Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:39:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#1]

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got caught up.

All I can say is roll out the next chapter
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thought we had a update when I saw the thread active.

DC, keep it up and don't forget me bro.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Thought we had a update when I saw the thread active.
View Quote

Two post false-alarm, thread bumped...   herd has been spooked and is on the run.  haha

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Comments on comments follow below.

GENERAL NOTE: Ok, back at the top.  An ongoing concern, obv.: post to show

that I am alive and well, and irritate by not having an update.  And the choice is

made.  So, story is finished, being edited.  Understand general concerns.

All I can say is I would literally have to die, as in ashes and dust, not to finish

this, and many more.  By Amazon count we are looking at about 510 pages,

depending on final edit.  Next two books are blue-printed. Getting smacked

around pretty good by normal life stuff these days, oh la la pauvre moi, same

shit happens to anybody, but yes does cut into discretionary time.  And it

can't go on forever, and won't.

GENERAL QUESTION: pretty important: this story is 'non-linear'--begins with

inciting incident, or 'hook,' and then goes back to show background/world/etc.

SO

ALL OPINIONS WELCOME HERE: E-book world very different than hard/paper

for many reasons--one is cost of printing/delivery is essentially nothing.  This

allows me to put SECOND VERSION of EXACT SAME BOOK/STORY in the e-book,

99.9 percent identical, BUT TOLD IN A LINEAR FASHION, BEGINNING WITH THE

DISCOVERY OF THE DEPUTY'S MURDER SITE.  Is there any interest in seeing this

added to the e-book?  It would be less 'dramatic'--but would also be 'easier' to

follow.

GENERAL NOTE: in reference to above, comprehension of complex story--I will

probably 'prompt' in chapter titles with a 'clock' of events relative to each other.

Working on this now.  Difficult, because many many internal flashbacks/references.

We shall see.

GENERAL NOTE: --greyguy, AND ALL, editing and title/cover etc. will take at least a few weeks/maybe a month. But the story/book is "done."  To avoid false starts I will wait until edit is done/cover is done, and I have a hard launch date within 48-72 hours, before I begin countdown.

--StimpsonJ, so many kinds of files.  I might have...a few.  Have been known to drift

a flea market/pawn shop/antique store or two.  Lots of good American steel can still

be found for pennies on the dollar.  You have any particular file in mind?

--RadioHack, Yarragh, max fascinating.  Hmmm...big topic.  A bit close to the bone.

You are nearby, and I expect with 99 percent certainty that we will discuss this in

person.  I am comfortable saying here that to "tell"--first one must "see/know."  And there

is an awful lot to see, and a lot of it is awful.  At some point I will lift points here

and there, compound some of the points made here (quite a few are yours) and blog

a bit, on stuff that might not belong on this forum, or might simply be so obscure

as to appear irrelevant.  For instance: I will assume most everyone here is familiar

with OODA 'loops'--Observe/Orient/Decide/Act, .re pilots/conflict/warfare/decision

making.  There are reasonably very very large subcategories of these categories, for

instance, briefly "observe"--relative to what?  What database?  Because what is 'seen' is

only 'known' relative to 'that which has already been seen/known'--and hopefully?

Described.  And absent 'description/language' there are profound limits to what can be

'known', let alone 'taught.'  And so on...forever.  Anyone here who wants to pull on

this thought chain could do worse than read/explore this thinking man, Theodore

Dalrymple:

http://austrolabe.com/2006/11/23/theodore-dalrymple-on-the-gift-of-language/

http://www.newenglishreview.org/Fergus_Downie/The_Language_of_Decline/

http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm/demello-dalrymple-2647

--Radiohack, and good to see you back.  I recall a solemn occasion or two, and

a marker of time, on your journey.  Hope all is well...or as well as it can be.

--BLG, good to see, and that future Librarian is a breath of hope.  End game

approaching, and then on to the next.

--2t2/Crash, very pleased to see you, and at this time when time is short and I

am much away these messages mean a lot.  Thank you.

--PFfunk, perfect "tone"--"and pimp it unto my brethren"--Just perfect.

--wingsnthings, and a good question it was, and why Injured needs about oh 200

pages of foot notes. And good to see you wingsnthings, I'm counting names and

taking heart.

--zoe17 and you high among many, for your patience. Almost there, zoe17.  And

( promising nothing, only proposing, which is worse than hoping, which is needless

to say 'not a plan) the next two books are 'simpler'--at least somewhat more linear

as blocked out, and under no circumstances should take 17 plus months.

--combatcanine and likewise much thanks.  The next update will not be....two weeks

away.  That I think I can promise.

