Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 84
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
DC, I know this has been said here before, but I fear we will soon be reading the end of this story in the News.  I hope all is well!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
We may be seeing the beginning of this story right now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Checking in to say the same.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Is everything alright DC? I think that this is the longest period without an update since This whole thing got started...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing that finishing up and polishing will take a while.  Hope all is well and all posters here have a good Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
DCBOURONE have a happy thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work soon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:42:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#7]
UPDATE FOLLOWS COMMENTS---!!!!!   (...about time, eh?)

GENERAL NOTE: delayed, obv.  Normal personal stuff.  But all have noticed that

exogenous events have....accelerated?  Much bandwidth has been blown, let's say.

And that is the future.  There will be no relief.  I hope to treat this/any/all as much

as possible in 'fiction'--we shall see.  As always, appreciate the patience of everyone

here.  Have received many IM's.  Thank you, gentlemen.  Pondering an essay or two

on 'out there,' not sure if appropriate yet.  At the very root, just a useful tone:

Upton Sinclair...

"
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it."

Expand 'his job' to 'his status/future/identity/breeding opportunities, real and imagined' and so on.

This is a mirror from which one must not flinch.
And I include us all.

--StinpsonJ, apologies, busy busy bee, and yes forge weather has been a month plus now,

even in Texas, I hear.  Surgery????  Hmmm....medicals.  You are healed?  Will be showing a pic

for you shortly.  Stuff to be built.  Never thought I would see all these fine AR15 derivatives

in 7.62 subduing my FALs.  Ar15's...all those tiny little parts and springs.  Gas rings thin

as a hair.  Gas key staked, not staked.  All those tiny little clearances.  Must think about this.

PFunnk will have an answer for you in person on this issue.

--kermit, thank you for patience.  Yes, Librarians...a task unto itself.  Very interested to see

how much 'memory' will be officially deleted.  Process has already begun, of course, starting

with minds of the young.  "Haec...." very sharp, Kermit.  I prefer "just passing through"--but

the sense is the same.  Question is how much value to create/preserve on the passage.

--highstepper, much thanks on picture.  Would very much prefer to be taking/composing pictures.

Or collecting artifacts.  Spent a fair amount of time in archives/museums/collections.  Some

very fine collections in Europe/Middle East not on the record, where you can actually handle

stuff.  Thrilling, and ominous.  Pretty much anything valuable, and old, is caked with blood.

--mnmiv, on release date....well...shit.  Seeing as how I've pretty much blown timing/credibility,

I hesitate to say.  More on this later.  Check this out: THE STORY IS DONE.  Editing/cover/proofing

IS NOT.  And my time is not really my own right now.

GENERAL NOTE: oK, off of mnmiv's courteous prompt, I will say something like this--in the future

I will go, "getting really close/really really close/really really no shit CLOSE" and then I will PUBLISH

BEFORE i ANNOUNCE IT HERE, to make sure I don't end up on a plane with my finger poised over

the 'publish' button.  Not the best way to do this, but that's what I got.  More on this in the next month.

--SouthSide, understood, just kind of jammed up right now.  Don't have an autopilot for this

process.  Someday, will hopefully have full control over schedule, and even then, I'm still trying to tune some dead channels.

--Lt/Beaker, on reading this in the news, exactly, we are reading it in the news.  And I'm going to

walk this story all the way to 'the end of work'/A.I./etc.'--bunch of shit going on I'm trying to figure

out the proper boundaries of public conversation.  Stepping lightly: there is a lot more 'design/purpose' at work, and not as many 'accidents/stupidity' as generally believed.

--Designated, good to see you, as always.  Probably time for another pic of your Jr. Librarian?

And yeah things are pretty screwed up.  Just....FFFF.  And....someone....WANTS IT THIS WAY.

--airsix, yes and yes.  And for everyone still posting....much appreciate keeping the faith.  I'm

not going anywhere, this will get done published and many more, but just FFFF my scheduling

got torqued recently.

--greyguy, killing me, man.  Much appreciated.  I check in for a second or two when I can, still

hate posting without an update or something of consequence.  This time, just gone for awhile.

I'm fine, but uh....no exogenous good news, as you can see, and I don't see that ending.  Ever.
-----------

-----------TEXT REMOVED .RE EPUB TOS-----------

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome back brother. Thank you for your work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
thank you for the update.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool, thanks for the update! I'm not sure that "the wizard" is going to be as willing to trade as Tim thinks...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

This was interesting.

And just incredibly exciting.

"Hope your kids know how to flie those birds, Jefe.”

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
(vests lept of off running boards) possibly need to get rid of (of) or move it to the other side of off.

( Four men with largest gasoline powered rotary saws) maybe add the between with (the) largest

I was beginning to wonder if you died in the great Texas floods of the last couple of months.

In a way this story actually brings some sanity back into the screwed up world we live in these days. An understanding if you will.

