Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 4:09:14 PM EDT
I have a few sets, but most are for bass. We are moving down to the Gulf Shores area and we have no clue what is in store for us. We will be fishing in Mobile Bay and the little inlets. My set ups that I have now are a Abu Garcia Orra sx Casting reel on a Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 heavy rod. (on sale at Cabelas for 69.99)  and a Orra S spinning reel on the same rod but medium heavy. with 10 lb power pro braid, the guy at cabelas said it is more than enough for reds and I thought okay sure. its only 12 bucks for line if he's wrong.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Your rod/reel is good to go.
I prefer twenty pound test braided line.
Terminal tackle is an egg shape weight above a small swivel tied to a florocarbon leader about 15inches long then the hook.
Keep your hook smallish. About a #2 octopus or flounder size.
Redfish are garbage guts and will take most any bait. Shrimp, mullet, mud minnows, sheepshead minnow, big chunks of cut up mullet, etc.
Or you can use lures. Gold spoon works great. Purple soft tails on a lead jig head work great.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
Your rod/reel is good to go.
I prefer twenty pound test braided line.
Terminal tackle is an egg shape weight above a small swivel tied to a florocarbon leader about 15inches long then the hook.
Keep your hook smallish. About a #2 octopus or flounder size.
Redfish are garbage guts and will take most any bait. Shrimp, mullet, mud minnows, sheepshead minnow, big chunks of cut up mullet, etc.
Or you can use lures. Gold spoon works great. Purple soft tails on a lead jig head work great.
Good luck.
View Quote
I am reading that they love mullet. Should I up my test to 20?  We are planning on starting a foundation to take people fishing so I plan on keeping what we have and just buying more stuff.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
10lb braid is plenty, though I would recommend medium action rods as the heaviest.  My favorite inshore rods are 7'6" ML... any good quality rod will be sufficient, of course, but I really like the inshore saltwater models from St Croix (Tidemaster, Avid Inshore).
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rosejackets67:
10lb braid is plenty, though I would recommend medium action rods as the heaviest.  My favorite inshore rods are 7'6" ML... any good quality rod will be sufficient, of course, but I really like the inshore saltwater models from St Croix (Tidemaster, Avid Inshore).
View Quote
That's funny. I was just looking at reels and rods to add to out collection and I saw the saltwater reels I can use freshwater reels correct?  I have only been fishing for bass so this is a whole new venture. I am also planning on getting a St Croix  X Bass rod when they go on sale at cabelas. the heavy rod I have is 7'11" its huge.  My goal is to transition over to St croix rods and just keep the Abu reels, I haven't tried any other brands but the Orra SX caster seems to be great even though it's 3 years old or older. Are there any fishing message boards for the Southern Alabama area or just fishing message boards?  When we move we will know no one so meeting people would be nice down there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It's really going to depend on the area you're fishing. The lightest power pro I use is 20lb. Make sure you clean your stuff well when you get home.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lowonair:
It's really going to depend on the area you're fishing. The lightest power pro I use is 20lb. Make sure you clean your stuff well when you get home.
View Quote
It will be in Mobile Bay and the surrounding bays. I don't think we will be heading into the Gulf because I dont know anything about the Gulf.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
It will be in Mobile Bay and the surrounding bays. I don't think we will be heading into the Gulf because I dont know anything about the Gulf.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
Originally Posted By lowonair:
You'll probably run into oyster reefs and other "structure" so I'd go at least 20lb. The diameter is still pretty small and it will hold up better. I may have missed it, but do you fish a lot of artificials?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I use frogs, and poppers.  I will upgrade after this year since we are not moving until spring of 18.  Also, I can downgrade the 40lb braid I have in my baitcaster to 20 also?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#9]
Abu Garcia 7000 Blue Yonder
A good salt water fish can outrun a bail.
Best way to catch Redfish is  cast net some finger mullet hook them through the tail  let them run with it when they stop set the hook.  ( ice chest with areator & battery to keep them alive.)
Tony Ancira gold spoons with a green hologram.
plastic purple minnow with a pink tail pink jig head
Spec Rigs for fishing under the lights at night.

A floating fishing tube is like fishing out of a recliner.

You will also want to own a light you can put below the surface of the water think sealed beam wired with silicone sealer to waterproof it you can float a battery in an ice chest inside an innertube and go after flounder at night.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes you can use freshwater tackle but you will have be very diligent about cleaning everything of salt.
The salt will corrode your stuff quickly.
You must clean your gear as soon as you can when you finish for the day.

I prefer twenty pound test line.
The thing about braided line is it has no "give". Monofilament stretches. Braid doesn't.
With braid you will want to run your reel drag with less tension. You adjust it as needed while fighting your fish.
If you're fishing with the rods set in a rod holder back the drag off or you get snapped rods or even being yanked into the water.
Mono gives a bit. Its less sensitive. Its also much cheaper. And it doesn't last nearly as long.
Braid is much thinner and allows a lot more footage on the same spool.
This allows you to let the fish run much further without running out of line on your reel.

Redfish tend to run in schools. Where there is one there will usually be others.
Be quiet or they spook and will leave instantly. No yelling and hollering. No thumping and banging around in the boat.
Normal splashing doesn't seem to bother them much but slapping the water with rods or landng nets does.
Water transmits sounds very effectvely so move gently.

"Finger" mullet are just small mullet about the size of your finger. They are crack to redfish.
You can use a cast net to catch them for free. They need an aerated bucket or live well to stay alive. They will die quickly in an unaerated container.
Live shrimp work well but every little fish down there eats them so you will use a lot more of them. They need an aeraed container as well.

A favorite tactic is to use a "popping" cork or bobber to float the bait by a structure like a reef or deep spot using the current to carry the bobber.
Cast upstream and let the current drift the bait into the area. BOOM! They'll hit it as it reaches them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
So what are some good brands for saltwater reels, I like St Croix rods but we usually use Abu Garcia, and Cabelas only has 1 spinning and 1 casting by Abu?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I had been buying Battle II 2500 reels for light saltwater use, but recently switched to Shimano Nascis after using them on a guided trip. I'm impressed with them so far.

I also have a couple of inshore rods setup with Penn Spinfisher 4500s. They are pickup trucks, not cadillacs, but they hold up really well and have fantastic drags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top