--zoe17, and you are counted again.  Just a handshake for the moment: I am well

enough, and will have some time this week.

--airsix, and likewise.  Good to see you.

Ok, back to work.

DCBourone

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
All good to hear DC.

Glad to hear it is in editing stage. I hope it is rigorous -- not because your work particularly needs it, but because all work needs it, and the more rigorous the better. Good editing is often the difference between a "cult classic" and a "runaway hit." Polish matters.

I'm struggling with a writing project at the moment myself, up against a deadline. Again I applaud your tenacity. Deadlines don't care about the "normal life stuff" that can steal time and creative power. E.g. brakes needing done or maintaining relationships. For me, just changing gears from "writer" to "mechanic" for a few hours can set me back days. Frustrating.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
DC, a big hearty congratulations on this milestone!!!!  That's huge and deserves recognition. Many thanks for allowing us this unique privilege of being allowed behind the scenes as you work your craft. It is truly an honor.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky9_5] [#8]
Waiting impatiently to  be able to buy the book. Btw , I got the kindle app just to buy and read injured reserves. Great book ,but hard to put into words why I like it so much . Keep up the good work DC .
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
DC, glad to see you update. I was getting worried about you. I have seen many great stories start, and burn out. You are doing a great job. The foundation is great, and can be built upon.

Thanks for all the work you have done keeping us here entertained. It is easy to read a great story, I could not imagine trying to pen one myself. I am to ADD/ADHD to sit for too long.

Keep going D.C.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Waiting for the roll out date! Can we pre-order?

Adding the Deputy's murder scene sounds great.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]

GENERAL NOTE(S): A warning to all: will be making serious and ongoing attempt

to post more often--a simple reassurance that I am still 'alive', this/any/all writing

projects ongoing, etc.  May have served us all poorly by waiting for updates to

post.  Have watched many many fine voices here run out of patience, and now

gone.  Understood, but a miscalculation on my part.

--so (ZOE17/...others), I prepare you in particular!  That posting here will not always correlate

to updates!  Apparently the only way to note updates, as opposed to comments, might

be the "title/first page" of "Outdoor Survival Fiction" on this forum, where I will always

show "Updated on ------ date/time"--meaning the text of the story has been added to.

--skywarp, exactly on editing.  A first pass, even deeply studied, always turns out to

be only a 'frame'--have made a considerable study of this, .re cognition, painters,

other 'creative' people.  A world created, particularly with/in words, can be infinitely

expanded.  Maria needs her own book.  Byron York.  Lou Parson.  I am very tempted

someday, if I have the time, to send Brian Distrop on a very hard task, across a country

doing a slow burn.  This book really would be....1500 pages, if I had the time.  

--and yes, polish matters.  Just a ton.  Interesting problem, the best analogy in music

is opera, in performance, ballet: the standard is set so high, the slightest false note,

or missed step, is noticed immediately, and contaminates an entire performance...

our standards are pretty high here.  Not the same, for instance, in jazz, or modern

ballet.  And so on.  Many useful analogies here.  A text like this, or Injured Reserves,

cannot be 'improvised.'

--skywarp, your deadline, is this a 'creative' project, or something defined in the

context of a 'job'--problem with creative is YOUR OWN standards are the boundary/bar.

Very difficult problem, how high to set that bar.  Only advice, and a constant chore:

do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  On editing/rewriting--with every

pass/review I see missed opportunities for 'expansion'/better phrasing/timing. At

some point, you just have to say 'enough.'  If you see some cognitive dissonance

here, yes, exactly.

--on tenacity--one advantage here, have arranged life so that I have no real options

other than continuing.  Not a casual endeavour, in other words.  If this fails...very

compelling to reduce one's options down to one.  Forward, then.  Amusing: the

physical immobility, like many other things about this job, is/are not my nature, at

all.  Generally a pretty physical person, detest confinement.  The 'seat in chair'

aspect of this is a massive fffing pain.

--"changing gears"--extremely difficult.  Distractions, life, other fine people, etc.

No solution, other than rudimentary disciplines, compromise, coffee.

--airsix, much thanks.  "Behind the scenes"--well part of a plan that has worked

very well, would have been better if I had more control of time/etc.  These really

are the footnotes to Soldier's Son.  The...messaging here is...very important.

Anticipated, let's say.  My intent is to continue this 'messaging' in as many ways

as possible, for as long as possible.  Years, at the very least.  Many years ago

the nexus of the Gehriverse stretched to The Listening Room/Wet or Dry,

which takes place in approx. 2075, post collapse and rebuilding.  Still a goal, then.

