Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
good find, added to my wish list
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! Added to my list
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent! Hate that I'll have to wait for it, but added to my wish list as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, very nice!  "One Second After" is just on of those works that sticks with you...  

And I have yet to read "Day of Wrath."

Thanks,

Hking
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear the main character dies from lung cancer ......

:p

Thx for the link.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear the main character dies from lung cancer ......

:p

Thx for the link.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I thought he was blind the whole time?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]

An EMP is a weapon with the power to destroy the entire United States in a single act of terrorism
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

An EMP is a weapon with the power to destroy the entire United States in a single act of terrorism

Did you read the first book?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm about halfway through One Second After now. Pretty gristly reading but about how it would go in that type of disaster. People relying on daily meds die in the first month. Retirement homes turn into houses of death.

Makes me want to go out and buy a couple hundred pounds of dried rice and beans

RS
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm about halfway through One Second After now. Pretty gristly reading but about how it would go in that type of disaster. People relying on daily meds die in the first month. Retirement homes turn into houses of death.

RS
View Quote

Wait until you see what they are eating towards the end.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just preordered it
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

RS
View Quote

Only a couple hundred pounds?

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RS

I know several people that will simply check out if it ever gets that bad. They are of the mindset that it's not worth it.

I used to think that was horrible but now I understand the mentality a little more. I don't think I could give up like that but I understand where they are coming from a little better now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The book hit me pretty hard, when I read it, my daughter had just got dx with Type 1 Diabetes about a year before and grandma just went into a nursing home.

Hard look at reality.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Just finished one second after like 5 minutes ago.  Great book!  Definitely recommending it to people.  Awaiting the sequel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The book hit me pretty hard, when I read it, my daughter had just got dx with Type 1 Diabetes about a year before and grandma just went into a nursing home.

Hard look at reality.
View Quote

I say unashamed that I had tears in my eyes at the end. Haven't picked the book up since.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hard look at reality.
View Quote

Working in a pharmacy and being close to the patients and realizing that 90% of them would be dead within 30 days is really upsetting.
Only 1% seem to have a clue how precarious their situation is.
I only know of one patient who has bothered to get 1 years worth of insulin in rotation and a propane refrigerator keep it cool.
A few more have worked with their doctors to develop eating plans to reduce the amount they need.
Hopefully they will have perfected the artificial pancreas before anything bad happens.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI:  Not sure if it was that way before but Amazon is now excepting pre-orders on the second book.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FYI:  Not sure if it was that way before but Amazon is now excepting pre-orders on the second book.
View Quote

Don't preorder too soon. I did and now the price is $5 cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]
When I preordered it said I get the cheapest price guaranteed. If it drops you'll recieve the lowest price.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder how long it will take to hit Audible?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just did.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Should be shipping soon
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#24]
nice, bump for this!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#25]
waiting for the audible!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Soon my friends.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#27]
This is from the press release for One Year After which goes on sale on Sept 15th:

The story picks up a year after One Second After ends, two years since the detonation of nuclear weapons above the United States brought America to its knees. After suffering starvation, war, and countless deaths, the survivors of Black Mountain, North Carolina, are beginning to piece back together the technologies they had once taken for granted: electricity, radio communications, and medications. They cling to the hope that a new national government is finally emerging.

Then comes word that most of the young men and women of the community are to be drafted into an "Army of National Recovery" and sent to trouble spots hundreds of miles away.

When town administrator John Matherson protests the draft, he's offered a deal: leave Black Mountain and enter national service, and the draft will be reduced. But the brutal suppression of a neighboring community under its new federal administrator and the troops accompanying him suggests that all is not as it should be with this burgeoning government.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Got my shipping confirmation this morning!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Good find! One Second After was a great book. I clicked the link though and can't believe that I can buy the paperback cheaper than the Kindle version. Thats just stoooopid.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got mine from the mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Waiting in Kindle to be read,  I forgot I had ordered it months back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered.  Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just got mine from the mailbox.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Read it today. I didn't like it as much as the first book but a good read nonetheless
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got my shipping confirmation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Just picked it up for kindle. Been looking forward to this for a while.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got it today, hoping to start on it soon
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#38]
It was all right.  I would get it from the library.  Don't think it was worth the hardcover price.  Definitely liked the first one better.  This was more action.  survivors vs govt.  It kept it interesting but I was hoping for more on how the community survived.  It also starts 2 yrs after the Day so there is a gap of a year and I feel that a lot was missed by not writing about that year.  I found myself saying when did that happen a few times.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#39]
first one was pretty good
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Read it yesterday.  It was OK, but not as good as OSA.  Little heavy on the battle aspects and light on the day-to-day survival stuff for my own tastes, but hey, the author is a military historian.  His book, his rules.

Overall just didn't seem to have the depth of OSA, but certainly worth the read for those who enjoy the genre.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Just finished.  Enjoyed it.  Not as dark as the first one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
just ordered it
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Amazon says mine should be here this week.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#44]
The audible version is pretty bad.  The story was OK, but the guy reading it sucked.  I've listened to something else (don't recall what it was) that guy had narrated and it was equally bad.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I enjoyed the audible...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Finding it OK bur certainly not a page turner like...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#47]
It was alright, but not great and certainly not as good as the first one. I can't exactly say why...maybe it felt a little rushed??

And the kindle price was way too much.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#48]
In hand and sitting on my nightstand.  Need to crack it open and get to readin
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:08:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hard look at reality.
View Quote

When I first read it....my golden retriever had recently passed away.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Somewhere in the sequel he mentions that another sequel will be coming out in a "few" months?  (third book)

Anyone know when?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top