Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2014 8:31:38 PM EDT
I use spinning reels mainly for panfishing, and haven't used the 33 type reel since I was a kid.
Anyway, some friends that like to wade fish and stuff say that they prefer the 33 type reel because of the line twist and rats nest that can happen with spinning reels.
I see Walmart has some Zebco 33s for about $30, and wonder if they are useable. The last one I bought was $15 and got returned because it was shit out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I like their Omega reels but gave up on the regular 33.

They cost a little more but are worth it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
As an adult, the only use I have for spin-cast reels is for Sabiki rigs and kites.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have one as a kid as well, my Dad used nothing but 33s, I used them up until several years ago, never had a issue with them and if you drop them or whatever while wading at least its not a high end rig.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Got to get the platinum 33 to be half way decent.  The rest are junk now.  I ended up getting a couple of the Omega Z03s because I really like the spincast reels for accurately pitching worms.  My rods with the Z03s are what I was mostly using when I took second in a club tournament on the Potomac last weekend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly they are for kids and people who don't fish. If you are planning to fish more than a couple times a year, just stick with the spinning gear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a silver anniversary 33. (1980 vintage IIRC)   That one was very well made.  The new ones are rubbish.

Really the only problem with open faced reels is old line, over filling the line so that it falls off the front, or not spooling up as recommended with the natural curve of the line matched to the direction of the reel wind up.  (most of the bulk spools show you pictures on how to put line on correctly).  

When done right there really shouldn't be any snarl issues on open faced.   Bait casters, yea, to me they're not worth the trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top