Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 2:57:03 AM EDT
Hey guys, I've only been fishing for a little over a year. I currently have a few(so far) spinning rods and reels and am looking for a rod that can handle heavier lures.

The two Fenwick spinning rods I have are 7ft/medium action and I'm able to cast 1oz fairly easy. However, a couple new swimbait lures I've purchased(Jackall Gantarel) are 2.5oz and needless to say its pushing their limits.

I'd like to avoid having to go the baitcasting route if at all possible. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Picked up a shimano ultima, 7ft, 1 piece, heavy power rod today. Rated for lures up to 3oz, so we'll see how it holds up. Was only $25 if I don't like it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
What weight line are you using with that jig? Check out Star Rod's powerflex series and see if anything fits what you are looking for, they are super light fast rods for the amount of power they have.

http://seastriker.com/starrods/styled-4/styled-34/index.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What weight line are you using with that jig? Check out Star Rod's powerflex series and see if anything fits what you are looking for, they are super light fast rods for the amount of power they have.

http://seastriker.com/starrods/styled-4/styled-34/index.html
View Quote

Tried out the new shimano rod yesterday. It's a little bit heavier than my Fenwick hmg, but I was able to cast my heavy lures with ease. I'm using 20lb braid main line and 17lb mono leaders. I'm using heavier line for my leaders strictly due to the fact that these lures were $40 each and the ponds I'm fishing at do have some snags underwater(branches/logs).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top