Posted: 4/29/2015 10:35:49 AM EDT
From the author of One Second After:

Dies Irae: Day of Wrath

A short novella, couple of hours' read.

You should read it.

Everyone should.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I read it and thought it was very plausible, frightening, and captivating. I agree: everyone should read it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Great read.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Added to the list
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
How was his other book?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How was his other book?
View Quote

One Second After?

I thought it was great; one of the classic (though it's not that old) TEOTWAWKI/SHTF books.  Probably my second favorite after Lights Out.  Definitely one to put on your list.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Know. Apparently there was another one. Pillars of Light or something. I didn't realize it until I looked this one up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm almost done with Day of Wrath.  It is chilling how relatively easy something like this could be pulled off in the US.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
cool. it's on amazon audible app. Just downloaded it.

So technology!! Much commute entertain!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
So is this the companion piece to "One Second After" (not really a part two)?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a companion to One Second After.  Different scenario plays out.  Very plausible and probable scenario.  Frighteningly easy to do under current administration and immigration policies.

Highly recommended.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Watching the recent national news soon after reading this book is unsettling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it's the best shitty book I've ever read.  And by shitty I mean I was mad, sad, worried and generally all to pieces for a couple of days.

It's NOT a fun book, but it is a book you can learn from, once the "OMFGWTFJH???" wears off.  My buddies at work talked a few things though; there are quite a few points to consider if you want to make a positive impact if something like this should go down.  You can also change the location, venues and scale to something more regionally appropriate, and tabletop it back and forth until you and your group (if so inclined) get a workable response.

But it is a damn fine piece of very plausible fiction.  

Suggest a drink and some time alone after reading.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I was really pissed off after reading it the first time. As a father of four it really hit home. And, as others have said, it could easily happen here.

Well worth a few hours of your time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm immune to spoilers, how about sketching a basic plot outline?

Is it me or is the figure on the book cover making shadow puppet monsters with their hands?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is it me or is the figure on the book cover making shadow puppet monsters with their hands?

View Quote

Coordinated, simultaneous attacks by numerous cells of Islamic terrorists.  Frighteningly plausible.  Made me want to keep a plate carrier, AR and many mags in my trunk.  It's worth your time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I just finished it. A good read.

Quoted:

Coordinated, simultaneous attacks by numerous cells of Islamic terrorists.  Frighteningly plausible.  Made me want to keep a plate carrier, AR and many mags in my trunk.  It's worth your time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I just had it delivered to my Kindle a few minutes ago before finding this thread.

I also pre-ordered the sequel to One Second After which will be out September 15th, One Year After.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One Second After?

I thought it was great; one of the classic (though it's not that old) TEOTWAWKI/SHTF books.  Probably my second favorite after Lights Out.  Definitely one to put on your list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How was his other book?

One Second After?

Good but very, very dark
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good but very, very dark
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How was his other book?

One Second After?

Good but very, very dark

Yeah, he doesn't hesitate to reach in and give the old heartstrings a good hard yank to help get the message across.  And with Forstchen, I think that's really what it is... he seems to be genuinely alarmed at how quickly things would likely break down after a major catastrophe, and his writing is as much an effort to get people thinking about that as it is a way to make money.

If that's true and not just a naive impression on my part, I think he's been pretty successful. I'm sure OSA opened some eyes, and Day of Wrath probably will too... if enough people read it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
DOW was a page turner. Started it on Friday night before beddy-bye and woke up and finished it Saturday morning.  

Now I worry even more.  Things could get out of hand very fast.  The school thing would affect most folks with kids and future grandkids.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I've read a few of his books. Day of wrath is a dark one but well done. Pillar to the sky was more in the sci-fi genre.

One second after was my last favorite book of his, and also plenty dark.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've read a few of his books. Day of wrath is a dark one but well done. Pillar to the sky was more in the sci-fi genre.

View Quote

The sequel, One Year After, will be released tomorrow (9/15)
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll pick it up, mostly because I've read about everything else in the genre, but not expecting greatness...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Watching the recent national news soon after reading this book is unsettling.
View Quote

Especially now with Syrian refugees being imported...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Just downloaded One Year After.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top