One question that is kind of nagging at me. Why did they land the Drones, was it to show Tim that they had them because other than landing and immediately taking off was something done to them that was not mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
welcome back dude!

I love the update and the impending doom it creates.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Good to know you're still with us, DCB.

I was becoming concerned . . .
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Good reading.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:33:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Good to see you, DCB!
Thank you for the latest update.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the unexpected update!  Really looking forward to buying the book and the sequels...

TriumphRider  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By greyguy:

Cool, thanks for the update! I'm not sure that "the wizard" is going to be as willing to trade as Tim thinks...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

View Quote
The wizard already knows.  He is just going to humiliate Tim before he dies.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think they have enough men to take on the "compound"

LOL, keep sniffin' glue Timmy
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By grywlf52:
I don't think they have enough men to take on the "compound"

LOL, keep sniffin' glue Timmy
View Quote

minefields and claymores and MG42s... Oh my!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
--StinpsonJ, apologies, busy busy bee, and yes forge weather has been a month plus now,
even in Texas, I hear.  Surgery????  Hmmm....medicals.  You are healed?  Will be showing a pic
for you shortly.  Stuff to be built.  Never thought I would see all these fine AR15 derivatives
in 7.62 subduing my FALs.  Ar15's...all those tiny little parts and springs.  Gas rings thin
as a hair.  Gas key staked, not staked.  All those tiny little clearances.  Must think about this.
PFunnk will have an answer for you in person on this issue.

View Quote

I'm fine, back in fighting form again...and three new scars.  The wheel seems to be visiting me more often lately, it's cool, it hasn't won yet.

Pics eh?  Buckets of unloved parts I hope!
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]

He's ready for what comes next.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a CMP gun. I like it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the update.

I only post this here because I spoke of it earlier in this thread but, my Nanna died. She was a cool lady.

I was planning on being there next spring for her 110th birthday.... I wont be able to make the funeral.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 7:07:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#26]
edited/deleted/screwed        

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 7:11:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#27]

General Note: picked up some editing time.  All is well.  Relatively.  Checking

in when possible.  And a pic for all--with particular attention to Stimpson J.,

and buckets full of projects, and the continuing motif of coins, and artifacts

which are intended to endure pretty much anything.
--Designated, much appreciated.
--AHSGA, likewise.
--greyguy, the Wizard has a plan.  You will see.  I promise.  And much thanks

on correction.  Proofing this a very odd experience.  Cumulatively the collective

has found many many typos/errors/flubs.  Of course I never see them in the

first place...
--DFarm, much thanks.
--Trapshooter12, corrections appreciated.  On landing drones--a shakeout/test/

prep.  They will need to be saved/stored/shipped/used again.  Also pilot prep/tune

up.  
--2T2/Crash, much thanks.  Epic FFFFing doom is on the way!  My specialty!
--Former11b, much thanks, very much understand concern, many inhibitions

on timely posting my side.  But overall trend is death or dismemberment alone

will stop this process, probability very small.  I missed August, now Christmas,

looks like there are certain advantages to finishing/publishing for January .re

Amazon algorithms, etc.  We shall see.
--HBruns much appreciate your patience.
--airsix, likewise.  Have some time for this around holidays.  Almost..."done"
--Triumphrider, same same, hope to be at this for many many years.  Many angles

on this world I would like to describe.  Far more than I will ever be able to accomplish.
--Formergrunt94, good to see you, and yes the Wizard...well, he has been at this

for a Really Long Time.
--grywlf52, no, they don't have enough men, and they don't care.  Another purpose

is being served here.  Very much look forward to everybody here 'seeing' what the

Gehrs have done, and why, and how.  Nuff said at this time.  NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

Too many smart people here, no matter how subtle I play this.  A couple of IM's

were picking up some clues.  Unnerving, let me tell you.
--2T2, Gehr Waffen will use only the tiniest of their resources here.  Later, years later,

more.  A small clue: Gehr Waffen's best talent is 'forecasting'--Nuff said at this time.
--StimpsonJ, very good to see you, girls dig scars, yes the wheel turning quickly now,

and for the rest of our lives, sad to say.  BUCKETS OF PARTS: EXACTLY!!!!  See below!
--DesignatedMarksman, no finer pic of young Librarian and his tool.  Just superb.

And hopeful.  Feels like he just arrived a week ago...apparently not.  Just...wow.
--2T2, and now yours, just freaking awesome!  What a killer pic!  Hmm...think I might

have composition for next pic.  I might have a few Garands somewhere around here....
--Lungbuster, I remember you Nanna.  She was quite a feature in her local papers.

No solvent for your sorrow.  Upside, the only side: she had a hell of a ride.  Just

outstanding.
--And now StimpsonJ et al.: pick apart this pic, some is familiar, some less so, I have...

well, quite a bit of this stuff stored over the years, and no time to assemble.  We shall

see about that, in the future.

" />

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#28]
DCB:  "...the wizard has a plan..."

