Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 84
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahh, I knew there had to be more to the 2 of them. Just felt right.
Great update. Bring it on !
I'm in DCB, I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Loving this story so far!!!! Been reading it in my spare time non stop for 3 days now, I'll definitly buy a copy when it's done.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
After a few days of sneaking some time here and there to read this epic I've finally caught up.  All I can say is that I'm hooked.

DCB your voice echos the thoughts(in a much more eloquent and entertaining way) of many in this Brave New World in which we now live.  Keep on keeping on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

--PFunk you are not surprised that the Tim/the Tim's of this world, are sharp only
in their domain/comfort zone.  Only without real competition.  Not to say
there is no murderous talent there.  Of course there is.
But terror works until you run into a real pro or the rare natural talent, with
some training.  That would be who shall not be named Binary.... Tim against
talent?  Tim not terrifying, just arrogant. And unprepared.

View Quote

Very true, well said DC.

In my experience the person posturing and making all the noise; the bully; the guy trying to look like a badass, is never the one to worry about.

The real threat is the person watching and calculating; attempting to conceal their true intentions. The person trying to appear unassumimg as they read you and the situation.

Thankfully, I've only come across a few of those with ill intent; those are the truly dangerous advesaries. In my observation, most of that mindset are disciplined, and honor bound. They're the ones that stand in the gap for those victimized by the bullies. They are the soldiers......and sometimes the soldier's sons.

Obviously Tim is a bully. He was a real badass when dealing with scared teenage girls, but short work for a committed girl with some training, and a simple plan.

Just curious, and I'm sure the answer will soon be revealed; did Bi, like the Deputy, sharpen the muzzle of her revolver? Great minds think alike, and Tim couldn't comprehend why there was "so much blood." Hours after reading the chapter, I found myself considering the possibilities. It was an interesting thought to ponder.

Well played. Your knowledge of human behavior, the mindset and behaviors of the honorable and dishonorable, adds a depth of realism and authenticity to the story.

Great work. Keep on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I started this months ago, then lost interest because the updates were so slow in coming.  

Now that I've caught up again, I have to say that this is the most interesting/entertaining read I've had in a long time.  Right up there with the best.

I'm torn between wanting more background on she-who-was-binary, and Mary Elizabeth, and a few other characters--and thinking your pacing is perfect the way it is.  Probably best the way it is.  Leave us wanting more.  

And leave plenty for the sequel(s)!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
How many of you remember the Ketchup commercial  "Anticipation is making me wait"
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DaveSpud:
...and thinking your pacing is perfect the way it is.
View Quote

It's not pacing, it's a heartbeat.  Strong and steady.

But yeah...sounds good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#8]
It looks like Tim is in a bit of trouble. I just hope that Bi isn't one of those characters that in the movies I end up frustrated with because they don't just shoot the guy now and end up having to deal with him again later.

It seems that her crew may be a bit more professional than that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RadioHack] [#9]
I'm looking forward to the initial confrontational meeting of Bi and Mary Elizabeth, two different approaches to the same moral conclusion.  They are too differently similar to smoothly get along at first until they peel off the layers of ego to get down to a working relationship.

Archetypes and arrogance, egos’ and existential loyalties (the inkle’s choice of body staining) makes for very interesting esoteric attachments. When it comes down to it, blood and true fidelity are synonymous and I believe it will lead to interesting alliances in this tale. Clans have never been strictly of blood lines, but of allegiance and honour, commitment and proof of action. Outsiders are permitted into Celtic clans, but you have to prove you’re family first.

To wrap this up  -

“A good friend will always stab you in the front.”
- Oscar Wilde

But this one also makes personal sense since I seem to be throwing quotes in every comment -

“Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.”
- Oscar Wilde
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]

GENERAL NOTE: All semi-well my side.  Writing/thinking/commenting time cut to the bone

last two weeks.  Should get back up to speed in a few days.  We're at about 100k words,

looking at 115-120k and done.  Much appreciate patience of all here.

Comment on comments and update as soon as possible.

