Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 6:16:12 PM EDT
I'm looking for apocalyptic fiction books with a military focus, that are FUN to read for a gun guy.  I've been reading John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series, and while its not going to win any awards for writing, it is a hell of a fun series.  SO, I'm looking for recommendations like that.

Zombies are cool, but not a prerequisite.  I am highly spoiled by reading so much Larry Corriea, who is an excellent writer, a gun nut, and is funny.  If I could get Larry Correia to write a novel about the apocalypse and post apocalypse from the standpoint of a soldier (possibly cowritten by Tom Krattman), that would be perfect, but I can't convince him to do it.  I've tried.

The problem with most of what I've read for zombies/fun TEOTWAWKI books is they are either based around a random helpless teenager or Jason Borne, with very little in between.  

Plus, I have the distinct disadvantage of liking to read actual books, not ebooks, which limits an already limited pool of stuff.  

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

PS- if you haven't read Larry Correia's stuff, for the love of God, READ IT.  Start with Monster Hunter International, then move through Dead Six and Hard Magic.  Dude has talent, major talent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
This is an awesome read.  Main character is 'retired' military putting a hurt on Post Apoc. scum.

Assuming you didn't read it when it was posted here.

The Spartans Last March
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Team Yankee is a classic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm...thinking from my collection

The Last Ship obviously has military personnel as main characters
Body Armor 2000,an anthology  edited by Joe Haldeman had primarily military-based stories
Analog sci fi magazine published a collection years ago called War and Peace that had a military focus in most of its stories.
Back in the 50s there was  a poorly written book called Red Alert that followed the crew of a bomber on its last flight
Theres another similar one in my collection along the same lines but I can't think of the title off hand

Heres another one from my collection:
" The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century" edited by Harry Turtledove . That ones fairly recent so you might still find it in a local book store

I might think of more later and will edit  the list if need be.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The Arisen series that Airbrush mentions is pretty good.  I'm through book 4 or 5 now.

DJ Molles has a series out that pretty good also.  It's also zombies.

I've read all of those on the kindle.  I don't know if they're in paperback.

Matt Bracken's stuff is a must read, but not about the military.

Joe Nobody, Angery American,  and John Grit are authors that might interest you as well.

Scott McEwen's "Sniper Elite" stuff is pretty entertaining but not post-apocalyptic.  Kind of like early Stephen Hunter stuff which is another author to check out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything by Angry American. Loved his stuff. Going Home, Surviving Home, Escaping Home, Forsaking home. EMP related.

Survivalism, Ham Radio, guns, tactics. gear. Built my BOB from his. Loved it.

Start Here on Amazon

Day by Day Armageddon
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Arisen series that Airbrush mentions is pretty good.  I'm through book 4 or 5 now.

DJ Molles has a series out that pretty good also.  It's also zombies.

I've read all of those on the kindle.  I don't know if they're in paperback.

Matt Bracken's stuff is a must read, but not about the military.

Joe Nobody, Angery American,  and John Grit are authors that might interest you as well.

Scott McEwen's "Sniper Elite" stuff is pretty entertaining but not post-apocalyptic.  Kind of like early Stephen Hunter stuff which is another author to check out.
View Quote

I bought and read the first one.  Am I the only one that is super bothered by the fact that every third sentence throws out tier-1 and elite?  Over and over and over again how much better they are because they are tier one.  I've worked around (not with, around) a few spec ops guys in my time, and they would never refer to themselves as tier-1 or elite, or even operators.  First of all, the whole tier 1 thing is only a funding classification, not a ranking system.  Call of Duty and Airsoft guys are the ones who made tier-1, operator, ect popular.  I just couldn't get over how many times it is said over and over again.  "I shit with incredible speed because that is what the worlds elite tier-1 operators do"  "Tier-1 guys never this..." "Elite operators from the worlds tier-1 teams always this..."  It kind of ruined the story for me.
I know, I know, I'm picky...  But crap, all it takes is asking someone who has been around or in the military to glance at it before you publish...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Body Armor 2000,an anthology  edited by Joe Haldeman had primarily military-based stories
Analog sci fi magazine published a collection years ago called War and Peace that had a military focus in most of its stories.
Back in the 50s there was  a poorly written book called Red Alert that followed the crew of a bomber on its last flight
Theres another similar one in my collection along the same lines but I can't think of the title off hand

