BCM
User Panel

Page / 84
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
So, Little Timmy gets to do something sort of good-ish before he pays the Piper?  Maybe pay down his penance just a smidgen by working for BC and Simon (I'm guessing from BC's tats that she is one of the "Good Guys" even if appearing a bit unsavory perhaps??)?

Thanks a bunch for this installment.  Now..............MOAR! Please!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the update, DCB.  Didn't expect one so soon!  I like it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Bueno crapo!

Muchas gracias!

(good shit, thank you)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]

General Note: trying to pick up the pace a bit.  For the forensic

types, this last installment reads, post composition, as..."loose"

as in "un-tight", also suffers because the payoff is separated

into following installment.  Pretty serious credit to the readers

here that you are tracking the story through multiple installments,

and the footnotes/commentary, which are essential, insightful,

pretty much awesome, and also a serious break in the momentum

of conventional fiction, read as a single document.

--ny15 good to see you and every comment helps.  Feedback loop

here is a big contributor to....um....spending less time with the Comma

Hammer, and more time writing.

--GreenGiant--good read on Timmy Boy and our new Lady.  Binary Code

is a last key character I hope to use in many stories, after Byron York.

There will be no new characters introduced, that are meant to last.

She is one of the good guys.  Tim is going to do his search on the Gehrs.

Binary Code has already pegged Tim as a total scab.  The Gehr search

on Sam/Binary's computer will cue Binary into who the Gehr's might

be...and Binary is going to recruit herself into the Gehriverse.  Talent

is where you find it.  And talent always seeks talent.

--airsix much appreciated and look forward to your posts.  And your projects.

--Piddler much thanks, and hope to tie this installment up shortly.  Most

installments I try to arrange like a proper chapter.  This one did not fit,

so far.  Binary and Tim get to know each other real fast in the next 2000

words.

--General Note: because this is a 'survival' forum, I would ask anyone here

who has traveled, really seen the Third World, to step in ( remember their

is no thread splitting/shifting here, it all matters ) and note 'just how bad

it is' in places with no/minimal/corrupt/untrusted authorities.  That is what

is happening now, in this story.  Watch Binary Code.  She has picked it up,

and knows the world of laws, and shared community, died with the nuke

in the Sinai.  She moves very very quickly.

GENERAL NOTE: Much thanks to many, who have found, and advocate for, Injured Reserves.
I will repeat here, then, (master salesman that I am (not)) that
Injured Reserves is a kind of moral guide for the Gehr family, was
written by a family member, and is a text designed to serve many
purposes, some of which are beginning to emerge here. The first third of
Injured can be found for FREE FREE, as the second half of search phrase (DCBourone
Amazon The Listening Room) and that first third should be enough to
acquaint one and all if the the need, not want, to continue reading.
Much thanks, all.

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of
space, across the fourth dimension, of time..." (DCBourone Injured
Reserves) Much thanks, DesignatedMarksman...

Ok, back to work.

DCBourone
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trapshooter12] [#6]
I was needing something to read so I started re reading what was written and this sentence stuck out the most for me.

"They must feel the firm hand of their parent, the Federal Government, which is us, with however much force might be required."

I'm not sure if you had written this for the Bundy Ranch affair, but I truly believe this was part of their intentions that backfired on them big time.
you posted this part of the story around the same time this was starting to heat up.

What a lot of people don't understand is that we were one sneeze/stupid decision away from having another Civil War.
I also think that this scared the shit out of the Government big time and this is one of the reasons they decided to go after the ammo since they couldn't get the guns.

Nevada has been fighting the heavy hand of .gov for along time, another good example is the Shovel Brigade from either the 80's or 90's in Elko County.

I followed a guy into the gas station today and he had a Bumper Sticker that said January (can't remember the day) 2017 is the last day of freedom. We were parked next to each other and after I finish filling up I peeked around the pump and pointed at his Bumper Sticker and told him that's only true if you intend to give up. I then told him I intend to fight to my last breath. That put a smile on his face.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
in the absence of central government authority, other forces fill the void. it may seem chaotic as these forces compete for power but as always, things break down to the clan or tribe...

this seems to be the default state in most of the failed states around the world at present time. in the US, things might be different as there are not many strong tribes or clans still around... you might have new tribal groupings form by professional, political, racial, or religious affiliation. For example, you could have leo/ex military groupings attempt to become dominant. and by dominant, i mean control the resources necessary for some semblance of normalcy if not just basic survival... people will sacrifice a lot to retain the basics, particularly if they have children...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:52:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KOW] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trapshooter12:
I was needing something to read so I started re reading what was written and this sentence stuck out the most for me.