DCBourone
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:36:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KOW] [#11]

GENERAL NOTE: All semi-well my side.  Writing/thinking/commenting time cut to the bone
last two weeks.  Should get back up to speed in a few days.  We're at about 100k words,
looking at 115-120k and done.  Much appreciate patience of all here.

Comment on comments and update as soon as possible.

DCBourone
View Quote

Semi-well?  Everything in real life okay?  Or is writing becoming a grind?

By the way I just went back to look at your original post, congratulations on keeping this going for over a year!! Fantastic accomplishment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]

--KOW, 'tone' difficult on the interwebz, although very well managed here, by you and all.

"Writing" no more difficult than usual.  Am not a 'natural' writer.  Very much understand the concern of all

here that I/this story/voice will 'disappear.'  Very unlikely.  Pretty much impossible, short

of asteroid hit.  Have been planning this/this story/these stories/this lifestyle/all compromises

for many years.  Have about 2,000,000 words, or twenty plus 100k books/stories blocked out/

blueprinted, from Soldier's Son all the way through to the world of "The Listening Room"/"Wet

or Dry."  Contemporary events will be fit in over the years, as observed.

Difficulties/restrictions are normal stuff: a stunning woman, an ailing parent, a past life, deconstructing...

Life.

I am in general, fortunate.

But life intrudes, on occasion.

And the stories themselves, are done with tweezers by candlelight.

GENERAL NOTE:  somebody Kindle/KU/borrowed five copies of Injured in about three hours, last night.

Please speak to us, if convenient, or allowed.  Have no idea who and why, but very grateful.  If you make

it to us, the footnote to Injured and Soldier's Son will be found here.  The other members here are doing

what I simply do not have the time to do: filling in the empty spaces, expanding, explaining, illuminating.

If I had the time, all stories would be illuminated manuscripts, bound in leather, embossed with silver, hard

spines of ebony or mother-of-pear.  We shall see.  I am mostly physical, and enjoy working with my hands.  Might

make a real book or two, someday.

Good to see you KOW and all.

Much appreciate the prompt (s) KOW and all.

Will reply all comments and have update as soon as possible.

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space, across the fourth dimension, of time..."

( Kindle Single Injured Reserves ) Thank you, Designated Marksman

Ok back to work.

DCBourone

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
DC  are you results oriented or journey oriented ?

I just realized that when spending time doing things with my recently deceased father he liked the act of doing the thing we
we were doing together whereas I enjoyed being done with the projectand liked the sense of aaccomplishment. So we never really connected in his later years.

My advice to you is if you haven't already figured it out is to determine what you like most about writing  and embrace it. Maybe  that will  help
it flow better for you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KOW:
DC  are you results oriented or journey oriented ?
View Quote

I'm obviously not DC.

But from what he has said here the intent appears to be a set of stories containing a framework for those who identify with the idea of the 'essential man'.

Injured is the...errr...anchor?  The edda the rest of the stories will orbit.

The 'good' players will not be...well...George Washington.  But they will seek to be like him in their own spheres.

It makes me chuckle to think what GW would have thought to meet miss Code.

"You seem...ardent, in your faith in our first documents!"

The man is weaving a very complicated tapestry, I hope, I suspect the end of at least 5 stories already exist...and the 'work' here is correctly connecting them.

And now I will hope DC doesn't run me through with a lance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#15]
UPDATE FOLLOW COMMENTS:

General Note: much appreciate the patience here.  No possible thanks.
But...thanks.

Now stepping back almost twenty days, an eye blink and a century...

Comments on comments, and hoping I am not missing anyone:

--Grywlf52, Tim will wish he had been shot in the head.  Thoroughly scullfucked.
Yes he will.  But his continuing education and entrapment will be our continuing
education.  Not often you get to study a sociopath.

--Lungbuster, on Vitter's Cove, this is the salt of the earth, and all that we have lost.
Bless your ancients, and their memories.  You are the vehicle of their memories.
Absent memory we are nothing.  Please fill in the empty spaces here, when I am absent.
Good ffing job, Lungbuster.

--airsix--"I miss being a kid..." Innocence is gone. It will not be recovered.  A handshake
someday, airsix..