" The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century" edited by Harry Turtledove . That ones fairly recent so you might still find it in a local book store

View Quote

Is the last ship worth reading?  I kind of like the show, other than the fact that the CO leaves the boat or tries to get himself killed at every opportunity.  Fuck, let Jayne off teh boat every once in a while there El Capitan.  I should probably pick that up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is the last ship worth reading?  I kind of like the show, other than the fact that the CO leaves the boat or tries to get himself killed at every opportunity.  Fuck, let Jayne off teh boat every once in a while there El Capitan.  I should probably pick that up.
View Quote

I hear the book is very unlike the show
I haven't seen the show.
I haven't seen anything since TWD season finale

The book was Ok as post apoc books go
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
You must read Flip of the coin
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#11]
A good source of free 'end of the world' stories is

http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been reading the In Her Name series by Michael Hicks Michael Hicks

Has alien invasions, space marines and naval battles.  I started with the free amazon kindle version and ended up buying the rest of the series.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Try Against the Grain from Ian Daniels. No zombie, pandemic, invasion thing, just a good ole collapse scenario with a clued in guy who is fairly relate-able... or at least thats what I was shooting for when I wrote it
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try Against the Grain from Ian Daniels. No zombie, pandemic, invasion thing, just a good ole collapse scenario with a clued in guy who is fairly relate-able... or at least thats what I was shooting for when I wrote it
View Quote

you are the author? Bravo Sir, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#15]
normal

trust me

ETA. I have read all of Larry Correia's Books....they are awesome
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Daemon.

The most interesting apoc type book ive ever read. very well researched with spot on details and tech. Plus it reads like a great actiion movie.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, thats me, and thanks!

When I jumped into the genre (to read) there were only a handful of SHTF books, now, the market has exploded with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Which book is recommended first?

Pillars in the Fall or Against the Grain?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
normal

trust me

View Quote

Thanks to Gary P for the endorsement.

And a shameless plug for the others in the series.  Not specifically SHTF after Normal, but military related.

In order of how they fit in the timeline:

Tales of the Ranch - Operation Eris

Tales of the Ranch - Phoenix Rising

Tales of the Ranch - Seeing Jahannam

Tales of the Ranch - Lonely Bear
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And a shameless plug for the others in the series.  Not specifically SHTF after Normal, but military related.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
normal

trust me

I didn't know you made that many! Time to read, I love Tales of the Ranch!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reviewers say it doesnt really matter which you read first. AtG was the first one I wrote, and it is connected (of course) to Pillars, but the prequel has its own characters and storyline. Either way I hope that once you read one, you'll want to read the other
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's the Star Trek influence on most shows.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
normal

trust me

Neither did I!  This is going to be good!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think that's the Star Trek influence on most shows.  
View Quote

They aren't going to leave the heroic leading character on the bridge and leave the away team to some faceless nameless actor unless it advances a particular episodes storyline
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#25]
-Non Military

Going Home series

Lights Out

One Second After

Deep Winter series

-Main Character is former military

Apocalypse Law series

-Zombie with Military Characters

Day by Day Armageddon series

The Morningstar Strain series by ZA Recht

Also as said above the Against the Grain series

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
normal

trust me

I just finished "Phoenix Rising" .................that shit rocked me. I loved it
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Stephen Knight's books - SF vs zombies yet.

Good stuff, and a little bit of a change from traditional Romero zombies in his stories with some really good military action.  

Unfortunately he hasn't written anything new lately, but what he has out was very entertaining.

No "tier-1" talk for the most part, either, although I am enjoying the Arisen series regardless.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I second and highly recommend the Morningstar Trilogy. You have a zombie infected planet with military guys on a Navy ship who eventually dock and take a trip across half the country and wind up at a research lab trying to find a cure. There is murder and mayhem along the way and a touch of scum bags getting their just desserts. It's well written and an easy read. The author died while writing the third part of the book so it was finished by another writer. The last book was fine but it was not the same as the first two.

