Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 3 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Frank I'll take it! Don't happen to have a spare 202 battery lying around??  sargern at swwmail dot net I'll be leaving town tomorrow afternoon and not back until Sunday evening. May be able to answer and e-mails from work before I leave.
73's
Sarge
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 2:03:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#2]
Originally Posted By SargeRN:
Frank I'll take it! Don't happen to have a spare 202 battery lying around??  sargern at swwmail dot net I'll be leaving town tomorrow afternoon and not back until Sunday evening. May be able to answer and e-mails from work before I leave.
73's
Sarge

IM me with your mailing address, or Email me at [email protected].

No extra batteries, I sold the 202 years ago. The battery pack from an Icom IC2A would fit it but I don't think the battery terminals were compatible.

IIRC the 202 terminals were offset differently from those of the Icom; the Icom's terminals were next to each other, and the 202's were at opposite ends of the pack.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Foxhunting RDF book up for grabs. Has alot of info and easy to expert projects inside.

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By KB7DX:

Foxhunting RDF book up for grabs. Has alot of info and easy to expert projects inside.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/book1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/book2.jpg

My chance to say I'll take it.  Been wanting this book for a long time but never spent the money.  Have done a lot of T hunting over the years.  Won my share too.

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#5]
km, send me your adress. I will send you the book when i am done with it. Thanks BHD44
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By thedave1164:

Ok guys, this is for a new ham that is trying to get into HF and really can not afford a good power supply.

I have a Drake old school PS, it is always on and in fair shape. I got it in a deal that I made some money on and have it left over.

It is going to be about $20 for shipping UPS ground. It is heavy.

Please let this be on the honor system, I am looking for the guy that really can't afford it, this doesn't mean someone that goes out to eat all the time, or spends money buying guns and ammo, then says he's broke.

I know when I was putting together money to buy my first HF rig, I didn't even thing about how much a PS would set me back. So my HF rig I traded for, sat there.....

And like I said, I would like this to go to someone that is going HF, the smaller PS for the 2M rigs are cheaper.

Last stipulation, is that you must agree to never sell it, only pass it along like I am doing.

Lext me know and I will send you my PP info for the shipping, if it is less, I will refund you the difference, if it is more, I will cover it. CONUS only, AK and HI it will cost to much to ship.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
what are the dimensions of it? if its under 70# you can put it in a USPS flat rate box, just pack it real well, as someone who works with the mail ill tell you first hand that the heavy stuff goes on the bottom of anything you pack it in and it will be dropped the last 6" to the floor.  on the plus side, it wont be thrown anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thedave1164:
Ok guys, this is for a new ham that is trying to get into HF and really can not afford a good power supply.

I have a Drake old school PS, it is always on and in fair shape. I got it in a deal that I made some money on and have it left over.

It is going to be about $20 for shipping UPS ground. It is heavy.

Please let this be on the honor system, I am looking for the guy that really can't afford it, this doesn't mean someone that goes out to eat all the time, or spends money buying guns and ammo, then says he's broke.

I know when I was putting together money to buy my first HF rig, I didn't even thing about how much a PS would set me back. So my HF rig I traded for, sat there.....

And like I said, I would like this to go to someone that is going HF, the smaller PS for the 2M rigs are cheaper.

Last stipulation, is that you must agree to never sell it, only pass it along like I am doing.

Lext me know and I will send you my PP info for the shipping, if it is less, I will refund you the difference, if it is more, I will cover it. CONUS only, AK and HI it will cost to much to ship.

can i ask how big it is and a guesstimate on its weight and amps? i am in a rental so i have to setup my station outside when i get on the air and have to take it down when im done. right now im using a motorcycle battery so i just leave that outside under the car port. i could really use a PS but if its more suited to a stationary inside station someone else might be better off with it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I''m not new to Arfcom, but new to HAM. Been wanting to get into HAM for a very long time. Own just about every make of the small bubble pack radios, and have handed down, thrown out most of them. They don't work, or have zero power.

What does a guy need to get started?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Unique1:

I''m not new to Arfcom, but new to HAM. Been wanting to get into HAM for a very long time. Own just about every make of the small bubble pack radios, and have handed down, thrown out most of them. They don't work, or have zero power.

check out the ham radio 101 thread to start you would get a technician license, you can get either a Hand held or a mobile radio, power supply, and antenna.

or both.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I will be setting up my station over the next several weeks. I am sure I will have some things that i will have left over. I've been a ham for over 20 years so I am sure something will shake loose. We moved into a fixer upper house 15 months ago and am just now digging out the radio gear. Young husbands be warned...

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By tesla120:

check out the ham radio 101 thread to start you would get a technician license, you can get either a Hand held or a mobile radio, power supply, and antenna.    

or both.