--KOW, much thanks for your continuing patience.  On writing: I have no choice.

--and BLG, early reader, much thanks. I am executing a multi-decade plan.  Let's see
how it works out  You have a first row seat.

--Ef4Life, very pleased to see you. Squat around the fire.  You see you brothers here?

--45Stops, I'm just doing what all of you would do, with more time to choose time and place.
Very hard to make the time.

--Pfunk, on your intuition, in this narrow world of exceptional and trained readers, you routinely
step into the world of of the 'spoiler.'  No harm, no foul, PF.  But step lightly?  As you recall
the evolution of this story, and all stories to follow, you will find a significant element of design?
Trust me: I will answer your questions.  Or die trying. On turning all hand held weapons into impact
weapons: do it.  Good job and good eye, PF.

--DaveSpud, good to see you.  Many long beats here on deep history, in the story and in the comments.
Background on all primary characters will be forthcoming, this installment and for the next twenty
years, short of asteroid hit.  Wath Binary closely.  She is our libertarian friend.  She is not us.  But
her suspicions are ours.  She is low-hanging fruit.  We must make her our friend  Maria Elizabeth is
already our friend.

--Trapshooter12, on 'making me wait"--I have a number in my head for when I can do this full time.
You will wait less, Trap. I can and will extend this view of our world until we are all dust.  Many years
setting up this life, with all compromises.  This is not a trivial pursuit.  I am not a hobby writer.
Good to see you always, Trap.

--stimpsonjcat, we are thoroughly cured, you and me.  Heartbeat, yes, pretty ffing durable.
Durability is a science.  I like science.  Have a few Imbels for you to arrange, someday.
I see the handshake.  My SO watches your videos.  Well done, ST.  Better than me.
This will be a long conversation, ST.

--DFARM, on Binary, like all the readers here, you could step into the domain of spoilers...like,
right now.  Binary is tough, but she is not a killer, yet.  She will be someday.  Very hard
for women to kill, because they always see their children, first.  Absent a culture of perpetual
war, women kill only in defense of their children, right now.  On the other hand, watch
the Pesh Merg ladies of Kurdistan.

--Radiohack, we know each other pretty well now.  On Binary and Maria, as a deep reader
you are well into spoiler territory here.  Quiet, Radio.  ( a wink goes here...)  On clans,
and Oscar Wilde...well said.  Nuff said at this time.  A handshake someday, Radio.

--KOW, very perceptive, writing is always a grind, the perfect is always the enemy of the
good, and the enemy of the timely.  The proof of my intention cal only be observed from
the future, looking at the past. I am trying to establish a multe-decade career here.
We shall see.  But you have a really good read on the process...and I am not process driven.
Result driven.  You already know that, and can fill in the blanks.  FFFing good eye, KOW.

--stimpsonJ, yes, Injured is the anchor.  Injured is the only thing I will ever accomplish
to my own satisfaction, and the satisfaction of the Gehrs.  The eddaa?????  Good eye, St.
For the rest, I will never have the time.  The lance?  Probably not, ST.  Best look into the
deep future, you will cut and
crown
--text removed .re epub tos etc.------

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Binary should have punched Tim's ticket.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]
A hardening soldier's daughter and her Intel network set to join sides with a family of fearless warriors. Interesting.

Great update!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Terrific. I can't  wait to see Tim's end
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By 45ProCarry:

Binary should have punched Tim's ticket.
View Quote

I agree and disagree with you on that. From the perspective of a character in the story:  Absolutely Tim is complete evil and no good will come from him existing in a wold with little or no law.  From a reader's perspective:  I am certain that he will continue to provide interesting problems for our heroes, and therefore entertainment for all of us here.

Anyone else thinking that poor old Fernando is about to have a REALLY bad day?

Thanks for the update DC!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
In one of my earlier post I was wondering about Fernando thinking that DC forgot about him. The thinking on my part was that he was a good cartel soldier but apparently he is not. Maybe after getting their ass shot off that he figured discretion it's the better part of valor. Until Tim finishes with him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally posted by DC:

"you routinely step into the world of of the 'spoiler.' No harm, no foul, PF. But step lightly?"