[rubs hands gleefully...]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#29]
"Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Wizards, for They are Subtle and Quick to Anger!"

or alternatively,

"Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for You are Crunchy and Taste Good with Catsup!"

Either serves as a Fair Warning.................................
Wizards are Well Known to keep a Dragon (or Two) About for "Social Purposes".  I don't expect that the Wizard of Gehr und Sohns is any different!
Merry Christmas to All, and To All A Long Life!

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#30]
So are you going to build those receivers into Carbines or not?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#31]
I want an FAL so bad...

My dad had one a decade and a half ago, but he sold it while I was deployed.  Never even gave me a chance at it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, DCB, good to see you back again.

You paint some freaky images with your words.  Dragons flying down on Tim, shadows, grunts in body bags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#33]
--And now StimpsonJ et al.: pick apart this pic, some is familiar, some less so, I have...
well, quite a bit of this stuff stored over the years, and no time to assemble.  We shall
see about that, in the future.[/span]
http://i.imgur.com/N9W2BPj.jpg" />

View Quote

Well now.

We have, I think, two projectiles, one modern...and used.  And one ancient...and used.  Ironic that the older one is still serviceable and the modern one is not.

We have five 'almost' weapons.  Three that are (no offense meant) large pistols, and two that are near and dear to my heart.  Both appear newly parked if not new.  "...in the future." Just let me know when.

Two coins, and keeping with the motif, one is ancient and one is 'new'.  Our patron saint again.  The 1881 dollar drilled for wearing?  But upside down...hmmm...

A blade (technically there are TWO blades in the pic, but I think the effort is meant to be UN-riddling the pic, soooo...) and a well worn blade at that, look at the tip!.  The make/model is not jumping out at me, but it appears to be military based on the machining marks on the drop point.

And a small carving, I can make out a face, but have no guess other than it might be Asian.  Squinty eyes, top-knot, tied beard.  A luck-dragon maybe?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#34]

GENERAL UPDATE: checking in.  Always delighted to see this word/thought chain

live in my absence.  Editing.  In light of exogenous events (many/unpleasant/continuing)

with all caveats I say "getting close"/would be very hard/unlikely not to publish in

January, I will be sorting all the posts here and contacting many of you for advice/reviews/

pricing info/ beginning...oh, thirty days?  I assume we are all news junkies, multiple

data feeds, and there is. No.  Good.  News.  So we will revert to type, this Remnant,

and see what is left.  Very fond of maps, and geography, and Deep History, and Culture.

We have several decades on the way, where Location, Location, Location, will be of

Supreme Importance.  There might be a decade, hopefully two, where fiction which

is not fiction, like this, has a market, and some utility.  We shall see.  UPDATE WITHIN

SEVEN DAYS, short of leprosy, smallpox, or asteroids.

--highstepper, if I ever blog, and I intend to some day, time allowing, there are a number

of interesting stories which are shadowed in the public domain, which would be of interest

here.  The Gehr Family "Method" is very well schooled, and very old.  The Wizard (Pop Gehr)

has inherited centuries of 'technique'--for a window into this school, I highly recommend

to all/everyone "The Little Drummer Girl" by Carre, and "Smiley's People" by the same author,

and beautifully rendered by the BBC, and now on youtube.  Please pay the deepest attention

to the recruitment/selection/"auditioning"/manipulation of 'talent'--and imagine these techniques are studied and used at every possible level of human interaction.  Or just read Bernays.  Or Bastiat.

Good information will always take you to the same place.

--GreenGiant, good to see you, and yes the Gehrs have tamed many dragons, here they will

use only one, no doubt everyone sees the Gehrs are pretty much in control here, but I hope

to have a few surprises, on the how, and the why.  Over the years to come, the Gehrs will

be severely tested, but not so much here.  When possible, industrial homicide and assassination

should serve.  Why get in a stand-up fight with shitheads?

--2T2/Crash, have collected the most almighty pile of functional trash over the years.  I fear

to date myself. Carbine receivers found years ago, when kits were a hundred or so.  Very fond

of the carbines for utility/women/vehicles/homes.  StimpsonJ properly points out they are

'almost pistols'--we will fuss about this, he and I, in person someday.  Like the FAL'/S,

the carbines have been rendered obsolete by the AR platforms/optics/lights.  I might build

a few someday, as functional art.  On the other hand, the receivers look great on my desk, with the

rest of my obsolete trash.  We shall see.