"They must feel the firm hand of their parent, the Federal Government, which is us, with however much force might be required."

I'm not sure if you had written this for the Bundy Ranch affair, but I truly believe this was part of their intentions that backfired on them big time.
you posted this part of the story around the same time this was starting to heat up.

What a lot of people don't understand is that we were one sneeze/stupid decision away from having another Civil War.
I also think that this scared the shit out of the Government big time and this is one of the reasons they decided to go after the ammo since they couldn't get the guns.

Nevada has been fighting the heavy hand of .gov for along time, another good example is the Shovel Brigade from either the 80's or 90's in Elko County.

I followed a guy into the gas station today and he had a Bumper Sticker that said January (can't remember the day) 2017 is the last day of freedom. We were parked next to each other and after I finish filling up I peeked around the pump and pointed at his Bumper Sticker and told him that's only true if you intend to give up. I then told him I intend to fight to my last breath. That put a smile on his face.
View Quote

first off thank you DCBourone for another great post. I lack the vocabulary to properly express how I feel about this story and the enjoyment I get from reading it.

Secondly after reading Trapshooter12 's post I wanted to share something I heard Michael Savage say. I never listened to him before but his show is now on during my evening commute time.  He said that the government is just waiting and hoping for someone to do something stupid so that a major crackdown can take place. Savage was more or pleading for people not to let the government drive them to do anything and wait it out until after the elections of 2016.

interesting food for thought.

I tend to agree with Savage on this point.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Third world- I thought paying $20 to cut the security line was a feature. "My cousin he works there I walk you up"

On the other hand, having to race the Iraqi Police to BIAP and try to bribe my way out of an airport in case you actually did your job (security) was less thrilling of an idea. Thankfully I didn't have to use my cash e-fund, but never a warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Third world? The smell, the lingering, fecund, cloying smell of decay from all the waste, litter and detritus just discarded and dropped from hands along the way The smell that permeates your clothes, skin, and hair till it forms a disgusting film on your teeth. Plus, the confusing  to the western mind infrastructure -how a decent sidewalk, road even a building just ends, just stops in nothing but debris and long abandoned garbage. Plus the indigenous half lidded discontented looks as you walk by, the watching you sideways as if you are dragging their resentment in your wake by just passing through the crowd. Also the noise, constant from so many sources, vehicles, radio's in every stall, chattering of a thousand conversations screamed out in the language of the village, town, country you're in, the noise of construction of braying animals....

There's more, but that's what jumps out for a start.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RadioHack:
Third world? The smell, the lingering, fecund, cloying smell of decay from all the waste, litter and detritus just discarded and dropped from hands along the way The smell that permeates your clothes, skin, and hair till it forms a disgusting film on your teeth. Plus, the confusing  to the western mind infrastructure -how a decent sidewalk, road even a building just ends, just stops in nothing but debris and long abandoned garbage. Plus the indigenous half lidded discontented looks as you walk by, the watching you sideways as if you are dragging their resentment in your wake by just passing through the crowd. Also the noise, constant from so many sources, vehicles, radio's in every stall, chattering of a thousand conversations screamed out in the language of the village, town, country you're in, the noise of construction of braying animals....

View Quote

That was really good.
And accurate.
Like so many things you can see the images a million times, but it remains just an idea, a concept. Until you are there, stepping in it, nostrils filled with it, watching a naked 4yr old kid digging in a mound of garbage trying to find something to eat. I'm years and miles away, but make myself think about those kids still. For a lot of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By airsix:

That was really good.
And accurate.
Like so many things you can see the images a million times, but it remains just an idea, a concept. Until you are there, stepping in it, nostrils filled with it, watching a naked 4yr old kid digging in a mound of garbage trying to find something to eat. I'm years and miles away, but make myself think about those kids still. For a lot of reasons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That was really good.
And accurate.

When it comes to how they deal with authority, there’s always a parting in the crowd, like a fast moving stream around a large, dangerous to navigation, rock.  They glance sideways at Policeman, the brightly badged military (I would not call them soldiers) and the western suited “official”, not the sideways resentful glance they give the stranger, but the glance of fear, a kowtow of respect for cruel power.
If the authority should stop at a stall or shop, you’d see an obsequious display of appeasement and false bonhomie.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#13]

When it comes to how they deal with authority, there’s always a parting in the crowd, like a fast moving stream around a large, dangerous to navigation, rock.  They glance sideways at Policeman, the brightly badged military (I would not call them soldiers) and the western suited “official”, not the sideways resentful glance they give the stranger, but the glance of fear, a kowtow of respect for cruel power.
If the authority should stop at a stall or shop, you’d see an obsequious display of appeasement and false bonhomie.
View All Quotes

That was really good.
And accurate.