Roger, I'll go take a spin in the Miata now.

I really like the impact weapon angle. Doesn't work wonderfully with a Glock, but it works.

The computer nerd angle is an interesting one. I'd never really considered them, period; in my mind I've always pictured some fat, sickly, mama's boy playing Wizards and Warcraft, or whatever the hell they play, in mom's basement. In reality, computer hacking skills (Napoleon Dynamite voice) could prove essential in many scenarios. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Maybe 'll go make some friends at the PC repair place?  Star Trek convention?  Fedora shop?  I'm not sure where those types hang out. Once I find them, I'm pretty sure I can go deep cover in the tactical Miata. I'll take off the truck nuts and put a Dr. Who phone booth sticker on the trunk lid...... In like Flint.

Good post, keep on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Great post, getting interesting
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I appreciate the front row seat DCB. Wouldn't want to miss this.
   Hmm, warriors daughter, I think just resolved something in her "wet computer", and made a determination of a direction. Bi should have saved ol' Tim and fed him to the womens famlies whose lives he destroyed. They would have extracted some measure of revenge, fruitless in the long term but satisfying.
(REVENGE IS MINE, SAYETH THE LORD) like the "troops" you had backing up Bi. Will we see more ? Hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#25]
So, I may be a little lost, but I went back and re-read some of the earlier installments, so I think I found a continuity error, or it's just something that we haven't been told about yet.

"Michael Gehr and his wife Maria Elizabeth Gehr attend the San Antonio Council for the Arts…” The picture was dated June 4, 1989 in an elegant hand, inscribed across the lower border."

in the update from 6/9/14,on page 15 we are led to believe that Maria is Michael's sister.

There is another spot where silvia is using the restroom in a shell station, and the story says "skirt down" and it was mentioned a couple of times while she and Brian were walking around the Gehr facility that she was wearing pants.

Sorry for bringing up old things, or maybe noticing something that I shouldn't have (spoiler?)

Thanks again for the story.  It's hard to believe that this has been around for a year.  

I am still looking forward to being able to purchase the book, either a digital copy, or, preferably a signed hard copy.  I am finding lately that I favor hard copies of things.  I have even started hand writing letters and sending them via snail mail lately, just to practice what seems to be a dieing art in this age of face time, texting and emails.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

I am still looking forward to being able to purchase the book, either a digital copy, or, preferably a signed hard copy.  I am finding lately that I favor hard copies of things.
View Quote

I'd like to get in on this too; I also prefer tangible reading material. Is there possibility of an Ar15.com pre-order event? I can pay with cash, bullets, beer, good advice; name it. Money would be easiest though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:29:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#27]

Comments on comments follow below--

General Update:  All is well.  Doing a light of editing, extending time line, overlapping

characters.  Next two books, and three, if I can write fast enough ( we shall see ) are

Librarian acolytes/soldiers doing necessary things.  The Librarians, with the Gehrs

as the functional/technical leaders, have established smaller versions of the Gehr

ranch/library/refuge across/through the "L" that runs down the Rocky Mountains and through

the south.  And they have a keen eye for talent.  Oddly, the book I will most enjoy

writing, if their is such a thing, is book three/or four, which takes place in Africa:

a Librarian recruit who is trying to commit suicide by elephant, and is brought

back into the fold.  The fourth book returns to the Gehr Ranch/Billy/Maria/Pop Gehr/Lou

Parson.  I figure in about a year or two contemporary events will have made a

sufficient contribution of material for a return to Texas.

Comments on comments:

--45Pro, yes she should have closed him out.  But she is young yet, and killing

would be a big step for her.  But assume that two years from now she will have

a big list of Tims, and those Tims won't do so well.

--2T2, yep Binary is on her way to visit the Gehrs.  The bones of her plan will be

seen in the next installment.  This is something she has thought quite a bit about:

How To Approach a Castle, Without Getting Shot, and so on.  She's going to

pretty much nail it.  You will get to see the Approach.  Already written, needs

editing.  About ten thousand words away, at the end of this book.

--TacticalPenguin, Tim is going to get squeezed, and squeezed, and squeezed.

