Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2016 9:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yarael]
I know very little on fishing yet know what to talk about on the camping. What sites or tips can y'all tell me for the fishing because that is more of that they are looking for than the camping. Thank you.

ETA last time I fished was at least 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
watch fishing with roland martin
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Different types of reels and sizes used for species
Rod actions and weights and their applications

General knowledge of "hot" lures/rigs used in your area

Differences between brands/models of fish finders

General applications of line types (mono/floro/braid)

That'd be a start...
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I had $40 to spend there from there credit card. It took me three visits to finally spend it. Sorry but those stores are poorly managed and are way overpriced. The clerk helping my wife try some shoes acted like he had better things to do. He wanted to go back and talk with other employees about how hard and how many hours he worked. I ended up getting a landing net. When I paid for it they wanted to know if I wanted to take a service plan on it. I think the chain sucks.

Sorry for your luck.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elokoman] [#4]
Never been fishing in Texas, yet my guess about it is you have your warm water species such as bass, and whatever swims around in the Gulf. You could pick up quite a bit by just looking through the outdoor magazines at the barber shop as a start.

A lot of your business will be for families wanting to take their kids out fishing, so some basic gear knowledge, and what works locally could be very helpful.

Some of your business will be hard core fishermen or women who are in the store for something else, and are just in need of one or two items for their next trip or are checking your prices on their favorite lure, or the next reel they want to buy.

I'm thinking this could be a lot of fun, even if inventory is not ideal, any job is what you make it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:17:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: italianspike13] [#5]
No wonder why nobody in that store knows anything. They got no knowledge on the item they are helping you with. You ask them a question and they read from the box. Like seriously.. Customer service  is terrible. And now your going to work in a department where you have no clue and going to tell people information on something you have no clue about. Great
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]
When was the last time you walked into a store like that and the employees were actually knowledgeable?

... exactly...
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bruins:
When was the last time you walked into a store like that and the employees were actually knowledgeable?

... exactly...
View Quote

Very very true
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]

... exactly...
View Quote

And anything was affordable.. I stopped by one to see what they would offer me on a NIB/unfired handgun.  They took it to "the gun guy" in the back who proceeded to tell me it was "about 85 %" and offered me 50% of what it's wholesale value was. Fuck GM and the rest of the chain stores.

OP I hope you find a way to enjoy your job without looking like the majority of the employees at these types of places.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I can tell most people walk into these stores pretty much knowing what they want, for the most part I only ask a employee where item x might be.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#10]

... exactly...
View Quote

Sunday right before my shift started..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top