Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2012 7:55:41 PM EDT
I did this to my harpoons last week

I was going to send them in to get new lenses as one is cracked and the other is scratched.  Then this happened as I was pulling them off my face like I've done a million times before.

On the website it says that you have to spend $12 for them to even look at them and that lens work/frame work isn't covered under the warranty but they can fix this stuff for a "fee" also they said that they don't offer quotes by phone and I HAVE to send them in first

Anyone done this before and what should I do? I don't want to go trough the hassle of sending them in just to hear "yeah we can't fix these you just need to pony up another $250 for a new pair".

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I did this exact thing to mine about 4 times. Each time I call explain then send them in. Most the time the repairs are free, once I got charged $14.

I do have some extra pull as I am a manufactures rep in the fishing industry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I did this exact thing to mine about 4 times. Each time I call explain then send them in. Most the time the repairs are free, once I got charged $14.

so if i talk to a rep on the phone first, you think theres a better chance of them fixing it for free/cheap?  the fact that they said that they dont give repair quotes over the phone discouraged me
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so if i talk to a rep on the phone first, you think theres a better chance of them fixing it for free/cheap?  the fact that they said that they dont give repair quotes over the phone discouraged me

That is very weird! I have not had a repair done in over a year. But usually they would say it is going to be roughly (blank) amount of dollars. And that was before they knew who I was.

I don't rep Costa any more sadly, or I'd send you a new pair.

I really think it will be worth sending them out. It will be cheaper then a new pair, and if not, then they will discount a new pair greatly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Last year I sent mine back for new lenses and they charged me $30. I doubt that helps in your situation tho.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have returned mine to them for service. It will NOT be free.

it cost me 60$ for them to put a new frame on mine.

I bent one of the temple hinges molded onto the frame and they replaced the whole thing.

In your case; you will need a whole new frame too as you can see. It will be around 60-70$
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
On Floridasportsman.com there's a guy selling new Costas w/ 580 lenses for $150:  http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?66141-Any-model-COSTA-DEL-MAR-580s-150-shipped

I just sent a pair back to Costa for new lenses, they charged me the cost of the lenses ($114.89 for 580 glass).
In your case they'll probably give you a discount on a new pair.
With the deal above, I would just buy new.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On Floridasportsman.com there's a guy selling new Costas w/ 580 lenses for $150:  http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?66141-Any-model-COSTA-DEL-MAR-580s-150-shipped

I just sent a pair back to Costa for new lenses, they charged me the cost of the lenses ($114.89 for 580 glass).
In your case they'll probably give you a discount on a new pair.
With the deal above, I would just buy new.

Cool thanks for the link.  I didn't have time to read through the whole thread but I'm assuming it was determined that he wasn't selling fakes?  That's $100 cheaper than I've ever seen them
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it looks legit.
I will be ordering a pair as soon as the guy gets back to me with the lense colors avail. for the frames I want.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, it looks legit.
I will be ordering a pair as soon as the guy gets back to me with the lense colors avail. for the frames I want.

If you would give us an update when you get them I'd appreciate it
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a pair yesterday.  I'll update when they get here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I received them today.  They're the real deal (at least I'm perfectly satisfied that they are).
They came in a Costa zippered protective case and plain box.  (When I sent my other Costas in for new lenses, I sent them to the the service dept. in a Costa box and they sent them back in a plain box).
The guy's cell #  352 249-8765
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I received them today.  They're the real deal (at least I'm perfectly satisfied that they are).
They came in a Costa zippered protective case and plain box.  (When I sent my other Costas in for new lenses, I sent them to the the service dept. in a Costa box and they sent them back in a plain box).
The guy's cell #  352 249-8765

Glass or plastic lenses ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Glass 580 lenses.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glass 580 lenses.

Nice, thanks. I need to get a pair.Thats 100$ off retail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned over 10 pairs of Costas. I recently had my first bad customer service experience.
I paid to have mine repaired them told my story to someone sponsored by Costas. He gave me a business card with a redemption code for any new Glasses.
I wouldn't wear any other glasses
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have broken/lost about 4-5 pair of costas. 2nd pair is at the bottom of a lake. the last pair I actually took the time to send in to get fixed as they were a gift from my fiancé. they were Man O' Wars with 580 lenses. my little brother came up to shake my hand and bumped his shoulder into my chest, he didn't realize my costas were hangin there on cablz. well both sides snapped right after the hinge towards the temples. so the arms/temples were hanging from the cablz off my chest as I watched the frames/lenses hit the concrete. I sent them in to costa to see what they could do, because ive always heard how "great" their customer service was. well they said they would ship me a new pair for $120(which i thought was bullshit). i also had a pair of fathoms(my first pair of costas) that broke in the same place but only on one side, these were not 580 lenses. my dad sent those in years ago, they wanted $99 to fix them, he told them to shove it since the glasses weren't but $120 new. i have never sent any pair of costas back and got them back for cheap or "free" etc. im now wearing a small ass pair of stringers i got for free from that same brother lol. the hinges are about worn out on these too. Maybe i just have a big ass head and stretch costas to their breaking point. but i keep buying them because they work, or because i am a dumbass idk lol

TL;DR-
1st pair cost $120 new- costa wanted $99 to fix
2nd pair- at bottom of lakes with all my guns
3rd pair cost i think $225-costa wanted $120 to fix
4th pair Free from brother
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top