Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2014 1:52:34 AM EDT
I've got about $95 in chase rewards points and I can use them on amazon, and im wanting to get a nicer rod and reel for my occasional fishing here in FL, which is mostly saltwater and some freshwater. right now I've got a Penn senator 4/0 rod reel combo, Id have to look in the garage but a 2500 series spin caster combo I got off CL, and either a 6/0 or 9/0 rod reel combo that I got from a buddy of mine after his 73ft boat sank and had been sitting in storage but needs an overhaul. what id like to do is use the money on amazon and get the best bang for buck deal for my weekend use. right now im sticking to shoreline and piers as I don't have a money pit we call a boat. my areas would be intercostal brackish and regular saltwater. im totally new to the sport of saltwater fishing so forgive my ignorance if some of the info comes out incorrect. my main hobby is firearms and NFA items.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a descent rig for the $$.  
View Quote

did you mean the Quantum Q-Vex number 3 listing or the list in general ? also on the hull truth someone recommended to me a shimano Sedona 4000 ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've got about $95 in chase rewards points and I can use them on amazon, and im wanting to get a nicer rod and reel for my occasional fishing here in FL, which is mostly saltwater and some freshwater. right now I've got a Penn senator 4/0 rod reel combo, Id have to look in the garage but a 2500 series spin caster combo I got off CL, and either a 6/0 or 9/0 rod reel combo that I got from a buddy of mine after his 73ft boat sank and had been sitting in storage but needs an overhaul. what id like to do is use the money on amazon and get the best bang for buck deal for my weekend use. right now im sticking to shoreline and piers as I don't have a money pit we call a boat. my areas would be intercostal brackish and regular saltwater. im totally new to the sport of saltwater fishing so forgive my ignorance if some of the info comes out incorrect. my main hobby is firearms and
View Quote

If you are not planning on landing monster fish, but need something that can pull a few feet of shark if needed, you might look at the Shimano Sedona FD 2500 or 4000 in that price range.  Just keep it clean.

You'll tend to want a different rod for surfcasting than you will for bridge and dock fishing though.  If you have to stay in that price range, Daiwa Beef Sticks or Ugly sticks will serve you pretty well.  

If you wanted to throw some cash on top of the rewards points, my favorite under $200 general salt rig I have right now is a Penn Squall 15 on a Ugly stick GX2 (6'6 casting, line 10-25 pounds), with 30 pound power pro on it.  It won't cast out as far as my long surf rods, but it has caught some nice fish so far.   I am really happy with the Squall.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Before I answer, I lived on the Gulf for ten years.  

I looked through the Amazon combo offerings and quite frankly can't recommend a one.  

What I can recommend is getting yourself a Penn 209 or if you want to grow into it, a Penn General Purpose.  These are very durable and capable reels that have been around many years.  They're really not the most user friendly reels for catching bait fish but they get you in the swing for catching big one by training you to using variable drag.  This is old school goodness taking some time to learn using the thumb as anti-backlash but worth the effort.  Its the type reel you need to land fish you talk feet not inches.  

On shore, I always ran one light line and one heavy. The light combo I'd work to keep me busy catching this or that.  The heavy I had baited up for the big ones and listened for the click, click, click, as I fished the little ones.
View Quote

You bet.  Standing and watching a heavy line forever can get dull.  The little line will keep you busy while you wait.

Hopefully OP will really get the bug, and join the Penn/Shimano//Lamiglas/St. Croix addiction support group.  :)

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are not planning on landing monster fish, but need something that can pull a few feet of shark if needed, you might look at the Shimano Sedona FD 2500 or 4000 in that price range.  Just keep it clean.

You'll tend to want a different rod for surfcasting than you will for bridge and dock fishing though.  If you have to stay in that price range, Daiwa Beef Sticks or Ugly sticks will serve you pretty well.  

If you wanted to throw some cash on top of the rewards points, my favorite under $200 general salt rig I have right now is a Penn Squall 15 on a Ugly stick GX2 (6'6 casting, line 10-25 pounds), with 30 pound power pro on it.  It won't cast out as far as my long surf rods, but it has caught some nice fish so far.   I am really happy with the Squall.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got about $95 in chase rewards points and I can use them on amazon, and im wanting to get a nicer rod and reel for my occasional fishing here in FL, which is mostly saltwater and some freshwater. right now I've got a Penn senator 4/0 rod reel combo, Id have to look in the garage but a 2500 series spin caster combo I got off CL, and either a 6/0 or 9/0 rod reel combo that I got from a buddy of mine after his 73ft boat sank and had been sitting in storage but needs an overhaul. what id like to do is use the money on amazon and get the best bang for buck deal for my weekend use. right now im sticking to shoreline and piers as I don't have a money pit we call a boat. my areas would be intercostal brackish and regular saltwater. im totally new to the sport of saltwater fishing so forgive my ignorance if some of the info comes out incorrect. my main hobby is firearms and

New guy question , why put 30lb line on a pole that's 10-25lb rated. Wouldn't the pole break before the line. And is that 30lb mono or braid
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

New guy question , why put 30lb line on a pole that's 10-25lb rated. Wouldn't the pole break before the line. And is that 30lb mono or braid
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Squall rig has 30 pound braid.  The only way you will break the pole is if you have more drag set than you have line and pole strength, and try to pull backwards hard while your fish is making a run for it the other way.  Chances are that your line will let go first.

