Lowrance Pros:  
Bright color screen (Humminbird is grey scale), slightly higher resolution
Smaller size
I have had great experience with Lowrance products
Built in temp. sensor

Humminbird pros:
Larger screen
2d as well as DS, and you can split screen
Wider cone angle, up to 60 degrees in 2d.  

They are both about the same price.  The worry with the Lowrance boils down to cone angle.  I can't find any info on cone angles, only frequencies (455 khz and 800)  Does anyone know the cone angle or angles the Lowrance uses?

Any opinions on these two units would be appreciated.  I'm putting it on a 17 foot Polar Kraft aluminum utility/fishing boat.  I plan to do lots of trolling, both in shallower water with structure, and in deep water for striped bass.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the Lowrance on my 14' jon boat. It will split screen as well + has a night setting + you can "back scroll" what is off screen. Has several light intensities to adjust for visuals in bright or dark days. Big "L" is a better choice IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got the Lowrance on my 14' jon boat. It will split screen as well + has a night setting + you can "back scroll" what is off screen. Has several light intensities to adjust for visuals in bright or dark days. Big "L" is a better choice IMHO.
View Quote
I'

I went with the Humminbird, and while it is good, I agree that the Lowrance has a better picture.  However, I'm using the conventional sonar 95% of the time, and the Humminbird is outstanding for that.  I'm wishing I'd just gone with one with a bigger screen and no down scan.  It's cool, though, and works well for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a Lowrance Elite 5-DSI with Chartplotter the other day.  Choice was this and the Hummingbird, for me the DSI quality in the Lowrance sealed the deal, well that and I got it for $280
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 561 on my boat and love it.  The ability to split the screen is what sold me. Once it's dialed in its amazing how much detail you can see. Even in grayscale
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 561 on my boat and love it.  The ability to split the screen is what sold me. Once it's dialed in its amazing how much detail you can see. Even in grayscale
View Quote

Talk about bumping an old post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top