Very much.
I'll also add though that the sideways resentful glance is not universal. Some will see that stranger as a conduit of hope - a thread leading to somewhere, anywhere else. They'll humbly seek to be tolerated because proximity could present opportunity. Not opportunity to fleece, like those who prowl the tourism game trails, but the opportunity to network, to learn, and perhaps discover the secrets - keys leading to that other world. Imagine your own determination, your own desperation to cross that portal were you to find yourself trapped in that underworld.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]

When it comes to how they deal with authority, there’s always a parting in the crowd, like a fast moving stream around a large, dangerous to navigation, rock.  They glance sideways at Policeman, the brightly badged military (I would not call them soldiers) and the western suited "official”, not the sideways resentful glance they give the stranger, but the glance of fear, a kowtow of respect for cruel power.

View All Quotes

That was really good.

And accurate.

When it comes to how they deal with authority, there’s always a parting in the crowd, like a fast moving stream around a large, dangerous to navigation, rock.  They glance sideways at Policeman, the brightly badged military (I would not call them soldiers) and the western suited "official”, not the sideways resentful glance they give the stranger, but the glance of fear, a kowtow of respect for cruel power.

I would add to "the look" above that everyone is small.  Being tall even by western standards it was particularly noticeable just how short and small people were in Central America, my only 3rd world experiences were there.  Childhood malnutrition is a bitch.

As mentioned above the amount of litter even outside of cities is truly amazing...

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]

GENERAL NOTE: Intermittently present, but this computer is on quite often, I grab a glance.  Working on update.

Very pleased to see this conversation live in my absence.  PERFECT.

--Trapshooter12, 're-reading'--the highest compliment, and yes I hope this material is fairly dense/packed/

information rich, and will merit some re-reads--on the Bundy affair, and 'firm hand'--well from my side just

creepy as fff to watch the 'math' of human behavior/institutions/corruption follow such/all predictable courses.

All states feed themselves first.  All states corrupt.  All states attract the corruptible.  Absolute power does

not corrupt absolutely, absolute power ATTRACTS the already corrupted.  And so on.  In your further comments,

gas stations scene, you, I, us, are all picking up the same things.  We are following, in exquisite detail, the path

of The Fall of Rome, complete with bread and circuses, over-extension of empire, debasement of currency, and on

and on and on...

--heron163--'other forces fill the void'--exactly and always. My hope is simply that like minds be such a 'transaction

cost' in certain geographies that they are passed over, avoided.  Like the Amish.  With...tools.  Just watching the

world have no problem observing the world of Soldier's Son.  People in Manhattan and Wash. DC will drink champagne

and negotiate with prostitutes while American cities burn.  Thus it has always been.

--KOW, good to see you as always.  And much thanks, and much thanks your reference Trapshooter.  On Savage

"the government is waiting for someone to make a mistake" Oh definitely yes, they can't ffffing wait, problem is,

they in their present form are also committed to making it happen, as we have seen with Trayvon/Ferguson, etc.

BUT VERY IMPORTANT: watch the deception, particularly with Ferguson.  The kid was a punk.  Good shoot.

But check this out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/26/st-louis-county-municipal-courts_n_6896550.html

This is the real story of Ferguson, and it is coming to us all, and has nothing to do with race.

--last/crusader, good to see you.  "My cousin works here" "C'est mon ami la"--"That is my friend there"  Money, and guns.

Guns, and money.  And somebody is trying to turn us into that shithole of shitholes...Glad you're out and home, crusader.

And of course your going to stay home now, mmmkay?

--RadioHack, very pleased to see you, and hoping all is well.  The sidewalks/paths/"this is where other people usually walk"

that end...in a ditch.  Exactly.  A canal.  A head high wall of garbage....smoke.  Smoke, always.  Someone is always burning something

that smells like plastic, or electrical cable.  No mega fat people.  Ever or anywhere.  And no law, anywhere, unless you

cut deals with the lawless.

--airsix, the kids.  Just oceans of kids, down to toddlers, skipping and wandering through traffic.  Warriors of the future.

The street is a harsh mistress...

