Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2014 5:22:33 PM EDT
I've been interested in starting to give fishing a shot to add to my arsenal of survival skills and have been reading up on it recently.  Specifically it would be fishing locally in the western PA area for some edible freshwater fish.  I haven't bought anything yet, but xmas is coming up and my siblings want to know what I want.  So is there some freshwater fishing starter kit out there on Amazon or anything that someone here could recommend?  

Not looking for anything crazy, just something under $80 or so that I could fish with it and decide if I want to keep going and invest in something better while keeping it as a backup, or say screw it and let it collect dust without a guilt complex over the wasted money.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the recommendation.  Would that ultra light be enough for trout and catfish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yessir. I've caught fish up to about 7 lbs with it.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
M-80s and a net.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the recommendation.  Would that ultra light be enough for trout and catfish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would not reccomend using an ultra light for catfish. a medium would be better but you could make do with light
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you fishing for? A nice catfish rig would be a Medium Heavy Rippin Lips rod. Pair it with a round baitcaster (Pinnacle Vision) and you'll be set. Free shipping on Amazon. They also have the Medium for ponds. I use the M/H and H with some Ming Yang reels and haven't got any problems.

For other aquatic critters, a Light (panfish) or Medium (bass) rod with a spinning reel will do. Just remember if you hook a little monster with light tackle, adjust your drag so you won't loose it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get ice thick enough to walk on,  a Lazer hand auger, some ice jigs & an ice rod would come in handy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top