--Rocky9/5, good to see you.  Much thanks on Injured Reserves.  Time allowing, some

day I will post a breakdown/blueprint/footnotes on "what Injured Reserves actually

is"--some of it is very technical.  One note: the text design and story content come

from oral traditions.  In other words, Injured is meant/designed/plays to that which

we 'hear' as opposed to 'read.'  If you have the time/interest, read it out loud.  Better

yet, have someone you know is a devoted reader, read it out loud.  See what happens

to them/their voice.  NOTE: Rocky9, if you are comfortable doing so, please post a

brief review of Injured on Amazon.  The reviews/star rankings make a huge difference.

You will see a few 'one star' reviews.  Think about where they might have come from.

There will be more.  You are the antidote.

--zoe17, and as always much thanks for your patience.  As a pretty serious speed

reader, particularly with familiar genres/worlds/texts, have considerable understanding

of your ongoing interest across over a year of 'snippets'--particularly for/on a fairly

complex non-linear multiple character story.  Promise you this will read much 'smoother'

and make a lot more sense when read in one/several quick passes.  There is a "puzzle

to solve" aspect to this story which will be very clear when the text is seen as a whole,

and which I can tell from the comments is so far concealed/buried.  When the story

is seen as a whole, it will be very clear.  And the puzzle(s) will be solved in this book.

--
wingsnthings, much appreciated.  On linear story, Deputy's murder, etc., still

studying pluses/minuses.  The Deputy's murder probably best left off screen,

so to speak, for a number of reasons which will make more sense when the story

is seen as a whole, rather than parts.  On a linear story, added to the 'original' story,

some concern about 'padding'/confusing other new readers/'strangers' who have

not seen this process on this forum.  No solution yet.  

ON PRE-ORDERING:

Have been very poor at maintaining hard dates, but

have great difficulty imagining not publishing within 45 days at the absolute outside.

Aiming for sooner.  Given my past non-optimal timing on updates/etc. in the future

I hope to 'finish/edit/know pub date' with absolute certainty.  Have not been able

(obviously) to write to a fixed timeline/deadline.  Clearly many do. On pre-ordering,

there are a ton of promotional tools/timing tools/etc. that I am aware of, should use,

but I have not had the time.  Hopefully as I refine the business side of this effort,

pre-ordering/etc. for next books should happen.  Also a very important tool for

maintaining visibility/sales/etc. on Amazon.  So far the conversation here and on

the other forum is the limit of my "promotion"--it is organic and natural and a key

part of 'the plan'--we shall see how it carries over to 'a career as a writer'--obviously

I am hoping this is sufficient.  The amount of time many/most indie writers spend

"promoting/selling" is...not organic.  We shall see.

Ok, the clock is ticking.  Just ffff.

Back to work.

DCBourone

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Good Mornin' DCB,

I'm still here and watching/waiting for this story to fully bear its fruit.  I just haven't had much time to read this thread and haven't had anything constructive to say.  Carry On O' Wordsmith!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:
"BUT TOLD IN A LINEAR FASHION, BEGINNING WITH THE
DISCOVERY OF THE DEPUTY'S MURDER SITE. Is there any interest in seeing this
added to the e-book? It would be less 'dramatic'--but would also be 'easier' to
follow."

D.C.,  I respect you enough to give you an honest response:

No

Hell, NO

NO

NO.

Fuck no.

For the love of God, NO.

Absolutely not.

The mentally challenged consumers that a linear storyline placates to, wouldn't comprehend the content in any order. If you want to gain that audience, bang out a paperback about a troubled Mack Bolan type; throw in some high speed low drag  phrases like: high speed low drag, drive the gun, sandbox, sheepdog, etc. Throw in some tacti-cool shit, brand name knives and guns, some infidel patches, a few shemhags.... Bam...they're yours.

The slaughter at the Cantina is the hook, the buy in. The action, information and intrigue are perfectly balanced. It's beyond the will to stop after the first two paragraphs. I don't believe that just happened, you nailed it. Starting off with a crime scene, no action, and none of the main characters? I would anticipate one star reviews from people that read all of 4 pages.

Reservoir Dogs, the 6th Sense, Memento; had they been presented in linear order, would be two pages back on the Netflix cue after Sharknado, and Weekend at Bernie's 3. The story telling device was what set the stories apart; same with TSS.

Much respect D.C. I couldn't write anything like this story, but I can appreciate what it is. Don't devalue what you've created.

Keep on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^^
Yep!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Just for the record, I prefer to refer to the last known location of the Deputy as "the crime scene."  I won't call it "murder scene" until someone produces a body.  I know there is no reason to hope he survived but I'm going to choose to believe there's a chance, even if it's a million to one. "Almost certainly is" isn't the same as "is". And as long as there's even the most remote chance we owe it to him to leave the porch light on.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#16]
I just saw that The Listening Room has two options, Chapter 1 and Chapters 1-4. I read the first chapter a while back and just purchased the long version to continue as soon I find time.

