Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2015 6:20:05 PM EDT
I want a spinning rod/reel setup used primarily for crappie fishing off the docks with 1/16 spinners and jigs. I'd like a 6' or 6'6" light action rod. I think I've settled on the Pflueger President for the reel which leaves ~$40 for a rod. Alternatively most box stores have a house branded combo with the Pflueger reel for ~$90. Basspro doesn't offer a long enough rod, and cabelas is out of stock. I need to check scheels. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
For that much you can get a good one.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a $20 Shakespeare spinning combo for crappie.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
St. Croix Triumphs I believe they are can be had for $50, Shimano Sedonas can be had for roughly the same maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Pflueger President or Trion + whatever rod floats your fancy boat. I use the same ultra lights for pan fish as I do smaller (<24" trout). To which, my favorite is the St Croix Premier 6'6" UL spinning. I've got 4lb FC Sniper on it (on a President) right now and have landed quite a few crappie, small bass, trout, and other panfish like blue gills. I've even ice fished it (the line is not a desirable line for that though) and caught a few 17-19" Rainbow, cutt, and tiger trout on it without a problem. Although they didn't put anything like the fight a 23" 3.5lb chunk of a rainbow did in warm, oxygen rich, water. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top