--DesignatedM, on FAL'/S, understand your affection for same.  I am pained to admit

they might be redundant considering all Ar10 variants.  I am still waiting to see the

attrition rate of Ar10/s/other over time.  I watch with considerable attention the approval

of Ar15/variants from/by people with big public resumes. Have some very seasoned friends

who, in public, approve Ar/s/etc.  In private I know they prefer other stuff, Euro/Eastern Bloc/other,

particularly inside of fifty metres, and absent a big logistical/repair/supply chain.  Ak's/fal's/PKM's

"just work" and are dirt common/cheap pretty much everywhere. If I were let's say, wandering

around the Maghreb supervising road construction, and sleeping near my truck, and just trying

to make people "back the fuck off"I would probably want what the locals were carrying.  They don't use Ar/s, and Ar's are 'sort of' available.  There have been a number of posts here about why

bull-pup infantry(s) field Ar variants with their special forces.  Seems very reasonable that a big

issue might the offset of sights over bore on bullpups. Not an issue for suppress/maneuver.  Offset might be a really big issue if you are trying to quarter a face/mouth/eyeball inside a structure.

As functional art, I don't think anything

comes close to Garands, M14/s, FAL/S.  The original TRW M14 barrels were broach cut-rifling

to aerospace .003 ( someone, StimpsonJ, might correct me here ) tolerances, and recreationally

I have shot a few that were simply astounding.  I have a Devine M1a with a TRW barrel that

is way better than I can hard hold.  Pure art.  You will probably own a FAL someday.  It is a great

dawn to dusk tool.  Ergonomics with the inch/scalloped stock and irons are...perfect?  But as

a platform probably antique, because optics/lights/etc.  Quel drag.  (Devine M1a, future picture,

note to self....)

--sixgunner455, good to see you, maybe we need a pic, you got a Webley?  On freaky stuff...

well, I will jump the shark here, or redefine 'prepper/post-apocalyptic' fiction (my goal)!

We shall see.

--StimpsonJ--what a feast of observation!  Top down:

Projectiles, yep, the old is still almost broken glass sharp.  The new, yeah, it is done.

"Almost pistols"!!!!  Ummm....Ok.  But pretty snappy for a pistol.  And perfect on the whole

sights over bore issue.  Another great dawn to dusk tool.  I rest my case!

On the FAL/s, Imbel gear logo when they were cheap.  One is built, very nice, semi-retired,

two are not.  Have a greasy bag full of Steyr and Imbel parts/barrels/sand-cut bolts.  We

will discuss this in person.  Or I will be dead (unlikely).  In the meanwhile, StimpsonJ,

put your ear to the ground and listen for me on the more durable Ar10 variants over

time.  I don't know enough to know what I don't know on this issue.  I just know I don't like

eensy weeny little gas rings, and pins that walk, and pins in general, and pencil lead thin

gas tubes, and charging handle/toggles made out of aluminum.  And it seems that I am wrong.

two coins, yes and yes.  Upside down because that is how it was drilled.  And Our Eagle is

being treated poorly...

the second blade is an a2 custom semi-bowie, repro of a left behind custom that lived in a truck

(too heavy) and used to pry shit, dig scat holes, and punch holes in third world concrete, which

is mostly sand.  Cool knife, but I wouldn't do it again.  Very fond of Glock knives.  Pretty tough,

light, cheap, can pry within reason.

carving, Asian, yes!!  Soapstone.  Nice piece of jade knocked off the top.  Old as Moses.

Somebody tried to tell me about it but I don't speak Chinese.  Souvenir on a layover,

gift from expatriate, one of us, now deceased.  His houseman did quite the blabfest

on what this and that were.  Couldn't understand a word.

Good to see you, Stimpson.

GENERAL NOTE: we're getting there.  Slowly.  But even at this retarded (in the mechanistic

sense of the word) pace, it would be impossible not to finish this.  

GENERAL NOTE: much thanks to those of you who find search phrase:

'DCBourone Kindle Single Injured Reserves'

To those of you who are new here, or lurking, Injured Reserves is a kind
of moral bible of the Gehr Family, and a key reference between and amongst
all who live in the Gehriverse. Injured was written by a member of the Gehr
Family, who will make himself known in later books.

If you have made it this far, search (DCBourone The Listening Room) which

contains a FREE SAMPLE of Injured Reserves.
"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space,
across the fourth
dimension, of time...." search (Kindle Single Injured Reserves)
Thank you, DesignatedMarksman.
Ok, back to work.
DCBourone
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:51:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#35]

--DesignatedM, on FAL'/S, understand your affection for same.  I am pained to admit

they might be redundant considering all Ar10 variants.  I am still waiting to see the

attrition rate of Ar10/s/other over time.  I watch with considerable attention the approval

of Ar15/variants from/by people with big public resumes. Have some very seasoned friends

who, in public, approve Ar/s/etc.  In private I know they prefer other stuff, Euro/Eastern Bloc/other,

particularly inside of fifty metres, and absent a big logistical/repair/supply chain.  Ak's/fal's/PKM's

"just work" and are dirt common/cheap pretty much everywhere. If I were let's say, wandering

around the Maghreb supervising road construction, and sleeping near my truck, and just trying

to make people "back the fuck off"I would probably want what the locals were carrying.  They don't use Ar/s, and Ar's are 'sort of' available.  There have been a number of posts here about why

bull-pup infantry(s) field Ar variants with their special forces.  Seems very reasonable that a big

issue might the offset of sights over bore on bullpups. Not an issue for suppress/maneuver.  Offset might be a really big issue if you are trying to quarter a face/mouth/eyeball inside a structure.