--RadioHack, yep people are shopping and smiling but terror rules.  And no greater problem than the man wearing a

uniform, or a western suit, and a decent watch.

--airsix--very good eye.  Pretty hard to watch 'the good ones' of which there are millions, tens of millions, billions,

and know there is...no hope.  No chance.  GENERAL NOTE of airsix, Radiohack, et al.: The Masters Already Know

The Future--have you seen about a zillion articles recently, Gates, Hawking, Elon Musk, Robert Reich, on the

dangers of automation/A.I./robots/etc.  They already know.  They are already planning for a world without work.

Billions and billions of 'useless eaters'--that would be...us.

--greyguy--short/childhood malnutrition, yes, S.A. and so on.  Peru, tiny little dark brown mountain people, living

on potatoes and an egg a day.  On the other hand, the Sahel, where the murderers look like very handsome Caucasoid

black rock stars in turbans. It's either because they're eating they're own children, or maybe they just tax the fff

out of everybody, and buy meat.  Lots of meat.  I'm watching Mali pretty closely.

Good to see everyone.  Staring at update now, and fiddling with commas.  Time short, as usual.

Ok back to work.

And much thanks to those who have found Injured.

DCBourone

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space, across the fourth dimension, of time..."

( DCBourone Injured Reserves ) Thank You, DesignatedMarksman

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

--RadioHack, very pleased to see you, and hoping all is well.  The sidewalks/paths/"this is where other people usually walk"
that end...in a ditch.  Exactly.  A canal.  A head high wall of garbage....smoke.  Smoke, always.  Someone is always burning something
that smells like plastic, or electrical cable.  No mega fat people.  Ever or anywhere.  And no law, anywhere, unless you
cut deals with the lawless.

View Quote

Dear lord, how could I not remember the smoke? The constant, stinging of the eyes all contributing to the film of filth which coated your skin....Everything, everything....was burned, plastic, wood, anything that petrol or paraffin could be poured upon.

Animals, everywhere.... mange ridden dogs that even western hearts would  recoil from, goats and donkeys in the crowd mingling alongside and brushing up against a Mercedes or Toyota HiLux, in the far east monkeys chattering in the thatched roofs of stalls and stealing a fruit here and there and screaming back at the protesting merchants...

These memories where sealed, locked away, a thousand lifetimes away.... I prefer my local Kroger, Whole Foods with the hippy, dippy, crappy musak, clean floors, spacious isles and the narcotic illusion of abundance in a three day supply order chain.   Western grocery stores are a cathedral of capitalist sanity and sanctity compared to a third world high street market where hunger is hanging on a single transaction negotiated in a scream.... I need to go hug my fridge...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
... But on the flip side of that, I never ate so well as when I lived in a coastal village and each day's meals were purchased in the market at sunrise: fruit/vegetables picked that morning, fish/crab/prawn caught that morning (brought home alive), meat butchered that morning... It was the healthiest I've ever been. After a year of nothing but fresh food-of-the-earth I got a Butterfinger candybar in the mail. My favorite. It literally made me sick. When I got back to "civilzation"? The food made me sick for 2 months. We're living on food processed to the point it isn't fit for consumption.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
... But on the flip side of that, I never ate so well as when I lived in a coastal village and each day's meals were purchased in the market at sunrise: fruit/vegetables picked that morning, fish/crab/prawn caught that morning (brought home alive), meat butchered that morning... It was the healthiest I've ever been. After a year of nothing but fresh food-of-the-earth I got a Butterfinger candybar in the mail. My favorite. It literally made me sick. When I got back to "civilzation"? The food made me sick for 2 months. We're living on food processed to the point it isn't fit for consumption.
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean.

I spent a summer with my Grandfather up in Newfoundland, he was a boat builder. The whole summer we caught our fish/squid/lobster daily and ate from his garden. The only thing from the store was rice, beans an fixins' for home made bread.
It was awesome. I haven't eaten as well since, and that was about 25 years ago.

Because of the distance I never got to see him that much, but I will always remember that summer. He's passed on now, his boat building skills dying with him. But I think of him whenever I see a lobster in a tank somewhere... and remember that yummy food.

His name was Elijah Peddle, the cool thing is his wife Frances is still alive and is the oldest woman in Newfoundland and probably one of the oldest in the world. Click to see my beautiful Grammy

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#19]
Lungbuster, thanks for sharing that! I loved your story and reading about your Grammy too!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]

219 living blood relatives!!!