But I hope I have a surprise or two about Tim and his fate, and what his

real purpose might be, and how he will be used.

--Greyguy, splitting the difference on Tim, there is another Binary who would

have shot him and put him in a burn pile.  A harder, tougher girl.  But not

this Binary.  And to the extent fiction reflects reality, the world is full of Tim's.

And some of them do pretty well.  Some of them die in a hotel in Paris at

eighty, laughing their asses off, blasted on champagne, whores, and coke.

So, hopefully some surprises on the evolution of Tim.  And from my point

of view, he is indeed incredibly useful.  Oh yeah, and Fernando is ffffed.

These are 'pride' societies, and bosses can't have underlings snickering,

and telling stories.

--zoe17, thanks for keeping the faith.

--Trapshooter, yes on Fernando, many of the comments here, perceptive

as they are, trip into the world of spoilers.  If this story were read as

a seamless whole, the prick of consciousness that say "what's going to

happen", from the author's point of view, serves as the 'set-up' and

the solution to the set-up, is the reveal.  Do this well enough and

the reader's interest is captured.  I"m hoping Fernando's disposition

will answer your prompt in a satisfactory manner.

--PFfunk, good to see you.  Yep the observations/speculations of careful

readers can not help but stray into spoiler territory.  No harm no foul PF.

On the impact weapon/revolvers, yep, and last thing I would ever wish

is a glock/1911/other debate, but 1911 aside from excellent trigger has

weight/mass and a slide which can be locked by the safety.  Worst

case, a pretty good bludgeon and eye socket/other punch.  A social

gun, in other words, not a war gun, where weight and capacity are

at a premium.  Might also be some utility in frame-mounted

lights for insuring no slide out of battery in contact shots.  The

nerd angle is something I've been watching for quite a few years.

A know a few young tech wizards, and their natural intelligence

and the rigors of science make some conclusions inevitable, to a

few, not all.  Talent is where you find it.

--ny15, good to see you, and appreciate you keeping the faith.  Another

10-15K words to go.  Then book two...three...four...five...

--BLG, if Binary had the means, there would be a trial, and a hanging.  

But she does not.  Hopefully over many books we get to see her grow.

She is not a 'primary' character--like Maria or Billy or Pop Gehr, but

I hope to make her a 'constant' character.  Same same Byron York,

Lou Preston, Brian Distrop.

--DFarm, on continuity/Maria/etc., no, you picked up on something

I will have resolve carefully in the reader's mind.  I have a family

tree for the Gehrs, which, um, is fairly elaborate, and which would

hardly fit the conventions of a 'novel'--Briefly: Pop Gehr is famous

for his serial marriages to three sisters of the same family.  The

Family Velasquez.  The Maria Elizabeth in the picture "Maria Elizabeth

Gehr" is "Maria Elizabeth VELASQUEZ Gehr"'s mother.  The picture

I believe is 198o-something?  It will be adjusted to account for

Maria's present age, 30 or maybe a bit over.  Have to be careful

here: I do not want to 'date' this story too much, by age/events,

so that if it gets legs a reader a few years from now won't go

oh all this happened a really long time ago....and so on.  Good eye,

DFarm.  Keep it coming.  I've got a couple of mistakes in the

deep months ago that I haven't fixed yet on this board,

and may never, just to show anyone with a forensic interest

what happens in edit.  DFarm, on Hard Copy Book, see next

--PFunk, DFarm, and all, on issue of hard copy book: almost certainly at some

point.  In the realm of Too Much Information: Amazon/createspace sub-

optimal.  Separate/discrete accounting for all things writing, therefore

e-book sales must pay for personal/local printing of hard copy to

my satisfaction.  Amazon/all/other ebook sales general HOLD

SALES REVENUE FOR TWO MONTHS before author gets paid.

I have absolutely no idea how this book/books will do, or

how long it will take me to make a living at this.  I also

know with absolute certainty, that someday I will make

a living at this.  But market is the market, and somewhat

unpredictable.  There are authors writing derivative garbage

making excellent livings, there are others, far more talented

who make ten dollars a day.  There are women writing

shapeshifter/werewolf/rape pornography making 50,000.00 dollars

A MONTH, thats right 50K A MONTH.  Right now Injured Reserves

makes not quite three dollars a day.