I've been reading it since you pointed it out. Interesting. SO much information. I think I will need handheld and mobile. And maybe a home station. Need a license first. Then gear. Thanks!!!

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Been wanting to get into HAM for a very long time.   What does a guy need to get started?

Ham Radio 101
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477

the CAN'T FAIL thread for getting a ham radio license and learning basic VHF/UHF operations
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=646491

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Unique1] [#17]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Been wanting to get into HAM for a very long time.   What does a guy need to get started?

Ham Radio 101

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477

the CAN'T FAIL thread for getting a ham radio license and learning basic VHF/UHF operations

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=646491

ar-jedi

I wondered when you would come along. You seem to be the god of all things HAM related. Anyone ever want to trade firearms for HAM stuff? Just kicking it out there. I will work on the license thing first. But I'm convinced life as we know it is circling the drain. Comms is all I have left to really do.

ar-jedi, you put together some great stuff, if I only knew 10% of what youknow, I would be good to go.

ETA. Just bought three books from Amazon to help me to study. Kindle additions.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Frank, THANKS for the HTX 202 manual it arrived today in good shape! My 202 and myself THANK YOU!!
Sarge
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Frank, THANKS for the HTX 202 manual it arrived today in good shape! My 202 and myself THANK YOU!!
Sarge

Enjoy!

I had the 202 many years ago and really liked it. It was the last 2 meter-only HT I owned; after I got an Alinco G5, I saw the 202 was gathering dust and the rest was history. I found the manual just a week or so ago  while sorting through some old boxes.

I mentioned that the battery packs were similar to the Icom 2A series, but that the terminals were offset. I imagine it'd be possible to get an Icom battery pack and glue or otherwise attach a copper strap, to make the contact for one terminal, but I've never done this.

It seems to me that there was a 12- or 6-volt input on the side of the transmitter, too. Since I usually used it with a speaker/mic, it was no problem for me to attach an external AA battery pack to it.

Anyway, I'm glad you can use it! I've found that the manufacturers are quite variable in how they treat their customers; one sent me a new manual for free, another directed me to a .pdf online, and yet another wanted $35 for their manual!
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]

I wondered when you would come along. You seem to be the god of all things HAM related. Anyone ever want to trade firearms for HAM stuff? Just kicking it out there. I will work on the license thing first. But I'm convinced life as we know it is circling the drain. Comms is all I have left to really do.

ar-jedi, you put together some great stuff, if I only knew 10% of what youknow, I would be good to go.

You can find practice tests online. and if you need any help, there are a few arfcommers from WI that are hams (i'm sure you remember my suburban ).
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Shack cleaning...

I have an MFJ-9020. It's a 20 meter QRP CW rig that covers 14.0 through about 14.1 MHz. Looks like this:

(not my pic, just a representative image). It will do about 5-7 watts depending on the power supply. Runs from 12 VDC and does great with a SLA battery or even 8 C or D cell batteries. It has the built in electronic keyer so you can use paddles or a straight key.

I'd like this to go to someone just getting started in ham radio; if you already have a shack full of gear please let this one go to someone who doesn't If you take this, you can never sell it. If you get rid of it you must pass it on to a new ham.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By phurba:

Shack cleaning...

I have an MFJ-9020. It's a 20 meter QRP CW rig that covers 14.0 through about 14.1 MHz. Looks like this:

http://1responder.us/uploads/thumbs/f6ufd4jtzo5ki4d0.jpg

(not my pic, just a representative image). It will do about 5-7 watts depending on the power supply. Runs from 12 VDC and does great with a SLA battery or even 8 C or D cell batteries. It has the built in electronic keyer so you can use paddles or a straight key.

I'd like this to go to someone just getting started in ham radio; if you already have a shack full of gear please let this one go to someone who doesn't If you take this, you can never sell it. If you get rid of it you must pass it on to a new ham.
How about someone trying to get into CW?

Wont be butthurt if you say no.

Link Posted: 6/7/2011 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By VRMN8R:

Shack cleaning...

Do you already have equipment capable of working CW?
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By NAM:

You can find practice tests online. and if you need any help, there are a few arfcommers from WI that are hams (i'm sure you remember my suburban ).

Now that you mention it, I do remember. Wish you were in Madison, that would be kick ass. Already shopping for radios, even though I've no clue what to look for.

Link Posted: 6/8/2011 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By VRMN8R:

Shack cleaning...

Do you already have equipment capable of working CW?
I think the answer would be yes.

Not sure how to use it. My Icom 718 and the 706MKIIG

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Shack cleaning...

I'll take it if the offer still stands. I have nothing for CW, or anything HF for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phurba] [#28]
Originally Posted By spoil9:
Shack cleaning...

I'll take it if the offer still stands. I have nothing for CW, or anything HF for that matter.

PM me your address. Do you need a CW key?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#29]

PM me your address. Do you need a CW key?