I have...6.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
When my grandmother died 30 days shy of her 100th birthday it was said at her funeral that there was 132 of us. Her and my grandfather had 9 kids.
The sad part about it is the parts of the bloodline is starting to die out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LukeDuke:
Billy Spears is real!!!!!!!!  Let me introduce Texas State Trooper Billy Spears and Snoop Dog
View Quote

He's not living up to the image of "The soldier."
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#24]
Lungbuster, thanks for sharing that! I loved your story and reading about your Grammy too!
View All Quotes

It was my pleasure.

Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

219 living blood relatives!!!

I have...6.

It makes Christmas cheaper that way though...
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#25]
Just checking in. Dropped by to see if there was any new chatter. I just finished a project, so I thought I'd check for an update.

Sorry, I can't show most of my projects. Because they're people.
Keep spreading the spirit of Liberty.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#26]
It seems Tim has never ventured into Euless. Simon wouldn't be such a mystery.

You asked for critique:

Binary Code, the name seems..... hokey, cheesy, implausible. It throws off my reading mojo. Like a 60s Batman villain swung into the middle of Unforgiven.

There..... now I feel like a Miata driving, Paris Hilton sunglasses wearing, douchenozzle.
With a soul patch,  a dolphin tramp stamp, and flashing neon truck nuts on my fuchsia Miata.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. If you see no merit in my opinion, by all means, disregard. I fully reserve the right to be incorrect at any and all times.

Keep on.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: avips] [#27]
Kinda agree with PFunkk, I've admittedly just been coasting along and enjoying the story.  How about "Digi Code"??!!

ETA:  Happy Easter to all!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PFunkk:
It seems Tim has never ventured into Euless. Simon wouldn't be such a mystery.

You asked for critique:

Binary Code, the name seems..... hokey, cheesy, implausible. It throws off my reading mojo. Like a 60s Batman villain swung into the middle of Unforgiven.

There..... now I feel like a Miata driving, Paris Hilton sunglasses wearing, douchenozzle.
With a soul patch,  a dolphin tramp stamp, and flashing neon truck nuts on my fuchsia Miata.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. If you see no merit in my opinion, by all means, disregard. I fully reserve the right to be incorrect at any and all times.

Keep on.
View Quote

Best post of the week!
I hesitate to be critical, but at the risk of a 15 yard penalty for piling on, I have to agree.  DCB, if you're open to the conversation (character name), could you share some details about Bi? What is she known for? What is her specialty specifically? What is that one piece of backstory that her peers whisper to the person who asks "Who is THAT?"
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I figured Bi was an above average geek/arfcomer maybe on the bi side/butch as well the reason why she goes by Binary. Would you have preferred Mad Maxine as her name.
Really who cares about a name.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Guys ! you're upset about a  character name ? LOl.  Could be more than she seems. The character starts out with a big dude backing her up and the dude is subtle enough to all of the sudden have the "drop" on ol Tim boy. Supposedly, he don't miss nuthin'.  She herself exudes the potential to take ol "Timbo" out by herself. See it ? She could be undercover NSA, HS, CIA, FBI, DEA and probably a few others I haven't seen the acronyms for LOL. Or just a lil' gal that grew up on the tough side of the tracks. She is , to me, with her "backup, very interesting. Can't wait to see how he/DCB fills her in. Wanna bet Marie Elizabeth knows of her ? LOL. UMPH !   Did it again. (Shh better be still, he's comin).
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BLG:
Guys ! you're upset about a  character name ? LOl.  Could be more than she seems. The character starts out with a big dude backing her up and the dude is subtle enough to all of the sudden have the "drop" on ol Tim boy. Supposedly, he don't miss nuthin'.  She herself exudes the potential to take ol "Timbo" out by herself. See it ? She could be undercover NSA, HS, CIA, FBI, DEA and probably a few others I haven't seen the acronyms for LOL. Or just a lil' gal that grew up on the tough side of the tracks. She is , to me, with her "backup, very interesting. Can't wait to see how he/DCB fills her in. Wanna bet Marie Elizabeth knows of her ? LOL. UMPH !   Did it again. (Shh better be still, he's comin).
View Quote

Alright, I don't think you fully grasp the meaning or context of the post. The character? Very interesting, a new dimension in an expanding universe. Well played, unexpected, and creative. Neither I, nor anyone else, has expressed any issue with the character.

In my opinion, the name doesn't fit the spirit or mood of the story. A necessary part of story telling is causing the audience to suspend their disbelief as the reality of the storyteller's imagined world unfolds. As I read the story, the name Binary Code caused me to stop and question the reality of this ethereal world. As if realizing that I'm dreaming, while dreaming. The name, not the character, was the subject of the post.

