Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 8:19:36 AM EDT
Just got a canoe so I'll finally get to get out on the lakes.  We got out a couple times this week. Even studying the topo maps I'm finding myself wishing i had a better idea what's going on below me.

For those that have fished with and without a finder, Do you find that having one really increases your success rate?

Also for anyone that has canoe mounted one, How did you mount and power it?

Was looking at this model here.  Wish it had a bigger screen but budget constraints and whatnot...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
For the occasional fisher, no unless it's open ocean. Since you're in a canoe I doubt you're headed out there. Small lakes and rivers they can be helpful once you figure the fish's patterns out. Even then it's possible to just use a topography map and terrain above the water.

With that said they can be a huge asset if you get a better one(probably a grand) and really put the time in to learn it.  Most of the time fish are relating to structure or holding on the bottom. The places they hide on the bottom can make them hard to identify. When they show up on the monitor you relly need to know what you're looking at.

I've never had a good enough model to identify the fish or maybe I just don't know how to adjust and use them effectively. Most of my fishing is shallow and I'm sure that is the biggest factor in my inability. I'm sure they really start paying for themselves in 20+ feet of water. At that depth fish can be spotted easier and with the right knowledge you can determine their species. That's what the pros on TV tell me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to catch fish they are worth it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
When you say 'a grand,' What should I be looking at as far as numbers and features go?

The one I posted has that multi frequency bullshit with downscan but the actual numbers as far as power output and frequency might as well be all explained in German to me. Though comparing the raw numbers I'm not seeing where making the jump to the 600-1k range gets you much more than better features?

Edit: like I said my biggest hangup is the size, though on a canoe I'm not sure if that will be such a big issue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never found the actual "fish finding" capability to be worth it. However, I've found them to be extremely useful in measuring depth and water temperature, and locating structure, particularly when exploring new water, which in turn has helped me find fish.

I use a Garmin Echo and run it off of 8 AA batteries, with  this battery carrier, these connectors, and 8 rechargeable AA batteries, this transducer arm mount, and a bunch of 1" ball and socket RAM mounts and rigged it up.  It works great and everything quickly comes apart when I deflate my kayak for storage.

The batteries last a surprisingly long time - a couple of weeks of frequent summer fishing in between charges.

This setup would probably work for any model fish finder - but I used a Garmin Echo as it was small, lightweight and cheap.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one on my kayak and mainly use it to mark hot spots on my gps and determine structure/ bottom composition. I use a 12aH battery in my hatch and it will run for 12-14 hours between charging
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Pulled the trigger and got the elite 4.  Going to try mounting it with one of those suction cup mounts for the transducer and just bolt the unit mount to my cheap, shitty cooler.  Grabbed a 12v10a battery which should do the trick for a full days worth of fishing I would hope. Might take it out tomorrow if i don't get forced top do a double shift in the morning. Will report back.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just seeing this post now, I use the same model fishfinder in my kayak. I think that having the unit is totally worth it. I don't use it to find fish, I use it more to learn where the changes in depth are along with the underwater structure. Knowing where the structure is helps me find more fish. Now that you've got the unit, get yourself a battery. Cheap batteries can be had on Amazon. Sealed Lead Acid batteries should run in the $15-$35 range. I've had that unit running on a 7.5 mAh battery for 6 hours with no problems. I upgraded to a 10 mAh battery since I do fish saltwater and would rather err on the side of caution.

Remember, when you start using it, don't forget how to fish. You've fished long enough without one to know what you're doing. If you use the fish finder to find the structure then the knowledge you already have will be totally useful. I've seen guys who can fish and start to use a fish finder and see their numbers decrease because they stop doing what works.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Already got the battery covered with a 12v10a sealed lead acid. I've also got a 12v4a as a backup if I need it that I ised to use for my model airplane starter.

Honestly I don't know shit about fishing.  I've shore fished my entire life so getting on a lake is new to me.

How much luck have you had with this unit actually locating fish and bait fish?  I've heard its great at locating structure and depth changes but I've heard mixed reviews on it actually showing fish.

I don't really plan on using it to spot fish specific fish, more to see what's below me as far as depth and structure goes BUT when I'm fiddling with the settings I don't want to be chasing unicorns trying to find the right setting that actually shows fish well if this unit isn't really up to the task.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you been on the water with it yet? Let us know if you like that model. :-)
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#11]
"I've never found the actual "fish finding" capability to be worth it. However, I've found them to be extremely useful in measuring depth and water temperature, and locating structure, particularly when exploring new water, which in turn has helped me find fish."

Exactly, ...they can be helpful for suspended fish in deeper water though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually my first fish finder, an old flasher model, I used on a canoe.  I've been sold ever since.  

In rivers and steams, they give you a good idea of the bottom contour, where the holes are, and while fishing what depth to drop your line.  

Great fishing aid, not bad as a navigation tool either, depth.  

Tj
View Quote

Good comment on using them to navigate with. Very useful when you're in a fog bank and can't see the bow.

For a little boat those old style fishing buddies worked. I had fished a stocked remote trout pond with little success. One day I went with an older coworker who brought his fishing buddy.  I just a short while he found all the trout hanging on an underwater cold spring. We took all we wanted but could have easily gotten a full limit or more.  This was August, normally poor trout fishing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
They kick ass for bass fishing. Not for finidhing fish which is kind of a misnomer. But if you want to find the hydrilla grass edge no problem with a decent finder. More for finding the habitat you want to target. I have them in all my boats obviously but my kayak as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that fish finders are great.  I ice fish in the winter time and having a flasher is a god sent.  I just bought a lowrance 4x chirp for my kayak.  I am in the process of building a portable water proof batter box.  Something like this http://solarburrito.com/build-your-own-solar-power-generator/ but not as big.  I also ordered a magnetic transducer mount from www.fishfindermounts.com   I found with an older portable depth finder that using the suction cup mount on the side of a john boat didn't work very well.  It would always find a way to fall off and I ended up chewing up the wire in the prop.  I will post photos when I am done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top