I much enjoy your writing thus far and will be looking forward to reading more. Thanks

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]
PFunkk nailed it....ab-so-lutely!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree with PFUNKK.  The massacre at the Cantina hooks you hard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:45:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#19]

GENERAL NOTE: as stated, will force/make/conspire/muscle/do whatever it takes

to make time to get here more often.  I do have an update in the shop for tuning,

in fact, everything, is being 'tuned' at this time.

GENERAL NOTE: should be three or four more substantive updates, then prompts

.re publication, etc.  Still looking at 44 days at THE OUTSIDE.  Yes, always 'out there'

but you will be able to watch the always vanishing final date converge with the Ok

the dude actually finished this sumbitch date.

--GreenGiant, very pleased to see you, an original early adapter.  Your posts, the

posts of everyone patient enough to tolerate this process, make a big difference

my side.  General solitude not an issue here, but the absolute solitude required

for concentration/focus, yep that is a problem.  The voices here are the only antidote.

Thank you, GreenG.

--PFfunk, crack me up.  You know me pretty well now.  Understand your...dismay.

I fully agree that story as told is 'best'--and is in fact the only way it 'occurs' to me

that it should be told.  The 'hook' of the Massacre/Fight at the Cantina is a common

enough 'technique'--particularly when so much of the rest of the story requires some

considerable deliberation on the part of the reader.  On the Max Bolan/infidel patch

tropes/cliches, very much agree. I loathe a cliche, even when I know I must use same,

as a reference point.  Now, PF, while I fully participate in your outrage (a wink goes

here) let me emphasize that the deliberate linear story would be IN ADDITION TO/

ADDED TO, the e-book file.  There is another reason for this, quite obscure: Amazon

has a "borrow" feature for prime members, where the author is paid about one half

cent per page read.  And only for pages read.  For those diligent readers who wanted

to track the story chronologically, the second version might be of interest.  If they

read both versions in the same file, I would be paid for the additional read.  I could

fog the mirror with more Amazon obscurities, but I will stop, for now.  Good to see

you, PF.

--Currently, understood.  PFfunk's comments .re other films/stories resonates.  At some

point, probably blogging, I would hope to develop the idea, for those who have the

time, of various aspects of 'normalcy bias'--a phrase/concept I'm sure most are familiar

with.  But as a subcon phenomenon, it merits regular active study.  In other words, or own

subcon predilection to 'normalize' our reference points is continuously evolving. It

is a natural refuge of the subconscious to assume commonality with others, whatever

evidence to the contrary.

--Briefly, in this context, I

am quite sure this is a statistically 'unusual' group of readers, reading/responding to

a statistically 'unusual' chunk of text/story.  Injured Reserves would be the extreme

example of 'unusual' to the extent that someday I probably need to reboot the blurb

and simply warn people that it is 'experimental' language.  This would of course be a

lie of omission, as the precedents are numerous and historical, but now so antique

that some kind of caveat is probably warranted.  Soldier's Son is kind of splitting the

difference.  Nuff said at this time.

--airsix, crime scene is a good way to think of it.  Actual attendance at the event would

approach pornography, some things are best seen in relief.  I would say the same for

The Deputy--like Billy Spears and Gretzky Sr., after a certain point they are best observed

by their effect on other people, and through the enhancement of memory, and judgement.

--wingsnthings, much thanks on all and Wet or Dry.  Because Wet/Dry is unlikely to be

finished in like....the next five/ten years, if ever, please feel free to return it within

seven days for Amazon money back guarantee.  The reason I keep the price 'high'

is to avoid 'drive by' reviews.  Wet or Dry got a one star review just a few months

ago, from someone who has no other reviews ever, on Amazon.  This is...uncool, I think.

One stars might be reserved for blank pages?  Or perhaps pornographic versions of Little

Red Riding Hood?  A one star is an index of some pretty serious hate.  Just...Day-um.

Hence the price, although it made no difference in that particular case.

--Piddler, understood.  And one of my first tasks when this is done will be to assemble

your artifact, complete with silver dollar in upper right corner of cover, to give some

weight, and a nice object to grasp.  I will post pics of Piddler's artifact as it is assembled,

and completed. Piddler, I'm thinking I might disassemble an old leather suitcase for cover,

and binding, and so on.  I am very intrigued with idea of 'making' an actual 'book.'

Yours will be the first.