Book 1: Plague of the Dead -  The Morningstar Strain

Book 2: Thunder and Ashes  - The Morningstar Strain

Book 3: Survivors - The Morningstar Strain

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.amazon.com/Patient-Zero-Ledger-Novel-Novels/dp/1250043778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414261496&sr=8-1&keywords=patient+zero

Patient Zero, Jonathan Maberry

Terrorists, zombies, uber secret goverment organization. Great action, strong plot with twists and good character development.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Task Force Desperate  by Peter Nealen

Alone, Outnumbered, Outgunned

Jeff Stone and his team of Praetorian Security contractors are marking time on counter-piracy duty aboard a freighter in the Gulf of Aden when the boredom ends abruptly. A major US base on the Horn of Africa is overrun in a well-coordinated terrorist attack, and those base personnel who survive are taken hostage. With the world economy tanked, and most of the Western militaries dangerously thinned, the Praetorian operators find themselves to be the hostages’ only hope of rescue.

The mission wasn’t going to be simple, or easy. But as events in East Africa accelerate, and outside players start to show their hand, the Praetorian shooters start to realize just what a desperate gamble they are embarked upon, and what this particular job is going to cost…

There are currently three books.  I read them in two days.  Very good read set in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by W.J. Lundy
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#32]
John Ringo, The Last Centurion.
Also his Black Tide Rising Series, if you are into Zombies.

Steven Pressfield, The Profession

Hking
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne (Zombie based, but one of the best series I've read)

No Easy Hope series by James N Cook (Zombie based)

The Remaining Series by D.J. Molles (Zombie based)

Going Home series by Angry American isn't bad, a little gear heavy and written from someone who has spent waaaay too much time on internet boards. I'd almost swear it was written by nuttinfancy if I didn't know better. (EMP based)

And then I like the later James Wesley Rawles line. His first 3 were ok, the last 2 were better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Remaining Series by D.J. Molles (Zombie based)
View Quote

Reading book 3 now.
Couldn't find 1 & 2 in the store.
Seems decent.
Raises some interesting questions what you as a national leader would do.
Would you as Acting POTUS abandon entire sections of the nation and the normal survivors still there and condemn your subordinates to death sentences for failing to follow your orders?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm looking for apocalyptic fiction books with a military focus, that are FUN to read for a gun guy.  I've been reading John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series, and while its not going to win any awards for writing, it is a hell of a fun series.  SO, I'm looking for recommendations like that.

Zombies are cool, but not a prerequisite.  I am highly spoiled by reading so much Larry Corriea, who is an excellent writer, a gun nut, and is funny.  If I could get Larry Correia to write a novel about the apocalypse and post apocalypse from the standpoint of a soldier (possibly cowritten by Tom Krattman), that would be perfect, but I can't convince him to do it.  I've tried.

The problem with most of what I've read for zombies/fun TEOTWAWKI books is they are either based around a random helpless teenager or Jason Borne, with very little in between.  

Plus, I have the distinct disadvantage of liking to read actual books, not ebooks, which limits an already limited pool of stuff.  

PS- if you haven't read Larry Correia's stuff, for the love of God, READ IT.  Start with Monster Hunter International, then move through Dead Six and Hard Magic.  Dude has talent, major talent.
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean.

Mountain Hold by Tyler Danann has what you are after in spades but on a more small-unit town militia-slant etc as opposed to federal army rolling in the tanks etc. It's got plentiful more guns and descriptions, a bit of sci-fi, but nothing Interstellar! :)

https://www.createspace.com/4648726

Mountain Hold Trailer
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for The Last Centurion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Reviewers say it doesnt really matter which you read first. AtG was the first one I wrote, and it is connected (of course) to Pillars, but the prequel has its own characters and storyline. Either way I hope that once you read one, you'll want to read the other
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought about writing another in that series?

I remember finding a couple of WTF moments, but I may be misremembering.

TR
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#38]
The Remaining is decent, finished 1 to 3, starting 4 tonight. Feb 15 is release of book 5.

I actually enjoyed the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant, not specifically military, but a good read anyway.

David Crawford- Lights Out is great, Collision Course is good read but not a happy book.

Stephen Hunter- Point of Impact, and the rest of the Bob Lee Swagger books, simply incredible and touches a bunch of ideas.

John Ross- Unintended Consequences, again not specifically military but definitely gun and survival related. MANDITORY reading, but harder to find in hard copy. Lucked into mine, and got an extra for David Crawford.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Arisen book 7- Death of Empires is out now on Kindle, downloaded yesterday but saving it for times of boredom.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

TR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TR

Im just finishing up book three now and while its in editing I will be going back through to find those WTF moments in the other two books and shape them all up correctly how they should've been from the start.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

best I  ever read was al jacta est. Never got to finish it. love to find it again/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top