Maybe I should write pornography???

Short form: a hard copy someday.  When?  ASAP.

I do well...? Six months?

Ok, back work.

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of
space, across the fourth dimension, of time..." (DCBourone Injured
Reserves) Much thanks, DesignatedMarksman...
Ok.
Back to work.

--

--

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Maybe I should write pornography???

View Quote

That would give the Gehr family "lance" new meaning......
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#29]
A soldier's daughter.......  hmmmm.......

I like where this is going......  Hard and smart.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the latest update, DCB. It's a good one.

I have appeared absent, but I keep the receiver tuned in. I won't always post, but I'll always listen.
Recently back from a trip. Best part was reading Unbroken and re-reading Injured Reserves.

While on foreign soil recently the question was asked
<airsix>"Why are there checkpoints?"  (The question was a test. I know the answer.)
<local> "Checkpoints keep us safe."
<airsix> "How do they keep us safe?"
<local> "They keep us safe." [spoken now with a hint of fear]
The conversation was steered back to casual topics and the other party brightened right up and relaxed.
Twice more over the course of  an hour's conversation I inserted a test question related to individual liberties and each time the reaction was the same.

It's sad to see people who shelter behind and also fear their keepers. Like victims of domestic abuse.
And I know it's happening here too.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Watching Baltimore burn last week reminded me of this story.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#32]
UPDATE FOLLOWS COMMENTS:

--Lungbuster, Yep, if this doesn't work?  Porn it is!  ( Well...probably not )

On the other hand, imagine this: if popular culture is the only

medium available to circumvent the cultural gate-keepers, imagine

an erotica series, with this distinguishing feature--the heroine

is 'one of us' in some critical habits.  Nah.  Can't do it.  But

someone will.  Or already is...

--grywlf52--yep, a soldier's daughter.  Modeled substantially on a tech acquaintance

of mine some time ago.  I watch the libertarian 'left' very very closely.

They are getting pretty damned antsy, some of them.

--airsix, good to see and, um, travel safe.  The number of places in the world

I would be willing to return to is diminishing by the day.  And while there

is A Great Fist Descending, we still enjoy more freedoms here than anywhere

else, except perhaps Switzerland.  Have some Euro/other friends who simply

can't wrap their brains around what, and how much, we are still allowed to

own here.

--Warhawk, I don't have to look far to see many versions of a very un-good

future.  I will keep beating this drum: we are seeing The Owners prepare

for 'the end of work.'  Post Civil War, when the U.S. was still industrializing,

we had a huge giant successful black middle class, and that in an age of

institutional racism.  Have a bunch of acquaintances, and one friend, who

is a super techie.  His/their job is to put everyone, including themselves,

out of work.  There is no economic model for a world in which productivity

increases accrue to a perpetually diminishing number of people.  International

capital used the Chinese/Third World labor as 'the robots' first.  Now

they are working on the real thing.  The buggy whip to tire factory analogy

does not work here, or in the future.  Nuff said

at this time.  And...

OH YEAH--over a year ago when I was blocking out story lines, Book Two,
which is "The Orangutan," trying to get Gehr Waffenfabbrik from Dallas,
becomes severely distracted by some of our home growns/hadji pets
who are doing what just happened last night about oh, twenty milesvv
from me.

--DFARM, a late and belated notice that you noticed some super micro-detail
on Sylvia's wardrobe--must fix this and others on edit.  Good ffing eye,DFarm.

-----TEXT REMOVED 01042019 RE EPUB TOS ETC.----

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#33]
You would update right before shift change. Now I have to fight with myself not to try reading this as I drive home.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#34]

--BigDam, good to see you.  Still logged in.  Just grabbing time when

I can.  And no reading while driving!  Just broke 100,000 words clean.

Trying to pick up the pace, no luck so far.  Very encouraging to see

your post/prompt, BigDam.  Much thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#35]
DC, thanks for the update. Keep up the great work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Excellent update, thank you sir.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#37]

We kind of knew the meeting was coming...I like the method.

