Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2010 7:42:31 AM EDT
I accidently cut my Firestik CB cable.  If I can avoid buying a new one, I would like to do that.

(I hope this is okay in the ham forum)
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If the cable section attached to the antenna is still long enough you can just install a new PL-259 connector on it.

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZCB21002

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You could, but i wouldn't. Unless you can put a new connector on it you risk changing the impedence enough to mess things up. Chances are you'd have no issues by why chance it?

If you do, make sure to put in on an SWR meter when you're done to check.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I have enough length for a new connector.  I cut off about 2' by accident.  Is a special tool required to install a new connector?

I haven't had the antenna tuned yet, so I was planning on that anyway.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
All you'll really need is wire strippers, a soldering iron/gun, solder, and a multimeter (or something else to check continuity).  There are some good references online on how to install the connector (some are on Youtube).  Just make sure to check there's no continuity between the center conductor and braid several times throughout the process.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All you'll really need is wire strippers, a soldering iron/gun, solder, and a multimeter (or something else to check continuity).  There are some good references online on how to install the connector (some are on Youtube).  Just make sure to check there's no continuity between the center conductor and braid several times throughout the process.

And just in case you forget... unplug it from the radio before checking the continuity.  (someone has to say it)
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Or just stop by a two way radio shop, a tech should be able to install a crimp connector in probably 60 seconds and might cost you $5 to $10.  There's also a reasonable chance they might have an antenna analyzer and could adjust the antenna in a few minutes with very little hassle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have enough length for a new connector.  I cut off about 2' by accident.  Is a special tool required to install a new connector?

Thanks for the help.

You cut 2 inches or 2 feet?

What was the original length of the antenna?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help.

I cut two feet off the antenna CABLE.  I think it was 18' long before.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the help.

I cut two feet off the antenna CABLE.  I think it was 18' long before.

Sorry, the firestik part threw me off.  Early in the morning for me.  I thought you meant the antenna.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
your cable should be cut to the length needed anyways. if you had 18ft and only needed 15 then cut it and put new ends on. the "you need 18ft for a CB" is a myth.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Since we're talking 27 MHz, you can make a pretty nasty splice and as long as the wires aren't shorted, you will only be able to tell the difference with a network analyzer.

So, although a proper repair is always desirable, a careful splice will work fine. I'd strip each cut end about 1/2 an inch, bare each center conductor a quarter of an inch and solder them together.

Next, I'd insulate the exposed center conductor with some of the center dielectric cut approx in half and taped in place, trying to wind up with the same inner conductor/dielectric diameter as the original. But, at these frequencies, it isn't very critical.

Then I'd tin the outer conductor ends and bridge them with some more braid, 4 pieces of #20 ga solid hookup wire or similar or some solder wick.

Finally, I'd probably stiffen the repaired area with a couple strips of anything handy, like wire tie pieces or a narrow strip of PC board material, and tape neatly.

If you've soldered before, repair might take 10 minutes, then you should be good to go.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just make sure to check there's no continuity between the center conductor and braid several times throughout the process.

note: this approach is not going to work (i.e., give a false positive) at least half the time.

example:
try it with a J-pole.
try it with a collinear (stacked hairpin-fed 1/2wave elements).
try it with a Yagi with a gamma match.
try it with a Firestik NGP (no ground plane) antenna.

all of these antenna types, and many others, exhibit a short between center conductor and braid at DC.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just make sure to check there's no continuity between the center conductor and braid several times throughout the process.

note: this approach is not going to work (i.e., give a false positive) at least half the time.

example:
try it with a J-pole.

all of these antenna types, and many others, exhibit a short between center conductor and braid at DC.  

ar-jedi

Shhhhhh Jedi.   You're giving away all our ham radio secrets to the CBers.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

example:

try it with a J-pole.

ar-jedi

Correct, always check connectors when disconnected from the antenna and radio.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top