--Trapshooter, understood.  And "massacre" is the right word.  There will be multiple

references to this event across many books, I hope, as it will become a central part

of Billy Gehr's mythology.  To his considerable dismay, I might add, because his final

purpose, as designed, and he was very carefully designed, is to be a statesman, and

a 'mind.'  A Librarian, in other words.  His gift for mayhem is an attendant, rather than

his primary, skill.

Very good to see everyone.  Will make the time to be here as often as possible.

An update 'sooner' rather than 'later' is...very likely.  

GENERAL NOTE:  (I'm talking to you, Zoe17) For those who don't want

to refresh this page, a sure way to find update as opposed to comments on comments

would be to look at FIRST PAGE of survival books forum: and update date and time

will always be noted on the TITLE PAGE/FIRST PAGE of this thread.

GENERAL NOTE: much thanks to those of you who find search phrase:
'DCBourone Kindle Single Injured Reserves'
To those of you who are new here, or lurking, Injured Reserves is a kind
of moral bible of the Gehr Family, and a key reference between and amongst
all who live in the Gehriverse. Injured was written by a member of the Gehr
Family, who will make himself known in later books.
"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space,
across the fourth dimension, of time...." search (Kindle Single Injured Reserves)
Thank you, DesignatedMarksman.
Ok, back to work.
DCBourone

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#20]

--Briefly, in this context, I
am quite sure this is a statistically 'unusual' group of readers, reading/responding to
a statistically 'unusual' chunk of text/story.  Injured Reserves would be the extreme
example of 'unusual' to the extent that someday I probably need to reboot the blurb
and simply warn people that it is 'experimental' language.  This would of course be a
lie of omission, as the precedents are numerous and historical, but now so antique
that some kind of caveat is probably warranted.  Soldier's Son is kind of splitting the
difference.  Nuff said at this time.

View Quote

Here, meaning in this forum, you may be right.

But comments here and on the IR Amazon reviews make it clear there are men trying to process this story regardless of any difficulties the presentation may be causing them.

I will point out that Atlas Shrugged has sold 7 million copies and reads more ponderously than the Federalist Papers.

If the content is worth it, they'll read it.  If the storytelling is unique, they'll remember it.  You're solid on both.

I wouldn't touch the blurb, or as a minimum I wouldn't add 'experimental'.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PFunkk] [#21]
Originally posted by D.C. Bourone
let me emphasize that the deliberate linear story would be IN ADDITION TO/
ADDED TO, the e-book file. There is another reason for this, quite obscure: Amazon

Roger, I get that.

If you provide an easier option, some people will take it. If anyone reads the short bus version instead of the original, you've done them a great disservice; you've taken their money, while providing an inferior product.

I didn't know about the Amazon, pages read thing. Instead, you could:

- Number the chapters in chronological order, and keep them in the current order. It may seem abnormal to begin a book with Chapter 4, but it would soon make sense. I'd be interested in reading the book in chronological order, after the first pass through. I'd find the Chapter labeled 1, and proceed from there.

- Attach dates, month and day, to the chapter heading. Same thing, I can go back and read in chronological order at my own discretion; I probably would.

Again, much respect D.C. You've been given a gift I haven't. You've lived enough to provide very real, accurate details not available to those that haven't. You've invested time educating yourself. You've processed the information thoroughly enough to apply knowledge of warfare, history, psychology, human behavior, and many other topics. Pouring all of that into project, then offering a botched abortion version of the story is an awful idea.

Keep on.

Edit: spelling
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trapshooter12] [#22]
DC someday I hope you do expand on the Sheriff/Soldier/ problem for two reasons. One I am in the camp with some of the others hoping he is still kicking.  Two if my memory serves correctly Billy told Lou the only reason he would stop is because he knew the person wanting him to stop and I would like to find out who that was.

Would that be a book in it's self.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:25:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, I have a few observations. Been a while since I even looked at the thread. Was kind of hoping DC would be close to a pub date, and it sounds like he is. I've been working my new job. Just realized that Saturday was the one-year anniversary of my lay-off. Not that that's important now - moving forward with life.

Interesting character introductions. Many moving pieces. Keeps the reader thinking. Both on the plot, and the purpose of the narrative.

Speaking of new characters since my last check-in, Binary may be my favorite of the story. As for casting this one, Binary = Christmas Abbott. Not that Christmas is an actress that I'm aware of, but she's a very fit girl who meets the description.