comes close to Garands, M14/s, FAL/S.  The original TRW M14 barrels were broach cut-rifling

to aerospace .003 ( someone, StimpsonJ, might correct me here ) tolerances, and recreationally

I have shot a few that were simply astounding.  I have a Devine M1a with a TRW barrel that

is way better than I can hard hold.  Pure art.  You will probably own a FAL someday.  It is a great

dawn to dusk tool.  Ergonomics with the inch/scalloped stock and irons are...perfect?  But as

a platform probably antique, because optics/lights/etc.  Quel drag.  (Devine M1a, future picture,

note to self....)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

note to self....)

I had the privilege of carrying an original M14 in the Triangle of Death (Mahmudiyah, Yusifiyah, etc.) Iraq from 2005-2006.  Great rifle, long, heavy, awkward, but it ran like a top and hit whatever I was aiming at.  It was reassuring to carry something that would powder a cinderblock in one hit.  I miss that rifle.

ETA: Don't know why my remark is showing up as a quote box.  Weird.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#36]

AR10's are fine, but they are still ARs.  I can't seem to love them.

Among a very interesting group of my FAL-loving friends, we have collectively created something very interesting that does some impressive things to the FALs generically poor accuracy.  I have seen it made and seen it work.  The wizard would be proud (in fact we have our own 'wizard' in that group).  Impressive minds, bent on solutions, only need time to deliver.

I have a carbine...I keep it for the daughter.

Oh, and who mentioned Webley's?  Mine will be 100 years old in a little over a year.  Here she is, with her 'little friend'...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PFunkk] [#37]
This is a confession of sorts....

I am not a classic, robust rifle guy.

The only rifles I've had any substantial experience with have been M4, AR15 platforms. They've worked dirty, wet, muddy, hasn't mattered. I've read accounts of their sensitivity, but haven't observed it personally, save for a few "modified" weapons.

DC, and Stimpson, if you'd like to tell me/us about the FAL and why you prefer it, I'd love to know more about them. I can get specs and numbers off the Internet, but I find that to be a poor substitute for knowledge based on personal experience.

Edit: DC, your recent post about the FAL is what piqued my interest on the matter, I'm hoping you'll expound on that.

I feel it necessary to say; hardware is fun to discuss, but is a distant second in importance to software. The person is the weapon, the tool they employ is hardly significant as long as it works for the task at hand. A kitchen knife in the hands of the right person is far more dangerous than a machine gun in the hands of an untrained coward.

Good to hear from you DC, I'm glad the comma hammer is still pounding.

Keep on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#38]
one part of the story confused me.  In the later pages of this thread, Billy gets ready and leaves for his mission and then returns.  Maria tells Lou they will be coming for sure now.  What mission did Billy go on?  It couldn't have been the original cantina mission because Tim was already on the way back to the Cantina to get the "30" new bodies that would assault the Behr land.  What did Billy do to ensure the group would come?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PFunkk:

DC, and Stimpson, if you'd like to tell me/us about the FAL and why you prefer it, I'd love to know more about them. I can get specs and numbers off the Internet, but I find that to be a poor substitute for knowledge based on personal experience.

View Quote

My love of the FAL has two factors.

-It was the rifle I bought when I decided to 'get back into shooting'.  I went to a gun show intent on buying an HK,  When I picked up the FAL it was like the sun came out.  That rifle did not work, so I found FALfiles and some of the best friends ever.  That story is still playing itself out, which is why I enjoy building FALs for folks for free.

-Everything about the rifle fits my frame.  The ergonomics are excellent and I find the care and feeding of the rifle intuitive.  I have won matches with my FAL I had no right to win.  My go-to FAL has over 10k rounds through it from me and I just switched the bbl for a used SA bbl that is nice internally, but worn to chrome on the outside.  In all that time the only thing that broke was a hammer.

A group of us are taking FALs to the Oklahoma Pawnee Run-N-Gun in January.  10k run with shooting stations thrown in.  Rediculous to do this with the FAL!

I also made a very custom FAL a few years back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 7:56:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#40]

General Note: all is well, relatively speaking.  A Merry Christmas to all.  

Some very rare free time for a few days.
A Christmas Pic follows comments--
--StimpsonJ, I watched the video on your 8mm FAL when you first posted.

Brilliant.  Just brilliant.  Sourcing the magazines...epic.  Your little friend

is a freaking grail gun.  Just...Mega Wow.  On accurizing FAL, and FAL/S

in general, more below context PFunk's post.
--PFunk, and a note to all, not a military person, have never served in the military

of any country.  On the other hand, feel well qualified on some of these subjects.