Do you really think this chick could be a Fed? Are we reading the same story?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#32]

PFunk is correct: the name does not stand up, and will be changed.

Miata etc. max funny PF.

GENERAL NOTE:  yep you guys are right.  I had a goal with that name but it is

tonally off, dated,--writer's note: some, not much, but some errors

here are 'place holders'--that for which I have not found a solution.

Any and all comments same same PFunk's are welcome.  This is not a perfect

document, and never will be.  There have been several other content critiques

so far, every single one caught a subtle 'off tone'/a miss, a few of which

I had made notations for in my doc.  Very sharp/trained/educated readers here.

Wish I could write faster, could post a good

chunk tonight but as a 'chapter' it does not fully resolve for a few more pages.

She Who Was Once Named Binary Code will be the last character in this story

who will be a full participant in the Gehriverse over hopefully many many books.

A ( relatively ) brief note tonight, will be back to all your points tomorrow,

and hopefully an update.

Funny/fun stuff, guys.

DCBourone
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for a interesting read. I read a few hours a day. News, here, studies, history, just anything I have not seen or read lately. I read all three Honor, Duty, Planet series in the last three weeks. It kills me to wait and read this story.

I usually check this thread daily for your update. So, come on and start writing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Read this last night and today....great story.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep those chapters coming
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RadioHack] [#36]
Binary Code, could have been worse - Felicity Fortran, Calista Cobol, Betty Basic, Kelly Klammerausdrücke, or worst of all Julie JavaScript.... My only quibble with such a character are the tats. Tattoos on a woman are like graffiti on a church, an affront to God's creation and usually a sign of poor judgment and decision making skills.... There are EXCEPTIONS of course and the mileage on my opinion my vary depending on the blood content of the single malt in my veins, but.... in real life, I fear she would be a cartoon.

However, that said, it is a story, a ripping yarn of adventure and daring do in the face of impossible odds! So, congratulations on a colourful character worthy of the story if you want the name to change than it should be so, but it didn't bother my eyes at all.

Continue the book -

Ecclesiastes Chapter 12
12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:53:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#37]
STILL EDITING THIS POST, JUST LOST TWO HOURS OF

COMMENTS ON COMMENTS, AS 2:24 pm/cst.
 SOMETHING IS FFING WITH

THE FONTS.

CORRECTING NOW, MIGHT TAKE AN HOUR OR TWO.

UPDATE FOLLOW COMMENTS:

Going back to where I was caught up with comment stream:

--RadioHack, yep the smoke still sticks and stinks.  Catch wiffs sometimes, memories,

when people barbeque, light kerosene or oil lamps, and always sewer gas/sewage,

fertilizer made from sewage....many.  So many.  Cathedral of capitalist sanity, yes, but

I'm afraid only the residue of same.  We shall see.  Always good to see you, Radio.

--airsix, very true in the tropics and particularly on shorelines.  Can get pretty grim

in deep dry hot places.  Lots of canned fish/sardines/pollock/whatever with asian labels

might be the only safe protein, or shit you not rats/bush/other meat if you saw it go

from 'fresh' to cooked, yourself.  And fresh dates are a great laxative.  And tasty.

--Lungbuster, beautiful post on Elijah Peddle and your grandmother.  A number of articles, she has been

celebrated for quite awhile.  Wish like crazy you still had some/one of those boats.  Do

you have any of his tools?  Does anybody?  Awesome story.

--airsix yep stories like Lunbuster's really make this thread shine.

--stimpsonjcat--only six, yes, my line is almost dying out.  A thought for you and us

all, and kudos to all who are bringing children into this world, and gifting ( or cursing )

them, with our values....the values are a kind of child, I think.  Or maybe I just hope.

One of the most extraodinary women I will ever meet will probably adopt, rather

than have children of her own.  Too many kids already with no family.  And her

values are impeccable.

--Trapshooter12, aside from economic issues, they were looking into a bright future.

Having many kids can be a deep gesture of the profoundest optimism.  I am not

optimistic, about many things.  The next forty years are going to be

fantastically difficult.

--LukeDuke, that is hysterical.  There is another Billy Spears who was a pretty good

boxer.  In this case I hope to layer the mystery of Billy Spears and his relationship

to the Gehrs over many books.  He appears very briefly, at the end of book three if I am slow, book

four if I am fast, and confirms the identity of a Librarian.