Fernando should have left that puke Tim on the ground in the trailer park. He seemed an interesting character, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Bueller?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess that rather than a chronological story line, I am just wanting to know more about the characters. I suppose that's in the next book. DC I really like your writing style. Keep doing what you're doing and we'll keep watching for more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#26]
D.C. hope you are doing well. Wish you luck on the business side of writing this story.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]

GENERAL NOTE(S): editing.  Update...close.  Hoped for update tonight, but watching

comments stack.  Still here.  Had to make a short trip.  Writing still attendant to other obligations.  But must reference Josey Wales) endeavour to persevere...!  Much prefer the Anglican spelling.

"Endeavour" "savour"...

--StimpsonJ, "process this story"--we will discuss this in person, someday.  "Normalcy bias"

must be discussed face to face, with dirty hands and a shared list of failures, wishes, and dreams.

--PFfunk, we are fully squared.  The option set here for stuff I could/should do is freaking infinite.  Stepping lightly:  another prompt on normalcy bias.  The comments here don't 'match' the comments

I have seen on anywhere else other than the S/boards Soldier's Son.  Super curious .re you/StimpsonJ/other comments to find out distribution readers/audience.  The Amazon database

of minds/personalities/habits just mind-blowing.  And creepy....Very clear who 'we' are, .re the

posters here.  Complete mystery how many of us there are.  We shall see.

--Trapshooter, you are fully on to something in the long deep back story of the Gehriverse, The Deputy/Soldier/Father of Billy Gehr/Mythology of the Gehriverse....imagine that I might be trying

to suggest that the 'message'/language/lessons of some men might live after their known identity has 'died.'  The men were vehicles for the message.  They were instruments of language, and ideas.  And who is our model here?  The Son of God, expressed first in Aramaic...Roman/Latin/Greek/Old English, our penultimate example of sacrifice, on behalf of others. Understand you observe here a

"non-Christian"--but is there any finer ethical model than New Testament Christianity? If so, I have not seen it.  I wait to see it. My obligation is mathematics, and information theory.  But for ethics?

I see none finer than Christian.

--sixgunner455, an antiquarian, with Webleys...and Christmas Abbot.  I would write a book for Binary, if I had the time.  She is Christmas Abbot, exactly, with another ten pounds, and forty I.Q. points.  But the culture is the same. We need to watch this culture closely.  They are not religious, by most definitions, other than vague karmic bullshit.  But they aspire to honesty.  We have allies there.

Nuff said at this time.

--Lt/Beaker, fffffing kill me.  "Bueller"....tone...tone...tone...perfect tone, LT.

--wingsnthings, much thanks.  "Want to know more about characters"--no finer compliment for

a story-teller.  As the Gehriverse progresses 'out' into time I will have regular prompts here about

how/where to direct the 'eye' of these stories--a lot of this depends upon how 'fast' I can write,

sales/income will equal 'time to write' and so on--my original plan is still to write next few books about 'satellite' characters of the Gehriverse heading to Gehr Waffen in Texas, at the same time/during/immediately after the Sinai Nuke.  The Sinuke is intended to act as an index point

for the other stories/characters.  Also to the extent the Gehriverse intended to reflect contemporary

and near future events, hoping to see 'what happens' over next/many years, feed real events back

into fiction.  If I can manage more time for this, hoping for a new book/350-400 pages every six

months.  A lofty goal, as am not particularly speedy at this.  We shall see.

--zoe17, much thanks.  Lost a couple of weeks here, other obligations etc.  Back to work this week.

On the business side: --I watch the other writers in the prepper/zombie/emp overlapping

genres pretty closely.  I don't see any forum profile/comments/audience equivalent of this thread

here, although I may very well be missing something somewhere.  This thread would be a huge plus.

On the other hand, there is a shitload of extremely clever promoting strategies/tools/pricing/advertising that I have ignored.  Amazon Writer's Cafe forum has millions of words of super specific

indie writer strategizing.  At some point I may have to really dig into that stuff.  Much prefer doing

this.  We shall see.

Ok, back to work.

Alive and well.

DCBourone

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]

snip

--Lt/Beaker, fffffing kill me.  "Bueller"....tone...tone...tone...perfect tone, LT.

View Quote

I wanted my first post in this thread to be a bit more high minded and insightful but I could not resist.  I am glad it had it's intended effect.

I have been reading along here for the past 2 months and finally caught up a few weeks ago. Now I understand the agony and anticipation felt by those who have been hanging on since the very beginning.

DC, this truly is a masterful work and I cannot wait to get my hands on a hard copy. It will fit well in my... library.

I bought Injured Reserves at the first few mentions of it in this thread. The lipstick scene, pounding his wrist into the dock to stay up... stunning...

To anyone just finding this now, go to the beginning and read every post and every word. The commentary is as important (more so?) as the story.

Standing by...
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#29]
*waiting intensifies*

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Alive and well.

