Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 6:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1]
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most patient when it comes to fishing. I mostly fish reaction baits: cranks, spinners, and swimmers with a few Texas rigs thrown in on occasion.

I plan to try my hand at finesse fishing a bit more as I've got a couple new spots to fish with lots of weeds, pads and grass. I'm looking to throw some jigs, drop shots, senkos and frogs and need a rig better suited to this style. I don't want spend a ton as I'm really just experimenting at this point.

I'm looking at an Abu Garcia Vendetta 7' medium heavy fast tip rod and a Lew's speed spin 6.2:1 spinning reel. With all the heavy vegetation I'm also thinking about trying braided line for the first time. Probably 20-30 lb and I'd like to avoid using a leader if possible. I do use 10lb fluorocarbon line on the drop shots.

What do you think about the rod, reel and line? Any other tips of suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:22:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Casper507] [#1]

I went to a game feed where a guy who did some professional fishing guide work was speaking.
Two things he mentioned were using a medium rod instead of medium-heavy to stop losing fish that weren't monsters which is most of your real fishing and using braided line since if you wanted something more invisible you could just attach a line between bait and braided or leader and braided line.  He also said he got twice as much use reversing the line when worn and the braided line didn't take a set in the reel like some other lines.

I don't fish much myself so YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stocklx] [#2]
I like the combo if I went spinning. I would go same rod with baitcast and the speed spool LFS 7.5:1

Edit to add: power pro 40lb in heavy vegetation. You can always use a Seaguar fluorocarbon leader with an Albright knot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#3]
What size senkos and jigs? Those can be very heavy..

My all around (really only rig at the moment)  is a 7' ml/f spinning rod with a 1000 size Shimano. I can toss 1/16 oz jigs to 5/16oz total weight t-rigs in open water without issue.

Id suggest a medium/fast rod if your looking for something more well
rounded or a mh rod if you will be throwing 5" senkos and 1/2oz+ jigs.
I personally love braid with a leader in any situation though I fish soft plastic 90% of the time. The braid really helps detecting bites if you can keep slack away.
A 1000 size (or 25-30 size abu/pflueger)  would work but a larger size may help balance the rod depending on its length. If strictly bass fishing, you don't need 120 yards of any line and using backing on a reel can help save expensive braid for later use.
7' is a great length and can gain you some distance with a small trade off in accuracy. Brush and other obstacles on the shoreline will get in your way more often if you're a bank beater.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top