Understand this places me directly in the center of 'living in mother's basement'--

I have a way to address this issue, but it will take some time, and meeting a few

of you over the next few years if possible.  So take my opinion on FAL/S/related

subjects as anecdotal/apocryphal/other, and just match it to your general knowledge

of weapons, physics, geography, geology, culture, and human behavior.
On FALS: Ergonomics, (individual specific) they just "fit."  Inch pattern FAL/S with

scalloped stocks shoulder like a shotgun, perfect alignment of sights/shoulder/face.

Excellent controls, safety, mag release, bolt.  Trigger...many complaints.  But some people

don't mind a 'hard/deliberate' trigger on a hard use weapon.
Durability: for such a complicated weapon they seem to be incredibly robust.  Keep the dust

out/off.  When you drop FAL bolt in dusty/sandy environments you can 'feel/hear' the sand/grit

between bolt and locking shoulder.  Very simple to break open, pull bolt/carrier, brush out/off.
Caliber: 7.62 nato seems to be a sweet spot in controllability/effect, particularly on vehicles.

Also on a kind of third world cinderblock, made out of sand with very little binder/'glassiness'--

7.62 and 7.62/54R just crumble it in volume.  Very hard hitting on mammals.  I would argue

everybody here would see a difference between Nato and Ak hits/exits on mammals, particularly

inside 50-100 yards.
Purpose: I am very interested in the Ar/related platforms as related here/elsewhere.  Have a

number of friends, like PFunk, whose experience is one hundred percent positive. But, long/

complicated subject, Ar/223. favors volume/suppressive/ammo weight AND CQB, combined

arms maneuver warfare perhaps?  And FAL/PKM/heavies favor smaller units that might place

a premium on hitting harder/faster/less time on target/higher value per shot.  Extrapolating/thought

experiment--if I were trying to escape/evade I would place a premium on weight/rounds out per

unit of time which would favor ar15/.223.  If I were trying to suppress as part of combined arms

unit same same, premium also on weight/rounds out.  But If I were by myself/very small unit and

wanted to destroy as much property as possible in shortest possible time as AN AGGRESSOR, I might

want FAL/pKM, and so on.  Also terrain/geography dependent.  In let's say, Mali, for instance,

there might be some pretty compelling reasons to choose the heavies, given range, obstacles,

construction materials, such as they are, vehicles, and so on.  So sayeth the peanut gallery.
--and GENERAL NOTE OF Pfunk's post: .RE SOFTWARE.  The software rules all.  Fascination with

tools of the trades is really a kind of 'displacement behavior'--and very often, stepping lightly,

an entertaining diversion from the grim hard and endless study of just who is where and why

and how they will behave, and so on.  I completely get the 'fun' many get from the discussions/classes and so on.  But as civilians, how many of these students, when they

get to a new location, boot up their zip code on a crime map, and look at the local mug shots,

and screen/sort those mugshots for violent/PREDATORY crime, in other words stranger to

stranger crime?  You can literally look at the SPECIFIC faces/histories/culture of your likely antagonists

in any U.S. zip code.  My bet is that not enough people do this.  There are similar sorting

mechanisms you can use in not-the-United States.
--mr. mojo/risin--your concern is well founded.  What you are running into is one of many

problems with a non-linear story told in installments over what has become TWO YEARS.

Just...wow.  Two freaking years....  Hopefully this will be less of a problem when story is read as single document, plus some chapter headings I am building in edit which refer to timeline.

What you a seeing as Second Event, is actually LOU PARSON'S RECOLLECTION of the first

'inciting event'--The Massacre at the Cantina Tejas.  One event, first seen at ZERO HOUR,

AND THEN REMEMBERED FROM Lou Parson's point of view.  A big part of edit is justifying

time line/different points of view in final document.  This 'style' of writing is very demanding

of the reader, and frankly not all that common anymore in popular fiction.  Fingers crossed,

then, that I can pull it off.....
--StimpsonJ, and again on FAL/S, how continuously appropriate.  Ergonomics, oh yeah.

And Stimpson, on you 10k FAL barrel--Imbel/other chrome lined, or not?  Shot out

throat, or lost the crown, or other?  10k run/plus FAL, and total weight carried/loaded

magazines etc.?  And congratulations for such a feat, ST.
And now a relevant pic.  Karma points for anyone who knows the woman in the pic.

" />

across the fourth
Ok, back to work.
DCBourone

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#41]
A youthful Ayn Rand?  No clue really, but might as well get that guess out of the way!

Belated Merry Christmas to all here!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PIDDLER:
A youthful Ayn Rand?  No clue really, but might as well get that guess out of the way!

Belated Merry Christmas to all here!
View Quote

That's a good guess, though I don't think she was ever that cute.

Mechanix gloves FTMFW DC!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#43]
 Your little friend
is a freaking grail gun.  Just...Mega Wow.  
View All Quotes
 Your little friend
is a freaking grail gun.  Just...Mega Wow.  

Here's a few shots showing the obsession and solution I went to to not destroy the beautiful markings on the side of that receiver as I brought it back from the grave.