View Quote
Great to hear!  I may go back and re-read this from the start now that we are getting close to the end.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#31]
DC, you are an artist.  

I am late to the comments.  I started reading this when it first appeared, but shamefully did not offer my praises. After the appearance of the giant skull, I was sidetracked with life and did not get back to it until two weeks ago. Honestly, at that time I was also afraid it was going the way of so many "survival" stories - the millionaire survivor.  While that is more or less true in this case, it is also smashes that trope to fine Texas dust.  I finally started back in a couple weeks ago and burned through the story, planned my move to Texas, and looked for signs of the Gehriverse everywhere I looked.  

Of the people I personally know who have read William Gibson, and like it, none save myself could even figure out how to chamber a round.  I appreciate your mention of Neuromancer, the guidebook of my youth.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Very clear who 'we' are, .re the
posters here.  Complete mystery how many of us there are.  We shall see.
DCBourone
[/span]
View Quote

Go to Wal-mart and try to buy 22lr bulk packs.

If even 20% of those responsible for the dearth of 22lr on the shelves are 'us' it will be enough.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#33]
DC,
Still here, abiding in allegiance. Been busy with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, those that I can’t vanquish are accepted under the assurance of the late great Evil Knievel that “Chicks dig scars”…
Speaking of which, study the scars, hopefully one day this hand will give you this coin in appreciation –

[/URL]
[/URL]

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice coin. Hope DC is doing okay.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RadioHack:
Speaking of which, study the scars, hopefully one day this hand will give you this coin in appreciation –

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/RadioHack/20151008_151049_zpsmumjuggz.jpg[/URL]

View Quote

That is super cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#36]
DC,
Still here, abiding in allegiance. Been busy with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, those that I can’t vanquish are accepted under the assurance of the late great Evil Knievel that “Chicks dig scars”…

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/RadioHack/20151008_151049_zpsmumjuggz.jpg[/URL]
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/RadioHack/20151008_150614_zpsvhtdaxen.jpg[/URL]

View Quote

Is that a for real coin or did you make that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
DC,

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/RadioHack/20151008_150614_zpsvhtdaxen.jpg[/URL]

It's real, found it in an old box of coins, mostly Victorian era stuff, whilst not a numismatist, I did have a fascination with coins for a while and would buy odds and ends at different places I was traipsing through.  For some reason I think it might be from the eastern orthodox part of the world.
Going through a bit of purge lately and came across it, imagine my surprise.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]

It's real, found it in an old box of coins, mostly Victorian era stuff, whilst not a numismatist, I did have a fascination with coins for a while and would buy odds and ends at different places I was traipsing through.  For some reason I think it might be from the eastern orthodox part of the world.
View All Quotes
DC,

Singularly one of the coolest bits of metal I have seen.

...and now I have the image saved...
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]
DC, I really want to read the whole book. In exchange, I'll give you whatever amount of money you feel is sufficient. I plan to tell many others to give you money, and read your book. Please make the book commercially available.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By PFunkk:
DC, I really want to read the whole book. In exchange, I'll give you whatever amount of money you feel is sufficient. I plan to tell many others to give you money, and read your book. Please make the book commercially available.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#41]

PLEASE SEE SOLDIER'S RELEVANT PIC AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST....

Alive and well, although schedule discombobulated.

--Lt/Beaker, dude, tone perfect.  If comfortable (and have not done so already) please

post brief review Injured on Amazon.  And yes, the conv. here is key/critical part of

this experiment.  Good to see you, Lt.

--2t2/Crash, yep and much appreciated on waiting.  Writing time cut by 90 percent

recently, but pace slow/still continuing.  THE STORY IS FINISHED.  Editing/cover/etc

pretty laborious.

--Greyguy, I flatter myself to hope that people will want to reread.  Some very dense

passages here.  Some useful behavioral/procedural notes.  Maria 'love-bombing'/carrotandsticking Brian.  Conscious/unconscious 'selective memory'/etc.  Thank you, Grey.

--Vaquero, much thanks all.  Someday blogging I might have time to show generation

of Gehriverse/'millionaires' in detail: briefly, to counter a state mechanism, state sized resources very

helpful.  Even better: be embedded within the state.  Might be...essential?  And prepare

to,hopefully....co-exist.  Combat/fighting/war/contests often/commonly not about 'winning' but creating a manageable/tolerable state of 'friction.'  Enough said at this time.

--StimpsonJ, I find it hard to prompt my friends.  But I fear a substantial literacy requirement

might impede the progress of our .22 calibre compatriots (stepping lightly, I hope).  We shall see!

In my next pic I will consult my stack of un-built receivers for you, and see who wants to step

into the light.

