions seem so fade a bit at the end, too, except for net control who was always booming at my location.

you calling me a loud mouth?      Well,  whatever you are calling me I guess my IC-7000 and New Carolina Windom are working.  I'm not saying it is the best antenna ever,   but it fit the space I had available about the best of any.
I also have a multiband fan dipole here for 80,40 and 15 but couldn't hang it very well.   G5RV  same problem.  Even though I have over 300 acres, trees, a metal roof and a 3 phase power line in front of the house still make it challenging to put up antennas with a reasonable feedline length. If I used 200 to 300 ft of feedline I could have some great antennas but may lose any gain in feedline loss.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#47]
No, not a loudmouth Good taste in equipment––I'm running an IC7000 and a Cobra Ultralite so very similar!
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you calling me a loud mouth? Well, whatever you are calling me I guess my IC-7000 and New Carolina Windom are working. I'm not saying it is the best antenna ever, but it fit the space I had available about the best of any.

I also have a multiband fan dipole here for 80,40 and 15 but couldn't hang it very well. G5RV same problem. Even though I have over 300 acres, trees, a metal roof and a 3 phase power line in front of the house still make it challenging to put up antennas with a reasonable feedline length.If I used 200 to 300 ft of feedline I could have some great antennas but may lose any gain in feedline loss.

Good Lord....I can only wish I had 300 acres!! If I did....I'd have a 160 meter sKywire loop antenna up. Loop antennas rock!!

There isn't much feed line loss with true ladded line.....just a thought... At 300' of length & 100 watts out, generic 600 ohm ladder line only has 0.108db loss (2.5 watts).
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have been monitoring 3.898.0 since the end of the net and there are a few people talking about how our net "isn't going to work". They have several people that come in out out on there from around 6pm till after midnight. We may run into problems...just thought I would let you all know.[/quote]

If they create a problem for us using 3.898 we wil just go down to 3.893 or up to 3.902Mhz. If we have to we could move way down in the 3800 where the generals start, all the way to the end of the band at 3.997Mhz( just inside 4000)

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

you calling me a loud mouth? Well, whatever you are calling me I guess my IC-7000 and New Carolina Windom are working. I'm not saying it is the best antenna ever, but it fit the space I had available about the best of any.
I also have a multiband fan dipole here for 80,40 and 15 but couldn't hang it very well. G5RV same problem. Even though I have over 300 acres, trees, a metal roof and a 3 phase power line in front of the house still make it challenging to put up antennas with a reasonable feedline length.If I used 200 to 300 ft of feedline I could have some great antennas but may lose any gain in feedline loss.

Good Lord....I can only wish I had 300 acres!! If I did....I'd have a 160 meter sKywire loop antenna up. Loop antennas rock!!

There isn't much feed line loss with true ladded line.....just a thought... At 300' of length & 100 watts out, generic 600 ohm ladder line only has 0.108db loss (2.5 watts).

Regarding losses... LMR400 is your friend. It's expensive but with a 1:1 match at 28 mhz, the loss is something like 1.1 dB/100 feet. On 40 meters it's negligible - probably within the tolerance of the SWR meter. However the losses get HUGE when you don't have a 1:1 match. Because of that it's important to either use a tuned antenna or a good tuner. Also a remotely controlled tuner at the feedpoint would work great - that way you'd always have a 1:1 match and very low feedline losses.

Ladder line is a much cheaper way to avoid losses, but you have to take care to run it above the ground.
Page / 68
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top