Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 7:51:53 PM EDT
I have decided to get into catfishing, flatheads to be exact. I fished for cats years ago however I always used borrowed gear.
After doing some research on reels I am even more confused that when I started. Rods seem to be more simple, I think I want a fiberglass, 8 footer of some flavor.
What style of reel do you prefer and why? I am leaning to the Abu Garcia 7000 series using braided line however I am concerned about nesting. All advice is appreciated. I would like to keep the setup in to 200 - 300 dollar range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am using the Catmaxx series baitcast reel with a 7'6" heavy rod from Bass Pro.  Power Pro 65# braided line, 2 oz. no roll sinker and 50# leader snelled to a big cat circle hook.  This may be a little heavy for your AO, but it's what I use and have far less than $200.00 in this entire rig.  I have some smaller catfish rigs with less money invested but this is just an example of the extreme you could invest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
When I go for flatheads I just use my Inshore setup... A St Croix Mojo Musky rod with an Avet SX reel. I also float for them off my kayak so I usually go with a little bit lighter gear.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Okuma Trio baitfeeder and an ugly stick.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Glocker1986:
I have decided to get into catfishing, flatheads to be exact. I fished for cats years ago however I always used borrowed gear.
After doing some research on reels I am even more confused that when I started. Rods seem to be more simple, I think I want a fiberglass, 8 footer of some flavor.
What style of reel do you prefer and why? I am leaning to the Abu Garcia 7000 series using braided line however I am concerned about nesting. All advice is appreciated. I would like to keep the setup in to 200 - 300 dollar range.
View Quote

Spinning reels are so much easier to use but they lack in the torque department. With a little practice and use of a cast control knob, you'll be able to cast a conventional reel with little effort and it will have the drag and torque necessary for battling a potentially large Flathead Catfish. Abu Garcias have been around a long time and are a fine reel. Take a look at similar offerings from Shimano, Avet, Accurate, etc. and you will be able to put together a combo that will work not just for big catfish but a decent amount of saltwater fish you may encounter down the road. Fill it with 50-65lb braid and you'll have a little powerhouse good for a variety of fisheries.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you spend your money yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top