Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2014 5:04:14 PM EDT
Looking to get into some kayak fishing.

Will be targeting small sharks and other fun fighting fish.

Looking for advice on entry level kayaks, gear and tips.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would cross post in the Florida HomeTown forums. Lots of guys do it there, they have posted Ton-O-Pics of their gear, etc
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I just started. I am on the Alabama coast. Where do you plan on fishing? For starters, it is hard to beat a Pescador 12' from Academy, especially when on sale. It will let you know if you really want to get in to it, allows you to buy some of the gear needed and not break the bank. Plenty of people fish inshore and near shore with them around here. From there, you will want to be getting in to a Hobie :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
We picked up two used Tarpon 16' kayaks for $400 each for the same purpose off the NC coast. It's a hoot! These are a bear to turn,
make sure you're perpendicular to the breakers when going through them.
Sea turtles all about, common to have schools of dolphins 10+ coming to check us out.
We're carrying two rigs each, on with a jig for blues/bait fish and anything interesting, another with a pair of @ 1 1/4" treble hooks that we evenly space on the top of the bait fish, giving it an unnatural movement, toss it over and wait. Usually within ten minutes we've got a 3'-5' bull or black tip on the line.
Be safe.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, i think when you get above a certain length you really need a rudder. 12' is apparently the magic number for no rudder but decent tracking and turning. My buddy uses a pescador and has no issues with control or tracking. He did however manage to flip it twice today when a boat's wake caught him sideways. Not sure how that happened to be honest.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked up a Pelican Apex 100 today along with a $100 life vest and a $30 paddle for under $300 today from dicks by shopping the specials and discounts.

Took it out off the beach to try and catch a small shark as a test. Ended up hooking into a 3ft sharp nose after 5 minutes. Pretty damn happy with it.

I'll probably mostly use it for towing out bait but I can catch fish from it for sure.

Killed it and grilled it

Stock pic

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to have something with a little flag on it so boaters can see you better
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the Pelican do busting through surf?  How is the storage as far as holding yak crates and whatnot?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Pelican yaks are not at all sturdy and they are seam welded halves that are known to bust. Not a chance in hell  would I go beyond the breaks in one. I just bought a pescador 12 perception, looking to rig it out soon
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
That was the old pelican reputation. Apparently they got a new team in and have resolved those issues. The stigma remains however. But i agree, a seam is just something else to give. If i'm 3 miles out, i want to minimize all chances of a catastrophe occurring. The Pescador is a good yak.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was the old pelican reputation. Apparently they got a new team in and have resolved those issues. The stigma remains however. But i agree, a seam is just something else to give. If i'm 3 miles out, i want to minimize all chances of a catastrophe occurring. The Pescador is a good yak.
View Quote

I've read those stories about them. I won't be anywhere near that far out in this thing though. Max will probably be 300 yards off shore towing bait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top