Left as links to not annoy those that did not come here for this...

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/IMG_0739.JPG

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/IMG_0740.JPG

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/IMG_0755.JPG

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/IMG_0756.JPG

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/IMG_0826.JPG

And Stimpson, on you 10k FAL barrel--Imbel/other chrome lined, or not? Shot out
throat, or lost the crown, or other?

Not sure yet, I plan to hack it apart down the bore axis.  She was moving towards a 4moa shooter, a bbl swap seemed like a simple fix.  STG bbl, not chrome.  I redid the crown several times.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:59:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PFunkk] [#44]

But as civilians, how many of these students, when they
get to a new location, boot up their zip code on a crime map, and look at the local mug shots,
and screen/sort those mugshots for violent/PREDATORY crime, in other words stranger to
stranger crime?  You can literally look at the SPECIFIC faces/histories/culture of your likely antagonists
in any U.S. zip code.  My bet is that not enough people do this.  There are similar sorting

View Quote

Well said; I deal with criminals and their behavior quite often.This strikes a nerve so I'm going to jump up on my soapbox for a minute:

In my experience, most people can pick the violent thugs out of a crowd. I'm sometimes forced to teach self defense classes to women/teenager/corporate  groups; I've found whether they're trained or not, people's instincts are usually spot on. If you have a feeling about someone; you automatically don't like them and start considering weapons on your person and in the area, they're probably a very real threat. People ignore their instincts because political correctness has poisoned them into thinking that seeing someone as a threat before they've proven as much is wrong or unacceptable. The biggest challenge I face teaching innocent, ordinary people about self defense; is getting them to believe what they already know, and accept the fact there's a time to get ugly.

The worst, and hardest to initially identify criminals are sex offenders. DC's advice is invaluable, get to know the sex offenders in your area, whether you have kids or not. You, your wife, mom, sister or elderly neighbor could be the type of victim they prefer. I didn't know people could be so twisted and evil until I started having to deal with them. I was also surprised to learn that they are everywhere.

The Texas sex offender website is:  TX sex offender registry , theres one for every state. Read up on the predators in your area. There's pictures, victim info, addresses, shoe size, maps, you name it.  It won't be a matter of if, but when you recognize one of these assholes at a splash park, kid's dance recital, playground, running trail, or any other place they perceive an opportunity. I've found several in places they shouldn't have been, in my day to day activities. They're adept at blending in and seeming normal; they're not. These animals are broken and can't be fixed. They don't become harmless because they've paid their debt to society; that only happens when they're dead.

/breathes out, looks around, steps down.

DC, great picture. Thanks for posting, and thanks for the perspective on the FAL. Hopefully someday we can discuss preferred tools and tactics face to face.

Keep on.

Edit: structure
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Purpose: I am very interested in the Ar/related platforms as related here/elsewhere. Have a
number of friends, like PFunk, whose experience is one hundred percent positive. But, long/
complicated subject, Ar/223. favors volume/suppressive/ammo weight AND CQB, combined
arms maneuver warfare perhaps? And FAL/PKM/heavies favor smaller units that might place
a premium on hitting harder/faster/less time on target/higher value per shot. Extrapolating/thought
experiment--if I were trying to escape/evade I would place a premium on weight/rounds out per
unit of time which would favor ar15/.223. If I were trying to suppress as part of combined arms
unit same same, premium also on weight/rounds out. But If I were by myself/very small unit and
wanted to destroy as much property as possible in shortest possible time as AN AGGRESSOR, I might
want FAL/pKM, and so on. Also terrain/geography dependent. In let's say, Mali, for instance,
there might be some pretty compelling reasons to choose the heavies, given range, obstacles,
construction materials, such as they are, vehicles, and so on. So sayeth the peanut gallery.
View Quote

Go to the variants section in the AR-15 forum.  I like the 6.5 Grendel, but others have their own preferences.  6.8 etc....There tends to be a pissing match sometimes.  I haven't done it but plenty of people are happy hitting steel at 600 yds plus with the 6.5G.  I hunt with mine and only had to track 1 buck, but that was all my fault.  None of the others have gone more than 30 yds.

Waiting for an update....
Happy New Year to all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Well said; I deal with criminals and their behavior quite often.This strikes a nerve so I'm going to jump up on my soapbox for a minute:

In my experience, most people can pick the violent thugs out of a crowd. I'm sometimes forced to teach self defense classes to women/teenager/corporate  groups; I've found whether they're trained or not, people's instincts are usually spot on. If you have a feeling about someone; you automatically don't like them and start considering weapons on your person and in the area, they're probably a very real threat. People ignore their instincts because political correctness has poisoned them into thinking that seeing someone as a threat before they've proven as much is wrong or unacceptable. The biggest challenge I face teaching innocent, ordinary people about self defense; is getting them to believe what they already know, and accept the fact there's a time to get ugly.

