Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2015 7:14:01 PM EDT
I just finished reading The Borrowed World: A Novel of Post-Apocalyptic Collapse. It's short and ends on a cliff hangar but it is pretty good considering it's a first time author. It flowed well and the editing was decent.

A brief summary:

Jim is a few hundred miles away from home on a business trip when ISIS operatives attack the US infrastructure, essentially disrupting life as we know it. With no electricity, gas, cell phone service, or other modern-day conveniences, Jim must rely completely on himself to get back home to his family. This compelling narrative describes Jim's struggles as society begins to break down, and his family's struggles to maintain the home front until he returns.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just finished it myself. Good read.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Finished it last weekend.  Excellent effort by the author!  So grateful for a plot that wasn't an EMP.  

Honestly though, one of the best of the genre.  I'm so used to poor grammar and editing from these books on Amazon now that it was notable for the fact that I was distracted by a lack of those errors...

I found the plot to be plausible enough that I wasn't constantly trying to pick holes in it, and the characters mostly behaved in believable ways.  Like all of these novels, there were a couple of times where I found myself wondering how all of that material fit in the vehicle or building that was being loaded, but the plot moved along smoothly, so it was quickly put aside.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the name a reference to McCarthy?

Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I read it this week a page or two at a time between my over-abundance of shifts, while I was trying to decompress enough to fall asleep
It was decent enough and worth buying
I'll keep my eye open for any sequels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top