--BigDam, no, definitely not living up to the image!

--Lungbuster, any follow ups on your family would be awesome.

--airsix, understood on projects.  Have a few of my own.  Progress is slow

but steady.

--PFunkk, we are full squared on Binary.  Euless, Miata, max joy!  Good eye!

--Piddler and all, no harm no foul Binary.  Will get fixed.

--airsix, just wrote a whole history on Binary, lost it in digital space.  Her bio

will be showing shortly.  Briefly: hacker, Soldier's Daughter, constitutional

libertarian.  I have some deep roots in this community.  Some of them

are on our side.  And armed.  And becoming very very suspicious...

--Trapshooter on Binary you are very very close.  Just lost about four hundred

words on who she is.  Read deep into comment above.  You read her correctly.

--BLG, likewise on Binary.  Shit I had a good paragraph on this.  She/they/

are much more capable than commonly understood.  See this installment.

She's real.  And yes, BLG, given her skill-set/family history/computer skills

she would have been noticed in college.

--PFunkk--fully squared.  On Binary being a...something...unlikely, but not

impossible.  The hacker community has been in a grey zone for quite awhile.

I had a lot more on this, lost it.  But I think you guys are getting the drift.

--------TEXT REMOVED .RE TOS ETC.---

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Another great installment.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Another good read, ending too soon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Outstanding update. The timing, build up... Then BAM! some much needed violence. Looks like Tim isn't as sharp as he thought.

This feels like a small crescendo in the downhill slide, well played.

I still feel like a douche, thanks for your humility and kindness.

I'm not really sure who I like more now, Bi or York. They're both pretty damn interesting.

Keep on.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Great update!

I've held back on critique/suggestions, but you keep asking for them, so I will humbly submit.

Tim is dealing with a group of digital communication experts. Placing some video files on Sam's computer to see if Tim looks at them seems inadequate.

Things I would have expected them to do at Tim's previous visit:
1) placed a tracking device on his vehicle (A $90 commercial SPOT tracker, a home-brewed amateur-radio APRS tracker, something else but not a phone - battery life too short without external power)
2) Set up Sam's computer as a trap. Tim expects Sam's computer to be secure against the outside. Set up to protect against being tracked, not configured to do the tracking. He wouldn't expect Sam's computer to itself be the payload delivery vector. Did Tim use one of Sam's computers to connect to any of his personal resources (an email account, a file storage account being used as a dead-drop, etc?)  If he did, they're in. They own him. "Sam, how secure is this computer?" "You can go anywhere you want, Tim. It's all locked down. Everything goes through Tor and a half dozen other things. It's untraceable."  "Thanks, Sam. I just need to check something."  Boom. Game over.
3) I had an idea. What if. What if there are others in the surveillance community who are the antithesis of Edward Snowden. What if when big brother forces a corporation to buiild a back-door into their product, enterprising individuals on the inside sell that information. And now big brother isn't the only one with access to the back-door?  What if the very things TIm assumes are his digital fortress are in fact the gateway for those with the key. A key duplicated and then sold. And then stolen.  Who knows where a stolen key might end up. London. Rio. A trailer park in Texas.
4) Maybe this is how they learned that Tim has and enjoys a collection of torture videos. Because they've had a chance to dig through his digital sock drawer.

Take or leave anything. It's fun just to think about the characters and all the possibilities.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
awesome chapter.

there is always a point in time when an all too smart POS finds out that there is someone smarter than him/her... and usually it ends poorly for them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Binary layin' a beat down.  Poor li'l Timmy......    
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm participating more than I thought or probably should.

Besides Tim getting his ass kicked at the Cantina. Now Binary is f@#king him up also.

A couple things. When Tim left the Cantina he left with a guy named Ronaldo but when he met up with Byron the guys name is Fernando and Tim tells Fernando to wait in the car one they get to Sams place.

If it's not jumping ahead.
The reason why I caught this was I was wondering what happened to him or what he was doing while Binary was beating Tims ass. He can't be just forgotten since he is a soldier of the Cartel.

Dc I'm starting to have a love hate relationship for you. I love the story but just when it starts to get really good it ends and I have to sit back and wait while checking this page daily for an update.  That's the hate part.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#46]

COMMENTS, and pretty deep into update, next 24/48--

--ny15 much thanks, and more on the way.

--zoe17, good to see you as always.

--HBruns--much thanks, H, and working on speed.  No solution yet.  We shall see.