--Radiohack, we are full squared.  A copper coin will do, and a book for a coin seems a fine

idea.  Slings/fortune, oh yes.  Been punching that hand through glass, Radio?  And yes, many

of us would have been perfectly happy, in quieter times, to be numismatists, and antiquarians,

and saddle makers, or gardeners, or fishermen.

--zoe17, as time flies on other non-pleasant tasks, I am glad to see that I have not strained

your patience to snapping.  This, and others, will be written/published, short of death, which

I feel is very far away.

--airsix, super cool, yes indeed.

--StimpsonJ, he didn't make it.  But he probably could have.  And so could you?

--Radiohack, don't purge to much.  I deeply regret my (very few) semi purges.  Favoring the small,

heavy, and useful, has kept my purges to a minimum, thank goodness.

--StimpsonJ, save images, yep, I have a 'library' of metallic eye candy images stored over the

years.  Below is the first one I've ever made for self/others.

--PFunkk, we are fully squared.  A handshake, some day.

--zoe17, likewise.  Assume I will be at this for many years.  Don't want to say how many years,

don't want to shake the plausibility meter.
A Soldier's Son relevant pic: Billy's project 1911, Colt slide/essex frame, Colt commercial safety, C/S

internals, Pachmayrs, StimpsonJ style.  A Radiohack coin.  A Piddler Morgan silver dollar.  A well traveled Gerber. Projectiles. A representation of actual 'wealth'...dog hair...lint...

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Stunning, the confluence of coincidence! That Colt slide wouldn't happen to be marked "Calibre .455" on the reverse would it? One just like it passed through my hands a year or so ago (complete with an Essex frame).
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Radio, no coincidences here...like minds, and so on.  No Calibre .455, the

off side is scrubbed/dished/blank, for no particular reason.  External is ffed,

internals unworn/dimensionally perfect.  Essex frames are cast, but the few

I have seen take G.I./colt/norinco parts with minimal/no fitting.  Sandpaper,

not files.  Slide scavenged from a fellow scavenger about five years ago, and a cosmoed wax paper

bag of G.I. sears/disconnectors/triggers/hammers/extractors
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Great pic. I'll bet that pistol could tell some tales!

Afterthought:  I thought Billy's was a Norinco?!  That's one of the things that kinda grabbed me when I started reading this, as I was shocked anyone other than another old codger such as myself would know about Norinco 1911 quality! ( Years ago Wilson Combat would only build 1911s from Colt, Springfield, and Norinco)
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#45]

--Piddler, project gun slide might very well be a bring back, dismantled to parts.

Has zero finish, obv., and the lack of finish seems 'worn' not 'removed' also

muzzle left and right slide definitely used, A LOT, as a hammer/percussion/pressure

tool, hundreds of micro-impacts.  Right side was filed, then sanded, to remove

marks/rust/whatever, reason unknown.  The original intact 1911/Essex frame

came with a reblued colt slide, looked very nice, slide now in my box o' slides,

replaced with this one, 'more character', fit precisely the same, functions perfect.

Billy carries two 1911's--the Norinco

and the project gun, Ceradyne front, 14 tend rounders plus ten + one in each

pistol to start the show.  When I made my first pass through Texas maybe ten years

ago, the Norincos were common at three hundred, they definitely seem to be fading,

now uncommon at five hundred.  I have handled quite a few and not seen one yet

that was not dimensionally 'perfect enough'--all G.I. and colt commercial parts so

far have been drop in, no fitting.  Maybe just luck.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#46]
--StimpsonJ, he didn't make it. But he probably could have. And so could you?
View Quote

Don't bother me with coins when I have other work to do!

It's almost forge weather...
I am almost healed from my recent surgery...
I need to anneal a few files...then try to kill at least two in the quench...and then we'll see what kind of 'coin' I might make.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Checking in.  Still here, eagerly awaiting the day when I am able to cross your palm with silver.  

Our collective tribulations are yet to be fully realized, but we shall persevere and survive. Haec omnia transeunt.

Knowledge, shared and cared for by librarians of all types, will make the difference.   Thank you once again for sharing your muse with us.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#48]

PLEASE SEE SOLDIER'S RELEVANT PIC AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST

View Quote

What a beautifully composed picture!
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By highstepper:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By highstepper:

PLEASE SEE SOLDIER'S RELEVANT PIC AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/8990/fz6L0K.jpg

Agreed.

DC - any idea on a release date?  Also, a happy coincidence. The use of Sabatier knives (remember my question?) has continued to resonate with me. When I was in my cabin in the mountains, guess what kind of knives I have there?  I had totally forgotten.....
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top