Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2016 9:41:10 AM EDT
I know this is a highly debatable subject but I'm in the mood to talk fishing. :)

I mostly use braid for both inshore saltwater fishing and for Bass fishing. SpiderWire in the dark green color had been my go-to line for a long time but I picked up a spool of 30lb PowerPro HiViz Yellow out of a bargan bin last night. Stuff is bright! you guys think this is going to spook all the bass away? I figure I will could color the first 10ft or so just for shits and giggles.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I use lo viz green exclusively for bass fishing.

The only time I use anything else is I use yellow at night to see it better with my headlamp.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I use hi viz for crappie fishing, it doesn't seem to bother them. Just do like you said and get a dark colored sharpie and color the first couple feet. I do that when my braid becomes sun bleached.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming that you're tying direct. Try throwing a leader of flourocarbon, say, 2 feet worth. That way it doesn't matter what color your line is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I've tried clear, purple, green, red and yellow and honestly, I can't tell any difference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChaSeR84:
I use hi viz for crappie fishing, it doesn't seem to bother them. Just do like you said and get a dark colored sharpie and color the first couple feet. I do that when my braid becomes sun bleached.
View Quote

Hi viz line lets you see strikes you would otherwise miss, plus when your sight goes to shit like mine I can't see the low viz stuff.  While crappie fishing I also catch largemouth and white bass, they don't seem to mind the color.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It really depends on the body of water.  Some fish are highly line sensitive, others couldn't care less.  

Just tie on a leader of mono or flouro if you think the fish are being sensitive...learn the uni-uni knot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I always use clear and my brother uses some high viz green/yellow stuff. I have heard smallmouth have excellent sight and you need to use thing or low viz line. Well, he caught just as many as I did the other day so I dont think it matters, except for what you like and you are trying to accomplish. In the future I will use a more visible line.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I've tried clear, purple, green, red and yellow and honestly, I can't tell any difference.
View Quote

This except I've only tried green clear and yellow.  I really liked the yellow because I could see when my line was moving.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have always used clear line for as long as I can remember, just something that always creeps in the back of my head that when I use a colored line that the fish can see it, I am probably wrong but I cant shake it lol
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I used green braid for years before switching to yellow and never noticed a difference in number of fish.
I fish a lot if weightless plastics for bass like senkos and flukes and the color really helps detecting bites. I use or have used it from 2lb diameter on ultralight and BFS rigs to 40lb MH on casting with a 4 to 15lb leader depending on cover and what not.
The lakes I fish are fairly clear and pressured so finesse is my usual approach.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Just throw on a couple feet of fluorocarbon leader.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top