PM Sent.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone have a copy of the ARRL General Class License Manual that I can have.  Either the full manual or the Q&A one.  I'd like to study it before I start working on the online tests.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Gibby:
Does anyone have a copy of the ARRL General Class License Manual that I can have.  Either the full manual or the Q&A one.  I'd like to study it before I start working on the online tests.

Thanks in advance.

YES, but it expires at the end of this month...new pool of questions goes in 7-1-11...but if you want it...it was given to me here, and from here I'll share (IM me)
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gibby] [#32]

Originally Posted By SCWolverine:

Originally Posted By Gibby:

Thanks in advance.

YES, but it expires at the end of this month...new pool of questions goes in 7-1-11...but if you want it...it was given to me here, and from here I'll share (IM me)

I thought the current pool was good through 2015.  IM to be sent and thanks.  I see my mistake now.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#33]
If anyone else has a General Guide it would be extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
the questions may change but the info doesnt. if you get my drift.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 9:05:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowman1] [#35]
I've got a couple of items for anyone looking to get their extra class upgrade knocked out. The first is the ARRL Extra Class Manual, and the second book is Gordon West's Extra Class 2008-12 Element 4 FCC License Preparation. Please PM me if you're interested in one or both of these.

73s!

ETA: The manuals are spoken for. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bowman1:
I've got a couple of items for anyone looking to get their extra class upgrade knocked out. The first is the ARRL Extra Class Manual, and the second book is Gordon West's Extra Class 2008-12 Element 4 FCC License Preparation. Please PM me if you're interested in one or both of these.

73s!

Pm sent!
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Free to good home: KD9SV pennant antenna, assembled and ready to go.  A pennant antenna is a low-noise receive antenna for the low bands (40-160).  It's shaped like an elongated pennant and is directional.  A pre-amp will likely be required (but the one in your rig might suffice).  I bought this and put it together but never got around to trying it out.  Post here and PM me your address if you want it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By gubernator:
Free to good home: KD9SV pennant antenna, assembled and ready to go.  A pennant antenna is a low-noise receive antenna for the low bands (40-160).  It's shaped like an elongated pennant and is directional.  A pre-amp will likely be required (but the one in your rig might suffice).  I bought this and put it together but never got around to trying it out.  Post here and PM me your address if you want it.  Thanks.

Dibs
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#39]
It's yours.  Enjoy.

Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:

Dibs

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#40]
It's yours.  Enjoy.

Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:

Dibs

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAWK347] [#41]
Originally Posted By Bowman1:

73s!

ETA: The manuals are spoken for. Thanks everyone!

I will make these available to someone else now that I passed my test. PM me for one or both if you are interested. Thanks again Bowman1 !

ETA: The ARRL manual is spoken for, Gorden West book still available.  Both gone, Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#42]
PM in route.
Sarge
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Bowman1 the manual arrived today in great shape! I will pass on once I "get'er done"!  BTW I know where you home town is Dad lives a little further north!

Sarge
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Bowman1 the manual arrived today in great shape! I will pass on once I "get'er done"!  BTW I know where you home town is Dad lives a little further north!

Sarge

Glad you finally got it, they said it would be there Sat. or Mon. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Great idea, its something I have been interested in for quite some time. I would love to borrow or use a old radio particularly for my truck. Ive been studying for the test, seems pretty straight forward. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#46]
its that time of year again, the time where Tesla has access to a vinyl cutter. want little stickers of your call sign???  reply or IM me your call and address and I will try and cut a bunch and mail them out.

its the same quality material as the ARFCOM vinyl stickers in the store, only its your callsign!

this offer is only good for a little while, and the more people who go in means the more vinyl I have to buy, im not selling them, its free, but nothing stops you from donating to the Tesla college fund.

colors are white and black, other colors may be available just ask
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tesla120:
its that time of year again, the time where Tesla has access to a vinyl cutter. want little stickers of your call sign???  reply or IM me your call and address and I will try and cut a bunch and mail them out.

its the same quality material as the ARFCOM vinyl stickers in the store, only its your callsign!
this offer is only good for a little while, and the more people who go in means the more vinyl I have to buy, im not selling them, its free, but nothing stops you from donating to the Tesla college fund.

colors are white and black, other colors may be available just ask

Can I say I'm in?  I dont have my call yet but I will be getting it from the FCC anyday now.  Took my tech exam on 7/23, just waiting now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#48]
just let me know when you get it, ill have probably a little over a week or so, plenty of time to get a call.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Can I get a set with my wife's call?  I'd like to surprise her with them.  

If anyone is on the fence about this, I can tell you they are NICE.  I got a set last year.  They have been put to good use.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Tesla, e-mail in-bound!
Lifesaver - Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces!
Sarge
Page / 9
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 3 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top