"Hiding in plain sight"
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Bi is indeed one smart lady to figure out the maps thing. The carpenter family seems very capable. Great update DCB, and the one word I've seen many who peruse on this spot on the wsbz,,,,,  MOAR !  LOL ( Sorry no bird this year, maybe the fall season ? ).
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Great work, looking forward to more
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#40]
Couldn't resist...

Your chance to play Bi...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ny15:
Great work, looking forward to more
View Quote

Seconded
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Couldn't resist...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/337-St.-George-and-the-Dragon-qar15.jpg

View Quote

Well played....
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#43]
And it just gets better with each chapter
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriumphRider] [#44]
Stimpy,

That is awesome!

And so was that update!  Thanks, DCB!

TriumphRider

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TriumphRider:
Stimpy,

That is awesome!

And so was that update!  Thanks, DCB!

TriumphRider

View Quote

TU

It really needs a  'FU Arock' hidden in it to be epic.  I didn't have the daylight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Comments, not in the proper order:

Trying not to spam my own thread, but seriously and pleasantly provoked by--

--StimpsonJ, you found an engraving/print of the actual Boehm St. George.  Just

ffffing awesome, ST.  The actual statue can be found here:

http://www.carolewilkinson.com.au/dragontour/photos/statelibrary-1-fullsize.jpg

--and elsewhere.  The Gehrs would have modified this statue to turn the dragon/lizard

on his back, as he pulls his way onto the spear with his claws.  This is a critical

sub-motif in the Deep History of the Gehrs: they know that the dragon is so desperate

to destroy St. George, that it hastens it's own death, by pulling itself onto

the weapon of it's destruction.

--I have seen this version of the statue, on a desk in Europe, cannot find it on

the net, or I would provide a link.

--zoe17, good to see you as always.  Waiting for you to bring us a pungent

observation.  On your own time, zoe17.

--Designated, and thank you, and you know why.

--StimpsonJ, much thanks across the board.  And 'hiding in plain sight' yep.

On edit will place a few comments from Sam the Tech Weenie: the Gehr

facility no. 6 can be found on google maps, but what is shown is not representative.

There are more of these illusions/distortions around than is commonly discussed.

Work backwards from politicians with 'names'--and other facilities.  Gehr Waffen

would be in the 'other facility' category.  You can google Diego Garcia.  You can

see the runway.  But you will never see it at night.  And so on.

--BLG, Binary is pretty clued in.  But she is young yet.  Hopefully we get to see

her mature.  The Carpenter brothers/family are the remnants of the great

black middle class that industrialized Detroit/other, and have been cast aside,

discarded, shopped, sold, fucked.  See Baltimore.  And no, there are no excuses

for being a fffing asshole.  But there are explanations for why we now have

asshole farms.  We are all going to have to bust our asses someday to make

sure this thing doesn't break down on race lines.  History says it always does.

Our Masters are desperate for us to chop each other up.  Let's not, mmkay?

--ny15, much thanks, always trying to pick up the pace, and failing.  Imagine

I have a bunch of 1000 page books in mind, with footnotes, but not the time.

Just ffff.  So at the very least, you guys are writing the footnotes, right?

Outstanding.

--StimpsonJ, now Stimpson...just max awesome.  Like peering into an illuminated

manuscript.  Good to see you, metalman.  As always.  A handshake someday, some

Fal's to spin.  You won't be deeply wounded if I cut a few Steyr barrels to 18.5?

I understand they are collector's items now.  Just ff.

--KOW, good to see you as always.  Hoping for a few free nights this week/next.

So I can pick up the pace....witness my version of prayer.

--greyguy, good to see you, and yep StimpsonJ pretty much nailed it.

--combatcanine always good to see you and appreciate your patience. I hope you

are educating your near and far on the value of your/our/other dogs.  No substitute

for our dogs.  I watch with no patience various caliber/gear/other wars, and just

want to know...do you have a dog of a certain breed(s)??????  Taken the time

to understand and train that fine creature????  With the right dog or two all we

need is a 17th century blunderbuss.  Or a longbow.  Ok.  And maybe a hand-and-

half sword.  And out of respect for functional antiques, maybe a Garand.  Or two.

