Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2014 8:18:13 AM EDT
I just got my first baitcaster and I'm having a little trouble adjusting it.  Quantum Accurist with Sufix 832 20lb braid.  I wanted to check my expectations on how this should work.  I've got the spool tension properly adjusted for my lure.  I've got the magnetic brake cranked all the way up (6 internal to the side cover) and 10 on the outside which should provide the most amount of brake.  However, when my lure hits the water, I'm still getting a backlash.  I thought I had too much line on so I took some off and it got better.  Question is, should the reel alone, without slowing it with your thumb be enough at max brake to prevent backlash?

Any other tips on getting better with this?  Is braid a bad choice to learn on?  Switch to mono or something?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It has been my experience that those adjustments alone will not prevent back lash, you will need to practice using your thumb just before the lure hits the water to slow your roll
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has been my experience that those adjustments alone will not prevent back lash, you will need to practice using your thumb just before the lure hits the water to slow your roll
View Quote

The above is absolutely correct.  When the lure starts slowing down is when a back lash can start to occur.  Feathering your spool with your thumb is necessary to prevent one.   Also, I learned the hard way if you do not have holes to tie a knot through when you spool up line, you must tape the line to the spool before you put the line on or the line will just spin after you fill the spool.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh I get it, the marketing made it sound like these brakes were magic anti backlash devices.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The thumb is still your best anti-backlash prevention.
That, and don't try to cast a mile.  If you are trying to cast that extra few feet farther, well, that's more often than not, when you will get the biggest birds nest.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thumb all the way! I knew a man once...soon as he bought a new baitcaster he immediately took the brakes out and threw them away. He wanted total thumb control. I do too but I leave brakes in backed off to near nothing.

Another thing that when mastered you will love. When you cast throw with your crank handles up always. Not sure why but it pays off in great casts. Trust me. Practice and you will be good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ahh I get it, the marketing made it sound like these brakes were magic anti backlash devices.  Thanks
View Quote

Nope. Thumb down as soon as your bait hits the water. Then you can let off to let your lure sink before you lock it down.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Tape also helps out when learning to control a baitcaster and will save you from having to cut or pick your way out of deep bird nests. Just make a cast, pull out a few more yards of line and add the tape.  

Personally I wouldn't teach someone to throw a baitcaster spooled with braid, especially the thin type (haven't tried the round yet). It gets wedged and tangled if not managed properly after a hookset on a fish or hang up and when you throw it it stops mid cast and makes one hell of a mess. Maybe some berkley big game in 11-15# a 900 yard spool can be had from walmart for less than $10 and it's pretty decent line.

Lots of good info in this thread already and I hope what little info I gave helps!
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
yep - lose the braid for now. Get some cheap mono - 14-15lb test to learn with.  Cast in your yard or driveway.  start with a heavy weight and work progressively lighter...  Don't go much lighter than 1/4 oz though!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a way to set up a bait cast reel to minimize backlash-
Tie on a weight equal to that which you expect to fish.

Hold the rod at a 45 degree angle.

Tighten the cap on the right hand side of the reel down.  Back off all other adjustments.

Press the thumbar.

The weight probably has not moved.  Slowly back off the tension on the cap until the lure drops to the ground slowly.  The goal is to get the lure to drop to the ground and just have a little line creep off the spool without thumbing it.

Now you are set.  Use the other cast controls as fine adjustment for wind, slight lure weight changes, ect.

You may have to thumb it just a little, but I can usually dial mine in where I barely touch the spool as the lure lands and viola, no backlash.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
For starters, hold the rod at 45 degrees, and adjust the mag brake until free spool provides a drop rate of roughly 3 feet per second.  If you are completely new to baitcasters, this is a good way to start out.  You might want more or less later, but this will get you roughly in the area you want to be in.   When thumbing, use the gentle touch if you made a long cast, and are about to hit water.   A well adjusted baitcaster is an absolute pleasure to use.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried and tried to learn to properly use a baitcaster but never had much luck. The way I fixed the problem with getting the nasty bird's nest in my reel every time I cast was to switch out to a spinning reel.

since then each cast has been backlash free and I have never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here is a way to set up a bait cast reel to minimize backlash-
Tie on a weight equal to that which you expect to fish.

Hold the rod at a 45 degree angle.

Tighten the cap on the right hand side of the reel down.  Back off all other adjustments.

Press the thumbar.

The weight probably has not moved.  Slowly back off the tension on the cap until the lure drops to the ground slowly.  The goal is to get the lure to drop to the ground and just have a little line creep off the spool without thumbing it.

Now you are set.  Use the other cast controls as fine adjustment for wind, slight lure weight changes, ect.

You may have to thumb it just a little, but I can usually dial mine in where I barely touch the spool as the lure lands and viola, no backlash.
View Quote

Yep, what this guy reccomended is how it works for me. With no wind or throwing with the wind, it is perfect. If throwing INTO the wind, tighten it up a little bit.

[BIRDSNESTS]                  
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
it's all i use,over 30 years,now.

use 12 lb mono on all my rigs.

takes time to learn,but well worth it.

have fun!!

clown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top