The worst, and hardest to initially identify criminals are sex offenders. DC's advice is invaluable, get to know the sex offenders in your area, whether you have kids or not. You, your wife, mom, sister or elderly neighbor could be the type of victim they prefer. I didn't know people could be so twisted and evil until I started having to deal with them. I was also surprised to learn that they are everywhere.

The Texas sex offender website is:  TX sex offender registry , theres one for every state. Read up on the predators in your area. There's pictures, victim info, addresses, shoe size, maps, you name it.  It won't be a matter of if, but when you recognize one of these assholes at a splash park, kid's dance recital, playground, running trail, or any other place they perceive an opportunity. I've found several in places they shouldn't have been, in my day to day activities. They're adept at blending in and seeming normal; they're not. These animals are broken and can't be fixed. They don't become harmless because they've paid their debt to society; that only happens when they're dead.

DC, great picture. Thanks for posting, and thanks for the perspective on the FAL. Hopefully someday we can discuss preferred tools and tactics face to face.

Keep on.

View All Quotes

Keep on.

I just did this.  Turns out the guy across the street one house down has been busted for child porn.  Damn.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Formergrunt94:
I just did this.  Turns out the guy across the street one house down has been busted for child porn.  Damn.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Formergrunt94:

Keep on.

I did too, there's a FEMALE that lives within 200 yds of my house.  The mugshot of her would make a freight train take a dirt road!
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#48]
DC glad to see you posting again. Still reading/monitoring this thread. Hoping you have a great year from all the books sales.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Just checking in.  It seems 2016 started off slow and tapered off!
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#50]

GENERAL NOTE:  all is well.  Posting to split the difference between 'having

an update' and proving I am still among the living.  The 'story' is 'finished.

About 136,000 words, or about 540 pages by Amazon count.  Editing in

available free time.  Tweezers and jewelers files.  For those who want to

peer behind the curtain, I will blog at some point: editing--a chronology pass,

justifying all time-lines, and future time lines--a 'cliche check' pass/I loathe

a cliche, conventions of the genre withstanding, and there are only so many

ways to describe reflections on water, and so on--a 'historical accuracy' pass--

--an 'update contemporary events/technologies/etc.' pass--and so on, and so

on....and have to shoot a cover, etc.  But this story is drawing to a close, and

have voluminous notes/chapter headings/blueprint for next two.

--Piddler, the pic is Donna Tartt, author of "The Goldfinch"--a vast wandering

and often brilliant novel, acceptable to the literati, with a central theme that

one of the most noble things a human being can do in a turbulent and destructive

world is do everything possible to preserve for posterity the great artifacts and

art of history.  A lovely, buried message.  Donna Tartt took....thirteen years? to

write The Goldfinch.  I envy her pace...More below Piddler.  Understand your

concern .re slow pace.  Remember one of those coins is yours, and will be either

screwed, expoxied, wired, or affixed with sealing wax to your book.

--StinpsonJ, exactly, Miss Rand was not blessed in the physical domain. Gloves

pair number....umpty zillion.  I might never use that pair, and keep them as

an artifact.

--StimpsonJ, I beg you to directly post some/all those images, if you deem it

appropriate.  Just mind-blowing work/shimming/miking/welding/grinding.

It is unforgivable to envy another man his woman.  His tools....his abilities...

not so much.  4MOA still not so bad for a FAL.  Very interested

in your bore analysis.  Particularly the crown/last inch.  Your next/new barrel

will be what?

--PFunkk--fine expansion on a theme.  We will discuss this at some point.  An angle:

the difference between observing/reacting to cues in unfamiliar/hostile environment,

and prepping to actively 'hunt' opposition/problems.  'hunting' mindset/prep/tools

very useful even when no 'hunting' likely/required.  Observation in advance as a 'defined

task' different neurology/imprinting.  Same same difference defined task 'taking notes,' as opposed to 'remembering'--We might have a lot of fun with this stuff someday, PF.

--kc215, I'm a bit of a dinosaur on available tools, and my knowledge such as it is

was not found here, and has very serious gaps.  I have peeked in on Ar/other forums,

understand the advantages of 6.5, which seems to be having a pretty serious impact/resurgence

particularly in 1000 metre plus applications.  But my legacy investment would probably keep

me in 7.62 Nato.

--Formergrunt94 PFunkk's tip is max useful/essential for families.  When my dependents are

far away I am particularly interested in 'predatory'/stranger-to-stranger crime.

--Piddler 'take a dirt road'--I might have to borrow that.

--zoe17, as you are the benchmark for word consumption, I will always appreciate your patience.

I can hear a collective sigh of relief when this thing is done....

--Piddler, understood.  Tweezing and filing when I can.  Also have found some of the materials

for your 'book'--turns out, no surprise, that 'bookmaking/binding' is an art, like any other.  Your

artifact will be made by hand, and have some unusual attributes.  I will be posing pics in a month

or two of the stages of assembly.

across the fourth
Ok, back to work.
DCBourone
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top