Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2014 7:28:17 PM EDT
Just want to say, I started reading this yesterday and cannot put it down. I have read the Road, some of Rawels' stuff WWZ and many other survival SHTF books and this is up there near the top. Great read so far. That is all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just want to say, I started reading this yesterday and cannot put it down. I have read the Road, some of Rawels' stuff WWZ and many other survival SHTF books and this is up there near the top. Great read so far. That is all.
View Quote

Excellent book.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent book.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent book.

Agreed.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Excellent book.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent book.

+1

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
good but very very dark
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Gosh, that book has been recommended to me by more people.  It's been on my to-read list for years.

I gotta get on it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Great book, have given a copy to many friends....opened their eyes a bit
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I read One Second After first and that propelled me into more prepping/survival fiction.

If you get through One Second After and like it, look up Lights Out.  
Written by an Arfcommer and it is in the same vein as One Second.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read One Second After first and that propelled me into more prepping/survival fiction.

View Quote

same here, read "patriots" first, then found "one second after".  read patriots several times, one second after only once.

another good series is the a. american "surviving home, escaping home, going home, forsaking home"
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

same here, read "patriots" first, then found "one second after".  read patriots several times, one second after only once.

another good series is the a. american "surviving home, escaping home, going home, forsaking home"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1st prepper book I read was Patriots....,Rawles leaves something to be desired.

The rest are good to go...read thru the A. American books in several days time....last 2 did have a few grammer and name errors but nothing that would interfere with the story.

Give Alas, Babylon a try if you have not read it yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I found an online copy of One Second After.  I'm trying to read it but I'm about to stab my eyes out trying to follow the character interaction and sentence structure.  Was any of this corrected for the actual book?

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I found an online copy of One Second After.  I'm trying to read it but I'm about to stab my eyes out trying to follow the character interaction and sentence structure.  Was any of this corrected for the actual book?  
View Quote

It "could of" used some editing in the final version.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is by far the best book out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked One Second After. First read was Light's Out, and that's my favorite. Afterwards, read A.American series, which is next favorite. Editorial errors perturbed me in later books, but story still engaging.

Read The Patriot, which was just OK for me. No desire to read other titles. Now reading Equipping Modern Patriots by Jonathan Hollerman, which so far into chapter 10 is pretty good.

Will order and read Alas, Babylon now. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#14]
lights out is BETTER
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alas Babylon was one of the first. Written in the late 's at the height of the Cold War. It is a little dated from the perspective of what we know now about the results of nuclear war. it's still a good read and ranks among the classics of the genre.

I read it in the late 70's at a time when many didn't believe the human race would make it to the turn of the century. Thankfully, we were wrong about that. I hope we are just as wrong about where humanity is headed right now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Great book.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have it on my Amazon wishlist, but money is tight right now :/
Don't know when I'll be able to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Alas Babylon was one of the first. Written in the late 's at the height of the Cold War. It is a little dated from the perspective of what we know now about the results of nuclear war. it's still a good read and ranks among the classics of the genre.

I read it in the late 70's at a time when many didn't believe the human race would make it to the turn of the century. Thankfully, we were wrong about that. I hope we are just as wrong about where humanity is headed right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is still important from the "prepare for everything" stand point...as well as reminders of what to and not to purchase....ex. freezer full of meat that would go bad without alternative preservation and what they did NOT buy that would have made life a little easier or and alternative to it...such as when they are out of matches and are having to keep a fire going constantly because they would not have been able to start it up again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get it from the library
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,  it set the standard and imo, only one second after has approached it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#22]
One Second After and Lights Out are my all time favorites.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OSA is nothing but a modern day version of it really.

both deal with lack of supplies..health issues-death...community working together etc.

both main characters have issues...one likes his drink...the other likes his cigs....

dont get me wrong. OSA is a good read,,,but anyone who hasnt read AB needs to....it helps show what folks did before 24 cu. ft freezers and flat screens.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone post up the list.

I have read all these listed so far.

Also all of Matt Brackens  Enemies Series.

All good books .
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Someone post up the list.

I have read all these listed so far.

Also all of Matt Brackens  Enemies Series.

All good books .
View Quote

not a fiction but he has one.. im reading max velocitys "contact" 2nd addition. not bad..so far.

his fiction is patriot dawn iirc.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]

I just finished this book.  Well written and entertaining.  Gives the LEO's response to a large scale EMP attack in a large city.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#27]
just finished reading this one after all the recommendations on here. a quick read, pretty eye-opening. looking forward to Lights Out next.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I read it in less than a week, could not put it down. It was the first such book of this type I have read. I am getting light out next.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Why is there such a following for this book?  I read it a couple weeks ago.

The plot is so light an elementary school kid can follow it.  Granted its a really short book so I didn't expect a lot of development, but still.

