Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 6:19:16 PM EDT
Okay, so my idea of fishing involves more drinking that actually setting up my gear, so normally when I'm out, someone else helps pick out my gear.  Anyway I'm trying to buy a reel for my father in law, who lives in AK and mainly will be using this for Red and Kings.  So I need help understanding what the differences in these reels are.  My brother-in-law suggested the Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® Classic C3 Casting Reel, and right next to it is the Abu Garcia® Revo® SX Casting Reel for about the same price.  They look completely different, so what are the differences in the two styles?  Looks like the really big difference is line capacity with the C3 has about double.  They use 25lb test I believe, if that will make any difference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I think the Revo would be to small for a decent sized salmon, since it is only rated for 12lb test @ 160 yards.

I have a couple of the classic ambassadeur reels that have been given to me over the years and they work well for what little I fish for catfish and stripers. If I were going to buy a reel that size to target bigger game fish it would be a Shimano (400)B series Calcutta at $50.00 more than the ABU.

Disclaimer: I have never been Salmon fishing
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The revo probably doesn't have the drag he's want for that application, go with the classic abu for that function.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top