--PFunk you are not surprised that the Tim/the Tim's of this world, are sharp only

in their domain/comfort zone.  Only without real competition.  Not to say

there is no murderous talent there.  Of course there is.

But terror works until you run into a real pro or the rare natural talent, with

some training.  That would be who shall not be named Binary.... Tim against

talent?  Tim not terrifying, just arrogant. And unprepared. "small crescendo on

the downhill side"--great language PF.  Exactly.  Douche, nope, good call PF.

"Bi and York"--assume I am assembling a crew here, and hope they will be

around for a long time.

--airsix we know each other pretty well now.  All comments/etc. welcome.  To

your points: assume I will lift/document/plagiarize your list for future use.

A ton of good stuff there, airsix.

Now try this: Binary is not that concerned FOR Sam yet.  More...disgusted?

She also can find out all

she needs to know about Tim's character by Tim's reponse to the videos.

A few minutes work.  Key: SHE MAKES SURE SHE IS THERE, with Simon

Says, to run Tim off.  Enough for now.  But she gets a bonus, because

she is sharp.  Also assume Opsec etc., the preps etc., .re Tim: Binary knows

she will not be there much longer.  She's leaving with her crew.  Adios, Tim.

With a bonus.  BONUS on Binary next installment.  Hints: Binary and her

crew already going on a trip.  Maybe they'll do a little sight-seeing

on the way.  Or...A Binary specialty:

How To Approach a Castle.

Without Getting.

Shot.

--airsix, worth a comment, to test Tim with

torture videos.  It is a very common test, variation on public domain stuff

in prison, rapists, child-molesters, etc.  What does the subject involuntarily

respond too?  Creepy stuff.  Very useful.

--2T2/Crash, "someone smart enough discovers someone smarter" yep exactly.

Big issue, worthy of infinite discussion: cognitive dissonance.  Understanding.

Using. Preventing. Tim is very competent, even gifted, in his domain.

But he is getting very ffing far away from home.  Pretty soon, he's going

to be on another planet.

--grywlf52, oh yeah, and Binary's beat down will continue!

--Trapshooter12, nope this looks like pretty much the perfect participation my side.

Ronaldo/Fernando, perfect, exactly the kind of mistake I make and NEVER SEE.

Now, on Ronaldo/Fernando, I hope you trust me when I say I have a solution

already written.  Fernando sees everything.  And what does that make you think?

Some version of...Uh-oh.  Fernando.  Yes?  On love/hate, I say: no higher approval.

Wish I could do this faster.  I baulk at every period, comma, and change....

Ok, most excellent to see everyone.

For those of you who have found "Injured Reserves" much thanks.  If you are

comfortable writing a brief review, even a few words, they really help.  If

I do well, the not-like-us will show up at some point.  Enraged.  Hoping this

will always be a war of words.  May our words win.

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space, across

the fourth dimension, of time..." ( DCBourone Injured Reserves )

Ok, back to work.

DCBourone
Ok, back to work.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Me thinks Timmy will wish the lone Texan had put a bullet through his head.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#48]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

--Lungbuster, beautiful post on Elijah Peddle and your grandmother.  A number of articles, she has been
celebrated for quite awhile.  Wish like crazy you still had some/one of those boats.  Do
you have any of his tools?  Does anybody?  Awesome story.

--Lungbuster, any follow ups on your family would be awesome.

View Quote

After the Moratorium in the early '90's the North Atlantic cod fishery crumbled. No one needed boats anymore. So the boat building crumbled as well. My cousins left the area and went to college or joined the military. The knowledge that had been passed down for many years will be lost.
No idea on the tools.

I have a miniature boat my Grandfather built for me when I was a kid, probably a 20" toy. Excellent craftsmanship.
Luckily my mom confiscated it from me when I was about 10 years old. We were living in Portugal at the time and I used to float it down a little stream loaded with Star Wars figures and shoot at it with my BB gun. Mom still has it and I get it out and look at it whenever I visit her down in Tennessee.

It will sit on top of my gun safe one day.

If anyone wants to look a the area on Google Earth, it is New Perlican Newfoundland. My Grandfather owned some of Vitters Cove, and the houses surrounding it used to be all family owned.
I'm not sure about now, I haven't been there in about 15 years.... I need to get back there before it's too late.

Thanks for the interest, it's been a pleasure.

Thanks for the update. I love this story.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
I used to float it down a little stream loaded with Star Wars figures and shoot at it with my BB gun.

View Quote

I suddenly miss being a kid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Interesting situation for Tim.  Thanks again for continuing to write.
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top