Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2013 7:01:09 PM EDT
A buddy of mine is taking us crab fishing at Bodega bay next weekend.  From what i understand we're using rods and crab snares.  School me on this method and what should i know.  

All i own is trout rods so i guess im going to need an upgrade.  

Thanks guys.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 2:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how they do it out in Cali but on the Chesapeake all you need is a piece of string and a chicken neck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure how they do it out in Cali but on the Chesapeake all you need is a piece of string and a chicken neck.
View Quote

This is the way I always did it in NC
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I caught crabs the old fashion way, I was quite a bit inland though......we both were young, she was slightly dirtier then I........first came the wine with the screw off cap, then came the romance, then the passion, then the act, then the itch......
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I caught crabs the old fashion way, I was quite a bit inland though......we both were young, she was slightly dirtier then I........first came the wine with the screw off cap, then came the romance, then the passion, then the act, then the itch......
View Quote

This is a technical forum.

Go pluck the low-hanging fruit in GD.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple snare styles out there.  One is a ring with heavy mono loops on it.  Cast it out and wait.  Try to reel it in and if it is heavy you got one or two.  Second is a clam type snare.  Cast the contraption out and it opens on the bottom.  You can actually feel the crab going in to the snare.  When you get a bite reel it in.  I saw a tv show about the last one, looks pretty cool.  Yes you need a heavy casting pole with heavy line, 50lb or better.   Good luck.  Used to crab Bodega bay in my youth.  We used hoop nets though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same but chicken legs in texas
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ditto
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry, I've never tried that.  Only way I caught crabs was with a trap with some discounted chicken.  This was when I was a teenager chucking crab traps in Toms River, NJ.

I love to hear how you did with the snares if you can recall.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ran 3"chunks of eel on trotlines for decades, but have used necks the last 25-30 years.

ETA: Damn, just hit me, yet again, that ColonelHurtz has passed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top