Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2013 5:40:00 PM EDT
I will be going to New Hampshire next week for a woodworking class, and would like to try some striper fishing in the evenings after class.  Does anyone have any suggestions for what setup would be good to use?  I don't want to spend a lot of money on this right now.
Line weight/test - how much?  Is mono OK or are guys using the spun kevlar lines?   Do you need a shock tippet/leader?
Rod length?  (Minimum)
Reel - min line capacity? I prefer a spinning reel, and if I don't need too much line, might have one that could work.

From what little I've been able to find out so far, the fish shouldn't be the bigger ones yet in May, so hopefully I could get by with just buying a rod.

I was also thinking of taking along my 8 wt fly rod too. That's the heaviest fly rod I have.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
7' medium heavy rod with 4000 series reel. 50# Spiderwire Stealth or 50# PowerPro. No real need for shock leader with stripers. If you think you must use a shock leader then a couple feet of 80# fluorocarbon will get it done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Shakespeare makes or made some nice striper spinning rods.

Try an old Ugly Stik
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
A 8 weight fly rod will be fine for stripers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top