If you were ever In the military or Boy Scouts you are automatically a really good person and more likely to survive.

The rest of the stuff is painfully obvious.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why is there such a following for this book?  I read it a couple weeks ago.

The plot is so light an elementary school kid can follow it.  Granted its a really short book so I didn't expect a lot of development, but still.

If you were ever In the military or Boy Scouts you are automatically a really good person and more likely to survive.

The rest of the stuff is painfully obvious.
View Quote

Just finished this book.  I liked it, but I do agree that I wish more story happened.

I think it isn't "painfully obvious" to everyone.  Not everyone has done the mental arithmetic of "what if" transportation+electric grid shut down for a year.  Yes, it follows that lots of people would run out of meds, food, and be stranded, but this spells it out clearly.  Treat this book as a primer to get people started on thinking about preparing specifically for an EMP type disaster, not as a high fiction novel or as a non-fiction "how to" book for preparedness.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
lights out is BETTER
View Quote

I respectfully disagree.

One Second After dealt with a lot more harsh reality than Lights Out.

Much more realistic in my mind.  
Lights Out borders on Hollywood at times, way too much "and in comes the cavalry to save the day at the last second"
It's also very obviously written by a gun guy.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.

Lights Out borders on Hollywood at times, way too much "and in comes the cavalry to save the day at the last second"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lights out is BETTER

I respectfully disagree.

I agree.  Lights out was a lot of fantasy or the guy was the luckiest man alive.  I very much enjoyed it but I don't think it was a view of what life would be like post EMP.  I think that One Second After was much more realistic given the scenario.  Even then I think they were lucky in that they were able to organize quickly and at least get a system and a plan.  They were also a fairly small town where people knew each other and still had a sense of community.  I am interested to see what his sequel has to offer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I read one second after in one sitting, shortly after my first child was born. I read it once and gave it to a friend because I knew I'd never read it again. I'm a little ashamed to admit that the book made me cry twice.  It was definitely eye opening when compared to most of the other survival fiction that floats through here because it's not Hollywood. (I've read most of them, and I think cold camp is one of my favorites)  It's gritty in a realistic way that hit home for me for some reason and made me think about my own preps and family situation.

I'm not sure I'll read the sequel, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I agree.  Lights out was a lot of fantasy or the guy was the luckiest man alive.  I very much enjoyed it but I don't think it was a view of what life would be like post EMP.  I think that One Second After was much more realistic given the scenario.  Even then I think they were lucky in that they were able to organize quickly and at least get a system and a plan.  They were also a fairly small town where people knew each other and still had a sense of community.  I am interested to see what his sequel has to offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lights out is BETTER

I respectfully disagree.

In my opinion, OSA is a better example of things that would happen, with the possible exception of the army of Satanic Cannibal bikers, but Lights Out works good in stringing tips and ideas and items to prep together in a story in a way that you can stand read more than just lists and manuals.

I've had a couple friends read OSA as a way to wake them up to just how far south things can go, then Lights Out and sometimes Alas, Babylon to help them consider how to being prepared and organized to be able handle such events is possible and a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting... the web site for One Second After  (here) says:
"Currently in development with Warner Bros. as a major motion picture."

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#36]
The sequel is coming out September 15, 2015 according to Amazon.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#37]
This is one of my favorite reads.  I bet I have read it 4-5 times now and have loaned my copy to several family members who all enjoyed reading it.  I look forward to the sequel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#39]
One Second After was a good book, and provides a lot of ideas as to how things could go.

As others have stated, Lights Out is a good read also. I've been reading it again this week for the 3rd time.

For those who have not had a chance to read Day of Wrath by Forstchen, it's an eye opener. Be prepared to be pissed off.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One Second After was a good book, and provides a lot of ideas as to how things could go.

As others have stated, Lights Out is a good read also. I've been reading it again this week for the 3rd time.

For those who have not had a chance to read Day of Wrath by Forstchen, it's an eye opener. Be prepared to be pissed off.

View Quote

I almost wish he'd sacrifice the $ and put that story in the public domain, to be copied and distributed at will.  People need to think about that scenario... more timely now than ever.

Arf thread on it is here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Read it some years ago, enjoyed it for the most part, maybe a 6 on a scale of 10. I have a hard time reading novels (much prefer nonfiction), so it says something that I was able to get all the way through it.

The entire audiobook is on Youtube, I've downloaded it but haven't listened to it yet. From the snippets I've listened to I don't think I'm going to like the narrator's voice, sounds like the announcer for a mattress sale commercial. Seems to be a problem with a lot of audiobooks.

Quoted:
Interesting... the web site for One Second After  (here) says:
"Currently in development with Warner Bros. as a major motion picture."

View Quote

Cool. I like movies much better than novels. Hopefully they'll do a good job with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top