You can catch some big fish on 30 pound.  More than a 30 pound fish.  You are not going to be able to just drag it up and out, all you can do is reel it in while the fish is participating, or too tired to fight, and lower the pole and lower the drag while it runs.  You have to use a drop net to land them, or just plain grab and drag if you are on the sand.

An extra little tip.  If you are learning a new pole and reel, and are really working on belting casts way out there, start out with some cheap mono line, as it will hurt less in the wallet when you have to cut the tangles out.  :)   The guy above me sounds like he has had more sand time than me, and for that I am jealous.  :)

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
To be honest 95 doesn't buy a quality saltwater reel. Look into a Penn battle. It's just like any other hobby, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

To be honest 95 doesn't buy a quality saltwater reel. Look into a Penn battle. It's just like any other hobby, you get what you pay for.
View Quote

It could get you a little time to figure out if you like saltwater fishing, but won't be what you want season after season.  

I have had some great luck with craigslist, and gotten some great stuff for small money.  I prefer that over ebay, as I can really look a reel over, and try it out a bit.  I got a older US made Penn 8500SS a few months ago for 60 bucks, spooled full with new 80 pound power pro. It works great.   I have picked up similar deals over the years, and it is surprising what you can run across when people decide they are done fishing.  :)

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It could get you a little time to figure out if you like saltwater fishing, but won't be what you want season after season.  

I have had some great luck with craigslist, and gotten some great stuff for small money.  I prefer that over ebay, as I can really look a reel over, and try it out a bit.  I got a older US made Penn 8500SS a few months ago for 60 bucks, spooled full with new 80 pound power pro. It works great.   I have picked up similar deals over the years, and it is surprising what you can run across when people decide they are done fishing.  :)

Yeah I'm tiptoeing into the saltwater stuff. Mind you I'm a gun guy who's owned over 400 guns and 13 tax stamps. When I get into a sport I get into it. Trust me I'd love to have one of those good penn reels that are 5-600 but I'm not ready for them yet

Someone mentioned about picking up fish, would I be better to get a gaff or a scoop net ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm tiptoeing into the saltwater stuff. Mind you I'm a gun guy who's owned over 400 guns and 13 tax stamps. When I get into a sport I get into it. Trust me I'd love to have one of those good penn reels that are 5-600 but I'm not ready for them yet

Someone mentioned about picking up fish, would I be better to get a gaff or a scoop net ?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are boat fishing, or shore fishing, a scoop type net will be good.   If you are fishing off a dock, a round drop net with a rope is the way to bring them up.  I would not use a gaff.  There are plenty of fish you want to release unharmed, either over limit, undersized, harvest prohibited, or a species you just don't want.  Harder to let them swim off once you gaffed em.  :)  I do what I can to land a fish with as little harm as possible, and also like to use hooks and methods that let me do that.   If I catch 10 fish in a day, chances are 9 of them get to go back and get smarter.  :)

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
What about stingray/skate from the dock / pier. Some of the bastards down here have a two foot span with the wings. Almost had one on the pier the other night till the hook let loose from it. Would of thought the gaff would be the best to get it up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What about stingray/skate from the dock / pier. Some of the bastards down here have a two foot span with the wings. Almost had one on the pier the other night till the hook let loose from it. Would of thought the gaff would be the best to get it up.
View Quote

I have a drop net almost 3 feet wide.  It has one long rope, and four smaller ones attached around a strong hula hoop style ring of plastic.   It works best with a buddy.  Drop the net a few feet under the water, and try to guide the fish above it, and give it a pull up.  It is nice for stingrays, as you have a semi controlled way to get them up, cut the barb, and get them back into the water, rather than slinging them up and over the rail. :)
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
so I went to the local BPS to look at the reels, I think im going to go with a Penn Battle 5000, it was a choice of the 4k over the 5k but the fishing guy said spend the extra $10 and get the 5000, no do I go with the combo rod which pretty much is free in the price at BPS, or go with an ugly stick , and whats the difference between the rods when I see light medium, medium, etc
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
So I went to buy the battle 5000 combo at bps with a friend of mine who works there for 15% off , and. Apparently they are out of stock because the guy says that penn is redesigning that and a few other models for next year ? I even tried buying the floor model they had and they were out. Do I buy just the reel itself off ebay for $80 or do I wait and see it it's a new and improved model or are they just changing the colors on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]
You will be happy with the btl for an entry level reel. Unlike what some have told you,  match the line rating to the lb test you will be using. That combined with usable drag is what allows you to fight the fish
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
The battle reels are being redesigned with a sealed drag. Should be out in sept. I don't know if they are changing the cosmetics on the reel or not. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I seen a guy from a pier one time have 80lb test on a light action rod, he hooked a stingray and it decided to hug the bottom, he could hold onto it but couldn't do anything to move it....he just stood there for like 10-15 minutes with his rod doubled over.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Bringing this one back from the dead. With all the Black Friday /cyber Monday/week deals. Bought myself tonight a penn spinfisher V 5500 reel for $49 out of pocket after all was air and done. Now to find a rod for use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top