And thermal.  Ok, getting carried away here...

--TriumphRider, and yes a collective salute to StimpsonJ.  Story compressing fast

now.  About 10-15k words to go.  A bunch of reveals.  And a set-up for books

2, 3, and 4.  5 at the latest gets us back to the Gehrs proper.

--StimpsonJ, the FuArock--crack me up.  Maybe can incorporate.  A bunch of

Arfcom locutions I am watching, to see how to fit in.  87, for instance, belongs

somewhere.  We will see.

"Combat is the control of your adversary
in the three dimensions of space, across the fourth dimension of time.  

Control the rhythm, control the tempo,
control the pace of movement through time, that is
where you win or

lose in the fight.  Lose
it?  Lose the rhythm, lose the mission, lose your life. If you've made it this far, if you've

made
it to me, you've seen this yourselves and know I speak the truth."   The poetry of war described on a rocky

beach
in Wales by an ancient Scot, old enough to have served with the SAS in
Malaya.  His glass eye in its ravaged

socket, his empty sleeve pinned high on one shoulder, his proof that some
poetry is permanent.  Billy and his men,

shivering under a misting rain, had known there were aspects of combat approaching
the occult, and known they

were listening to a master...

(DCBourone Kindle Single Injured Reserves)  Thank you, DesignatedMarksman

Ok, back to work.

DCBourone

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#47]

--StimpsonJ, you found an engraving/print of the actual Boehm St. George.  Just
ffffing awesome, ST.  
View Quote

I mentioned it earlier...the first time I saw St George and his lizard was in Stockholm.  It was very...green.  I bought a yo-yo at the gift shoppe.

The statue I saw he did not have a lance IIRC, but a sword above his head.

But that image, the Boehm, was the simplest to add encryption to, as it is pure BW with no shades...as it should be.

The image we present need not be perfect to serve its purpose.

We need not be Saints to inspire.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:  We are all going to have to bust our asses someday to make
sure this thing doesn't break down on race lines.  History says it always does.
Our Masters are desperate for us to chop each other up.  Let's not, mmkay?
View Quote

I am sorry I missed this.

This is some truly deep vision.

I wish we already lived in a world where a couple of a singular skin color could give birth to a child of another.

That day will come.  It cannot be undone.  The world has become small...and will become smaller.

Picture trying to hate in such a world.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]

--StimpsonJ, yah I regularly reread post here to get some groove on and

find jewel after jewel.  This is a very long text now, story and footnotes,

many/most of the footnotes written by you guys.

--The Boehm with encryption a perfect example--was thinking you were

speaking generally, not specifically.  But I looked closer...max laughter.

Very very glad I did not miss it.

--I recommend that everyone take the most careful note of StimpsonJ's

reference to the encryption, and the Boehm St. George, and, yes, the

dragon, and his comment "Your chance to play, Bi"--in case anyone missed

'it'==I almost did.

--General Note: on edit, I need to take a few days and 'lift/borrow/plagiarize'

as many comments/pungent phrases/observations as possible from the

contributors here.  Because some of them are so damned good.  And it

would be both appropriate, and courteous.  StimpsonJ just parked two

at very close range: "The image we present need not be perfect to serve its purpose."

"We need not be Saints to inspire."  Some big libraries here.  Thank you, ST.

--On the carefully engineered divides, I just don't know how to get into this

in fiction, without inviting the wrong kind of scrutiny.  What I can do is

show the absence of the divide.  People who refuse to be divided.

I am quite certain I could show how carefully these divides have been

arranged.  And so on.  Maybe someday.   I think pretty much everybody

here could do the same...the machinery has been in plain sight for quite

awhile.  Nuff said at this time.

--Good to see everyone, and back to work.

DCBourone

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space,

across the fourth dimension, of time..." ( Kindle Single Injured Reserves )

Thank you, DesignatedMarksman

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:
Couldn't resist...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/337-St.-George-and-the-Dragon-qar15.jpg

View Quote

Out Standing!!!
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top